ADVERTISEMENT

Another Leaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd still take Carter. The guy has issues but can break out and score like crazy. But even more important for a 3rd guard, he really gets after his guy on D and would prevent our other guards from getting double teamed do to his scoring ability.

Reactions: SHUMike
I wonder how healthy Carter is. Has he fully recovered from his injuries?

I hope he is courageous and accomplished for something other than coming out.

It's great that he is now comfortable and can help others who might not be as brave.

Gordon played for Kevin Boyle at St.Pat's and was a 4-star player coming out of HS rated as the 105th best player in Rivals' top 150. Originally went to Western Kentucky , which I thought was surprising as a top 150 recruit coming out of a national program like St.Pat's was under Boyle. He left WKY after 1 year to transfer to UMass . Big 6'3 guard who is physically strong and put up good numbers for UMass this past year.

Reactions: shupat08
Thank you. Apparently, in the city of Boston, that alone is enough for the key to the city. Seems like a good kid, good ballplayer. I certainly don't think any less OR more of him, now that his sexual identity is public knowledge.
Yup. And thats exactly how it should be. Thats exactly the point of it all. Hes neither here nor there... just what he wants.

Derrick Gordon... I just read his Twitter. His sexual orientation doesn't bother me, but he's softer than pound cake. He seems like a guy who walks through rough neighborhoods swinging his arms out while he walks, smiling effusively, and pointing up at the birds. He'll get murked in the Big East against guards like Jalen Brunson and Kellen Dunham.

Derrick Gordon... I just read his Twitter. His sexual orientation doesn't bother me, but he's softer than pound cake. He seems like a guy who walks through rough neighborhoods swinging his arms out while he walks, smiling effusively, and pointing up at the birds. He'll get murked in the Big East against guards like Jalen Brunson and Kellen Dunham.
This has to be one of the strangest posts in the history of this board....

Are you kidding????? Have you ever seen this young man play.

Soft on the court -- he's as tough as nails and a great defender.

Soft off the court -- try being a gay man walking through some urban areas.

Are you kidding????? Have you ever seen this young man play.

Soft on the court -- he's as tough as nails and a great defender.

Soft off the court -- try being a gay man walking through some urban areas.
I'll take a pass on being a gay man!! But I get your point. You sound like someone defending a player who is on his way to Seton Hall!!

I'll take a pass on being a gay man!! But I get your point. You sound like someone defending a player who is on his way to Seton Hall!!
Strong mutual interest.

As for defending him. I would do that based on what I know about the person/player regardless of where he was going.

I hope he plays for us. Our guards got mugged last season anyway and I don't see that changing.

But at least this kid will be a solid citizen- not sure his NYC sophomore teammates will accept him though. And evidence proves they run the show.

How is Kellen Dunham tough compared to this kid? Kellen is soft and Jalen Brunson hasn't proved anything

Ive seen Gordon play numerous times over the past few years and the term "soft" couldn't be more off base. Like Dan said, he's a great defender and tough as nails. Although he's not a great outside shooter, he does have a knack for getting to the rim and scoring.. especially at crunch time. Definitely not a PG though.

Wish I could go back and get the posts from a few years ago on this kid. He was at St Pat's with Boyle and I was one of the few that asked why we didnt go hard after this kid. The response was that he was not a Big East player. Now it appears that we have to hype him up to be a Big EAst player. This is a kid we should have went hard after in the first place. Solid kids from solid local high schools. St Anthony's has two kids, I saw we just offered, and I hope we get one of them. Lock me up early and at least give the new coach some decent kids to try and convince to stick around.

Sometimes the Seton Hall men's BB program reminds me of a dam that is well past it's useful life and can't be replaced because they don't have the money to do so. This dam keeps springing leaks and all you can keep doing is patching the holes with temporary fixes and hope those fixes hold up long enough until the resources can be found to fix the problem permanently.

Dan you are starting to sound like the press. How about focusing on "can the kid play or not" and leave his sexual orientation out of it. I'd like to discuss his merits as a player and I bet he would like it that way too but just my opinion. Not trying to get into it with you but I think you are making too much of it.

I am no expert on this young man, but he has proven that he can contribute at a good program, he is tough and can play defense and rebound which we can use. It would be perfect to get a PG with those qualities, but I am very optimistic about the prospect of Mr Gordon becoming Pirate.

Dan you are starting to sound like the press. How about focusing on "can the kid play or not" and leave his sexual orientation out of it. I'd like to discuss his merits as a player and I bet he would like it that way too but just my opinion. Not trying to get into it with you but I think you are making too much of it.
Could not disagree with you more. I have concentrated on his BB ability on the Trove. I posted an in depth profile as well. What more do you want ?

Regarding the other stuff.......it's important. Not to me. In fact not in the least. But if you think that if Gordon comes to a catholic school and it won't be a headline story in the media both locally and nationally then you are in for a big time surprise.

My opinion. I absolutely want him. For his defense, his locker room presence and IMO he's by far the best available guard (a position of need) with Imm eligibility that we are involved with.

Reactions: simone84
Could not disagree with you more. I have concentrated on his BB ability on the Trove. I posted an in depth profile as well. What more do you want ?

Regarding the other stuff.......it's important. Not to me. In fact not in the least. But if you think that if Gordon comes to a catholic school and it won't be a headline story in the media both locally and nationally then you are in for a big time surprise.

My opinion. I absolutely want him. For his defense, his locker room presence and IMO he's by far the best available guard (a position of need) with Imm eligibility that we are involved with.

Like I said I do not want to get into it with you. But you were the first poster to bring up his sexual orientation on the Trove. Here you mention it again. So it seems important to you even though you claim its not.

What more do I want? Just like I suggested - discuss his basketball prowess and if he's a good fit for us. IMO that is all most want or need.

Like I said I do not want to get into it with you. But you were the first poster to bring up his sexual orientation on the Trove. Here you mention it again. So it seems important to you even though you claim its not.

What more do I want? Just like I suggested - discuss his basketball prowess and if he's a good fit for us. IMO that is all most want or need.
My job as a moderator is to broach all possible discussions re any situation as it pertains to Seton Hall. That's what I did with Gordon.

I also said that to me it's an absolute non issue as far as I am concerned but to others it might not be. Discussions past that were posted at times in depth on the Trove and were made by others and not by me.

The good part? Most everyone has no problem with him coming here if he makes that decision.

Reactions: simone84
:confused: o_O ridiculous comment about DG man.

Unreal. :cool:

Last edited:
the biggest issue here is that Willard has lost the locker room the last 2 seasons and if Gordon comes here do his teammates accept him for who he is.......we are going to get the company line that everyone is on board but is that really truly the case. There will be more media involved with Gordon if he comes too. Does this turn his teammates against him at all? Willard and team chemistry has been an epic fail here.

I could care less about his sexual preference I just want to see a winning product on the court. No more excuses. It's time to put up or shut up this season.

Last edited:
the biggest issue here is that Willard has lost the locker room the last 2 seasons and if Gordon comes here do his teammates accept him for who he is.......we are going to get the company line that everyone is on board but is that really truly the case. There will be more media involved with Gordon if he comes too. Does this turn his teammates against him at all? Willard and team chemistry has been an epic fail here.
My gut is that there won't be any issues. Gordon is a great kid and very likeable. Plus he's a strong locker room influence which we need almost as much as a third guard in the rotation.

To the best of my knowledge athletics is 100% behind a commitment if that's what happens.

My gut is that there won't be any issues. Gordon is a great kid and very likeable. Plus he's a strong locker room influence which we need almost as much as a third guard in the rotation.

I kind of wish you hadn't said that. It implies the locker room still isn't where it should be.

the younger you go, the less they care about people being gay, even in the black community where it's less accepting than the larger population. Add in all the great descriptions of the kid & the fact that he's not some flamboyant stereotype that would be shoving his sexuality in the face of his teammates, and i see no problem whatsoever in the locker room b/c he's gay.

Having him on the team will probably be the only bright spot (Anderson too I guess) in what is lining up to be another brutal season. At least we'll get some good PR out of it.

To the best of my knowledge athletics is 100% behind a commitment if that's what happens.
I believe that what Dan is implying is that Gordon will be a strong positive influence in the locker room as oppose to some others who might be more trouble than they're worth. Why invite trouble when you don't have to.

My job as a moderator is to broach all possible discussions re any situation as it pertains to Seton Hall. That's what I did with Gordon.

I also said that to me it's an absolute non issue as far as I am concerned but to others it might not be. Discussions past that were posted at times in depth on the Trove and were made by others and not by me.

The good part? Most everyone has no problem with him coming here if he makes that decision.

DG will work out real good at SHU for all you liberals that support this behavior. But do make note that the head of campus ministry, Fr. Hall did get fired today from our school for posting his support of LGBT.

Welcome DG!

As far as I'm concerned it's all about whether he can play and help our team. The rest of it is not relevant. Orientation, religion, ethnicity etc. are not important if the player fits into our school & team.

Tom K

Reactions: SHUMatt
DG will work out real good at SHU for all you liberals that support this behavior. But do make note that the head of campus ministry, Fr. Hall did get fired today from our school for posting his support of LGBT.

Welcome DG!
Doesn't sound like the type of school I'd pick if I were in his situation

Welcome DG!

You really believe it's a behavior? Honestly can't wait till that generation is dead and gone, so these ideas die with them. world will be a better place.

It's pretty sad when we need to depend on the recruits to manage the locker room because the coach is clueless when it comes to laying down the law and being respected. We could have 13 Bill Bradley's on the roster and Willard would find a way to mismanage them and have turmoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT