ADVERTISEMENT

Derrick Gordon to SH

We now have 3 guards who can't shoot. Every team will be keeping our guards out of the lane and forcing them to outside jumpers.

I think people are way too excited about Gordon because everyone needs to fit in. Gordon being an openly gay player does not make up for his inability to shoot.

I see another underwhelming year for our pirates. Fire coach clapper.

If he was such a big addition he would of been scooped up well before May 18.

Gordon has played in two NCAA Tournaments which is two more than the rest of the team. He is a defensive stopper who takes on the other teams best guard/wing. I don't think we have another player who fills that need.

Tom K

Watch the video from the City of Palms Tournament, St Pat's won the tournament and Derrick Gordon and Michael Kid Gilchrist led the team- Derrick Gordon finished as the 2nd leading scorer in the whole tournament, Austin Rivers was 1st. ESPN list's the top 15 available transfers and Derrick Gordon was 9th on the list, with Eli Carter 12th. According to the 247 site, Derrick Gordon had a 95 rating which was 50th in the country and 3rd in NJ, with Gilchrist 1st - 100 rating and Ross 2nd with a 95 rating for the 2011 class. Derrick Gordon is a very talented basketball player who is a great defender and will help Seton Hall to win games.

Reactions: mountain25
Gordon has played in two NCAA Tournaments which is two more than the rest of the team. He is a defensive stopper who takes on the other teams best guard/wing. I don't think we have another player who fills that need.

Tom K
Come on. So we have a need for one dimensional player? Great defender but can't hit a shot? This is not about Gordon. On a well balanced team Gordon would be a welcomed addition. On this team where there are glaring weaknesses, Gordon doesn't really help. Sure he is a body but so what. And the fact that he played on two Tournament teams is irrelevant. This team won't be going to the NIT never mind the NCAA Tournament.

Let's wait for games to be played before you bash players ability. Gibbs and Sina were average or below average defenders, so we have an upgrade in that department. IMO, carter was better on offense and also a great on defense , but with who is available I'm grilled to have Gordon.

His sexual orientation doesnt matter, but if we have another Sina situation happen it could set ourselves up for an even bigger disaster.

Gordon reminds me a lot of Eniel Poynice that transferred here from Ole Miss when Gonzo was here. Gordon is probably a better offensive player then him. Gordon will be good on the defensive end of the court. He brings depth but don't think he is a game changer at all. I'm not sure how Willard will use him. We shall see. We really needed a true PG. I still think we are going to get exposed there especially in the league.

The biggest issue I have is how the locker room handles all of this. You can tell me until the cows come home that everybody is on board and the extra media coverage doesn't bother the team (and yes there is going to be more media covering Gordon). I don't buy it. We also heard how rosy this locker room was last year from this head coach.

I have no idea who is leaving or who is going to be ineligible for this season. I just hope it isn't Singh.

Last edited:
Won't win more than 4 games in Big East. Who will be the shooter? Whitehead will have the ball in his hands and will force more shots. Carrington can't shoot and Derrick Gordon might as well be Shaquille o'neal from 3 point line.Losing Gibbs and gaining Gotdon? Not even close!

agreed. we're toast next season. Not enough talent and potentially even weaker down low than last season. Willard sucks so much for letting all this happen. FIRE WILLARD ALREADY!!!

What's interesting is he shot 94 3's as a freshman at Western Kentucky (Only made 27% of them) Then shot a combined 16 in his 2 years at Umass. He a decent FT stroke 74% so I don't think it's an issue that he cannot shoot at all more just a role he was asked to play at Umass. I think this is a good addition for Seton Hall. + defender. He certainly cannot hurt.

Proud of SHU for stepping up and not shying away from his sexual orientation which is none of our business. The important thing is how he conducts himself on and off the court and moving forward we'll see the answer in the positive.
EXACTLY!

I disagree. Gordon is a quality pick up and a superior defender. I do think our team will be good next year. We are talented but lacked experience last season. We were Freshmen oriented last season and with a years experience & maturity I expect us to make a run at a NCAA tournament bid.

Tom K
Until they collapse in late January. History always repeats itself until KW.

No way KW will ever have an NCAA team at SHU. His players do whatever the hell they want to do and he can't bench them because he has no replacements. 6th season and he has not built a foundation.

10 months and he'll be gone.

Come on. So we have a need for one dimensional player? Great defender but can't hit a shot? This is not about Gordon. On a well balanced team Gordon would be a welcomed addition. On this team where there are glaring weaknesses, Gordon doesn't really help. Sure he is a body but so what. And the fact that he played on two Tournament teams is irrelevant. This team won't be going to the NIT never mind the NCAA Tournament.
He's not one dimensional. The game is more than just playing D and shooting from distance.

Gordon is a tough nosed kid who will add energy on the court and order in the locker room. He's a fierce rebounder, especially as a 2G. He also gets to the tin off the dribble and in the open court off steals.

His weakness is of course his jumper which is unfortunate because outside shooting is at a premium in college BB. But at this late stage you are not getting a perfect guard with immediate eligibility.

All in all this is a very good get at this point in the game. Doesn't make up for Gibbs. But to anyone saying this doesn't help, I say you're so anti Willard that you refuse to give the program any credit when something positive happens.

And rest assured this get for one year is a positive.

We have a good young nucleus for next year, this pickup helps. The fire Willard posters need to get a life at this point, enough already...

We were getting him unless something out of the ordinary happened. His dad really wanted this and helped big time.

Gordon's family thought SHU was a perfect destination for their son and with Sha leading the way it happened.

Gordon is not Sterling Gibbs. He won't provide the offense but on the other side of the ball he'll become a defensive stopper at the 1 & 2 and in certain situations the 3 as well.

Proud of SHU for stepping up and not shying away from his sexual orientation which is none of our business. The important thing is how he conducts himself on and off the court and moving forward we'll see the answer in the positive.

Well done Sha and welcome Derrick!!!!!!!!
Welcome Derrick.Thrilled that you selected the Hall and look forward to all that you will bring to this team.

Just a steady, high bball IQ PG and a dominant 7 footer to complement Delgado away from being an unstoppable power in the Big East.

If Gordon was our 4th g, wouldn't be bad. No pg on the roster is a hugggge issue.

$100 we lead the conf in turnovers next year, by a large margin.

Well, we better learn how to get to the rim , get fouled and make free throws. What happens to Willard"s ideas on making more threes than the opponent? That's now out the window. A new way to play for Seton Hall. And now after five years he says we'll stress defense. Holly cow , since when do you win without stressing defense??

If Gordon was our 4th g, wouldn't be bad. No pg on the roster is a hugggge issue.

$100 we lead the conf in turnovers next year, by a large margin.
Decent point. But we might also lead the league in takeaways as well.

Well, we better learn how to get to the rim , get fouled and make free throws. What happens to Willard"s ideas on making more threes than the opponent? That's now out the window. A new way to play for Seton Hall. And now after five years he says we'll stress defense. Holly cow , since when do you win without stressing defense??
+1.

So what we know after 5 years of the Willard regime is that he is a terrible game coach and has a hard time making any adjustments that impact the outcome of a game. Now the type of offense he is going to be able to run is one he has not been preaching, yet many posters have confidence in what the on court results will be for next year just because the team may or may not be better defensively?

I really and truly hope I am forced to eat serious crow. I'm just not seeing it. The Hall will need everything to break their way next year, especially with injuries as there is a serious lack of depth. Living in the DC area I equate what is going on to what happens almost every year with the Redskins and the local fan base. In the spring/summer, the locals get so whipped up with FA acquisitions and the draft results that they see an NFC East championship the next year, only to have the season implode once again and usually finish 6-10 (or much worse). I for one have stopped looking at everything in the off season through Pirate Blue glasses as I refuse to be fooled again.

I agree that at this stage of the game, Gordon appears to be a solid get. Unless Nzei and Anderson just go nuts and play off the charts for The Hall next year, I just don't see this squad fighting for an NCAA berth. I really do hope/pray I am wrong, but I won't be buying in even with any early success until mid-February...

Now that the roster is set, there are four things as I see it that will determine the teams success:

1) Can the Freshmen grow up quickly and lead?
They better, since at least 80% of the offense is going to come through Whitehead, Delgado, Carrington and Desi and they will all be playing 30-35 mpg. We will swim or sink with these four players. Can they score enough and reduce the turnovers that were awful last year.

2) Can the pieces/parts of recruits and transfers contribute and play quality minutes?
Our bench has not been good defensively (nor were the starters). This group needs to play defense (individual and team), rebound and play above their rankings and expectations.

3) Can Willard coach this team?
X's and O's...BS; stop with the excuses. Motivate and lead; Just win AND shut up.

4) Can Willard manage the locker room?
What happens when the first sign of adversity hits which we know will happen. Will it be the implosions we have witnessed or is this a new day?

Welcome to Derrick Gordon!

As far as the roster and managing it, Gordon has a lot of intangibles that should be able to help. I just have zero confidence the coach can work a team in the right way. So until I see it, I'm not confident.

Welcome to Derrick Gordon!

As far as the roster and managing it, Gordon has a lot of intangibles that should be able to help. I just have zero confidence the coach can work a team in the right way. So until I see it, I'm not confident.
I agree...I have infinitely more confidence the first two things are going to happen versus the last two.

I agree...I have infinitely more confidence the first two things are going to happen versus the last two.

The players need to somehow mature together and set the tone over Willard's head.

Gordon reminds me a lot of Eniel Poynice that transferred here from Ole Miss when Gonzo was here. Gordon is probably a better offensive player then him. Gordon will be good on the defensive end of the court. He brings depth but don't think he is a game changer at all.

I agree with this, Gordon has some obvious strengths and some obvious weaknesses.

I don't agree about the locker room, Gordon is immensely likable and has been through so much in his life, the players will gravitate towards him. Whitehead could and will benefit from Gordon even being a bit of a mentor to him.

Reactions: SHUSource
Our team now has a year experience and now the ball is I.W. hand for most of the time. Adding defense can only help.
Is it enough to take us over the hump?..maybe. Desi is a major factor in the equation as well as injuries... can't afford to lose any one.

Agreed. Let's put this situation to bed.

Posting the same stuff over and over serves no purpose. From either side.

Agreed re the negative posts. I was upset as anyone about how this past season ended, and about the fact that we didnt make a change.
But, we DIDNT make a change....move on.

Lets root for the team, and things will take care of themselves...they always do.

Welcome Gordon to SHU...I hope your time here is enjoyable, and successful! We should all have the courage that you have displayed.....

Not sure what happened with that post and it won't let me edit or delete it...what I was trying to say was:

1) Can the Freshmen grow up quickly and lead?
They better, since at least 80% of the offense is going to come through Whitehead, Delgado, Carrington and Desi and they will all be playing 30-35 mpg. We will swim or sink with these four players. Can they score enough and reduce the turnovers that were awful last year.

One thing that doesn't get talked about much is that IW missed a big chunk of the season and who knows if he was even close to 100% when he came back. He obviously couldn't have been in optimal playing condition. That could have contributed to some of his struggles.

4) Can Willard manage the locker room?
What happens when the first sign of adversity hits which we know will happen. Will it be the implosions we have witnessed or is this a new day?

I'm hoping last season was the perfect (imperfect?) storm of the Gibbs/ Sina camps and the freshman. Doesn't seem to be that type of dynamic this year, but who knows.

Lets stop thinking of him as a typical 2G, he is a wing who will give us great D and will go to the hoop as a slasher. our outside shooting will be ok with IW and KC and with the addition of Singh who is a very good outside shooter, I think we will be ok.

Our outside shooting will not be ok with IW and KC. Singh is a gunner too. If we can get looks for soffer maybe he has a chance to make 1 or two a game?? Losing 3 pt guys like gibbs and sina is absolutely fatal in willards offense that only relies on guys running around for 30 seconds and shooting a 3.

This team will be the worst outside shooting team in the conference. Carrington. Whitehead and Delgado will all hunt for their shots next year, Williard sold them a dream of becoming pros and one and dones. Whitehead as a PG will be laughable! Dribbles way too high and when closely guarded gets very shaky with the ball. Gibbs and sina were the only threats that this team had. They will not win more than 4 games in the Big east next year. Here's their wins>split with Creighton(not guaranteed), split with with St. John's(not guaranteed), Depaul(split) and maybe Marquette.
Every team gets better next year from top to bottom with the exception of St. John's. Please someone explain to me where we would win 8-9 games. Last year pressure was off Whitehead with Gibbs having a monster season. Let's see how he handles being the man! Bad shots. volume shooting and turnover prone. Not sold on this team!

Guess we will have to wait until the basketball season starts, but I am confident that this group of players will win games on the court. ( NCAA bound! )

Our outside shooting will not be ok with IW and KC. Singh is a gunner too. If we can get looks for soffer maybe he has a chance to make 1 or two a game?? Losing 3 pt guys like gibbs and sina is absolutely fatal in willards offense that only relies on guys running around for 30 seconds and shooting a 3.

Sina shot 32% from 3 last year. 29% in conference play. I know he was better the year before, and is probably a better shooter than that, but IW will be an improvement on that #.

Shooting is one of the biggest things a player who puts the work in can improve pretty quickly. Just look at Gibbs this year. Hopefully KC is shooting 100 3's a day this summer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT