ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone agree with this choice

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Deion Sanders is SI’s Sportsperson of the Year despite Colorado’s last-place finish​

By Ryan Glasspiegel

Sports Illustrated apparently does not subscribe to the old Herm Edwards axiom that “You play to win the game.”

The magazine has bestowed its prestigious annual Sportsperson of the Year award upon Deion Sanders, despite Colorado losing its final six games and finishing in last place in the Pac-12 with a 1-8 conference record.

The accompanying gushing profile was written by veteran college sports reporter Pat Forde.

“There are numbers that define the Prime Effect upon the University of Colorado in Boulder, a place that hasn’t always had a chummy relationship with football,” the story read.

“First-year applications are up 26.4% year over year; Black or African American applications are up 80.6%; nonresident applications are up 29.8%; and international applications are up 38.4% from 97 countries, including 16 that didn’t have any applications last year.

“While those numbers cannot be definitively linked to Sanders, others can be: September sales at the school’s online team store were up 2,544% over the same month in 2022. Every home game in 50,183-seat Folsom Field was sold out for the first time in school history.”

While it’s possible arrangements were made a month or two ago for Sanders to receive this award when the Buffaloes’ stock was higher, the story mentions some of the ups and downs — but not all of them.

“As for the actual football? It’s been an adventure. Colorado is massively improved over 2022, when it was by far the worst Power 5 program. The Buffaloes were outscored by 29.1 points per game last year, compared to 6.7 this year,” the story says.

“Las Vegas set their over-under total at 3.5 wins coming into the season, and the Buffs surpassed that in early October. But there have been pratfalls. For all the acclaim Sanders has received, he’s also gotten criticism for blowing a 29-point lead to a bad Stanford team, for mismanaging the clock in a couple of games, for strangely demoting offensive coordinator Sean Lewis.”

What it doesn’t mention, for example, is that Colorado lost its final game of the season, by six touchdowns, to a Washington State team that had just one other Pac-12 win this season.

Perhaps one day Sanders could earn Sportsperson of the Year honors for a deserving coaching performance, but if you believe in the idea that you play to win the game then this year’s award should have gone to a champion such as Nikola Jokic, Bruce Bochy, Travis Kelce, Novak Djokovic or perhaps even Angel Reese.

Jokic, Njocovic, Mahomes, T Kelsey, Bochy are all good calls. Maybe even LIV golf for the disruption they caused, if you can pick an organization. SI is in it to sell clicks and magazines- no one would have done that better than Deion.

Did Nikola Jokic turn them down or something?

A coach who leads his team to a 4-8 record and has an ugly habit of throwing his players under the bus is your sports person of the year? Really? That’s almost, almost, as bad as when espn chose jenner as their sports person of the year the same year she killed someone in an automobile accident. That was absolutely deplorable. It’s been pointed out that there were other head coaches in college football this season that took over a bad program and had a better turnaround. I guess they weren’t cool enough. Hell, if you had to go the college football coach route, I would argue Jim Harbaugh would have been a better choice than Prime. Awful choice.

And I say this as a huge Atlanta Braves fan, who loved watching Deion.

Did Nikola Jokic turn them down or something?

A coach who leads his team to a 4-8 record and has an ugly habit of throwing his players under the bus is your sports person of the year? Really? That’s almost, almost, as bad as when espn chose jenner as their sports person of the year the same year she killed someone in an automobile accident. That was absolutely deplorable. It’s been pointed out that there were other head coaches in college football this season that took over a bad program and had a better turnaround. I guess they weren’t cool enough. Hell, if you had to go the college football coach route, I would argue Jim Harbaugh would have been a better choice than Prime. Awful choice.

And I say this as a huge Atlanta Braves fan, who loved watching Deion.
A total embarrassment by SI. Now let's just reward out of control NIL. And we expect Congress, the NCAA or schools to try to put the genie in the bottle??? A win for virtue signaling over results.

Another salient example of why traditional media are dying.

Last edited:
I thought he was a worthy candidate. He brought excitement back to a school who had become downtrodden and created a lot of buzz. If he stays at Colorado he will build a great team.

I thought he was a worthy candidate. He brought excitement back to a school who had become downtrodden and created a lot of buzz.
That's also what a lot of us thought about Gonzo in his first year.....how'd that work out?

I thought he was a worthy candidate. He brought excitement back to a school who had become downtrodden and created a lot of buzz. If he stays at Colorado he will build a great team.
So perhaps wait until he actually accomplished building and having a successful and winning team

Reactions: Section112
That's also what a lot of us thought about Gonzo in his first year.....how'd that work out?
Not really a fair comparison.

Wouldn’t have characterized SHU MBB as downtrodden coming off an NCAA tournament appearance the year prior.

Excitement around a coach who seemed like a shark and was going to create an uptick in recruiting. Then yes it’s a more comparable comparison.

I remember an early interview with Bobby, he said something along the lines of “we are going to land some recruits that make you think we cheated to get a player of that caliber.”

I mean I was excited to have a coach that was @#$% the world, it’s Seton Hall vs the World and we aren’t afraid to come get you.

Not really a fair comparison.

Wouldn’t have characterized SHU MBB as downtrodden coming off an NCAA tournament appearance the year prior.

Excitement around a coach who seemed like a shark and was going to create an uptick in recruiting. Then yes it’s a more comparable comparison.

I remember an early interview with Bobby, he said something along the lines of “we are going to land some recruits that make you think we cheated to get a player of that caliber.”

I mean I was excited to have a coach that was F the world, it’s Seton Hall vs the World and we aren’t afraid to come get you.
Yeah, I was just trying to make the point that just because you are excited, it's not like either actually did something meaningful in their first year. It was all about the hype....results do matter.

Reactions: LeftCoastPirates
He certainly should have been given consideration for the award but no way was he best candidate to win the award.

The exact reason why nobody can trust the media anymore. Our first line of defense is now beholden to $. A real shame.
When "news" became a business, a revenue driver, profit center, it was all over.

Reactions: Burnsly
Just my sense, but feel as if other college coaches cannot stand "Coach Prime."

To use a cowboy slogan, Deon Sanders is turning out to be all hat and no cattle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT