ADVERTISEMENT

Another ESPN reporter suspended

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
nchenry.jpg

ESPN suspended reporter Britt McHenry for one week, hours after a video surfaced of the reporter dressing down a towing-lot attendant in brutally ugly fashion.

"I'm in the news, sweetheart, I will f--g sue this place," McHenry, a Washington-based reporter, says as the video opens...........

Video

go search for some of her stuff on Twitter and lets just say this isn't the first time where she has degraded others....sounds like she is a spoiled brat to me.

Never heard of her. But wow.

And typical ESPN...one week? How can they put her back on the air?

Her car got illegally towed, what she said was wrong its like taking out bad food on a waiter when it was the cook. Though, I have had to chance to be around Britt many times and this is just a bad moment for her.

Very, very ugly and revealing moment for her. I couldn't possibly think less of her right now, whoever she is (I had never heretofore heard of her).

There is no excuse for treating another person like this, especially when you yourself work for a company that is so completely unethical and disgraceful, and which has figuratively shit all over decent society for at least 20 years. I'd love to get rid of ESPN, but I'll settle for sending this nitwit back to oblivion. It's not like it's a long trip....

Here's another female journalist's take on this loser.

ESPN needs to review Britt McHenry call

Originally posted by jcalz88:
Her car got illegally towed.
That's what she's alleged, but nothing out there stating its a fact.

Her car got illegally towed, what she said was wrong its like taking out bad food on a waiter when it was the cook. Though, I have had to chance to be around Britt many times and this is just a bad moment for her.
It's a predatory towing company that is well known in Arlington. They illegally tow away cars all the time. A couple weeks ago, they tried to tow a legally parked car WITH TWO KIDS INSIDE! With their well-known practices (search "advanced towing arlington va" for some fantastic reading), I can understand anybody's frustration when they have to go pick up the car.

All that said, she could have easily expressed her frustrations and gone off on the attendant without getting so personal. I wasn't sure what to expect when I first listened to it yesterday and I was stunned at the constant personal insults. This is definitely suspension-worthy.

Originally posted by HALL85:
Her car got illegally towed.
That's what she's alleged, but nothing out there stating its a fact.
Right, where is that written anywhere? If it was, I didn't see it, but I didn't spend more than two minutes googling this no-name.

Originally posted by Pirate6711:

It's a predatory towing company that is well known in Arlington. They illegally tow away cars all the time. A couple weeks ago, they tried to tow a legally parked car WITH TWO KIDS INSIDE! With their well-known practices (search "advanced towing arlington va" for some fantastic reading), I can understand anybody's frustration when they have to go pick up the car.

All that said, she could have easily expressed her frustrations and gone off on the attendant without getting so personal. I wasn't sure what to expect when I first listened to it yesterday and I was stunned at the constant personal insults. This is definitely suspension-worthy.
Read the first article that came up and a bunch of Yelp reviews and it seems like they are all referencing double-charging, bad "customer" service, damaging vehicles, and actively looking for cars to tow. I didn't see anything saying they were towing cars that were parked legally. But who knows. Also, why am I researching towing company reviews on a Friday morning? lol

What she did was reprehensible and demeaning but she did nothing illegal in her rant, it wasn't on air and it had absolutely nothing to do with her position at ESPN. Are we now coming to a point where if we yell at someone that had nothing to do with work our employer can suspend us?

Originally posted by hallgrad80:
What she did was reprehensible and demeaning but she did nothing illegal in her rant, it wasn't on air and it had absolutely nothing to do with her position at ESPN. Are we now coming to a point where if we yell at someone that had nothing to do with work our employer can suspend us?
It's part of being a "face" for the network. It's a very public job and because of the publicity that comes with being an on-air talent with ESPN, you are always an employee of ESPN first no matter what the setting is. Hell, she even brought that up when she was going off on the attendant.

When you're a "face" of a network as big and powerful as ESPN and you say something publicly and on tape that could damage ESPN's image, you're going to get punished. If you want one of the few on-air positions and the publicity and notoriety that go with that position, avoiding situations like this is part of the deal. It's not the same for cube monkeys like most of us.

This post was edited on 4/17 11:14 AM by Pirate6711

What about if we get into heated message board arguments? :)

Fair point, but the difference is she's a public figure, and although this is the first I've seen her, one of the faces of ESPN and a direct reflection on the company every time she's on the air. I would not want her on my airwaves if I was a decision maker at ESPN. That said, this will be what people think about when they see her for a while, but it will eventually blow over.

What sports is she a sideline reporter for? Is she any good at what she does or just another pretty face? Pretty faces are replaceable.

I think you're treading a very slippery slope when you start punishing any employee for any personal behavior that occurs outside the workplace and involves nothing illegal , racial or physical in any way . Let me offer a simple example of what I mean. Let's assume that a rabid SH fan goes off on a referee at one of our games and is caught on tv calling him a G.D. moron , blind. stupid and an idiot. Your boss calls you in his office and says a couple of our clients saw you on tv and were shocked by your behavior so we're suspending you for a week. You're not a public figure, it didn't take place in the workplace and it was not illegal. Fair or not?

Wow. Pretty despicable behavior. The Washington Post had both sides of the issue, and this one is interesting, in that it's written by a Georgetown grad, and it suggests this behavior is demonstrative of a bigger problem.

I think you're treading a very slippery slope when you start punishing any employee for any personal behavior that occurs outside the workplace and involves nothing illegal , racial or physical in any way . Let me offer a simple example of what I mean. Let's assume that a rabid SH fan goes off on a referee at one of our games and is caught on tv calling him a G.D. moron , blind. stupid and an idiot. Your boss calls you in his office and says a couple of our clients saw you on tv and were shocked by your behavior so we're suspending you for a week. You're not a public figure, it didn't take place in the workplace and it was not illegal. Fair or not?
In the client's eyes, you are the company and you are representing the company, even if you're at a basketball game. It's your boss's right to punish you if he or she so chooses, especially if you're an at-will employee. If you don't like that punishment from your boss, it's your right to work somewhere else.

Illegally towed or not--there is no excusing her arrogant, obnoxious behavior. She just showed everyone who she truly is.

Originally posted by hbkmyr:
She's getting some support:
Actually looked like pretty lame support, but that's here nor there. She represents the "brand" of ESPN and when you sign up for a job like that you have a responsibility to carry yourself in the publics eye if you want to make the money and fame that goes along. If you don't, then you have to pay the price. No different than Brian Williams and his pathetic lying. You are only in that position because of the "image" you portray; not the knowledge you have. Blow your image; blow your job.

Originally posted by HALL85:
Originally posted by hbkmyr:
She's getting some support:
Actually looked like pretty lame support, but that's here nor there. She represents the "brand" of ESPN and when you sign up for a job like that you have a responsibility to carry yourself in the publics eye if you want to make the money and fame that goes along. If you don't, then you have to pay the price. No different than Brian Williams and his pathetic lying. You are only in that position because of the "image" you portray; not the knowledge you have. Blow your image; blow your job.
::nodding head::

Fair. Why is it so hard for some people to behave and act in a civil manner when they're off the clock? If you're a professional person, then you represent your employer 24/7 whether you like it or not. Would you want your doctor, a police officer, or your child's teacher acting like an imbecile in public? I don't think so. And in the example you gave, the employee brought the suspension on himself, especially if the behavior causes the clients' to view the company in a negative light. Always try to be on your best behavior when you're off the clock, because you never know who's watching.

Originally posted by JIMSOULS:
Fair. Why is it so hard for some people to behave and act in a civil manner when they're off the clock? If you're a professional person, then you represent your employer 24/7 whether you like it or not. Would you want your doctor, a police officer, or your child's teacher acting like an imbecile in public? I don't think so. And in the example you gave, the employee brought the suspension on himself, especially if the behavior causes the clients' to view the company in a negative light. Always try to be on your best behavior when you're off the clock, because you never know who's watching.
What's weird is she knew she was being filmed and continued her ridiculous behavior anyways. She had to know it would be leaked and either didn't care (doubtful) or just couldn't control her behavior. And I doubt the attendant recognized her or would have ever known she was a TV personality but of course she felt the need to tell her. Bizarre.

This post was edited on 4/17 3:39 PM by phi_pirates

good point Jim, you should keep this in mind next time you decide to vent on a public message board.

Do as Britt says, not as she does.

Britt McHenry, the foul-mouthed ESPN reporter who was suspended for her bullying tirade, urged her Facebook friends to be kind and compassionate - just days before she verbally attacked a Virginia parking lot attendee.

"Take the high road and be nice to people," she posted on Facebook on March 29. "Amazing how a small kind gesture can go so far, yet similarly so can the impact of negative words. Don't choose the latter."...............

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/espn-britt-mchenry-urged-kindness-days-towing-rant-article-1.2189104

Originally posted by Halldan1:
Do as Britt says, not as she does.

Britt McHenry, the foul-mouthed ESPN reporter who was suspended for her bullying tirade, urged her Facebook friends to be kind and compassionate - just days before she verbally attacked a Virginia parking lot attendee.

"Take the high road and be nice to people," she posted on Facebook on March 29. "Amazing how a small kind gesture can go so far, yet similarly so can the impact of negative words. Don't choose the latter."...............

If the ESPN gig doesn't work out, she has a heckuva future writing fortune cookie messages.

Reactions: SHUSource
I think this is being blown way out of proportion. she shouldn't have been suspended for this.

I have a different take on this completely. All of you have judged her on an edited video tape. You do not know the whole story. Second, what she said was mean but so what? Has anyone on this board not said a mean thing to another person? The only difference is that it was not recorded. It is amazing how judgmental we are as a society to come down on her without knowing all the facts. But let's just stick to what we know. She insulted someone. Not the nicest thing to do. And?

People are going way overboard on this reaction. Why should she be fired from her job over this? The PC police need to go away. All of you people who have come down on her are just so perfect in the way you guys live your lives. You never once had an outburst in which you insulted people. Our society is full with hypocrites.

Sorry cernj, this type of behavior may be expected if you're in 6th grade, but this is a grown woman, who happens to make her living on national television. And no, I don't remember having an outburst where I insulted someone like this Also, still waiting on "her side of the story" although the ESPN PR folks probably, and understandably, have told her to just apologize and not comment further.

- PC Police

This post was edited on 4/18 9:39 AM by phi_pirates

by all accounts appears to be not a nice person who thinks she is better than she really is. i too have had disputes with a tow company and surely it is frustrating but had this been a male reporter at disney's mothership he is likely suspended longer or even shown the door

Oh, stupid me! She's hot, so it doesn't matter what she says or does. She should never be expected to have accountability, I guess because of her "hotness."

Gender bender at ESPN? If Britt (Brat) McHenry was a man, she'd be out of a job
article-mchenry2-0418.jpg
Equality for all is something we should support.

That's no grand revelation.

Yet this axiom popped fresh after watching Britt McHenry, the ESPN reporter, berate a female towing company employee on a video that went viral. McHenry got what amounted to a slap on the wrist, receiving a one- week vacation, er, suspension after the video surfaced last week.

Let us be clear here: If Chris Berman, Mike Tirico, Mike Breen or any other male ESPN voice was caught on video telling a hard working woman, "I'm on television and you're in a f---ing trailer honey," and adding other graphic put-downs, they would have received a lot more than one week on the bench.

RELATED: MCHENRY JUST THE LATEST ESPNer SUSPENDED FOR BAD BEHAVIOR
It would be no surprise if they would've been flat-out fired. In this particular case, McHenry had gender on her side. At least that's our perception.
ESPN reporter Britt McHenry was suspended for one week following the release of security camera footage showing the blond beauty unleashing a barrage of insults and mocking the attendant's job, education and her physical appearance after her car was towed earlier this month in Arlington, Va. LIVELEAK
ESPN reporter Britt McHenry was suspended for one week following the release of security camera footage showing the blond beauty unleashing a barrage of insults and mocking the attendant's job, education and her physical appearance after her car was towed earlier this month in Arlington, Va.

The problem McHenry has now, one she has brought on herself, is the perception not only viewers, but the people she covers will have of her once she returns to the air and moving forward.

The video confirmed her entitled brat status. She delivered an assortment of choice put-downs like: "Maybe if I was missing some teeth they would hire me, huh?" And of course there's the memorable, "Lose some weight, baby girl."

With the world of sports, and those covering it, spending time condemning bullying on the field and in the clubhouse, the video revealed ESPN has one on its staff.
Interestingly, all of McHenry's lines were delivered with the kind of commitment and emotion she rarely displays while working her gig.

In fact, before this video surfaced, McHenry was a relative nobody on the campus of Bristol Clown Community College.

Now she is well known. For being a self-absorbed jerk.

article-mchenry-0418.jpg

ESPN reporter Britt McHenry was suspended for one week following the release of security camera footage showing the blond beauty unleashing a barrage of insults and mocking the attendant's job, education and her physical appearance after her car was towed earlier this month in Arlington, Va.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/raissman-britt-mchenry-man-fired-article-1.2189955

Britt McHenry resumes ESPN work after ‘lot rant’ ban
By Jonathan Lehman

April 23, 2015 | 3:25pm

mchenry.jpg

ESPN reporter Britt McHenry returns to work after serving a one-week suspension for her infamous parking-lot rant. Photo: Twitter / Britt McHenry

Britt McHenry is back to work.

The ESPN reporter was suspended for one week last Thursday following the release of edited video footage showing the blonde cruelly berating a towing-company employee in suburban Washington, D.C.

Despite a massive public backlash, McHenry will assume her regular responsibilities covering the NFL, an ESPN producer told Sports Illustrated. That means at least one of her mean-girl barbs from the stunning rant — “I’m on television and you’re in a f—–g trailer, honey” — still applies, in half.

McHenry’s suspension is officially over as of Thursday and she will have a spot on “SportsCenter” this weekend, according to the report. She will be in front of the ESPN cameras next Thursday for the network’s coverage of the opening round of the NFL draft, reporting on the Rams (owners of the No. 10 pick) from St. Louis. And the plan is for her to be at NFL games on most weekends during the season as a reporter contributing to “SportsCenter” and other ESPN programming.

mchenrycam.jpg

McHenry caught on camera in the towing company’s parking lot.Photo: Screengrab via Live Leak

Her bosses know the rehab tour begins now for a young woman who overnight went from an indistinguishable face in the ESPN talent horde to a pariah synonymous with pettiness and entitlement.

“I think she is just really anxious to get back to work,” ESPN senior coordinating producer Seth Markman told SI.

“We had a conversation where we both talked about that it would take time and it will be hard. … She realizes she will have to do her job really well and hopefully win back some of the trust of our viewers. We expect that from her, and I expect that from her. She did a great job for us on the NFL last year in some difficult situations, and I have seen nothing that doesn’t make me think she will rebound from this. But she knows the first couple of assignments out of the box will not be easy.”

But what about those who will see McHenry, think back to the parking lot venom and disregarding anything she has to say about first-round picks?

“Listen, it wouldn’t shock me if some people react negatively,” Markman said. “My head hasn’t been buried in the sand. I’ve read a lot on this, and more than anything, she knows she made a mistake.”

http://nypost.com/2015/04/23/britt-mchenry-resumes-espn-work-after-lot-rant-ban/

Britt McHenry resumes ESPN work after ‘lot rant’ ban
By Jonathan Lehman

April 23, 2015 | 3:25pm

mchenry.jpg

ESPN reporter Britt McHenry returns to work after serving a one-week suspension for her infamous parking-lot rant. Photo: Twitter / Britt McHenry

Britt McHenry is back to work.

The ESPN reporter was suspended for one week last Thursday following the release of edited video footage showing the blonde cruelly berating a towing-company employee in suburban Washington, D.C.

Despite a massive public backlash, McHenry will assume her regular responsibilities covering the NFL, an ESPN producer told Sports Illustrated. That means at least one of her mean-girl barbs from the stunning rant — “I’m on television and you’re in a f—–g trailer, honey” — still applies, in half.

McHenry’s suspension is officially over as of Thursday and she will have a spot on “SportsCenter” this weekend, according to the report. She will be in front of the ESPN cameras next Thursday for the network’s coverage of the opening round of the NFL draft, reporting on the Rams (owners of the No. 10 pick) from St. Louis. And the plan is for her to be at NFL games on most weekends during the season as a reporter contributing to “SportsCenter” and other ESPN programming.

mchenrycam.jpg

McHenry caught on camera in the towing company’s parking lot.Photo: Screengrab via Live Leak

Her bosses know the rehab tour begins now for a young woman who overnight went from an indistinguishable face in the ESPN talent horde to a pariah synonymous with pettiness and entitlement.

“I think she is just really anxious to get back to work,” ESPN senior coordinating producer Seth Markman told SI.

“We had a conversation where we both talked about that it would take time and it will be hard. … She realizes she will have to do her job really well and hopefully win back some of the trust of our viewers. We expect that from her, and I expect that from her. She did a great job for us on the NFL last year in some difficult situations, and I have seen nothing that doesn’t make me think she will rebound from this. But she knows the first couple of assignments out of the box will not be easy.”

But what about those who will see McHenry, think back to the parking lot venom and disregarding anything she has to say about first-round picks?

“Listen, it wouldn’t shock me if some people react negatively,” Markman said. “My head hasn’t been buried in the sand. I’ve read a lot on this, and more than anything, she knows she made a mistake.”

http://nypost.com/2015/04/23/britt-mchenry-resumes-espn-work-after-lot-rant-ban/
Nah, no one is going to react negatively to her "hotness."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT