Different home and road numbers

Benches were behind the stage basket at Walsh

Walsh had stage seating

Above the entrance was about 10 rows of seating

Watched Nick Werkman

You parked in the lot facing Walsh

Only radio outlet was WSOU

Hallline was a must listen

You asked people, " What is this point shaving in the news " ?

Saturday games started at 8:15 PM

There was 1 ECAC tv game a week on Saturday

Channel 11 did select games on tv with Frank Messner

NJTV televised select games with play-by-play by Perry ( forget his first name )

Playing home games at a large arena was a pipe dream

You though the Hall was going to upset the Bonnies with Bob Lanier

You drove through a snowstorm to see Ewing play at Walsh

Students shouted " Don't eat bugs " as the band played

No standing for the first basket but toilet paper was thrown on the court after the first basket

You thought and still think we were screwed by the NCAA with the Mosley penalty

Grunnings was a popular after game spot

You were at the first Big East game, BC v. Seton Hall at Walsh

You remember the April snowstorm when PJ was hired

Finally, Your kids you brought to games are now in their 50s

I thought the Frank Messer-announced games were on WOR Ch. 9.

After our return to the Garden in Dec. 1969 (against the perennial national power, Lafayette College!---who won) double headers there drew about 5,000 on good nights.

One year, maybe 1971-72, we played California Irvine twice. That same year we broke a long losing streak with an impressive home victory over Biscayne College.

At least one starting forward in early 70's was 6'2". Not unusual for our center to be 6'5".

With less competition on the air waves, games on WSOU could be heard---- not real clearly--- in SW CT.

When were benches behind stage baskets moved? Pre 1968 for sure.

Reactions: TrueBlue1989
1. Sitting behind the team bench when Raf was the coach and catching his jacket when he threw it into the crowd as he did most every game.

2. Watching Raf so upset at a ref's call that he pulled the chair out from under one of his coaches who fell to the floor.

3. Tapping assistant coach Mike Brown on the back during a game and his turning around with a look that could have killed until I told him an opposing player was hiding in the backcourt faking he was on the bench while we took a foul shot. He imm yelled at one of our players to go back and cover him.

4. Sitting just a few seats away while I was in my mid 20ies from Tony Bozzella who also had season tickets. Didn't know this until the day of his hiring and Pat Lyons introduced him to me.

5. Going tone deft watching the most exciting ball I ever watched at Walsh with Galis, Tynes and Mosley leading the team.

6. Watching the Pirates destroy #1 St Johns with Mullin and company in the first half during the early stages of PJ's career only to have the favor returned in spades during the second half by the Redmen.

7. Watching PJ's Final Four team early in the season destroy Rutgers at Walsh and hearing for the first time someone talking about the squad being good enough to make the last 4 teams standing.

That person? None other than Rutgers head coach Bob Wenzel.

8. Watching the Pirates with Danny Calandrillo, Howard McNeil, Daryl Devero, Clark Young, Mike Ingram and Sir John Collins sprint out to a 7-1 record with the loss at Kentucky and a win over FF Houston only to have McNeil, Young and Devero miss the second half of the season due to academics with the team's final record being 9-16.

9. Being in the stands the day Ramon Ramos almost lost his life in a car accident and watching the Pirates play that day at Walsh and being upset by I believe Fordham in a game that had an incredible pall over it.

10. Being on campus and seeing Chris Chavannes who told me that Andre Barrett had quietly verbaled to Tommy Amaker. Minutes later I congratulated Amaker in the Rec Center who looked at me with a sheepish grin telling me he didn't known what I was talking about.

I thought the Frank Messer-announced games were on WOR Ch. 9.

After our return to the Garden in Dec. 1969 (against the perennial national power, Lafayette College!---who won) double headers there drew about 5,000 on good nights.

One year, maybe 1971-72, we played California Irvine twice. That same year we broke a long losing streak with an impressive home victory over Biscayne College.

At least one starting forward in early 70's was 6'2". Not unusual for our center to be 6'5".

With less competition on the air waves, games on WSOU could be heard---- not real clearly--- in SW CT.

When were benches behind stage baskets moved? Pre 1968 for sure.
The first game I attended WSOU didn't exist (I think). Benches were on the left and right first row of bleachers. Pirates lost to then #1 team Holy Cross. Bob Davies was coach and also played for Rochester Royals. Walter Dukes was squirled away at the Prep (had a few boarders at that time). Went to my first game (Holy Cross) in Feb/1947 age 10. Graduated from SHP (Pony Pirates) in 1954 and SHU in 1958. Saw many many games.

Taking in a game at Walsh as a freshman in 74/75, it started a love affair with Setonia hoops that is going strong almost 50 years later. Feels like yesterday.

One favorite bit - being able to sit down close and abuse Mickey Crowley - the colorful ref.

1. Sitting behind the team bench when Raf was the coach and catching his jacket when he threw it into the crowd as he did most every game.

2. Watching Raf so upset at a ref's call that he pulled the chair out from under one of his coaches who fell to the floor.

3. Tapping assistant coach Mike Brown on the back during a game and his turning around with a look that could have killed until I told him an opposing player was hiding in the backcourt faking he was on the bench while we took a foul shot. He imm yelled at one of our players to go back and cover him.

4. Sitting just a few seats away while I was in my mid 20ies from Tony Bozzella who also had season tickets. Didn't know this until the day of his hiring and Pat Lyons introduced him to me.

5. Going tone deft watching the most exciting ball I ever watched at Walsh with Galis, Tynes and Mosley leading the team.

6. Watching the Pirates destroy #1 St Johns with Mullin and company in the first half during the early stages of PJ's career only to have the favor returned in spades during the second half by the Redmen.

7. Watching PJ's Final Four team early in the season destroy Rutgers at Walsh and hearing for the first time someone talking about the squad being good enough to make the last 4 teams standing.

8. Watching the Pirates with Danny Calandrillo, Howard McNeil, Daryl Devero, Clark Young, Mike Ingram and Sir John Collins sprint out to a 7-1 record with the loss at Kentucky and a win over FF Houston only to have McNeil, Young and Devero miss the second half of the season due to academics with the team's final record being 9-16.

9. Being in the stands the day Ramon Ramos almost lost his life in a car accident and watching the Pirates play that day at Walsh and being upset by I believe Fordham in a game that had an incredible pall over it.

10. Being on campus and seeing Chris Chavannes who told me that Andre Barrett had quietly verbaled to Tommy Amaker. Minutes later I congratulated Amaker in the Rec Center who looked at me with a sheepish grin telling me he didn't known what I was talking about.
Phenomenal list.

RAF’s coat throwing once cost him a wallet. After that, he told the team manager to never let him leave the locker room with the wallet in his jacket. If he did, he’d be off the team immediately. Enjoyed scouting players, primarily in CT, for him & Hoddy.

Reactions: CT Pirate

Was at that game. From euphoria to shock.

That team was real good. The win over the Phi Slamma Jamma UH team win at the Meadowlands was one of the best games I ever saw. Hakeem was a freshman coming off the bench. Dan Dunne held his own against him.

One of the most imposing players I remember was Otis Thorpe from Providence.

“1987 Wall Street” Daryll Hannah tells the big shots in suspenders to look out for The Hall.

How about the night I walk into Walsh and watch us against the Army . I noticed this crazy head coach of Army yelling and screaming all night . Little did I know how famous this coach would be . Bobby Knight .

Reactions: Halldan1
I remember waiting for the Setonian to come out so I could see what the roster was going to be like and see if there was anyone over 6'6'.

Coach Richie Regan

I also remember going to games to watch Manhattan, Fordham, LaSalle, St Francis (Brooklyn and PA) and and Army come into Walsh Gym.

1963 Roster​

PlayerClassPosHeightSummary
Nick WerkmanSRF6-333.2 Pts, 13.8 Reb, 2.1 Ast
Richie DecJRF6-514.3 Pts, 13.3 Reb, 2.1 Ast
Charley MitchelSOG6-27.7 Pts, 3.6 Reb, 4.6 Ast
Tony CuccoloSOF6-36.6 Pts, 6.1 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Golden SunkettSRG6-16.5 Pts, 6.0 Reb, 6.5 Ast
Randy ChaveSRG6-29.3 Pts, 4.6 Reb, 5.3 Ast
Harry SlatonJRC6-74.6 Pts, 6.3 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Gerry ReidySRG6-14.0 Pts, 0.8 Reb, 1.6 Ast
Jack DunleavySOF6-31.9 Pts, 1.4 Reb, 0.0 Ast
John EversSOG6-02.3 Pts, 1.1 Reb, 0.6 Ast
Bob PlocinikJRC6-91.5 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Joe BarlikJRF6-51.0 Pts, 1.4 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Jim KenneyG6-31.2 Pts, 0.2

Sitting right by Carnessecca the night we beat the Beaver Smith lead SJU, probably the biggest win by us in my 4 years. Louie had coached the Nets and just returned to SJU.

Never caught one of Raf's plaid, polyester jackets, and proud to say, I never owned one either. '70s men's fashion...lol

Being bummed out, listening to our opening round loss in the ecac post season tourney. Glenn Mosley on suspension, Fairfield beats us - the last game of my college years

Mrs Ade asking (begging...) me to take some extra tickets and give to friends because no one was picking up their free tickets.

My first game back after graduation - Glenn's Sr year. Glenn and Greg were as good as I hoped, and who is this Nick kid!!! Man, they knocked me out with how good they were and made me proud to see the movement in the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halldan1
Piratesal and I went to a tournament in Central Jersey to watch Jeremy Hazell near the conclusion of his HS senior year. A 3 star recruit back then. (you can stop laughing). There we saw Gonzo and Derm Player. After the first half when Hazell just dominated Gonzo came over to us. He said what do you think of HAZE zel? I said Bobby his name is HAA zel. He yells at me saying don't you think I know the name of a player I recruited. In the background Derm just laughed. Later he told me that was the first time Gonzo ever saw Jeremy play.

My bro in law graduated in 63. Huge hoops fan. When he visited my sister while in college, he would ask me who the 1st, or maybe 2nd or 3rd leading scorer in the nation was. If I didn't say Nick Werkman quickly, I got some punishment lol. He instilled my love of SHU hoops in me. Given the status of us in the 60s, was not that thrilled at the time but I was hooked.

From the old yearbooks which I pored over when I was young, I knew the 63 team, at least Nick and Slater and Dec and Sunkit. My frosh year at SHU, I am hitchhiking to Phillie to see a pal of mine (were going to go to Rider on Sat night to see Poco!!, had seen them earlier at SHU) and I get picked up by this light-skinned Black man in a nice Caddie. I get in the car, he asks me where I am going, and I ask him if he is Sonny Sunkit. He was shocked I recognized him and almost drove off the road. He remembered by Bro in law and we had a good ride.

My Jr yr, my neighbors - was living in an apt on Stuyvesant Ave in Irvington, Kenny House and Junior Foy, two very good guys and friendly to me.

Last edited:
During the Georgetown blizzard game, me and three friends were determined to get there totally against our mothers will. I was driving my Dodge Colt (a real chick magnet - lol) down the S turns on South Orange avenue and the car spun down the hill three revolutions into a snow bank. We got out of the car, pushed it out and continued on and made it to the game just in time for the tip. Nothing was stopping us from getting to that game. Ahh those were the days!

I didn’t drive, I WALKED in the snow to the game against Ewing and Georgetown! Remember them stalling to start because Callandrillo wasn’t there yet, and then the place cheering as he ran through the double doors in his overcoat straight out of the snow to quickly change into his uniform.

South Orange Village was deserted. That was the same day/storm when the plane crashed into the bridge in DC.

Danny making those GW shots v Providence, Princeton, and i think Florida Southern. The whole gym emptying onto the court in celebration.

Pregaming in the pub before going to the St Peters game, where they were running the 4 corners against us. I think halftime score was like 10-8. I think that was 1981.

Remembering how exciting it was when the BET moved to the Garden! My first BET was a bus trip to Hartford from campus to watch Hoddy's team get lit up by Nova after losing half the team.

The ND game at the Brendan Byrne, where I am pretty sure that, after the amount of beer we all consumed, they changed the rules on beer being sold there during college games!

Road trips to Gtown, BC, Nova and St Johns in those great little bandboxes.

Being at the last game at the "old" Walsh, I think v West Point, then having to go to the freezer known as South Mountain Arena.

I hope this is all true and not some figment of my imagination.

I also remember attending a game at Walsh coached by Chris Kinum (during the Raftery suspension due to the Mosley situation). His real job was working as a high school teacher but there he was coaching the Hall. Imagine that nowadays.

Being at the last game at the "old" Walsh, I think v West Point, then having to go to the freezer known as South Mountain Arena.
If I recall correctly, the last Walsh game prior to the temporary move to South Mountain was the UConn game in March 1985. That year we were 0-15 in the BE entering that game with a freshman group of Mark Bryant, James Major and Martin Salley.

I believe the West Point game you are thinking of occurred during Christmas break in 1986. There was an issue at South Mountain, a broken pipe or something like that, and they moved the game to Walsh (Rec Center construction and all).

Remember, we moved to the original Walsh when the Rec Center opened (fall of 1987) for most of our non-conference games and continued to play most of the buy games there until through the Amaker years (Eddie Griffin's triple double was at Walsh).

Bob Plocinik - bench player on ‘64-‘65 team. When Richie had him enter a game, the fans knew why. He was the enforcer who was going to repay an opponent for unnecessary roughness on a Hall player. After committing a hard foul on the offender, he was back in the bench. BTW - very nice guy.

Reactions: HALL85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT