ADVERTISEMENT

Adrian and PJ

Really want Adrian as our next coach. He's an NBA guy with coaching experience and he loves Seton Hall.

Was a hard worker and a Pitino fave on the Celtics..

Ironically KW mat have been a low level Celtic staffer when AG was on the team.

I hope Lyons has him on the list.

With the elimination of the Bulls tonight, and the worst kept secret in the NBA being the imminent divorce between the Bulls and Tom Thibodeau, I was wondering about Adrians next job. I assume the Bulls let the entire staff go so their next head coach can hire his own staff. In trying to replace such a respected coach as Tibs, I don't think the Bulls could consider a first-time head coach candidate like Griffin, even though the front office is said to have great respect for him.

There are/will be a few NBA head jobs available, he's gotten interviews before, I would expect the Orlando Magics of the world to interview him this off-season. The big difference for Griffin this year, of course, is while he is trying to nab his first NBA head job, he also needs to secure himself any job, without one waiting for him in Chicago

Adrian Griffin will always be one of our favorite SHU players and his story of starting at the bottom and working his way to success as a pro is inspirational, but there are very few NBA Coaches without prior college coaching experience that have been successful as a head college coach. The college game is more about recruiting where the pro game isn't. Guys like Eddie Jordan are more the norm than guys like Larry Brown.

TK

FWIW, if you think Griffin is a good choice as a possible SHU head coach down the road than give credit to poster ArtieLange who broached that subject here 5 years ago.

Reactions: shupat08
He's never been a coach before and was going to quit being an assistant to spend more time with his family a few years ago.

Sounds like a recipe for a huge failure for Seton Hall.

I love how everyone sees what Hoiberg did at Iowa St. and thinks if their school just brings back a former great they will do the same thing.

Eddie Jordan at least had some head coaching experience before Rutgers hired him. Adrian Griffin has nothing.

I'd rather keep Willard to be quite honest.

I'd rather keep Willard to be quite honest.

Dude.

Adrian Griffin will get a NBA head coaching job soon and be fine. He has no reason to come to college coaching at this point. But seriously? We collectively turned our noses up at him five years ago, that is fine, but it is our collective loss. I cannot believe there is anyone left that would rather ride with Willard. The main difference between Iowa State and us is that Iowa State does not run away from and look to discredit the achievements of their own. They take the gamble on them when the time is right. Seton Hall and fans it seems would rather gamble on MAAC coaches.

Griffin is a HUGE risk because he has proven nothing in terms of coaching. Even less than Willard, which is hard to believe.

Seton Hall needs to hit a home run with their next hire (a proven winner at the college level).

Maybe Griffin is the next Hoiberg. Who knows? Why gamble again on a coach? Seton Hall gambled with Gonzo and failed, gambled with Willard and failed.

This administration is incompetent so my guess is Griffin will be on the short list.

I feel like Seton Hall will gamble on a coach no matter what. We're not stealing a major conference coach to come here. Unless the stars align next year and a prestige program coach, from say the Big 10, is looking for a soft landing spot we will be hiring another low to mid major coach. We've gone to the MAAC three straight times, why not the NBA?

I think AG is a great guy and is a tremendous representative for SHU. But I am not big on hiring someone like AG to be our next Head Coach. It's a totally different situation (NBA vs. College) from a coaching perspective.

I hope AG does land a NBA HC gig at some point.

Rumor mill already has Thibodeau as a top candidate in New Orleans if he does leave CHI, I would assume at a minimum Griffin could tag along with him there.

The Hall as a program seems to be in a situation that they will have to gamble on the next coach on some level. It's not like top notch coaches (or those with any history of success) will be clamoring to coach The Hall. Especially those who know how inept The Admin appears to be and indifferent to on-court success (obviously).

For our next coach I'll guess that we reach out once again to Pitino for advice...

Griffin has no experience and a big gamble. Dooley has experience, but he's been mediocre at best as a head coach. Boyle is a very interesting idea.

Boyle has more than proven himself at the high school level. He's a bit of an a**hole, but his track record is impressive. I would not be disappointed if Seton Hall hired him.

Griffin has no experience and a big gamble. Dooley has experience, but he's been mediocre at best as a head coach. Boyle is a very interesting idea.

Boyle has more than proven himself at the high school level. He's a bit of an a**hole, but his track record is impressive. I would not be disappointed if Seton Hall hired him.
Most good coaches seem to fit the "bit of an a-hole" profile. Not tuned in to metro area high school hoops like most here, so don't know a lot about Boyle other than what I've read here, but if he's knows how to coach, has local connections, and can manage a locker room (can't believe that even needs to be mentioned), seems like a step up to me.

I agree except for having local connections. Even though I'm sure Boyle has plenty of connections in NY/NJ that doesn't mean anything to me. I don't care where the players come from. As long as we win.

I agree except for having local connections. Even though I'm sure Boyle has plenty of connections in NY/NJ that doesn't mean anything to me. I don't care where the players come from. As long as we win.
I guess where I was going was having any connections is a step up. Agree local connections seems to be a bit overrated. Especially with the recent dearth of NYC talent.

Great Tweet and pic by AG. Love it!

He needs to prove himself as a coach.

He will prove himself as a coach when he gets an NBA head coaching job, either this year or next. I know it's not the same as turning around Marist, but he may be satisfied anyway.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT