ADVERTISEMENT

5 questions entering the Big East

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

College basketball season is almost here!

Between now and Nov. 6th, we’ll take an in-depth look at different conferences around the country.

Today’s focus is on the Big East:

1. Will the Big East be the best conference in college basketball in 2023-24?
It’s more than realistic. Seven Big East programs — Marquette, UConn, Creighton, Villanova, St. John’s, Xavier, and Providence — are currently ranked in the Top 39 of the ROTHSTEIN 45. Three of those teams — Marquette, UConn, and Creighton — are ranked in the Top 10 of the ROTHSTEIN 45. It’s going to be very interesting to see how well this conference performs in November and December during the non-league portion of the schedule. If the Big East flourishes during the first two months of the season, seven of its 11 teams could wind up hearing their names called on Selection Sunday.

2. Can UConn repeat?
It’s more than possible. The Huskies won’t necessarily be expected to be the favorite entering the 2024 NCAA Tournament, but they do return two starters — Tristen Newton and Alex Karaban — from last season’s team that won the national title. 7-3 sophomore big man Donovan Clingan is also primed for a monster season after the departure of Adama Sanogo while Rutgers grad transfer Cam Spencer should instantly add spacing and shot making. If five-star freshman Stephon Castle can be a consistent presence as a starter and Dan Hurley can develop his bench, UConn could be in position to again make a deep run in March Madness.

3. What are realistic expectations for St. John’s?
To win an NCAA Tournament game for the first time since 2000. Fans of this program seem to have delusions of grandeur on an annual basis, but this time it’s warranted. With Rick Pitino on the sidelines and a deep roster anchored by veteran big man Joel Soriano (15.2 points, 11.9 rebounds) and Penn transfer Jordan Dingle (23.4 points), St. John’s has the requisites to become a national story. It’s been over 23 years since the Red Storm have advanced in March Madness, but this season it’s within reach.

4. Which Big East transfer is not getting enough national attention?
Creighton’s Steven Ashworth. The 6-1 guard made 111 three-point shots last season at Utah State while averaging 16.2 points and 4.5 assists. Ashworth has also never shot lower than 36.5 percent from three-point range during the first three years of his college career. The Bluejays didn’t want to lose Ryan Nembhard (Gonzaga) to the transfer portal following last season’s run to the Elite Eight, but Ashworth is a quality replacement. This kid is tailor made to play for Greg McDermott.

5. Who is the sleeper?
Georgetown. Call it the “Ed Cooley factor”. While the Hoyas were a combined 13-50 over the past two seasons under Patrick Ewing, Cooley has assembled a foundation good enough for Georgetown to be a nuisance to play against on a nightly basis. The Hoyas’ perimeter troika of Illinois transfer Jayden Epps, Jay Heath, and North Carolina transfer Dontrez Styles is solid and as long as Cooley is Georgetown’s head coach, this team’s competitive spirit will mirror its leader. Remember: Cooley led Providence to seven of the last nine NCAA Tournaments before taking his current post. He didn’t come to Washington D.C. to be an afterthought.

Leftovers​

I look for UCONN to peak (...really peak) during the last half of the BE schedule and into the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: CL82
As of today I'm going with

1. Marquette
2. Creighton
3. UConn
4. Villanova
5. St John's

6. Seton Hall
7. Providence
8. Xavier (injuries)

9. Georgetown
10. Butler
11. DePaul

I'll update this weekly as the season takes place

How about everyone else?

The Georgetown at Providence game just might be the most intriguing one in the conference this season.

Bad enough that Cooley betrayed the trust in those that gave him 100% of their hearts and souls but then he leaves under questioning circumstances with that next stop being a Big East rival.

I'll play

1. Uconn - No BE swoon this year
2. Marquette - Cohesive returning talent - but now the hunted
3. Creighton - Lots of great shooters still
4. Villanova - If transfers meld well with Moore & Dixon could be higher

5. Seton Hall - Naysayers get your laughs in now
6. St John's - Pitino or not still St John's. Too much early respect
7. Providence - Besides Carter will back court hold up
8. Xavier - Injuries kill front court

9. Butler - Just don't see much here
10. Georgetown - Too much respect #2
11. Depaul - It's Depaul

7-3 sophomore big man Donovan Clingan is also primed for a monster season after the departure of Adama Sanogo.
I can’t understand the Clingan love. Been watching his games since High School.

He’s got brick hands and isn’t a good finisher (misses lots of “gimmes” from close). Offensive range is limited to 2-3 feet from the rim. Can’t create for himself.

He’s a good college player, sure. Great mobility, motor, and length (especially on defense). I just vehemently disagree with the top-10 pick projections and general praise being directed his way.

He may have “big name” status, but tell me, how different is his game + impact than Ro Gill’s?

• Haha
Reactions: CL82
I'll play

11. Depaul - It's Depaul
Interesting. Agee with much of what you post with my only thought being why do you show so little respect for SJU?

1) Marquette
2) UCONN
3) Creighton
4) Villanova
5) St John's

6) Providence
7) Seton Hall
8) Xavier (injuries)

9) Georgetown
10) DePaul
11) Butler

Interesting. Agee with much of what you post with my only thought being why do you show so little respect for SJU?
1. Besides Soriano, all new players. Most teams with NIL etc. have lots of new players to mix in with returnees but they are a totally new team. Chemistry?

2. Many of the new players are from the MAAC and IVY, may have some issues stepping up to the BE.

3. Playing time issues with experienced players seeing less time than they're used to.

4. May take Pitino 2 or 3 years instead of 1 to be a top 25 team as they are now touted.

5. Wishful thinking??;)

I can’t understand the Clingan love. Been watching his games since High School.

He’s got brick hands and isn’t a good finisher (misses lots of “gimmes” from close). Offensive range is limited to 2-3 feet from the rim. Can’t create for himself.

He’s a good college player, sure. Great mobility, motor, and length (especially on defense). I just vehemently disagree with the top-10 pick projections and general praise being directed his way.

He may have “big name” status, but tell me, how different is his game + impact than Ro Gill’s?
Offensively, his game and Gill's are night-and-day.

Clingan is a stud in both ends. If we had him our fan base would be toying with the hybrid Walton/Edes comparisons.

I will never doubt Pitino but I could see that team struggling a bit early and then really gelling in Jan/Feb. So many new players who have never played together or been coached by him.

The Cooley fawning in the media never ends.
Cooley

242 153 .612, 3-7 NCAA, 1 tourney, 1 reg season
Willard

225- 161 .583, 1-5 NCAA, 1 tourney, 1 reg season

Willard gets his share of fawning and did slightly worse. Though we don't seem to complain about that.
Cooley's a good coach and the media fawns over lot worse...

Reactions: Bluebeard
1. Besides Soriano, all new players. Most teams with NIL etc. have lots of new players to mix in with returnees but they are a totally new team. Chemistry?

2. Many of the new players are from the MAAC and IVY, may have some issues stepping up to the BE.

3. Playing time issues with experienced players seeing less time than they're used to.

4. May take Pitino 2 or 3 years instead of 1 to be a top 25 team as they are now touted.

5. Wishful thinking??;)
I tend to agree with You👍 Hall 84 regarding Johnnies but disagree about Providence ( Team is very well constructed )and think Nova ( despite it's Coach )is best of Big East.

Reactions: Hall84
I tend to agree with You👍 Hall 84 regarding Johnnies but disagree about Providence ( Team is very well constructed )and think Nova ( despite it's Coach )is best of Big East.
Wouldn't shock me to see Providence end up 5th over the Hall and St Johns.
I do have some ?'s with Oduro at the 5 (Croswell may be harder to replace than people think) and their point guard. Also an unproven 1st year coach added to the mix.

Is Neptune a good enough coach to win the BE? I've seen in a few places where people think that Nova has the most talented starting five and that may be true. As I mentioned in my predictions I think they could finish higher than 4th if the chemistry comes together between the 3 transfers with Moore and Dixon. And if ya finish higher than 4th in this league, you're ahead of at least 1 preseason top 10 team in the country!

Reactions: LBP43
Going to weight coaching changes/newness in my choices:

1) Marquette
2) UCONN
3) Creighton
All three with lots of talent and experienced coaching

4) St John's
Pitino is worth that...he will find a way with that talent to end up either in 4th or the 4th highest BE seed in March

5) Villanova - Not sold on Neptune (and neither is VU)
6) Providence -First year in BE is a learning lesson (as we found out last year)
7) Seton Hall-Second year for Sha hopefully a big difference - can punch up to 6th?
8) Georgetown - Cooley punching up and X with too many injuries

9) Xavier
10) DePaul
11) Butler

I'll play

11. Depaul - It's Depaul
I have us at 5 too. I think I switch 9 and 11

Reactions: Hall84
I have us at 7 ahead of Xavier right now because of the injuries, and despite Miller being a helluva coach (like him or not).

Providence is a WC to me because they have a legit CPOY candidate -- who was last year and first time all league -- another guard who has actually been all-league caliber, and some other real talent on that roster. Probably have the best home court advantage in the Big East presently, or among the best. But first year coaches from mid-majors in the Big East are always a question-mark.

1. Marquette
2. Creighton
3. UConn
4. Nova
5. SHU
6. Xavier
7. St. John’s
8. Georgetown
9. Providence
10. Butler
11. DePaul

Don’t like Miller at all but he finds ways to win even if he needs to parse his team together without some regulars.

Pitino will need time to figure things out. He’ll have a late run though.

I have no faith in Providence and I think the Cooley departure shakes them up a bunch. Big learning curve for English. Individual talent does not equal wins. I’ll even give them a first team and second/third team ABE selections too.

Georgetown my wild card. With their talent, it’s close to what St. John’s has so they can make some noise as the season goes on.

SHU has to make hay early because I see a few teams improve pretty strongly as February rolls in.

1. Marquette
2. Creighton
3. UConn
4. Nova
5. SHU
6. Xavier
7. St. John’s
8. Georgetown
9. Providence
10. Butler
11. DePaul

Don’t like Miller at all but he finds ways to win even if he needs to parse his team together without some regulars.

I have no faith in Providence and I think the Cooley departure shakes them up a bunch. Big learning curve for English. Individual talent does not equal wins. I’ll even give them a first team and second/third team ABE selections too.

Georgetown my wild card. With their talent, it’s close to what St. John’s has so they can make some noise as the season goes on.

SHU has to make hay early because I see a few teams improve pretty strongly as February rolls in.
I think you are under-selling Providence, but part of me also agrees because of the coaching situation. We saw last year what happened with an uber-talented Nova team and a first year Big East HC coming from a mid-major. Even with the Nova culture he was inheriting. So it is a fair point. On paper, Providence is better than us IMO. But our coach experienced his first year growing pains, and Providence's has not.

SJU still has to show they can gel. Lots of talent but how’s the chemistry?
That's my view. It will take time. If they start well they are really going to take off, because IMO the time to get them is going to be November-mid-January or so. The more Pitino has time with them, the tougher they are going to be.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Cooley

242 153 .612, 3-7 NCAA, 1 tourney, 1 reg season
Willard

225- 161 .583, 1-5 NCAA, 1 tourney, 1 reg season

Willard gets his share of fawning and did slightly worse. Though we don't seem to complain about that.
Cooley's a good coach and the media fawns over lot worse...
Perhaps that has to do with Cooley revived the program that was next to last to last for two seasons under Keno Davis. Under Keno they won 4 Big East games. By Cooley's second year, Providence was 9-9 in conference.

Contrast that with Willard who came into Seton Hall with talent and only won 7 Big East games. granted Hazel got hurt. The following year, an NCAA tournament bid was theirs until they lost to Rutgers and DePaul. Then the team was garbage for three years until Whitehead and Co change Willard's trajectory. And let's not forget, Cooley made a Sweet 16. Cooley is a very good coach.

1. Marquette
2. Creighton
3. UConn
4. Nova
5. SHU
6. Xavier
7. St. John’s
8. Georgetown
9. Providence
10. Butler
11. DePaul

Georgetown close to St. John’s talent? I think not…even close. But more so, Pitino beats Cooley every day…so I don’t see that.

I get the challenge of blending in New players but in this environment almost all teams have 6/7 new players…including us.

That’s why I like teams like Marquette and Villanova. Experience counts…as does talent of course.

Georgetown close to St. John’s talent? I think not…even close. But more so, Pitino beats Cooley every day…so I don’t see that.

I get the challenge of blending in New players but in this environment almost all teams have 6/7 new players…including us.

That’s why I like teams like Marquette and Villanova. Experience counts…as does talent of course.
Villanova has quite a few new players.

Wouldn't shock me to see Providence end up 5th over the Hall and St Johns.
I do have some ?'s with Oduro at the 5 (Croswell may be harder to replace than people think) and their point guard. Also an unproven 1st year coach added to the mix.

Is Neptune a good enough coach to win the BE? I've seen in a few places where people think that Nova has the most talented starting five and that may be true. As I mentioned in my predictions I think they could finish higher than 4th if the chemistry comes together between the 3 transfers with Moore and Dixon. And if ya finish higher than 4th in this league, you're ahead of at least 1 preseason top 10 team in the country!
Nova is the most talented team 1-5 or 1-8. Neptune seems to be over his head. This year will be telling.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam

I don’t expect my answers to be popular at all, but I also don’t see easy answers. Georgetown has some pretty decent talent. Maybe not what St. John’s has, but we will see.

I also think that Pitino at 71 coming back into the high comp of the Big East is a little different from schooling the coaches in the MAAC and also different from his younger, hungrier years. I realize that will go against about 98% of all the pundits and I’m cool with that.

Every team has to find a way to come together this year with the crazy transfers. Yes, including SHU.

I just think it’s a matter of what teams have the players willing to sacrifice the stats for next year’s NIL and do the dirty work to win.

It’s yet to be seen if Florida Atlantic and San Diego State will be the types of teams that flourish with all the selfish play soon to come.

Nova is the most talented team 1-5 or 1-8. Neptune seems to be over his head. This year will be telling.
Agreed this year will be a more accurate gauge on Neptune. He was playing catch-up since Jay retired so late in 2022 due to F4 and was dealt roster issues including not having Whitmore available for 7 games, Moore until late Jan and a PG combo of Chris Arch and a talented but raw Mark Armstrong. Had Jay stuck around, i bet he would have brought in a portal lead guard.

This year, they have a stacked roster and a full offseason (unlike last year) to work with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT