ADVERTISEMENT

Amazing this record still stands

anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t

All American
Jun 27, 2001
Messing around on twitter, I threw in Walter Dukes' name in the search. Up came some cool photos, a couple of basketball cards and a news story from the Rochester paper. The paper looks back on local sports figure on aregular basis and there in a story dated Feb 15 of this year: Walter Dukes still holds the NCAA record for most rebounds in a season--734 in 52-53. That is just amazing, kind of like Joe Dimaggio s 56 gamer. Sorry I can't post any links but that must be some record., standing for more than 60 years.

nice info Mike! Thanks
I have spent years and countless posts promoting that record. It is one of the great athletic records in collegiate athletics. This year we have waited long enough - We need a banner at the Rock and at Walsh.

Where is Walters "734"

I have spent years and countless posts promoting that record. It is one of the great athletic records in collegiate athletics. This year we have waited long enough - We need a banner at the Rock and at Walsh.

Where is Walters "734"

I figured such an amazing stat had to be mentioned here, GymR, and I've been posting and reading your posts for 15 years, and I absolutely had forgotten or just missed this. Your are 1000% correct. Good ol' Bucbee back on the day would have added some first hand color on this and talk about how that team the year before beat the grand slam winners, CCNY, in a closed scrimmage at the Garden that he somehow got in to see. You're right, it's never too late.

I figured such an amazing stat had to be mentioned here, GymR, and I've been posting and reading your posts for 15 years, and I absolutely had forgotten or just missed this. Your are 1000% correct. Good ol' Bucbee back on the day would have added some first hand color on this and talk about how that team the year before beat the grand slam winners, CCNY, in a closed scrimmage at the Garden that he somehow got in to see. You're right, it's never too late.
Here is the crazy thing that people forget :
During Walters three collegiate years at Seton Hall the Pirates were 95 - 6
The next closet person to 734 was the great Marvin Barnes out of Providence with 597
He was a track star at a time when big men were slow and plodding
At 7 foot he high jumped over 6 - 6
Best athlete ever hands down at SHU
NCAA changed the rebound recognition to average rather than rebounds in a season
This is one of the great unbreakable records in all of sports.

Where's Walter "734"

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
The NCAA breaks down rebounding records into 2 categories. First is the All Time Record held by Dukes and second is the modern record (post 1975) held by fellow Pirate Glen Mosley. Dukes record will never be broken because over time shooting percentages have improved and thus rebounding opportunities have become less. For example no one averages anywhere close to 20 rebounds per game any more. Walter Dukes is one of only 7 players ever to have a season averaging over 20 ppg and 20 rpg. He was the first ever to accomplish this feat. I don't recall all seven but Wilt Chamberlain, Elgin Baylor and Julous Erving were among the other six.. I think two of the others may have been Bob Petit & Kermit Washington but I can't recall the 7th..

Tom K

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT