Daily News: Seton Hall at center of LGBT rights battle

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
As Derrick Gordon transfers, Seton Hall at center of LGBT rights battle

BY Michael O'keeffe

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

umass-gordon-basketball.jpg

Gerry Broome/ASSOCIATED PRESS

Derrick Gordon, the first openly gay player in Division I, transferred to Seton Hall over the weekend.

When it comes to homosexuality, Seton Hall apparently hates the sin but loves the sinner — especially if he can shoot from the top of the key.

The Roman Catholic university has found itself squarely in the middle of the ongoing debate over LGBT rights and marriage equality this week when Derrick Gordon, the first openly gay Division I men’s basketball player, announced over the weekend that he would transfer from UMass to Seton Hall.

Gordon’s announcement came just days after a priest claimed he lost his job as director of campus ministry because he posted his support of LGBT equality on Facebook.

“The fact that someone can lose their job for supporting equal rights is disturbing,” said Jeff Parshley, the co-founder of the NOH8 Campaign, founded in 2008 to promote LGBT equality. “It is hypocrisy and it is not fair.”

Rev. Warren Hall said on his Twitter account last week that he was fired from Seton Hall for expressing his support for NOH8 on Facebook.

“I’ve been fired from SHU for posting a pic on FB supporting LGBT ‘NO H8.’ I’m sorry it was met with this response,” Hall said on Twitter. “I’ll miss my work here.”

Gordon told NJ.com that he knew that Hall had claimed he had been fired because of his support of gay equality, but his decision to transfer to Seton Hall was based on basketball.

“All that other stuff is irrelevant to me right now,” he said.

Some gay activists have criticized Gordon for transferring to Seton Hall, Outsports editor Cyd Zeigler said, but he thinks Gordon made the right call. Playing ball at a Big East school will allow him to show the world that gay athletes belong in big-time sports.

“This gives him an opportunity to build a dialogue on these issues,” Zeigler said.

A spokesman for the Archdiocese of Newark, which governs Seton Hall, disputed Hall’s claim that he was fired from his campus-ministry job because of his support for gay rights. Instead, he will be transferred to another position.

“What the father said is inaccurate, and he needs to answer for that,” spokesman Jim Goodness said. “He is misleading you.”

In a statement emailed to the Daily News, Goodness said that Hall was not fired for advocating tolerance. But the church also teaches that marriage is a union between men and women, and the director of campus ministry needs to be someone who can articulate that position clearly.

Zeigler, however, said churches, universities and other large institutions often say one thing and do another.

“Every religious institution is full of hypocrisy,” Zeigler said. “They apply the Bible when and where they choose to target specific classes of people.”

The university, meanwhile, issued a statement saying it is a welcoming academic community with a diverse array of students, and Zeigler said that is undoubtedly true.

“There are plenty of LGBT students and athletes at schools that try to ban their existence,” he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...hall-center-lgbt-rights-war-article-1.2228787

The opening paragraph of the article is unfortunate and shows that the writer has either not done his homework or is interested only in grabbing attention. The school itself may be at blame, to a degree, but the Archdiocese has total control of the position that Father Hall previously occupied.

You want accuracy in the news??? Where have you been. Gotta fit a narrative....facts be damned

What is so inaccurate? It doesn't say SHU fired him, but that he lost his job. It says the Archdiocese doesn't agree with the accusation that the no H8 post got him fired. It quotes the Archdiocesan spokesman on why he really was fired in a calm, non-inflammatory way

The reality is that in today's world people would rather read stories about what a person , an institution, a government etc is doing wrong then what they're doing right and in order to do so they don't always report the facts accurately.

I also don't see any inaccuracies.

The relationship between the Archdiocese and SHU is such that any decision made by the Archdiocese regarding SHU is, in effect, supported by the SHU administration. Even if the people in those administrative roles don't agree, and wouldn't make the same decision themselves, the power to make those decisions for the university rests with the Archdiocese.

The idea that you can absolve SHU for the Father Hall mess and place blame only at the Archdiocese is misguided. As long as the Archdiocese has decision making power on campus they are in fact part of the SHU administration.

From what I'm hearing, it isn't the first time Fr. Hall poked a stick in the Archdiocese's cage. So there's that other side of the story that no one is interested in, and a gay rights activist fighting for respect gets to take a dig, in the NYDN, at the "hypocrisy."

What is so inaccurate? It doesn't say SHU fired him, but that he lost his job. It says the Archdiocese doesn't agree with the accusation that the no H8 post got him fired. It quotes the Archdiocesan spokesman on why he really was fired in a calm, non-inflammatory way

Cmon 75, it gives the impression that it was SHU's action. No mention of the Archdiocese until the bottom of the article.

Reactions: Doc 99
From what I'm hearing, it isn't the first time Fr. Hall poked a stick in the Archdiocese's cage. So there's that other side of the story that no one is interested in, and a gay rights activist fighting for respect gets to take a dig, in the NYDN, at the "hypocrisy."
Poking a stick is also saying what you believe in. And as far as him being a gay rights activist, I never heard of the man till this controversy, but as far as I know, his recent grievance was posting NO H8. Did he do more than that? That sentiment is not really inflammatory or outrageous, it is just being human. Don't be hating.

The article is inflammatory. There are two clearly different things going on that have one common denominator. But they are also mutually exclusive. One is an employee Diocese issue. The second is the new basketball player/student who is entering SHU has said he is gay. Related? Somewhat but not really. Its a poorly written article in my opinion that seems to go from one thing to another. SHU is hardly at the center of the LGBT battle. Their stand is clear and they are also welcoming of students. Two different issues IMO.

"Seton Hall apparently hates the sin but loves the sinner"

The writer of the article is not a LGBT activist. The above quoted sentence, whether true or not, is not proven by the actions of the Archdiocese. I also take exception to the fact that he calls Gordon a sinner (even though he is doing so from the school's perceived standpoint).

All of you who attended Seton Hall are now a part of Seton Hall. While the writer is not calling you homophobic, as a part of the University, you should take exception to those words.

Take exception to the writer or Seton Hall's actions? It seems as if the writer is just telling Daily News readers what's going on at Seton Hall. Some of you apparently think the media should to be a PR wing for Seton Hall, but that's not what journalism is for. Like it or not, the Warren Hall and Derrick Gordon stories have an obvious link. Don't blame the writer for tying the two together; blame Seton Hall for its confusing "stance" regarding these two bits of news.

Reactions: bobojcd
From what I'm hearing, it isn't the first time Fr. Hall poked a stick in the Archdiocese's cage. So there's that other side of the story that no one is interested in.

Until this came out I really knew nothing on the subject. But since then and talking to my sources I have been told exactly what Donnie notes above.

Is it accurate or covering your butt? I have no idea.

The article is inflammatory. There are two clearly different things going on that have one common denominator. But they are also mutually exclusive. One is an employee Diocese issue. The second is the new basketball player/student who is entering SHU has said he is gay. Related? Somewhat but not really. Its a poorly written article in my opinion that seems to go from one thing to another. SHU is hardly at the center of the LGBT battle. Their stand is clear and they are also welcoming of students. Two different issues IMO.

So you believe the timing of Father Hall being let go and the recruitment of Gordon is coincidence? I think that's naive.

IMO the Archdiocese is/was very, very unhappy with the recruitment of Gordon and fired Father Hall as a direct message to the university. I have no proof of this, I never will. I just don't believe in coincidences.

And as for SHU not being at the center of the LGBT battle, I'd say that every single Roman Catholic institution in this country that claims to be welcoming to LGBT persons is indeed at the center of the LGBT battle.

So you believe the timing of Father Hall being let go and the recruitment of Gordon is coincidence? I think that's naive.

IMO the Archdiocese is/was very, very unhappy with the recruitment of Gordon and fired Father Hall as a direct message to the university. I have no proof of this, I never will. I just don't believe in coincidences.

And as for SHU not being at the center of the LGBT battle, I'd say that every single Roman Catholic institution in this country that claims to be welcoming to LGBT persons is indeed at the center of the LGBT battle.
I am not one to stand up for the Archdiocese. I have gone on record that I do not like Meyers at all. With that said I believe they are not paying much attention to our basketball program and Father Hall has been a thorn in their side for some time and his comment was the straw so to speak. Could be a coincidence or could be related but I think you are giving the Archdiocese way too much credit. From what I have observed they are simply not that smart especially about the basketball program. Politics and the media is at the center of the LGBT battle not religious institutions that know where they stand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT