ADVERTISEMENT

Eric Cobb at SHU visit per Zags

Seton75

Beyond All Universe
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2001
Kansas St decommit, 6'8 PF, so says Zags...

"6-8 Kansas State decommit Eric Cobb is currently visiting Seton Hall, source tells @SNYtv. VCU & South Carolina also in mix."

He has mixed rankings with ESPN giving him a rating of 80 and as a 4 star (desi rated 79 by espn and a 3 star. M. Carter 76 and a 3 star).
It looks like scout and rivals don't have a ranking for him and 247 has him ranked 3 star and 263rd.
Committed to Kstate. VCU, SC, and Old Dominion have offered since Monday. Arkansas, Alabama, Miss. St. UCF, and George Mason offered the 1st go around.

He fills a need, and if the Kasongo ship has sailed, he seems like a great option. I hope they get him.

This is no yawn. This kid can play and he fills a gaping hole for us. He has a great opportunity here. I can only hope he takes advantage of it. Walking into a starting spot on a Big East team doesn't come along every day.

It would be better if Seton Hall established relationships with more highly regarded players . Other Big East coaches are doing this, why not Willard? It seems as if KW would rather try for players that are somewhat easier to get, rather than go toe-to-toe with big-boy programs they way Georgetown, Providence, Marquette, etc. are doing.

SPK There are many recruiting guy's that disagree with your opinion. Look at ESPN rankings. Something interesting for you to research, look at some of the recruiting rankings from the past 7 yrs (top 100 lists) - there are some recruits that were ranked #50-# 60 in the nation who are now studs in the NBA and there are many top 30 players that never made an NBA roster. Rankings are far from an exact science, many factors determine how good players will be in college.

The composite ranking comes from various sources including 247 which have him at 263rd, ESPN which has him at a rating of 80 (rated between alex owens and matt heldt) which are top 125. Scout and Rivals don't have a ranking for him, which in 247's composite ranking would bring down his ranking.

If 247's ranking, 263rd, or the composite ranking, 337, are more realistic of his talent then yeah it doesn't fill a need.
ESPN's ranking and the high major ships that he's being offered give me hope that he could help a little next year and could be a solid 4 year player.

ESPN

Strengths:

Cobb is a big bodied, space eater in the post. He is a true center who handles the ball well for his size. He can pass it out of the post with accuracy. He scores on the low block with good footwork. His go-to moves are a jump hook and up-and-under and he can finish with either hand. He has also shown the ability to knock down face up jumpers and the occasional 3-pointer with time and space. He's also a physical rebounder.

Weaknesses:
Cobb needs to continue to get in better physical shape in order to win the battles down low at the next level. He must also continue to develop his shot and improve his form and release.

Bottom Line:
Overall, Cobb is a true post-player with great size and scoring ability down low. He has the potential to be a go-to guys for Kansas State down the road.

ESPN

Strengths:

Cobb is a big bodied, space eater in the post. He is a true center who handles the ball well for his size. He can pass it out of the post with accuracy. He scores on the low block with good footwork. His go-to moves are a jump hook and up-and-under and he can finish with either hand. He has also shown the ability to knock down face up jumpers and the occasional 3-pointer with time and space. He's also a physical rebounder.

Weaknesses:
Cobb needs to continue to get in better physical shape in order to win the battles down low at the next level. He must also continue to develop his shot and improve his form and release.

Bottom Line:
Overall, Cobb is a true post-player with great size and scoring ability down low. He has the potential to be a go-to guys for Kansas State down the road.

Given all the uncertainty surrounding our program and the potential lame duck status of its head coach, our expectations as to the type of recruit we could sign for this year should be tempered as I don't see any high ranked HS player or any quality transfer seriously looking to come here.

SPK There are many recruiting guy's that disagree with your opinion. Look at ESPN rankings. Something interesting for you to research, look at some of the recruiting rankings from the past 7 yrs (top 100 lists) - there are some recruits that were ranked #50-# 60 in the nation who are now studs in the NBA and there are many top 30 players that never made an NBA roster. Rankings are far from an exact science, many factors determine how good players will be in college.

LOL, you crowed over here about a supposed top 100 ranking for Singh but now this????

You are correct about the rankings not being an exact science (or any science for that matter) but the fact is that there is a MUCH greater chance to be better if you are ranked higher than it is if you are lower ranked. You know who makes statements like "Rankings are far from an exact science, many factors determine how good players will be in college" ? Fans of teams consistently getting low ranked recruits.

LOL, you crowed over here about a supposed top 100 ranking for Singh but now this????

You are correct about the rankings not being an exact science (or any science for that matter) but the fact is that there is a MUCH greater chance to be better if you are ranked higher than it is if you are lower ranked. You know who makes statements like "Rankings are far from an exact science, many factors determine how good players will be in college" ? Fans of teams consistently getting low ranked recruits.
How many times are we talking about a guy that could develop by senior year, be a contributor here or there, high motor, etc... problem is that its finr here or there but we have 9+ guys like that

How many former SHU players would you have to play pick up games with to become a recruiting expert? I've played with a few at the Madison Y back in the day. Does that make me more qualified in roster analysis? If so, we should really try and get tha Diello kid!

This debate about the rankings of players has been going on since this Board first started, and even before that when Konchalski's report was considered the " Bible" for rating recruits . While you can always point to players who were not highly ranked who became really good college players and highly ranked HS players who never came close to living up to their hype the fact is that the teams that are able to build a roster of the higher ranked players are , as a rule , far more successful then teams with lower ranked players, but there are always exceptions to that rule but they are rare. If this team is to get better it needs to bring in the better talent not players that you hope can develop.

Some years ago, I posted about David Laury from East Orange and said he was someone we should possibly be recruiting. He was ranked very low, if at all. It took him a while to develop, but he turned into an excellent college player. Last year for Iona he posted these numbers:
19.8 ppg. 9.7 rpg 2.8 apg.

That kid from Wisconsin, Kaminski (sp?) was not highly ranked coming out of high school. Look at what he became. Player development, especially for big men, is an important part of the college game. That's why I wouldn't scoff at Cobb.

Reactions: mspaeth
Some years ago, I posted about David Laury from East Orange and said he was someone we should possibly be recruiting. He was ranked very low, if at all. It took him a while to develop, but he turned into an excellent college player. Last year for Iona he posted these numbers:

That kid from Wisconsin, Kaminski (sp?) was not highly ranked coming out of high school. Look at what he became. Player development, especially for big men, is an important part of the college game. That's why I wouldn't scoff at Cobb.

Exception to the rule theory! It's one of my message board favorites. Why save for retirement when I can win the lottery instead? People win the lottery you know.

I'm not saying the player in question isn't or can't be good. I am saying it's better to set expectations based on the rule, not the exception.

Willard couldnt even get Teague to stop doing the power dribble, is anyone convinced he can actually develop players? Like I know you've all marked the development of our guys before, but i think its credited to "1 year older." The first thing you look at with coaching is the ability to get rid of bad habits. Fu, and Teague, and Mobley, and JRob, etc never got rid of their bad habits. An you all saw how Whiteheads first year went.

This debate about the rankings of players has been going on since this Board first started, and even before that when Konchalski's report was considered the " Bible" for rating recruits . While you can always point to players who were not highly ranked who became really good college players and highly ranked HS players who never came close to living up to their hype the fact is that the teams that are able to build a roster of the higher ranked players are , as a rule , far more successful then teams with lower ranked players, but there are always exceptions to that rule but they are rare. If this team is to get better it needs to bring in the better talent not players that you hope can develop.

Rutgers fan, LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT