bob-knight.jpg

Bob KnightAP

MORE ON:
BOB KNIGHT

Money going to puzzling ends at MLB and Rutgers

Why ESPN believes in TV epidemic that baffles baseball fans

Two-faced ESPN only investigates Bobby Knight after he left Bristol

Bob Knight jersey stolen from high school fundraiser

A reunion between Bob Knight and Indiana might never happen because the legendary coach is struggling with health issues, according to longtime Hoosiers radio voice Don Fischer.

When doing an interview on “The Drive with Jack & Tom,” a radio show based out of Lansing, Mich., Fischer was asked if he could foresee a scenario in which the former coach would mend fences with Indiana.

This was his response:

“I hesitate to say anything about that right now because coach Knight is not well,” Fischer said in the Wednesday interview (at the 9:30 mark of the below video). “He’s going through some major issues and it hurts me to even talk about it just because a man with that kind of a mind, who was so tremendous at coaching the game of basketball, and you know, at the age that we get to at this point in our lives, you want to keep thinking that that brain is never going to go away, and it appears that’s a real problem for him right now and what he’s dealing with.”

However, when reached by the Indianapolis Star on Friday, Fischer backtracked, saying he didn’t have first-hand knowledge of the 78-year-old Knight’s condition and that he was “not a doctor.”

Fischer, who originally did not want the paper to publish the story when he was contacted, later gave a statement in which he reiterated that Knight’s health “has declined.”

He also regretted talking about Knight’s health during the interview.

“Honestly, I probably shouldn’t have said what I said, because now everyone’s talking about it like there’s something really wrong with Coach Knight,” Fischer said in the statement. “That’s not what I was trying to say, I don’t mean to intimate in any way shape or form that he’s on his death bed. That’s not the case, that I know of. Just that his health has declined.”

Knight, who became infamous for his fiery outbursts, has not had a good relationship with Indiana since he was fired in 2000 for grabbing Indiana student Kent Harvey by the arm in violation of a zero-tolerance policy that was put in place after the coach was caught on tape choking former player Neil Reed, who died in 2012 of heart complications.

Knight also flashed his legendary temper when he was ejected for tossing a chair on the floor while arguing a call during the Hoosiers’ 72-63 loss to Purdue in 1985.

Knight, who campaigned extensively with President Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign, has not been to the school since he was fired. He skipped many chances to return to the campus, including a 2016 event — the 40th anniversary celebration of the 1976 unbeaten national championship team.

After leaving Army, Knight won three national titles during his 29 years at Indiana, compiling a 659-242 record. Knight coached for seven seasons at Texas Tech after leaving Indiana. He later worked as a college basketball analyst on ESPN until 2015.

Allegations against Knight surfaced in October 2016 when one of his former players, Todd Jadlow, accused the legendary coach of grabbing players “by the groin” and hitting him over the head with a clipboard, among other incidents.

Jadlow, a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, had his allegations backed up by another of Knight’s former players, Ricky Calloway, who said he saw Knight slap, punch and kick players and “grab guys by the groin all the time.”

According to the Indianapolis Star, Knight is scheduled to appear in a public event on April 4 at Center Grove High School with longtime friend and former Bloomington Herald-Times editor/writer Bob Hammel for “An Evening with Bob Knight.”

Hammel did not respond to an email the paper sent seeking comment.

Well, despite the header of this thread, the source backtracked and said he doesn't really know what the situation is and "I don’t mean to intimate in any way shape or form that he’s on his death bed."

Well, despite the header of this thread, the source backtracked and said he doesn't really know what the situation is and "I don’t mean to intimate in any way shape or form that he’s on his death bed."
That’s likely, crap, what did I say? Probably not for public consumption.

He backtracked after taking heat about his comments re Knight's brain functions. I think it's pretty clear that there is a major problem here. Which unfortunately is very sad despite what many might think of the individual as a person.

He backtracked after taking heat about his comments re Knight's brain functions. I think it's pretty clear that there is a major problem here. Which unfortunately is very sad despite what many might think of the individual as a person.
Agreed it's sad about anybody.

Reactions: BabyBlue
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ach-bob-knight-health-don-fischer/3030941002/

Health of legendary IU basketball coach Bob Knight said to be in decline

Matthew Glenesk and Jim Ayello, Indianapolis Star

Legendary IU basketball coach Bob Knight is struggling with health issues, according to longtime Hoosiers radio voice Don Fischer.

On Wednesday, on "The Drive with Jack & Tom," a radio show based out of Lansing, Mich., Fischer was asked what it would take for Knight to mend fences with IU and return to Assembly Hall. In his response, Fischer said the 78-year-old Hall-of-Fame coach is "not well."

"I hesitate to say anything about that right now because coach Knight is not well," Fischer said. "He's going through some major issues and it hurts me to even talk about it just because a man with that kind of a mind, who was so tremendous at coaching the game of basketball, and you know, at the age that we get to at this point in our lives, you want to keep thinking that that brain is never going to go away, and it appears that's a real problem for him right now and what he's dealing with."

IndyStar reached out to Fischer on Friday afternoon after hearing what he said on the broadcast. He spoke with a reporter and two editors, and requested that the story not be published.

Fischer said that he didn't have any first-hand knowledge of Knight's health and that he was "not a doctor."

He later gave a statement to IndyStar in which he reiterated that Knight's health "has declined."

"Honestly, I probably shouldn't have said what I said, because now everyone's talking about it like there's something really wrong with Coach Knight," Fischer said in the statement.

"That's not what I was trying to say," he said in the statement. "I don't mean to intimate in any way shape or form that he's on his death bed. That's not the case, that I know of. Just that his health has declined."

Knight's recent public appearances
Knight, who coached the Hoosiers from 1971 to 2000 and led IU to three national championships, has made a number of public appearances in the state and the region recently.

In 2016, he stumped for then-Presidential candidate Donald Trump at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. That same year, Knight appeared with Trump at a rally in Michigan, where he interrupted Trump twice.

He also appeared with Trump in Southport in Nov. 2018.

Knight has had a tumultuous relationship with IU since the school fired him in 2000 following a violation of a zero-tolerance policy, He grabbed IU student Kent Harvey by the arm.

Knight has skipped numerous opportunities to return to campus, including a 40th anniversary celebration of the 1976 undefeated national championship team in 2016.

He is scheduled to appear at Center Grove High School on April 4 with longtime friend and former Bloomington Herald-Times editor/writer Bob Hammel for "An Evening with Bob Knight."

Hammel did not respond to an email seeking comment Friday.

Agreed. For anyone. And especially for a prideful guy who like him or not has/had an incredibly sharp mind.

Dementia?

As great a basketball mind as he was he was/is a cringeworthy human being. Anyone catch his 30 for 30 where he said he wished everyone at Indiana involved with his dismissal would “die”? Sadly Neil Reed died very young. So did Jason Collier, another of his outspoken players regarding his behavior. Knight was/is a very questionable human, to be sure.

Bob Knight’s health is declining
By Ted Holmlund
H
ola
bob-knight.jpg

Bob KnightAP

MORE ON:
BOB KNIGHT

Money going to puzzling ends at MLB and Rutgers

Why ESPN believes in TV epidemic that baffles baseball fans

Two-faced ESPN only investigates Bobby Knight after he left Bristol

Bob Knight jersey stolen from high school fundraiser

A reunion between Bob Knight and Indiana might never happen because the legendary coach is struggling with health issues, according to longtime Hoosiers radio voice Don Fischer.

When doing an interview on “The Drive with Jack & Tom,” a radio show based out of Lansing, Mich., Fischer was asked if he could foresee a scenario in which the former coach would mend fences with Indiana.

This was his response:

“I hesitate to say anything about that right now because coach Knight is not well,” Fischer said in the Wednesday interview (at the 9:30 mark of the below video). “He’s going through some major issues and it hurts me to even talk about it just because a man with that kind of a mind, who was so tremendous at coaching the game of basketball, and you know, at the age that we get to at this point in our lives, you want to keep thinking that that brain is never going to go away, and it appears that’s a real problem for him right now and what he’s dealing with.”

However, when reached by the Indianapolis Star on Friday, Fischer backtracked, saying he didn’t have first-hand knowledge of the 78-year-old Knight’s condition and that he was “not a doctor.”

Fischer, who originally did not want the paper to publish the story when he was contacted, later gave a statement in which he reiterated that Knight’s health “has declined.”

He also regretted talking about Knight’s health during the interview.

“Honestly, I probably shouldn’t have said what I said, because now everyone’s talking about it like there’s something really wrong with Coach Knight,” Fischer said in the statement. “That’s not what I was trying to say, I don’t mean to intimate in any way shape or form that he’s on his death bed. That’s not the case, that I know of. Just that his health has declined.”

Knight, who became infamous for his fiery outbursts, has not had a good relationship with Indiana since he was fired in 2000 for grabbing Indiana student Kent Harvey by the arm in violation of a zero-tolerance policy that was put in place after the coach was caught on tape choking former player Neil Reed, who died in 2012 of heart complications.

Knight also flashed his legendary temper when he was ejected for tossing a chair on the floor while arguing a call during the Hoosiers’ 72-63 loss to Purdue in 1985.

Knight, who campaigned extensively with President Trump during the 2016 presidential campaign, has not been to the school since he was fired. He skipped many chances to return to the campus, including a 2016 event — the 40th anniversary celebration of the 1976 unbeaten national championship team.

After leaving Army, Knight won three national titles during his 29 years at Indiana, compiling a 659-242 record. Knight coached for seven seasons at Texas Tech after leaving Indiana. He later worked as a college basketball analyst on ESPN until 2015.

Allegations against Knight surfaced in October 2016 when one of his former players, Todd Jadlow, accused the legendary coach of grabbing players “by the groin” and hitting him over the head with a clipboard, among other incidents.

Jadlow, a recovering alcoholic and drug addict, had his allegations backed up by another of Knight’s former players, Ricky Calloway, who said he saw Knight slap, punch and kick players and “grab guys by the groin all the time.”

According to the Indianapolis Star, Knight is scheduled to appear in a public event on April 4 at Center Grove High School with longtime friend and former Bloomington Herald-Times editor/writer Bob Hammel for “An Evening with Bob Knight.”

Hammel did not respond to an email the paper sent seeking comment.

Knight’s style reflected a standard of disciplining that was pretty widespread in that era.

The man was a remarkable basketball mind.
He looked awful today and it threw me for a loop. He and wooden are the two coaches who dominated imo when I was younger

I’m not a fan of Knight, but it was good to see him return to Assembly Hall yesterday and feel the embrace of that fan base. Such an angry, bitter guy, maybe it will help melt him a little bit. Good for those fans, too, to be able to show him their appreciation.

He did not look good, and I think it’s a great thing for both sides to put the past behind and remember and have a moment like that.

In the same vein, can MLB please do the same with Pete Rose? Yeah, he’s a knucklehead but he does belong in the HoF. What he did a long time ago does not look that bad relatively speaking.

I’m not a fan of Knight, but it was good to see him return to Assembly Hall yesterday and feel the embrace of that fan base. Such an angry, bitter guy, maybe it will help melt him a little bit. Good for those fans, too, to be able to show him their appreciation.

Seconded about his return. It's always refreshing to see a coming together after an estrangement. I thought it was great, a special moment filled with genuine emotion by both sides.

https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...t-indiana-basketball-loses-purdue/4623219002/

Reactions: Halldan1
Mark Cuban and Sage Steele both were courtside

Knight still had his trademark pep too. The exchange with Vitale when it looked like he didn't want his hair messed with a playful exchange, and the "Play Defense!" to the crowd.

Classic Bobby Knight.

He looked awful today and it threw me for a loop. He and wooden are the two coaches who dominated imo when I was younger

Agree Coach Knight did not look good. There's a part of me that believes (wants to) some of that can be attributed to his having an emotional day. In the clip I saw Gene Keady didn't look like the picture of health either. That will happen when talking about men around the age of 80.

I'm glad that he was able to put his ill will aside and return home. His is a complicated legacy and he's earned every bit of praise and criticism that comes his way. He is a college basketball icon and should be remembered largely for that.

Reactions: BabyBlue and Piratz
Agree Coach Knight did not look good. There's a part of me that believes (wants to) some of that can be attributed to his having an emotional day. In the clip I saw Gene Keady didn't look like the picture of health either. That will happen when talking about men around the age of 80.

I'm glad that he was able to put his ill will aside and return home. His is a complicated legacy and he's earned every bit of praise and criticism that comes his way. He is a college basketball icon and should be remembered largely for that.
Very well said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT