ADVERTISEMENT

Al-Amir Dawes

Dont remember too many kids whose ha career was so up and down. Dont think it is a huge loss.

What stings more is that we were on him for a while. So was Clemson, so not surprised. Had he gone to SJU it would have annoyed me because they were only recently after him because they are pretty stocked at the guard slots and he was Gaffney insurance, the kid they really wanted who spurned them for Uconn.

So SJU, PC , Wichita State and Clemson were all wrong in recruiting Dawes hard just as we did. We recruited him hard, we didn’t get him so let’s not fall back on rationalizing that it’s no big deal because he’s really not that good .

We put a lot of time in recruiting this player and he wasn’t just a player we got in late on we’ve been on him for a while now so not getting him is a disappointment. As player after player we’ve been involved with either commits elsewhere or no longer is considering us adds to the disappointment as our options to sign a player become far less then they were when summer began . At one point we had offers out to 13 guards we’re down to five and I haven’t heard of one that has us at the top of his list.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
I’m pretty much resolved to the reality that our recruiting is all about:

1. Finding the under the radar 3 star and on occasion 4 start HS recruit or 2 from NYC or elsewhere and;
2. Bringing in a quality transfer or two every year.

That’s what we are at this point in time.

Reactions: shupat08
I’m pretty much resolved to the reality that our recruiting is all about:

1. Finding the under the radar 3 star and on occasion 4 start HS recruit or 2 from NYC or elsewhere and;
2. Bringing in a quality transfer or two every year.

That’s what we are at this point in time.
So long the transfer is 4+ or higher recruit, there may be nothing wrong with this strategy.

Reactions: garyshu71
Big difference between us and Gonzaga is their head coach and ours.
Silky- I enjoy your posts and your sense of reality over the years. Sounds like you are really souring on Willard’s lack of recruiting acumen. Might be best to post on The Trove but are you starting to get tired of his antics and just knowing that he just does not enjoy recruiting given his introverted personality.

Silky- I enjoy your posts and your sense of reality over the years. Sounds like you are really souring on Willard’s lack of recruiting acumen. Might be best to post on The Trove but are you starting to get tired of his antics and just knowing that he just does not enjoy recruiting given his introverted personality.
Just reply to posts as I see it. GO PIRATES !!!

This might be crazy, is it possible he liked Clemson better because they are losing a bunch of guards after this season?

Reactions: Joe_T
Ya think? That and other reasons.

gettyimages-937137392-e1539293424611.jpg

Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Clemson lands top-150 guard Al-Amir Dawes
By Travis HinesOct 11, 2018, 5:30 PM EDT

Brad Brownell has his backcourt of the future all sewn up.

Al-Amir Dawes, a top-150 guard from New Jersey, committed to Brownell and Clemson on Thursday to give the Tigers a replacement for its graduating backcourt.

Dawes joins three-star, fellow top-150 guard Chase Hunter as the second member of Brownell’s 2019 class.

“They are losing their entire backcourt and they have Chase Hunter coming in now, too. With Al and him, and alongside quality wings that they have returning, they should be really good,” Dawes’ guardian Ayton Branch told Rivals. “They have shooters and depth at every position.

Dawes, a 6-foot-2 prospect that can play both backcourt positions, chose Clemson over the likes of Connecticut, St. Joe’s, TCU and Wichita State.

Clemson, which went 25-10 and made the Sweet 16 last season, will be losing its starting backcourt of Shelton Mitchell and Marquise Reed after the 2018-19 campaign, making finding reinforcements a priority for Brownell and his staff. Dawes averaged 15.5 points, 4.3 assists, 3.1 rebounds and 2.1 steals in EYBL action last summer.

Ya think? That and other reasons.

I'm sure there are more, but the knee jerk reaction on here automatically goes to the idea we can't land players. We have 3 4-star players on this year's team. Next season will be the first time in a while where we have 4 starters who were 4 star recruits. That's not too shabby.

Reactions: Joe_T
It is disheartening that we do not seem to get our main recruits each year. Especially the ones from NJ. The only thing I will point out is that except for the Amaker period and a brief period during PJs reign the top players have usually left the state. I believe that the only reason why local kids stay at SHU is because they are heavily reliant on their mothers and don’t want to leave them. In the end not getting the top players from NJ did not hurt us as Nelson and Rhodes appear to be players. Maybe that will happen again. If not it will be important for us to get some kids early next year in the recruiting process.

It is disheartening that we do not seem to get our main recruits each year. Especially the ones from NJ. The only thing I will point out is that except for the Amaker period and a brief period during PJs reign the top players have usually left the state. I believe that the only reason why local kids stay at SHU is because they are heavily reliant on their mothers and don’t want to leave them. In the end not getting the top players from NJ did not hurt us as Nelson and Rhodes appear to be players. Maybe that will happen again. If not it will be important for us to get some kids early next year in the recruiting process.

Definitely disheartening. No way to sugar coat it. What gets me is people have a real understanding of the dirty recruiting when it comes to Roy Williams comments. However when it never plays a role when we lose out on a recruit, it's always been Orr's, Gonzo's, or Willard's fault.

What gets me is people have a real understanding of the dirty recruiting when it comes to Roy Williams comments. However when it never plays a role when we lose out on a recruit, it's always been Orr's, Gonzo's, or Willard's fault.

Or when Seton Hall gets a recruit, it's never about the dirty recruiting, Seton Hall is obviously squeaky clean, LOL.

Shame when we cant get prospect's moms storage units anymore. It all boils down to Robert Brennan really screwing us. If he was around to buy a good team, we wouldnt have experienced the decline since his incarceration.

Shame when we cant get prospect's moms storage units anymore. It all boils down to Robert Brennan really screwing us. If he was around to buy a good team, we wouldnt have experienced the decline since his incarceration.

Throw in Kozlowski too.

Definitely disheartening. No way to sugar coat it. What gets me is people have a real understanding of the dirty recruiting when it comes to Roy Williams comments. However when it never plays a role when we lose out on a recruit, it's always been Orr's, Gonzo's, or Willard's fault.

The head coach of any college basketball team is ultimately the person responsible for the team’s record and for it’s recruiting failures and it’s been that way for as long as I’ve been following college basketball. The same way coaches get contract extensions and pay raises when the program has success on the court and in recruiting and that’s the way it works and it’s not going to change. Just looking at the three coaches you mentioned Orr hated recruiting and never worked hard at it . Gonzo , once he got to coach a BE team didn’t put the effort in on recruiting that was needed plus he pissed off a lot of coaches at the better HS and AAU coaches that hurt our recruiting. As to Willard it’s not a lack of effort or emphasis it’s something someone closer to the program would have to answer why we’re striking out on so many players.

I personally feel Bradley is very underappreciated... right now at this stage of his career I’m not sure how much he has left... I’d keep Guzan fat far away... I would also have no problem with Altidore in the fold....

The head coach of any college basketball team is ultimately the person responsible for the team’s record and for it’s recruiting failures and it’s been that way for as long as I’ve been following college basketball. The same way coaches get contract extensions and pay raises when the program has success on the court and in recruiting and that’s the way it works and it’s not going to change. Just looking at the three coaches you mentioned Orr hated recruiting and never worked hard at it . Gonzo , once he got to coach a BE team didn’t put the effort in on recruiting that was needed plus he pissed off a lot of coaches at the better HS and AAU coaches that hurt our recruiting. As to Willard it’s not a lack of effort or emphasis it’s something someone closer to the program would have to answer why we’re striking out on so many players.

I love the Hall as much as most but we have to be realistic. I had a chance to go to hall undergrad and chose somewhere else(came back for grad school) But my point being there are a ton of great college towns out there and South Orange although a great town is a hard place to recurit to IMO. Willard is working his ass off but at the end of the day a lot of the NJ kids want to go outside of state. Have any of you seen Clemson? Great campus, awesome college town and in a solid conference- cant say I blame the kid in this instance.

I do not envy having to recurit to Seton Hall agianst some of these schools. I think you could make an arguement it is the 2nd hardest place to recurit to in the Big East next to Depaul(only bc SJU has MSG) Not using as an excuse for Willard but just being realistic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT