ADVERTISEMENT

Community, competition and classroom

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

By JP Pelzman

When Seton Hall University President Dr. Joseph Nyre was asked his opinion of Kevin Willard, he replied, “I’ve known Kevin Willard for quite awhile. We’re extremely fortunate to have Kevin leading our program. Our student athletes are succeeding in the three “Cs” - in the community, in competition and most importantly in the classroom.”

And, Willard has turned the Pirates men’s basketball team into a group that has played well above par in recent years, reaching the NCAA Tournament four straight seasons from 2016-19.

Dr. Nyre said, “I'm impressed with Kevin because not only does he win, he wins with integrity and he knows his players well and they respect him very much.”

Of course, Willard and his coaching staff had The Hall poised for a likely No. 3 seed had COVID-19 not canceled the 2020 NCAA Tournament.

“You think about that impact,” Nyre said, “for these athletes who trained all their lives for that experience.”

True to form, Willard tried to console his crestfallen players as best he could, inviting them over to his house as he usually does on Selection Sunday. Except of course, there were no brackets to be revealed that year.

That goes back to Dr. Nyre’s three Cs – community, competition and classroom.

The president said that the objective also is for coaches to encourage their players “to be good citizens and to help the community. We want coaches who do that and Kevin Willard does a tremendous job of ensuring that we win in all three of those categories--competition, the classroom and the community" he repeated. "He is a phenomenal leader.”

Willard's former immediate boss used to be athletics director Pat Lyons. But shortly after Dr. Nyre became Seton Hall’s 21st President on Aug. 1, 2019, he appointed Lyons to the position Executive Vice President and Chief of Staff.

Nyre indicated that he recognized how excellent a fit Lyons would be for the position when he met with him during the transitional phase after Nyre was hired in February 2019.

“Pat Lyons is a phenomenal leader,” Nyre noted. “He's a connector. He sees the big picture, understands strategy and is able to manage the day-to-day.

“People that work with Pat or that know him recognize that he’s a very effective leader. He and I share the same work ethic. We have a shared vision and it seemed to me he would be absolutely perfect to help Seton Hall elevate.”

Nyre also praised Senior Vice President of Enrollment Management Dr. Alyssa McCloud as being “one of the best in the country” in that field, and also lauded Provost Dr. Katia Passerini, who took office in February 2020. He further cited Vice President of University Relations Matthew Borowick, who has been with the university since 1999, and Jon Paparsenos, Vice President, University Advancement.

Nyre gives high marks to all of his executive cabinet and notes that because of the pandemic, “A lot of them had not met each other in-person until recently. It's an impressive group that is working every day and every night not only to lead Seton Hall through the pandemic, but to help Seton Hall lean forward and rise during the pandemic.”

Since Nyre became Seton Hall’s president, the school has steadily risen in U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of the country’s best colleges and universities. Seton Hall was No. 139 in the report released in September 2019, No. 133 a year later, and 127 in the most recent rankings.

Seton Hall also is listed as a doctoral university of high research activity by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education.

Nyre believes that all of this success, and the university’s commitment to capital improvements while managing the effects of the ongoing pandemic, “signals that we’re headed in the right direction, but as with most things, time is the best measure of success. I do believe the country is realizing more and more the great value of a Seton Hall education.

“If we can ensure that a Seton Hall degree is worth more next year than it was last year,” he added, “then all know it’s a great investment for our students and their families that are counting on us to make sure their sons and daughters have a transformational experience.”

How does Seton Hall balance its commitment to being a national and global university while still retaining the values of its roots as a small Catholic university in New Jersey?

Nyre replied, “We think recruiting students nationally, which we do successfully--we have a lot of students from other states--adds to the vibrancy of the university. We are a national research university (as noted by the Carnegie designation).

“We believe in the national nature of Seton Hall,” he continued, “but we also recognize there are many people who live locally who recognize Seton Hall’s value.”

Interestingly, Dr. Nyre noted, “We have a lot of students who live off-campus with their friends but in very close proximity. So, they are living away from home, but off-campus. We know if we improve the quality and amount of housing, more of those students will live on campus and it will create a more vibrant campus.

“So, whether you’re commuting because you live in New Jersey, or whether you’re from California and you’re attending Seton Hall University, whether you’re living on or off-campus, when you step on campus, we’re working hard to make sure that it’s a vibrant experience and that we’re able to compete” with other universities.

As for the future, the Seton Hall President said, “Prior to the pandemic coming ashore, higher education was in a state of severe disruption, and a period of change particularly in the Midwest and the Northeast. … The pandemic has accelerated this disruption, this period of change. I think Seton Hall is extremely well-positioned to do great things during this time of disruption.

“COVID has served,” he added, “as a bright spotlight for the leadership qualities and fractures within all sectors, including municipalities, government, small business, and certainly education – especially those and sectors and institutions that were already struggling. I firmly believe that the bright light that shone on Seton Hall demonstrated the greatness of Seton Hall, and the people that have worked so hard to make sure this great university continues to lean forward.”

Nyre said, “In a time of great unrest and division, Seton Hall has demonstrated to people on the outside looking in that Seton Hall is a great institution. I’m grateful to be here and I'm grateful to all the people that make (our success) a reality."

Gratitude echoed by those that look upon their current president for the leadership and vision he is now providing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News