ADVERTISEMENT

As predicted

Honestly, Can somebody explain how St. John’s is ranked so highly in kenpom and the net? What am I missing. For what it’s worth, I think we’re slightly underrated but not by much..

Dick, his site does have a lot of quality info. And for Trove purposes it's entertaining. But his metrics just don't do any favors for the Pirates.
i dont even care that ours isnt that good. our team has some really low moments. cannot for the life of me figure out what SJU has done. did they beat up depaul in the last 5 mins?

Late in the game they said and had on the screen that our SOS was 136. That can’t possibly be right.

So Villanova, Utah and Xavier is better than Missouri, UConn, Marquette, Xavier and…st John’s 2x?

I really think their wins over Nova are carrying them. I can't believe Nova is 31 in net. It is very possible that our Nova game is possible quad 1 opportunity for us.

Hall resume is better than a last 4 in team. We just don't put up style points and blow the doors off teams., so metrics are hurt.

Honestly, Can somebody explain how St. John’s is ranked so highly in kenpom and the net? What am I missing. For what it’s worth, I think we’re slightly underrated but not by much..
Kenpom is a complicated algorithm that considers the head coach's prior vacated national championships, number of sex scandals, a charisma multiplier, and average price per tailor-made suit. Known as the baggage and BS efficiency metric.

KP and NET are broken. just run the score up against depaul and it means a lot more than beating #1 UCONN

lets get the official fact straight, SJU has done nothing to deserve the ranking they have.
Well they have 2 games left with Georgetown and 1 with DePaul....if they win those 3 they will probably jump a dozen spots.....LOL

Reactions: SHUSA
Dick, his site does have a lot of quality info. And for Trove purposes it's entertaining. But his metrics just don't do any favors for the Pirates.
If others enjoy it, keep it up. I think it is garbage.

Hoping we win three home games and not go 2-3 over last five. Winning on road will be extremely tough. UConn and Creighton playing real well. Don’t want to leave it in hands of committee. 3-2 and one win in BET too would seal it.

Last edited:
Hoping we win three home games and not go 2-3 over last five. Winning on road will be extremely tough. UConn and Creighton playing real well. Don’t want to leave it in hands of committee. 3-2 and one win in BET too would seal it.
has anyone not gotten in at 13-7 in the big east?? BET shouldnt matter if we go 3-2

Reactions: Jerry1992
I guess close losses mean more than anything else…..
In a sense, kind of as it’s a predicative metric on competitiveness using a full seasons data. Pomeroy himself has pointed to its limitations and what it’s to be used for.

Kenpom is a complicated algorithm that considers the head coach's prior vacated national championships, number of sex scandals, a charisma multiplier, and average price per tailor-made suit. Known as the baggage and BS efficiency metric.
Ahhh. That makes sense. Kenpom is a dungeon master.

has anyone not gotten in at 13-7 in the big east?? BET shouldnt matter if we go 3-2
Probably very high likelihood BET won’t but the committee always makes me nervous. With our luck we might be first. Ha. The one win in BET would leave no doubts. I want to relax that Sunday.

Reactions: SHUSA
And look at it this way…. We just got a bump on our resume bc we beat a team on the road who is 6-9 in the BE, lol. So it’s not all bad!

Metrics!

• Haha
Reactions: pirate AI and SHUSA
These metrics are simply trash. How about the committee be required to watch the teams they are considering for at large bids and stop relying on statistics. We don’t always look great or put up stats but e we are gritty. We we lock in on Defense we are tough to beat.

Reactions: Turiddu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT