ADVERTISEMENT

Does.....

Our guards and forwards like going fast, so it won't be a big deal. But against teams that have 5 guys who can shoot from anywhere (like Duke or UK) it will make it more difficult for the underdog to maintain a lead.

hurts.....our perimeter defense was abysmal down the stretch last season. Now opponents get more possessions. That has to be fixed ASAP.

I tend to agree that our half court offense looked so stagnant at times last year, we would be better off in run and gun and with a pressing D.

Reactions: shupat08
Depends.

On offense I think it hurts us. More teams are going to use token pressure in the backcourt to take time off the clock and then fall back into a tight zone.

Since we don't have great outside shooting and since our offense has struggled, particularity with the ridiculous 3 man weave used Willard is going to have to find a way to score. Not a strong point of his to date.

On defense I think it helps. We too will use token pressure in the backcourt to whittle away the shot clock then most probably fall back into a zone.

Since Willard has stated that defense is going to be a priority for him this season the shorten shot clock will help. That and the fact that he has a strong nucleus of defensive players. If we can control our defensive boards I really like what we can do on this side of the court.

A huge weakness of Willard is his ability to adjust. Going to 30 seconds is a big adjustment where good coaching will make a difference especially initially. Good coaches take advantage of bad coaches when there is a change...don't like our chances here.

Depends.

On offense I think it hurts us. More teams are going to use token pressure in the backcourt to take time off the clock and then fall back into a tight zone.

Since we don't have great outside shooting and since our offense has struggled, particularity with the ridiculous 3 man weave used Willard is going to have to find a way to score. Not a strong point of his to date.

On defense I think it helps. We too will use token pressure in the backcourt to whittle away the shot clock then most probably fall back into a zone.

Since Willard has stated that defense is going to be a priority for him this season the shorten shot clock will help. That and the fact that he has a strong nucleus of defensive players. If we can control our defensive boards I really like what we can do on this side of the court.

I think it will help offensively especially because it will limit that dumb weave Willard uses on 75% of possessions. It will encourage dribble drive penetration which the guard with take it to the hoop, dump it down to Delgado or kick it out for the three. This keeps it simple and at least our guards can penetrate.

Reactions: SHUMikechine
Good coaches and players will adapt. We will see if SHU has good coaches and players.

the proposed 30 second shot clock help or hurt Seton Hall?

It will not have any effect on Seton Hall.

Nationally, it may speed up the game a bit but good coaches find a way to keep their style of play in tact. I think the media attention this rule change is receiving is too much given little impact it will have. The real impact from the rule changes is the reduction of one timeout per team and the emphasis on reducing "physical play." I have a great fear that we'll see more foul fests (like we saw at the start of 2013-14) and the game will be painfully slow because of it. The freedom of movement initiative (which I hate) will counteract any positive pace changes from the reduction of timeouts and the shortening of the shot clock.

Who knows. If KW has one guard dribble until the last 7 seven seconds and then take the Kamikaze Fling It Up and Hope Shot it won't matter.

But maybe we'll start running like our women do. That'll give us more shots and maybe more points.

Reactions: SHUMikechine
I think it helps. A shorter shot clock takes away some of the advantage of a superior coach and let's talent shine through.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT