“ignorant and despicable”

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Wow, just wow.....

Florida State fan’s job in jeopardy after lynching meme targeted Willie Taggart

By Joshua Rhett Miller

181126-racially-charged-post-fsu-coach-feature.jpg

Willie TaggartGetty Images

An employee for Hilton Grand Vacations has been suspended after a Facebook post called for the lynching of Florida State University’s first black head football coach, company officials announced.

A spokeswoman for the Orlando-based vacation-ownership company confirmed to the Tallahassee Democrat on Monday that the unnamed employee could face further discipline, including termination, after a Facebook post featured a meme depicting Willie Taggart being lynched alongside the words: “Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing your rep.”

“Our concern regarding this situation is a top priority,” company spokeswoman Lauren George told the newspaper. “The team member responsible has been suspended while further action is being considered. We want to ensure all Team Members’ behavior is consistent with our values and code of conduct.”

The post, which has since been removed, came after the Seminoles finished a disappointing 5-7 season in Taggart’s first campaign with a 41-14 blowout loss on Saturday to in-state rival Florida. It marked the team’s first losing season since 1976 and ended Florida State’s 36 consecutive trips to a bowl game.

“I’m dead %$#@!serious,” the author of the post responded to a critical comment about the meme. “This is how far I’m willing to go to get rid of this clown.”

Second Judicial Circuit State Attorney Jack Campbell told the Tallahassee Democrat that his office learned of the post on Saturday. An investigation by the Leon County Sheriff’s Office and the university’s police department is now ongoing, he said.

“It’s hard for me to prosecute a Facebook post,” Campbell told the newspaper. “That’s why we’re working with our law enforcement partners to find out what the true facts are. Then I can make a determination of what charges are appropriate.”

The post appeared on the Facebook profile of an account with the name of Tom Shand, Campbell said, adding that he only knew that name based on media reports and a screenshot of the offensive image that showed Taggart’s face atop a body of a black man hanging from a tree.

FSU’s president, meanwhile, blasted the post as “ignorant and despicable” in a statement released on Sunday.

“I speak for the entire FSU community in expressing our disgust and extreme disappointment, and I am glad the state attorney is investigating,” FSU President John Thrasher wrote on Twitter. “Coach Taggart has our full support and as true Seminoles know, he is a respected member of the FSU family.”

Taggart, for his part, said he intended to meet with each player and coach during the next week to determine how to best get the Seminoles back to their winning ways.

“Timetable, I can’t tell you a timetable when we’re going to make anything right now, but we will do what’s best for Florida State football,” Taggart told reporters on Saturday.

After attending a number of tailgates where Florida State fans were in attendance as the opposing team I've always thought that school has the lowest of the low life fans I have ever seen for so many reasons. This just continues to confirm it.

Disgusting stuff.

After attending a number of tailgates where Florida State fans were in attendance as the opposing team I've always thought that school has the lowest of the low life fans I have ever seen for so many reasons. This just continues to confirm it.

Disgusting stuff.

They play Uconn at Prudential Center on December 8

Cmon...if the coach was spit on ...then I could see that being a story...fb posts are nothing

Cmon...if the coach was spit on ...then I could see that being a story...fb posts are nothing
Really? Showing some true colors yourself.

When does a playful meme cross the line of hate speech? A depiction of a lynching, that he’s dead effing serious, is ok in your book? Those were some serious times in the south and appears you feel it’s all not that bad, a step below spitting.

Keep politics and name calling (edited the above) out of this. That discussion is not for this board.

When you see posts like this and other over the top , demeaning posts from fans of programs in the Deep South and Big - 12 territory and elsewhere you realize how mild the criticism on this Board is with some rare exceptions and Dan and Tom have taken the appropriate action to rid us of those posters .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT