Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Agree?

https://nypost.com/2020/03/29/ranking-all-eight-movies-in-rocky-series/

Ranking all eight movies in ‘Rocky’ series
By Peter Botte

sylvester-stallone-1.jpg

Sylvester StalloneGetty Images

During the coronavirus shutdown, each day we will bring you a recommendation from The Post’s Peter Botte for a sports movie, TV show or book that perhaps was before your time or somehow slipped between the cracks of your viewing/reading history. If you’re looking for an eight-part sports movie binge, here you go:

The “Rocky” and “Creed” series
Streaming: All eight movies, Amazon Prime.

8. Rocky V (1990): Pretty sure we all can agree this one was a campy and clumsy mess of the Sylvester Stallone franchise, featuring real-life boxer Tommy Morrison as supposed protégé Tommy “Machine” Gunn and an incredibly non-credible plot of Rocky’s bumbling brother-in-law Paulie (Burt Young) losing the entirety of the family fortune.

Botte Blows: 1 of 5.

7. Rocky IV (1985): This probably will be an unpopular take, but this movie largely is contrived crap, too, from Apollo Creed’s (Carl Weathers) death, to Rocky single-handedly taking down the Cold War, especially the hard-work-versus-steroids training sequence and the politburo’s standing ovation during his “We all can change” speech after defeating Ivan Drago (Dolph Lundgren) in Russia.

Botte blows: 2.5 of 5

6. Rocky Balboa (2006): This one actually regains some of the franchise’s charm tossed aside in the previous two, particularly Rocky’s relationship with his now-adult son (“This is Us” star Milo Ventimiglia) after the death of his beloved wife, Adrian (Talia Shire).

Botte Blows: 2.7 of 5

5. Creed II (2018): The magic and heart of the first “Creed” entry is partly lost in the sequel, especially with the forced premise of Drago, his wife (Brigitte Nielsen) and their son reemerging to fight Apollo’s kid Adonis Johnson (Michael B. Jordan), now the heavyweight champ.

Botte Blows: 3.5 of 5

4. Rocky III (1982): Apollo retires after losing the belt, but comes back to train his former foe after Mickey dies while money-changes-everything Rocky loses the title to stronger, younger and meaner, Clubber Lang (our introduction to Mr. T). Also featuring a pre-Hulkamania Hulk Hogan as charity-wrestling opponent Thunderlips.

Botte Blows:
3.6 of 5

3. Rocky II (1979): Apollo goads Rocky back into the ring after exclaiming “there ain’t gonna be no rematch,” Adrian falls into a coma during childbirth and implores Rocky to “win” when she wakes up and Rocky wins the title. You know, the usual, but it mostly works.

Botte Blows: 3.6 of 5

2. Creed (2015): Jordan is fantastic as Apollo’s out-of-wedlock boxer son, “The Cosby Show’s” Phylicia Rashad signs on as Creed’s former wife and Adonis’ adoptive mom, and many critics believed Stallone should have copped an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, though he lost to Mark Rylance for “Bridge of Spies.”

Botte Blows: 4.4 of 5

1. Rocky (1976): A heartfelt underdog tale on the screen and off, “Rocky” — written by and starring Stallone — became the first of three sports movies ever to win Best Picture at the Academy Awards, upsetting heavyweight contenders “All the President’s Men,” “Network” and “Taxi Driver.” Rocky losing a decision to Apollo in the climactic scene actually is the perfect ending.

Botte Blows: 4.8 of 5

Quote of Note: “Yo, Adrian, I did it!” Rocky, after defeating Apollo Creed for the heavyweight title in Rocky II.

Nope, don’t agree at all.

As soon as IV was ranked 7th I threw the rest of the list out even though I don’t put it at the top. Rocky Did single-handedly end the Cold War while supplying 2 classic montages (Lamborghini Jalpa scene and working out in a Russian barn scene) and endless 1-liners (if he dies, he dies, I must break you). It is a beautiful representation of hard work overcoming technology and science, blood, sweat and a bag of rocks on a rope over weight machines and steroids.

Pauly’s stupid robot, Brigitte Nielsen’s high-and-tight vs. Talia Shire’s wholesome rat’s nest, five years after the Miracle on Ice smack in the middle of Reagan’s presidency. No way, no how is this 7 out of 8.

Throw the damn towel! on this list.

A lot of these lists since the Creed reboot. 1, 2 and 8 always consistent, with a lot of shuffling around in the middle. Personally, I’d rank Rocky Balboa higher.

Rocky IV probably doesn't get it’s due because the story doesn’t age as well as the others but I’d never complain about watching it.

1. Rocky I
2. Creed
3. Rocky II
4. Rocky Balboa
5. Rocky IV
6. Rocky III
7. Creed II
8. Rocky V

Rocky 1 and 2 are 1&1a. The rest you can order any way you like.

I agree although Rocky III is really good too. And while most can agree that Rocky V is last, i really think if he would have gotten in the ring with Tom Morrison versus a street fight, I would have a totally different take on it. I also was not a huge fan of Creed II, but maybe i need to watch it again.

And here I thought it was a shout out to Adrian to get his son to transfer to SH and not some nonsense about Rocky.

I would have swapped Creed II & Rocky III, thats it. Creed II isn't as good as one obviously, but everyone knew that was gonna happen when Koogler wasn't going to be involved. It's still a good movie and fun entry in the series.

While I love Rocky IV as much as anyone else (one of those childhood/80's era defining flicks), I can't actually defend it as good art like you can alot of the other movies in the series,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT