ADVERTISEMENT

Carino: Hall's Jaren Sina transferring to George Washington

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
B9317018083Z.1_20150422193853_000_G56AHH1A9.1-0.jpg

After considering a broad range of options, from Holy Cross to Michigan, former Seton Hall guard Jaren Sina will continue his college basketball career at George Washington.
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...etball-jaren-sina-george-washington/26210285/
http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...etball-jaren-sina-george-washington/26210285/

George Washington Lands Transfers Jaren Sina, Alex Mitola

April 22nd, 2015 7:25 pm

Seton Hall transfer Jaren Sina is off the board to George Washington, where he will join former Gill St. Bernard’s teammate Alex Mitola, a Dartmouth transfer.

Sina also considered Michigan, Stanford, Boston College, South Carolina, Binghamton and Rhode Island, among others.

“I have made a decision and I will be playing for Coach Mike Lonergan at George Washington University,” Sina said in a group text.

“I really loved the relationship with the players, the coaches and the school,” he added by text.

The 6-foot-2 Sina, who averaged 7.0 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.3 assists, will have to sit a year per NCAA transfer regulations unless he obtains a waiver.

The 5-11 Mitola is eligible right away after averaging 12.4 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists last season at Dartmouth.

“They are two kids that are winners,” Gill St. Bernard’s coach Mergin Sina and Jaren’s father told SNY.tv. “Both have a lot to prove in their own ways. I won’t bet against the results. Coach Lonergan will be very happy.”

Follow Adam Zagoria on Twitter

http://zagsblog.com/articles/george-washington-lands-seton-hall-transfer-jaren-sina/

Gotta disagree with the idea that Sina will have a bigger role at GW than Michigan. He is made for Beilen's system. He would have been a nice role player for Michigan, and I am not sure he will have a much bigger role at GW. I think we learned from his time at SHU that he is not a PG. At least I did.

What a great moment that was. (sigh)

I don't like how things went down but none of it makes him a bad person and by all accounts he's not. Hope he finds what he's looking for at GW. Best of luck.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Sina would have been a great fit at Michigan. A Stu Douglass type player.

Lonergan is a good coach though. Sina should thrive there. I wish him well.

Good decision by Sina. Has a good chance to be high impact player there. Best of luck to him.

when he hit that 3 in the BET last year I thought that was a defining moment and that he was the real deal. He played way too many minutes this year which totally took him out of his game. However when push comes to shove, i now think that it was only a lucky shot.

when he hit that 3 in the BET last year I thought that was a defining moment and that he was the real deal. He played way too many minutes this year which totally took him out of his game. However when push comes to shove, i now think that it was only a lucky shot.

He was asked to do way too much this year and was overextended. As a result his outside shot suffered and it led to a lot of questioning because everyone knew he wasn't that kind of player, which is unhealthy for everyone.

He was asked to do way too much this year and was overextended. As a result his outside shot suffered and it led to a lot of questioning because everyone knew he wasn't that kind of player, which is unhealthy for everyone.
When everyone was getting on Sina's case I was sitting here being furious at Willard. It was clear what was happening. He played his player into failure. What a guy!

That has always been my stance, but my final thought is that he wasnt as big time as I thought he would be. Going to the A10 sort of solidifies that point.

When the subject of "player development" comes up with Willard, Sina is a real puzzling one. Here's a kid that is a PG (which his coach is) that was mis/over-used and done even more disservice since his coach also couldn't manage the locker-room. His stats got worse as a result and left the program out of frustration. That would not qualify as good "player development".

When the subject of "player development" comes up with Willard, Sina is a real puzzling one. Here's a kid that is a PG (which his coach is) that was mis/over-used and done even more disservice since his coach also couldn't manage the locker-room. His stats got worse as a result and left the program out of frustration. That would not qualify as good "player development".

Pete, I always thought that one of the most important things for a coach in any sport is to maximize the players chances for success. It's not always possible but coaches should do their best not to put a player in position to fail. Don't hang them out to dry by asking them to do what they can't do.

I see it as separate, yet conjoined areas:

1). "Player Development" where you are working on an individual player and getting them to improve their games and become more efficient, complete players.

2). "Personnel Management" which is where you develop roles, substitution patterns, and manage the locker room,

Assistant/position coaches are good the first. Head coaches are good at both. Until proven otherwise I think KW is #1.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT