ADVERTISEMENT

“NIL” getting government attention

HallGuy23

Senior
Jun 3, 2020
Likely won’t matter, but it seems everybody knows it bs.. Including big name coaches from previous statements.. if anything, read the last paragraph of the article..

Reactions: walshtrips
If colleges are made to treat athletes as employees, there will be one sport at Seton Hall, basketball.

Reactions: CL82
NIL is a facade for pay for play. That’s no secret. With no guardrails it destroys the competitive balance in sports.

There’s no closing Pandora’s box tho so we need to accept the new reality of participating in a professional league with no salary cap.

The NCAA seemed pretty competitive this year.

A not so bad option would be college athletes forming a union and then collectively bargaining with the NCAA. Then you would have the potential for rules, caps, etc. Because the majority of the members of the union would be from non revenue sports, they’d have voting power and could potentially steer this to a less disgusting outcome. I would think congress would be open to granting anti trust exemptions to the NCAA given their interest in NIL. Of course, you’d need the NCAA to admit these are employees first…

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
If this is the way this generation wants to go, let them lay in that bed. Issue W-2's. No more scholarships. Income is taxable at ordinary income rates. Players are kicked out or encouraged to leave when they don't perform.

Then they'll come back with crocodile tears about the scholarships and how tough it is facing accountability for their performance.

Likely won’t matter, but it seems everybody knows it bs.. Including big name coaches from previous statements.. if anything, read the last paragraph of the article..

Maybe, the first step to at minimum, make taxable the value of the scholarship, for those athletes above $X” dollars in NIL money.

Second, maybe a “tax” on institutions whose athletes are receiving NIL money above $x dollar threshold, with says tax money distributed to schools below such threshold. Thus creating a theoretical “cap” , but one more like baseball.
I’m not a big proponent of raising taxes, but this to me, is not that.

Look…I agree that implementing either or both of those may be, at best troublesome, and at worst, illegal.

I’m just throwing concepts out that can definitely be tweaked, but with the idea of creating some rationality to what is now a free for all.

And…for what is being paid now, mostly “Pay for play “ with free dollars truly related to “ NIL”, just recognition that there needs to be some level of control.

I don’t know “the” right answer, but do know that something must be done…and soon…or “gems” like March Madness are at severe risk of extinction.

And that, as noted elsewhere, would be bad for everyone involved.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
if anything, read the last paragraph of the article..

I’m thinking there’s about 100 schools that will end up leaving Division 1 or dropping sports entirely over the next few years. Look at St Francis in Brooklyn, they’re the canary in the coal mine…

I’m thinking there’s about 100 schools that will end up leaving Division 1 or dropping sports entirely over the next few years. Look at St Francis in Brooklyn, they’re the canary in the coal mine…
Once unionization/salaried employees/ or government gets involved it’s a guarantee to be mass exodus of schools.. will be interesting to see how many bite the bullet now before it all happens

Most sports besides men’s basketball and football, and perhaps women’s basketball (for some) and a few outliers here or there, are not pay for play. At least I don’t think.

What I don’t get about the men’s basketball/football situation is the seeming ignorance of the significant annual compensation athletes receive in the form of a scholarship. That is a significant number at most schools. So you take the value of that plus all the other benefits, and when you ascribe a number, it is significant for most all the kids who play.

On the free market are some of these kids worth more than that from a revenue production standpoint - of course. But there are various professional options available and the NBA is lifting the one and done rule.

I get why these kids want a piece, on top of that, of revenue generated from the school selling their jersey, using their name/likeness in video games or advertisements, and even from the substantial revenue generated with TV. I can get my head around all that.

What I don’t get is the notion we want a system that requires me showing up somewhere to “donate” $100 directly into the pocket of someone who falls into the category above in exchange for having s slice of pizza with them (or something like that). Or simply just cutting checks for a random fund that I have no control over where it goes and how it is distributer. We can call it “supporting” student athletes, but we know what it means and what it is for. I’m always loathe for government outreach in any area, but if they can fix this I’m all ears.

Most sports besides men’s basketball and football, and perhaps women’s basketball (for some) and a few outliers here or there, are not pay for play. At least I don’t think.
It is amazing to see the true NIL deals that some of the female athletes have gotten like LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne - $2.3 million. But this is what NIL is designed to do. She's created a marketable brand and should benefit from it.
What I don’t get about the men’s basketball/football situation is the seeming ignorance of the significant annual compensation athletes receive in the form of a scholarship. That is a significant number at most schools. So you take the value of that plus all the other benefits, and when you ascribe a number, it is significant for most all the kids who play.

On the free market are some of these kids worth more than that from a revenue production standpoint - of course. But there are various professional options available and the NBA is lifting the one and done rule.

I get why these kids want a piece, on top of that, of revenue generated from the school selling their jersey, using their name/likeness in video games or advertisements, and even from the substantial revenue generated with TV. I can get my head around all that.
And kids should be able to get compensated if their name and image is being used for promotion or jerseys, etc. The whole P4P concept just rubs me the wrong way because you can have a mega-whale that will bankroll a roster purely for control and self-recognition. I know it may be pocket change for a guy like Repole, but an alumni donating $1 million a year to pay player salaries, where that money can do more good for society. I'll get off my soapbox.
What I don’t get is the notion we want a system that requires me showing up somewhere to “donate” $100 directly into the pocket of someone who falls into the category above in exchange for having s slice of pizza with them (or something like that). Or simply just cutting checks for a random fund that I have no control over where it goes and how it is distributer. We can call it “supporting” student athletes, but we know what it means and what it is for. I’m always loathe for government outreach in any area, but if they can fix this I’m all ears.
The cynical part of me wonders why a Florida Congressman who is a University of Florida graduate is raising this issue with University of Miami in the Final Four....

I'm not sure they are ignorant to it, the whole concept is just a sham though. Far majority of these kids aren't playing for the education. They are playing because this the minor leagues. If we told them tomorrow that they no longer need to go to class, but instead could take a quarter of the equivalent value of the scholarship in cash... how many would just take the cash and skip the degree?

We're just at a weird spot right now where they tried recognize that there was some aspect of "professionalism" to these "students" but it just seems like it was too hard to create a good set of rules so they just threw them all away and hoped it will be worked out eventually.

If this is the way this generation wants to go, let them lay in that bed. Issue W-2's. No more scholarships. Income is taxable at ordinary income rates. Players are kicked out or encouraged to leave when they don't perform.

Then they'll come back with crocodile tears about the scholarships and how tough it is facing accountability for their performance.
And the Feds would love to get their hands on these NIL numbers being thrown around. Are these guys filing tax documents? This money trail is nutty.

And the Feds would love to get their hands on these NIL numbers being thrown around. Are these guys filing tax documents? This money trail is nutty.
I feel a good Joe Giudice story coming on....

• Haha
Reactions: Piratz
Once unionization/salaried employees/ or government gets involved it’s a guarantee to be mass exodus of schools.. will be interesting to see how many bite the bullet now before it all happens
And a mass exitus of fans. Once college sports becomes an unvarnished G league without even the thin veneer of amateurism and student athletes, a lot of people will lose interest.

Reactions: Jerry1992
Agreed. CL82. On my way to losing interest. News of one of our best players leaving today does not help. Having doubts Hall can compete in the future in this new world of college (pro) athletics. Btw. UConn will be fine and especially when they win it all on Monday. 😀

Last edited:
And a mass exitus of fans. Once college sports becomes an unvarnished G league without even the thin veneer of amateurism and student athletes, a lot of people will lose interest.
Agreed - why they want to turn it into the same trash product the NBA has is beyond me. Last thing I want to see is a 160-159 game that comes down to the last second.

The pinnacle of the sport for me was Princeton - Georgetown in 1989. A game of opposites, a team that used up all 45 seconds of the shot clock vs. a highly athletic team that wanted to push the pace.

When they started reducing the shot clock, I started losing interest. For me, the fun is the conflicting styles, sort of like the original UFC. Parity and conformity take the enjoyment out...not into it.

Government looking to kill 501(c)3's used for NILs. There's no way the true intention of these non profits is to serve a need other than paying college athletes. Wait til all these people take charitable deductions and have to amend because they didn't give to a company that passes a 501(c)3 audit

I re-upted my season tickets, but, man, it was a close call.

I'm definitely considering not renewing. I've been going since I was a child during the 99-00 season. It's not the same anymore. To be determined.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT