ADVERTISEMENT

BET matchups

donnie_baseball

All World
Mar 31, 2006
We clinched 4th, and it doesn't seem as though getting to third is likely - mostly Marquette losing to Xavier.

The win last night was big because it helped avoid a re-match with Nova in a week
St. John's has Georgetown, and seem like the likeliest to nab 5th. Nova has Creighton and PC has Uconn.

Pitino really fired up his team with that diatribe he went on after losing to us at UBS. Will St. John's fans grab up tickets? That session, which also has UConn's first game, is extremely inflated (thanks, Fairfield County crew) on the resale market.

While I know there’s a slight chance of us moving up beyond 4th, it seems highly, highly unlikely. I don’t know the probabilities but feels like 95% it’s us and St. John’s on Thursday afternoon.

**I can’t see Xavier beating Marquette, even if Kolek doesn’t play again. Xavier looks roasted and Miller has been sitting a lot of his guys for not giving the type of effort or defensive intensity he wants. It was Olivari last night. That would leave Marquette at 23-8, 14-6 and in 2nd place and they’re the one we need to pull into the tiebreaker.

**I definitely think Villanova (17-13, 10-9) can upset Creighton, but that leaves them 22-9, 13-7 anyway.

**St. John’s (18-12, 10-9) is not losing to Georgetown at MSG and they swept Villanova.

So, St. John's is hot right now, but the benefit of playing them is that, if I understand correctly, that counts as a true road game for us, and thus, a better NET opportunity assuming we win. It'll be tough, but we've beaten them twice (which can work both ways, I guess).

I wonder who the UConn contingent would be rooting for in that 4/5 game, us or the Johnnies? Any thoughts, @CL82? There'll be enough Huskies there to make a difference in crowd energy.

3rd place gets the benefit of playing a team who played on Wednesday (if playing against DePaul even constitutes as playing is up for debate) and also gets you into The Garden for a fraction of the price. And wouldn’t it be all too fitting to find ourselves in the late game? It’s a long shot, but it is possible…

Reactions: Piratz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT