ADVERTISEMENT

Conference representation in Sweet 16…..

Hall91

All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
I think this proves to be one of the more objective ways to measure which Power conferences reign. By my count:

ACC (4) - conference has been knocked in recent years, but you tend to see teams continue to do well in Tourney

Big East (3) - Creighton and Marquette survive and advance in Round 2, UConn appears to still be the favorite, but I get the feeling this year could be the year where we see all 1 seeds make the Final 4, so no easy path To repeat

B1G, SEC, Big 12 - (2) each.

PAC 10 - (1)

MTN West - (1) The Big East bid stealing conference

WCC - (1) Gonzaga having a nice Tourney

No doubt, we got screwed being excluded from Tourney.

Does this mean the ACC and PAC10 were really good this year and Big 12 wasnt? Mtn west 6 to 1? But I gotta say I liked the MW teams I watched late in he season.

BT - twice as many bids, but one less S16 than the mighty mighty Big East.

Reactions: shupat08
Right.Both the ACC and BE have been criticized for being down this year yet they got the most teams in the Final 4.Before we further criticize the Mountain West lets beat UNLV Wednesday.

Right.Both the ACC and BE have been criticized for being down this year yet they got the most teams in the Final 4.Before we further criticize the Mountain West lets beat UNLV Wednesday.
I watched the second half of BC/UNLV from Vegas. Huge home crowd for the Rebels. They are in for a major shock and change in atmosphere when they move from their huge, friendly arena to our tiny, raucous gym. A very nice advantage for us, but they will not be easy to beat.

I think this proves to be one of the more objective ways to measure which Power conferences reign. By my count:

ACC (4) - conference has been knocked in recent years, but you tend to see teams continue to do well in Tourney

Big East (3) - Creighton and Marquette survive and advance in Round 2, UConn appears to still be the favorite, but I get the feeling this year could be the year where we see all 1 seeds make the Final 4, so no easy path To repeat

PAC 10 - (1)

SDSU has the easiest path every single year. gets so lucky.

Reactions: HallB and Bluebeard
Win percentage in the tournament is a better measure, perhaps, than the raw number of teams each conference has because each started with a different number.

PAC 10 - (1)

Win percentages in terms of remaining teams in sweet 16:
Big East - 3 sweet sixteen (3 teams in). 100%
ACC - 4 sweet sixteen (5 teams in) 80%
WCC - 1 sweet sixteen (2 teams in) 50%
Big 10 - 2 sweet sixteen (6 teams in) 33%
Big 12 - 2 sweet sixteen (8 teams in) 25% UGH
SEC - 2 sweet sixteen (8 teams in) 25% UGH
PAC 12 - 1 sweet sixteen (4 teams in) 25%
Mtn West - 1 sweet sixteen (6 teams in ) 17% UGH
A10/American - 0 sweet sixteen (2 teams in) 0%

Yeah. 3 teams in the field from the Big East seems about right. And it seems like we should be a bit more critical of the selection committee and tell them publicly they got it wrong. What are they going to do, punish us with only 2 teams next year?

Yeah. 3 teams in the field from the Big East seems about right. And it seems like we should be a bit more critical of the selection committee and tell them publicly they got it wrong. What are they going to do, punish us with only 2 teams next year?
Years ago TBEC sent three teams to the FF. Hoping for a repeat and an all BE NC game!!!

Still can't believe we didn't get a bid, and so proud the conference has three S16 teams.

One thing that works to the favorable numbers is that the three BE teams are 1, 2 and 3 seeds. Leagues with more teams have much lower seeds, so more likely to have early losses.

Love Danny sticking up for us though. We should have been at the very least a four bid league with SJU or Providence as a possible fifth.

I agree, you have to start comparing the numbers on the at large bids or assumed at large bids (eg, UConn got a bid from winning our tourney but still would have been an at large bid) to teams remaining in sweet sixteen to get a better picture of how we got overlooked. Teams that played their way in by winning a tourney shouldn't count as they could be a lower seed and have a more difficult road to the second weekend.

I watched the second half of BC/UNLV from Vegas. Huge home crowd for the Rebels. They are in for a major shock and change in atmosphere when they move from their huge, friendly arena to our tiny, raucous gym. A very nice advantage for us, but they will not be easy to beat.
5,500 at Thomas & Mack is a huge crowd? That was the announced attendance for BC-UNLV.

Walsh is a playground compared to playing games at Utah State, New Mexico and San Diego State.

5,500 at Thomas & Mack is a huge crowd? That was the announced attendance for BC-UNLV.

Walsh is a playground compared to playing games at Utah State, New Mexico and San Diego State.
I didn't realize it was only 5500. Sounded like a much bigger arena. My bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT