ADVERTISEMENT

Arizona deal with Big 12 expected to be finalized soon

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

Pete Thamel, ESPN

Arizona is in deep discussions about joining the Big 12, sources told ESPN, with a deal expected to be finalized in the near future.

The school is amid the final steps, sources said, including detailing the move in an Arizona board of regents meeting Thursday night. Big 12 presidents and CEOs met Thursday to vote on approving the move, sources confirmed to ESPN, another sign of the likelihood of it happening.

Barring an unexpected turn in the board of regents meeting, Arizona's decision is expected be formalized soon, sources said.

Arizona would be the second Pac-12 school to announce its departure for the Big 12 in a week, as Colorado announced last Thursday that it was heading to the league.

The expected move would reduce the Pac-12 to just eight schools, and it emerges on the same day that the Big Ten presidents and chancellors authorized commissioner Tony Petitti to formally explore adding Pac-12 members Oregon and Washington.

The expected move by Arizona has been viewed as a key fulcrum for the future of the Pac-12, which presented a primarily streaming-based deal with Apple to its membership Tuesday. That doesn't appear to have rallied the league together, as Arizona's intentions to finalize the deal with the Big 12 have emerged since the Pac-12 presentation. It's unknown how the move would impact that deal.

The spotlight will quickly shift to Pac-12 members Arizona State and Utah, which could take a few days to determine their future. The Big 12 has also courted them, the final two of the so-called "Corner Schools." But they always have been on a separate timeline from Colorado and Arizona, which both had meetings with the Big 12 in recent months before jumping aboard.

Arizona State and Utah have been more conservative in their approach, but sources said the tenor on that has changed recently with the flurry of events.

Arizona State president Michael Crow has been a staunch supporter of the Pac-12 and had been a longtime advocate of former commissioner Larry Scott, even after the league's trajectory went wayward. But the urgency of the league likely being reduced to eight schools has begun to push Crow past his deep loyalty.

Utah has been conservative in its realignment discussions, but the two-time defending Pac-12 football champion appears to also be more open toward Big 12 discussions. More discussions would be necessary for either Arizona State or Utah to move.

Arizona State's direction could crystalize in the wake of the Arizona board of regents meeting. The meeting quickly moved to executive session, with no public discussion expected. The tenor from the board, which oversees both Arizona and Arizona State, is that there's a preference that they stay together.

The backdrop of the expected Arizona move comes with the Big Ten exploring adding Oregon and Washington as members. That likelihood increases with each Pac-12 defection. While there exists some resistance from the Big Ten and ambiguity over potential financing, there remains an appeal for the Big Ten to add two members at below a full share.

Yahoo Sports first reported on the Big 12 vote.

Arizona to Big 12? Wildcats expected to soon follow Colorado in leaving Pac-12 for greener pastures​

Arizona is among a contingent of Pac-12 schools weighing their future in the league​

By David Cobb

usatsi-10367977.jpg

USATSI

Arizona has entered significant discussions about leaving the Pac-12 and joining the Big 12, sources tell CBS Sports' Dennis Dodd, with a move expected to be finalized soon. One source said the Wildcats have become a "hard lean" toward the Big 12 after days of conversations about whether to leave the conference they have known as home since 1978.

The Arizona Board of Regents, which oversees both Arizona and Arizona State, met Thursday night in executive session with an agenda item on "possible legal advice and discussion regarding university athletics." The topic was presumed to be conference affiliation. No formal action was taken Thursday, though that could change Friday following a Pac-12 call which is reportedly being seen as a last-ditch effort to keep the league together.
There is substantial sentiment within both athletic departments that a conference sever between Arizona and Arizona State is both undesired and unlikely, sources tell CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. The Wildcats leaving Sun Devils behind in the Pac-12 "would be extremely surprising," one high-ranking source said.

The Arizona Board of Regents, which oversees both Arizona and Arizona State, met Thursday night in executive session with an agenda item on "possible legal advice and discussion regarding university athletics." The topic was presumed to be conference affiliation. No formal action was taken Thursday, though that could change Friday following a Pac-12 call which is reportedly being seen as a last-ditch effort to keep the league together.

There is substantial sentiment within both athletic departments that a conference sever between Arizona and Arizona State is both undesired and unlikely, sources tell CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. The Wildcats leaving Sun Devils behind in the Pac-12 "would be extremely surprising," one high-ranking source said.

"I just can't imagine Arizona going to the Big 12 and Arizona State not going with," another source said.

Power brokers at both schools, including crucial members on the Board of Regents, do not desire a split and would prefer to keep the unique UA-ASU rivalry and partnership. The question becomes: Is the Big 12 wanting to stay at 14 members, or is it willing to move to 16 members by bringing Utah aboard as well?

Big 12 executives on Thursday approved Arizona as the conference's 14th member should the Board of Regents give the go-ahead for a move, according to multiple reports.

The already murky future of the Pac-12 would hang in the balance should the Wildcats depart the league. Colorado left the conference for the Big 12 last week prior to Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff delivering an underwhelming presentation to university administrators from the league early this week on a future media rights deal centering around a streaming contract with Apple.

The Big 12 has long been focused on expanding with at least two -- if not all four -- of the Pac-12's "Four Corners" schools. Arizona State and Utah are seen as the most likely potential additions should the Big 12 seek further expansion.

If the Pac-12 loses more members from its Southern bloc, we may see an entire additional round of realignment. The Big Ten has begun seriously considering adding Oregon and Washington to its league.

There is presently a hangup in the economics of adding the Ducks and Huskies, however, as both programs are seeking additional annual revenue to cover travel expenses through the Midwest and East Coast, sources tell Dodd. At least in Washington's case, that could mean about $10 million in additional funds per year.

The Apple-focused media rights package presented to Pac-12 members this week includes tiers of incentivization with a significant upside for teams if certain subscription numbers are met, sources told Dodd. However, the financial projections emerging from the meeting are believed to start around $20 million per school annually. By contrast, Big 12 schools are set to receive nearly $32 million annually through their new media rights agreement with ESPN and Fox.

Last one out of the PAC 12 (and quickly dwindling), turn out the lights! If I’m an Arizona State alum I’m wondering why my guy is so committed to staying on what is basically the Titanic and praying he doesn’t go screwing things up so that the Big 12 decides to look elsewhere (though most of these conferences seem to just want to stockpile schools, logic be damned!).

Reactions: TomD82
There is a meeting today for the Pac 9 schools to discuss Grant of Rights. The chance of the majority of schools agreeing to it is low but it could cause the decision day to come sooner than later for schools looking to leave.

Apparently, Oregon and Washington might be staying now. Or at least their plan to go to the Big10 has cooled overnight.

Apparently, Oregon and Washington might be staying now. Or at least their plan to go to the Big10 has cooled overnight.
Because right now they don’t have anywhere to go. They don’t have an offer from eithe4 the B10 or B12.

Oregon and Washington are negotiating for more $ but I think if I were the Big 10 I would not take Pac 12 teams that couldn't help their own confernce. And plus, does RU and Maryland really want to play 2-4 games on the West coast? I would wait for Notre Dame and Clemson to become available.

Oregon and Washington are negotiating for more $ but I think if I were the Big 10 I would not take Pac 12 teams that couldn't help their own confernce. And plus, does RU and Maryland really want to play 2-4 games on the West coast? I would wait for Notre Dame and Clemson to become available.
You really think Maryland and Rutgers have that much say? The Big 10 could replace Rutgers right now and not think twice about it!

Reactions: schultz1825
Who is left in the 6 PAC?

Arizona - Big 12
Arizona State - Big 12??
California
Colorado - Big 12
Oregon - Big Ten
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA - Big Ten
USC - Big Ten
Utah - Big 12??
Washington - Big Ten
Washington State

If ASU and Utah leave, only Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State would remain. What makes me scratch my head is with all the talk about capturing TV markets, Cal and Stanford (San Francisco market, a big one) would be left holding the bag.

Arizona - Big 12
Arizona State - Big 12??
California
Colorado - Big 12
Oregon - Big Ten
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA - Big Ten
USC - Big Ten
Utah - Big 12??
Washington - Big Ten
Washington State

If ASU and Utah leave, only Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State would remain. What makes me scratch my head is with all the talk about capturing TV markets, Cal and Stanford (San Francisco market, a big one) would be left holding the bag.
Thanks.

That bag they’re left holding is a flaming bag of dog poo!

But flaming bags of dog poo that play fb get more media money than we do.

Does anyone expect these musical chairs to stop anytime soon? Feels like conference realignment will only continue to happen more often and rapidly.

This sucks for fans. When PSU and RU football/basketbeall is on TV from 11-1 am I really don't care. But if SHU was on TV at that time for 4 games a year I would be mad. And the Pac 12 fans will now have to fly to Illinois for the conference tourn and many now will have to buy a winter coat.
I agree with the poster above ...1 conference (and regional divisions in football basketball) may be the only thing that makes sense for the future.

I always thought it would end up four 16 team leagues. Looks like it’s going to be close to that.

I assume the B1G is going to throw a lifeline to Cal and Stanford on the basis of their academic stature.

Arizona state AU Utah and Utah joining big 12. Arizona state has it posted on their home site. PAC down to 4. More Dominoes to follow.

Have to wonder what the realignment of the SEC,Big 10 and Big 12 mean to the Big East?Seems a basketball only school conference can still make it because of its uniqueness but have to wonder whether it can be held together?Will they have enough $ to compete against the football schools for recruits?

Have to wonder what the realignment of the SEC,Big 10 and Big 12 mean to the Big East?Seems a basketball only school conference can still make it because of its uniqueness but have to wonder whether it can be held together?Will they have enough $ to compete against the football schools for recruits?
And does it make it more or less likely for the big schools in our conference to stick around? Is it done for now, or are there going to be more crazy moves in the next few months?

Yes. Football schools always had more money.

At what point do these now mega conferences say there are just too many mouths to feed and decide to jettison the dead weight? Or do they get to a point where they decide that someone else looks more appealing and decide to cut someone in order to add someone else?

Last edited:
Reactions: U-Hall
At what point do these now mega conferences say there are just too many mouths to feed and decide to jettison the dead weight? Or do the get to a point where they decide that someone else looks more appealing and decide to cut someone in order to add someone else?
Or the teams in those conferences that have the more valuable brands want a bigger slice of the pie. By-laws and governance….devil will be in the details.

I see what you mean though. This is not like the NFL.

Reactions: SHUisNJsTeam
Or the teams in those conferences that have the more valuable brands want a bigger slice of the pie. By-laws and governance….devil will be in the details.

I see what you mean though. This is not like the NFL.
Everyone can’t finish first all the time either. How long can you keep finishing 18th and still expect your alums to happily hand over NIL money and donations (especially if everyone is not getting the same slice of the pie)? Those getting smaller pie slices are also most likely to have smaller donor pools even if they have larger alumni bases.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Yes we’ll be fine all that extra money goes to football expenses anyway so I think it’s pretty moot for the Big East to go against super football conferences

PAC 12 crumbling was the life line for the B12.

My thesis remains that we see the Big10, BIG12 and SEC all get to 20 football teams and as a result the ACC is the card that crumbles. Big East will have the opportunity to play as the power basketball conference.

Everyone can’t finish first all the time either. How long can you keep finishing 18th and still expect your alums to happily hand over NIL money and donations (especially if everyone is not getting the same slice of the pie)? Those getting smaller pie slices are also most likely to have smaller donor pools even if they have larger alumni bases.
We are talking RU which has been doing this for decades

We are talking RU which has been doing this for decades
For Rutgers this would be business as usual but this will begin to be a new reality for some others. Can’t think of any schools that aspire to be Rutgers but that is what some of them have unwittingly signed on for.

Reactions: radecicco
Several BC type schools in the B10 snd SEC when it comes to football. Northwestern and Vanderbilt immediately come to mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT