Did A-Rod get snubbed?

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003

BY John Harper

All-Star Game snub is shot of reality for Yankees' Alex Rodriguez
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

478128992.jpg
Jim McIsaac/Getty Images

Alex Rodriguez is denied a chance to play in the All-Star Game by his peers and coaches as his season of forgiveness gets a reality check.
There had to be some pushback eventually on this Alex Rodriguez Redemption Tour, otherwise he was on his way to riding shotgun with Santa Claus come Christmas Eve.

On Monday night it came in the form of All-Star rejection.

Nope, for all of the stature A-Rod has regained in baseball this season with his bat and his contrite demeanor, his peers wouldn't let him slip past the velvet rope to mingle with the best of the best, as he once did every summer.

Does that have anything to do with the many bridges A-Rod torched when he was at war with every facet of Major League Baseball — including the Players Association — in 2013 while trying in vain to avoid a PED suspension?

It’s a fair question, though one to which there is no obvious answer.

A-Rod had the numbers to warrant a DH spot on the AL All-Star team, but after the fans voted Nelson Cruz as the starter, the Yankee star was not named among the reserves that are chosen by player vote and manager Ned Yost’s preference.

Prince Fielder earned the back-up DH nod, and it’s tough to argue with his selection, considering that he’s hitting .347 with 13 home runs, 50 RBI and a .943 OPS.

Had Yost somehow finagled Kendrys Morales, his Royals DH, onto the team, then you could have made the case that A-Rod got snubbed. But Fielder certainly was deserving.

23253881.jpg

In truth, Brett Gardner is the Yankee who had a right to feel he got jobbed. He may still get voted in as one of the five Final Vote candidates, though Royals fans are surely trying to crash the Internet, already voting for Mike Moustakas to get still another K.C. player in the game.

Gardner is clearly having an All-Star season, and in many ways he has become the heart and soul of these Yankees, his hustle and aggressiveness setting a tone at the top of the lineup for a team that has exceeded expectations so far.

If nothing else, he’s surely having a better season than Alex Gordon, the starting left fielder. But Royals fans turned this All-Star Game into a referendum on whether the system needs to be changed as they stuffed ballot boxes, figuratively anyway, so Gordon got the nod.

Mark Teixeira, meanwhile, made the reserve team, and clearly he’s deserving, having as much of a comeback season as A-Rod, just for different reasons.

We all chuckled when Teixeira laid out the details of his gluten-free “no-fun diet”' in spring training as his latest attempt to ward off age and injury, but after two years of wrist problems, the Yankee first baseman is making good on Brian Cashman’s prediction of a big bounce-back season.

As for A-Rod, Yost made the case on the ESPN All-Star selection show that much discussion went into his candidacy, but ultimately the need for position players outweighed whatever desire there was to include him.

“We wanted to try to find a way to get Alex Rodriguez on there,” Yost said. “We couldn’t.”

How hard they tried is anybody’s guess. But at least for entertainment purposes, it’s too bad they couldn’t.

yankees-marlins.jpg
Corey Sipkin/New York Daily News

A-Rod in the All-Star Game would have at least added some sizzle to it.

A-Rod would have added some sizzle to an event that remains mostly a spectacle, no matter how determined MLB is to cling to this silly idea that the game should decide home-field advantage in the World Series.

It’s not likely that a pitcher would have thrown A-Rod the “pipe-shot” that Adam Wainwright served up for Derek Jeter last year.

Nor would you think someone might pull a Ryan Dempster and drill him on such a big stage as some sort of statement on behalf of the union members who were included in the suit Rodriguez temporarily brought against the Players Association — at least until he seemed to come to his senses.

But with A-Rod you never know.

On the surface, at least, all seems to have been forgiven this year as A-Rod has made his return from his 2014 suspension. He has long since won over Yankee fans with his rather stunning offensive production, to the point that he was practically given the Jeter treatment, curtain call and all, when he hit a home run for his 3,000th hit.

And while he was never the outcast in the Yankee clubhouse he was sometimes portrayed as, all indications are that he is admired now more than ever by teammates for his work ethic, his superstar status and his singular talk of winning as a team.

He has made peace with MLB headquarters and, most shockingly, the Yankee brass that desperately wanted him gone for good after all the animosity of two years ago. Indeed, Hal Steinbrenner went the extra mile to make a deal to get his 3,000th hit ball back from a fan.

Everybody loves A-Rod? Well, not enough to give him a Jeter-like All-Star sendoff, even with a deserving resume. Perhaps forgiveness only goes so far.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...iguez-receives-shot-reality-article-1.2283547

Actually I think it's a very relevant question. It show if his fellow players and BB officials are buying the 'new Alex' as much as the NY fans are.

With his production it's not surprising that Yankee fans are buying it. But clearly most others have not forgotten his scorched earth policy as regards the game of baseball.

And another thing, if the question wasn't relevant it would not be the dominant topic on ESPN last night and this morning.

ESPN??? lol
This weekend the only headlines they ran on The Greenbrier were in Tiger Woods, who barely made the cut against a field of no-names, and then finished 40th never in any contention.

He is having an All Star level year but so are the two who got picked. The guy who got snubbed was the Mets Familia.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
ESPN??? lol
This weekend the only headlines they ran on The Greenbrier were in Tiger Woods, who barely made the cut against a field of no-names, and then finished 40th never in any contention.
The topic was also broached strongly by Fox and SNY last night. And it's now a talking point on many call in shows throughout the nation.

Love him or hate him the question is a valid one.

My opinion. His numbers say he belongs but his past actions say no.

Reactions: HallLine69
There was no reason this weekend for ESPN to talk about ARod getting snubbed. He didn't get snubbed until yesterday.

Definitely a valid question. Prince Fielder, who got Arod's spot, has three fewer HRs, three more RBIs, an average .63 higher and an OPS 40 points higher. So Arods is deserving, and I wish he got picked, but he didn't get screwed.

And FWIW I agree with Yost's reasoning for not choosing ARod. But in my gut I believe the words were only an excuse for not picking him.

Rodriquez through his vile actions last year has earned whatever hate that comes his way.
A few months of retribution doesn't eliminate a decade of deceit and lies.

I still don't understand why they don't award home field advantage to whichever league does the best in terms of record versus the other in inter-league games. That way every inter-league game means something and it carries much more weight that a meaningless All Star game.

I am a Mets fan and true Yankee hater (aspecially ARod), but I agree with some of the posts. A-Rod had the stats YTD to make it onto the roster, but in no way was he a snub imo.

I still don't understand why they don't award home field advantage to whichever league does the best in terms of record versus the other in inter-league games. That way every inter-league game means something and it carries much more weight that a meaningless All Star game.

I am a Mets fan and true Yankee hater (aspecially ARod), but I agree with some of the posts. A-Rod had the stats YTD to make it onto the roster, but in no way was he a snub imo.
Now that there is continual inter-league play throughout the season, the schedules are more balanced than ever and it's logical to award home field to the best record of the two teams that qualify for the World Series. Why home field is still being attached to the All Star game result is beyond me. Such an overreaction to a tie game that was an anomaly.

FWIW....

The Yankees’ first half proved far more enjoyable than many (including the hack writing this column) anticipated, and for that, A-Rod deserves a healthy share of the credit. He ranks among the league leaders in on-base percentage (.390, sixth), on-base plus slugging (.902, eighth) and OPS-plus (149, 8th).

Consider that no other player ranking in the top 10 in any of those categories — not all, but any — failed to make the club...........

http://nypost.com/2015/07/06/the-all-star-game-not-a-rod-is-biggest-loser-for-snubbing/

Every All - Star team always raises questions about players who many feel should be on it and players who are on it that many feel shouldn't be and this year is no exception. I personally never thought A-Rod would be selected by the fans, the players or the manager because of his well - documented problems and his not being selected is , I think, a fair result of those issues.

FWIW....

The Yankees’ first half proved far more enjoyable than many (including the hack writing this column) anticipated, and for that, A-Rod deserves a healthy share of the credit. He ranks among the league leaders in on-base percentage (.390, sixth), on-base plus slugging (.902, eighth) and OPS-plus (149, 8th).

Consider that no other player ranking in the top 10 in any of those categories — not all, but any — failed to make the club...........

http://nypost.com/2015/07/06/the-all-star-game-not-a-rod-is-biggest-loser-for-snubbing/
Arod can only play DH. One guy got elected DH and Fielder has had a better season than Arod. Can they carry more than two DHs? I wish Arod made it. But the guy with the better half season was selected instead. Average - .347 vs.284; OBP .413 vs .390; Slugging % .530 vs .513; OPS .943 vs .903 - Fielder ahead in each category

I don't care whether a-rod is an all-star or not. The voters are idiots and the all-star game means nothing.
Agree...the fan voting has created opportunities to subvert the process with ballot stuffing and social media waves in cities that incite it. I don't see how you can get wound up about who gets selected in the first place....A-Rod is probably paying the price for his lying and arrogance, but I repeat, "Who cares?" or should I say "I don't really care"

Reactions: Pirate6711
The fans have been voting for the all star game since 1970 and while there are always mistakes, they do an ok job of selection overall. Even this year, with Royals fans "stuffing the ballot box" it worked out fine. The top four vote getters were Donaldson, Harper, Trout and Cabrera. It's a fun thing and I plead guilty for voting 35 times for Wilmer Flores. I also voted for Gardner in the last man in poll. I think he got screwed. ARod lost out to Fielder. I would not say he got screwed.

I remember Mantle and Mays getting picked for the team when they sucked due to their legacies. Numbers-wise, Arod has had a better career than those two. I'd say he got screwed. Hopefully it didn't cost him any bonus money :)

ARod is essentially getting penalized for his years of lying and denying. I think it's justified that he gets snubbed.

The real unfortunate thing here is that assuming the guy is doing all of this clean, why the hell did he even bother doing PEDs in the first place? Sure, it's mostly about "since everyone else is doing them, I need to stay competitive and do them as well". But the guy's performance this year just proves how great of a hitter he is and that the PEDs were really unnecessary.

Hopefully a lesson learned somewhere/somehow for someone.

Reactions: HallLine69
I remember Mantle and Mays getting picked for the team when they sucked due to their legacies. Numbers-wise, Arod has had a better career than those two. I'd say he got screwed. Hopefully it didn't cost him any bonus money :)

Bingo! It's an All-Star tradition to pick players with Hall of Fame credentials to play in the All Star Game, especially when they are having a good year. A-Rod used steroids, but so do a lot of the players who were were chosen but didn't have the misfortune of having an informer in their clubhouse. However, as a Yankee fan, I'm not that upset because I understand that he's being punished for prior misdeeds.

A-Rod IMO was snubbed not because of the steroids, but because of his behavior; steadfastly denying it and then attacking people who accused him. If he just admitted it initially and took his medicine, I think the fans and game would be treating him a lot differently.

Impossible to separate the baggage that comes with A-Rod. Would be hard to believe anyone in MLB wants him to be a storyline at the ASG.

If the circumstances were the inverse - someone of his stature overcoming circumstances other than PED's - you can bet they'd push him in because it'd be a compelling story.

BTW, as a lifelong Yankee fan, is there a more boring team in the league? Of course still watching and rooting and hopefully there's a pennant race, but it has been a long, long time since they were this reliant on aging imported veterans. Would like to see more of the kids like Refsynder and Judge. At the moment they have one homegrown positional regular, All-Star Brett Gardner.

I'm a Yankees fan and have found it difficult to watch any regular season baseball game beyond a stretch of maybe an inning or two. This year's team though has quite a big of intrigue IMO. Watching ARod somewhat redeem himself this year along with just a solid group of ball players has my interest right now. It will be all of a question as to how the starting pitching holds up the rest of the way.

Should be interesting.

I'm a Yankees fan and have found it difficult to watch any regular season baseball game beyond a stretch of maybe an inning or two. This year's team though has quite a big of intrigue IMO. Watching ARod somewhat redeem himself this year along with just a solid group of ball players has my interest right now. It will be all of a question as to how the starting pitching holds up the rest of the way.

Should be interesting.
Rodriquez is an enigma. He is really liked by his teammates. In fact McCann recently called him the best teammate on the Yankees. And one of their prize minor leaguers, I think it was Judge, noted that no Yankee treated the young players in spring training better than ARod did.

This is not an act, Rodriquez has always done this. Like I said, he's an enigma.

The A-Rod story has been fascinating, that's for sure. You can see a big difference in him, humbled by losing baseball for as long as he did.

The guy hit another clutch HR last night, the game-winner in the 8th inning.

He's now at .281/.384/.525 this year with 19 HR and 52 RBI in 83 games. That's a .904 OPS, his best since 2009. And he'll be 40 this month.

The time missed in 2013 and 2014 seems to have helped.

ADVERTISEMENT