ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley, Zach Edey had heated exchange

How about when Hurley literally pushed his own in-bounds player in the back from out of bounds during a late-game situation?! Had never seen something like that before.

How about when Hurley literally pushed his own in-bounds player in the back from out of bounds during a late-game situation?! Had never seen something like that before.
And then complained when the ref called a TO because of it lol.

During the lead in to the break you saw him ask Spencer “did I touch you” or something like that.

What is somewhat interesting is that despite Danny’s lunacy, his team tends to stay relatively calm. At the onset of the game there was a drastic difference between the UConn approach and Purdue, who was very demonstrative with a lot of fist pumping and flexing going on. After Purdue went on a quick run to cut it to 32-30, there was a lot of celebrating when they headed to the bench. I thought to myself man they are poking the bear. Of course they never got closer than that the rest of the game.

What is somewhat interesting is that despite Danny’s lunacy, his team tends to stay relatively calm. At the onset of the game there was a drastic difference between the UConn approach and Purdue, who was very demonstrative with a lot of fist pumping and flexing going on. After Purdue went on a quick run to cut it to 32-30, there was a lot of celebrating when they headed to the bench. I thought to myself man they are poking the bear. Of course they never got closer than that the rest of the game.
People on the broadcast talked about how UConn never hurries or panics regardless of the situation. They always play their game and run their offense the way they intend. Very impressive

Also, Hurley should have gotten a tech for physically positioning his player while the clock was running. Surprised he did not

It's amazing how much crap today's refs take from coaches these days. Hurley is the poster boy but Cooley & McDermott are a close second as was Jay Wright.
Yes, agree but seems you may have a problem with Hurley based on previous posts, See Hurley wins everywhere. Jeez early on,even turned St Benedicts into a BB powerhouse and helped , I hope, resurrect a financially failing catholic school. I don't know. He's an alumni and took a lot of SH-t as a player who we watched from our nice seat at the meadowlands under a coach who worked the refs like the best of them. So Danny go for three and cheers to the big east.

Yesterday was the first time that I watched Edey play this season. I have to agree with Danny, Edey gets away with a lot of stuff. The pick in that video was clearly a moving pick. Edey seems to be a master of hooking the defender when attempting layups, and the refs don't seem to notice.

Edey may get drafted, but I don't see a future for him in the NBA with his lack of mobility.

Yesterday was the first time that I watched Edey play this season. I have to agree with Danny, Edey gets away with a lot of stuff. The pick in that video was clearly a moving pick. Edey seems to be a master of hooking the defender when attempting layups, and the refs don't seem to notice.

Edey may get drafted, but I don't see a future for him in the NBA with his lack of mobility.
He gets away with ducking in and pushing his left shoulder too. Surprised he didn’t get called for an offensive against Karaban late in the game. Had a couple of blocks/deflections but UConn had a lot of success going right at him.

Clingan is much more mobile than Edey and IMO has more upside as a pro both defensively and on offense. He has shown the ability to step out and take shot occasionally.
1000%. Why Clingan is working his way up draft boards.

Edey also was throwing elbows on almost every drive to the hoop.

ESPN mock draft has Clingan at #3 and Edey at #13. Mobility and upside is probably why Clingan is favored. That said, Edey is a very large human. I don't think I really appreciated how large until I saw him side-by-side with Donovan.

Reactions: HALL85
Edey also was throwing elbows on almost every drive to the hoop.

ESPN mock draft has Clingan at #3 and Edey at #13. Mobility and upside is probably why Clingan is favored. That said, Edey is a very large human. I don't think I really appreciated how large until I saw him side-by-side with Donovan.
I have been a huge Clingan fan and am not happy with his offensive progress. Edey is a post player. Has good post moves and go to shots. Clingan is not there. And while he is doing much better later in the season, he fouls too much. As I see it, Edey is far more dominant today.

With the way NBA looks at centers, no idea who projects to a better career. They might tell Kareem to work on his three and dribble drive a little. Hope for the best for both. If DC is going at 3 you gotta go but I think another year of college would help him. But if he leaves, after we beat Uconn in Nwk next winter, the committee will discount the game cause Clingan left lol

I have been a huge Clingan fan and am not happy with his offensive progress. Edey is a post player. Has good post moves and go to shots. Clingan is not there. And while he is doing much better later in the season, he fouls too much. As I see it, Edey is far more dominant today.

With the way NBA looks at centers, no idea who projects to a better career. They might tell Kareem to work on his three and dribble drive a little. Hope for the best for both. If DC is going at 3 you gotta go but I think another year of college would help him. But if he leaves, after we beat Uconn in Nwk next winter, the committee will discount the game cause Clingan left lol
Lots of mobile centers in the NBA that can shoot the three. Edey’s mobility on defense is a red flag. To me he’s a situational rotation player at best in the NBA. UConn guards went right at him.

Well, your beating us in Newark has kind of become a tradition, hasn't it?

I am, obviously, very interested in seeing what we look like next season. We likely lose Castle, Clingan and definitely lose Newton. We add freshmen Isaiah Abraham and Ahmad Nowell. There is rumored to be Connecticut interest in a bunch of players in the portal, including a couple of seven footers. We will definitely look different. It's probably too much to expect lightning to strike twice (well, three times really) and have us as a top team again next year. Still, there are a lot of nice pieces coming back.

Well, your beating us in Newark has kind of become a tradition, hasn't it?

I am, obviously, very interested in seeing what we look like next season. We likely lose Castle, Clingan and definitely lose Newton. We add freshmen Isaiah Abraham and Ahmad Nowell. There is rumored to be Connecticut interest in a bunch of players in the portal, including a couple of seven footers. We will definitely look different. It's probably too much to expect lightning to strike twice (well, three times really) and have us as a top team again next year. Still, there are a lot of nice pieces coming back.
Until proven otherwise, my working assumption is they are going to kill it in the portal and be near the top of the sport against next season, as hard as it is to maintain that level of upper, upper level sustained success.

Reactions: CL82 and chickenbox
Danny being Danny. What a job he’s done.
Great job of officiating all night. Danny did what Danny is paid to do. He's trying to work the refs, that's part of the gig. Nobody was talking to Edey so why he had to say something I don't understand. Walk away and smile as the refs were letting him be physical.

Reactions: CL82 and HALL85
There was no reason for Hurley to be that far on the court.

Working the refs is one thing. Verbally abusing them with constant profanity is over the top & should not be tolerated no matter how successful the coach is.

There was no reason for Hurley to be that far on the court.

Working the refs is one thing. Verbally abusing them with constant profanity is over the top & should not be tolerated no matter how successful the coach is.
It was a timeout? You see coaches go that far out all of the time. It's pretty standard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT