ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN has Ajou as latest Pirate to transfer

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
the_setonian_72ppi.png

Posted By Gary Phillips on Jun 4, 2015

AP

It appears that Chier Ajou and Seton Hall have parted ways.

According to reports, the 7-foot, 2-inch, 245 pound big man is leaving the men’s basketball program.

It seemed as if Ajou’s tenure with SHU could be nearing its end after the Pirates nabbed UMass transfer Derrick Gordon, effectively giving the program more players than scholarships to offer. Chris McManus of SHUHoops.com first wrote that Ajou was a goner after the South Sudan native appeared on Jeff Goodman’s transfer list at ESPN.

Ajou’s time in South Orange was short-lived. He came to the Pirates by way of transfer following a freshman year at Northwestern that saw him leave mid-season in 2014. The timing of the departure made Ajou ineligible during the 2015 fall semester. Once active, he saw limited action on the court for the Hall.

Ajou played just 38 total minutes for the Pirates last year despite the team lacking frontcourt depth. At the end of the year he had accumulated 10 rebounds, one assist, one block, one steal and three points.

The center is the latest in an ever-growing line of Seton Hall transfer casualties. Sterling Gibbs recently decided on UConn after leaving the Pirates in April while Jaren Sina left back in February. He has since committed to George Washington.

Gary Phillips can be reached at gary.phillips@student.shu.edu or on Twitter @GPhillips2727.

This was reported here by our readers weeks ago and was hinted at on the Trove even before that (I did not have permission from my source to give the name out back then).

Amicable parting. Ajou was a very nice young men. Extremely intelligent and well spoken. He just did not have the inner drive to be a high D1 BB player.

Wish him well.

Give it a rest on Willard. He signed him on Fred Hill's recommendation. There is enough substantive and blame worthy things to criticize KW about without the constant nonsense that gets drudged up here.

Give it a rest on Willard. He signed him on Fred Hill's recommendation. There is enough substantive and blame worthy things to criticize KW about without the constant nonsense that gets drudged up here.
IMO worth the risk.

Ajou has the size and physical ability to play at this level. He was very mobile with decent lateral movement for a 7-1 player. He was in no way a stiff.

But he just didn't have that inner drive that's needed to play at this level. He was just too nice a young man. Needed a little nasty.

Worth the risk, but we have 11 guys on the team who are "risks" which somehow KW is still getting away with. He didnt even use Ajou in the ONE situation he would have been helpful.

Worth the risk, but we have 11 guys on the team who are "risks" which somehow KW is still getting away with.
To equate 11 other guys on the team with Ajou as risks is foolish.

You roll the dice on a 7-1 player with decent athleticism. SHU is not going to bring in many high quality players with that type size. If it works out you have hit a home run. If it doesn't he becomes an end of the bench player and the 13th man in your rotation.

Not defending either side here but KW did use Ajou in a meaningful situation once: the last six minutes of the 1st half of the 1st Nova game. Angel was on the bench with foul trouble, I think Desi and Anthony were also, we had absolutely no inside presence so he brought Ajou off the bench (and Ish too). I remember one rebound and at least one foul but he brought some stability for a few minutes.

Wish him all the best. Shame on Willard for ever offering him a scholarship in the first place. It would have served him better to go D2 or low D1 straight from his last college.

yep. it was obvious from day 1 the kid was never going to do anything for us. yet a schollie was wasted on him, and grennan, and wilson, and so on and so on. I guess when you can't actually recruit solid players on a regular basis to fill your roster though, this is what you get. Terrible coach who needs to be fired immediately.

Ajou was not mobile in anyway. Our program was never really good at developing big men either

When a kid who cant play at a sub .500 team is available, the HC can always tell the asst, no, I don't think so. Criticizing Willard here has gotten nuts, but he deserves it in this situation imo.

Reactions: potbelly
To equate 11 other guys on the team with Ajou as risks is foolish.

You roll the dice on a 7-1 player with decent athleticism. SHU is not going to bring in many high quality players with that type size. If it works out you have hit a home run. If it doesn't he becomes an end of the bench player and the 13th man in your rotation.
I agree. I just think we are LOADED with to many "what if/but if" guys. A 7'2'' guy is someone you always take a chance on.

If he had the drive do you think he could have actually contributed?

I agree. I just think we are LOADED with to many "what if/but if" guys. A 7'2'' guy is someone you always take a chance on.

If he had the drive do you think he could have actually contributed?
Yeah. I actually do. But BB was just fun for him. He never took it near as seriously as needed to become a D1 player.

My guess, and it's only a guess is that he played the sport because of his size and not to become the best player he could have been.

Yeah. I actually do. But BB was just fun for him. He never took it near as seriously as needed to become a D1 player.

My guess, and it's only a guess is that he played the sport because of his size and not to become the best player he could have been.
Well its good he stepped down, and was real with us about his intentions (eventually)

Dan
The issue with Ajou from my perspective is that when you look at any player you look at certain key factors that determine if the player can succeed and contribute at a BE level. You look at his basketball skills, his athletic ability , his upside AND his desire and determination to succeed . While he had athletic ability his BB skills were lacking and I'm learning this now from you is that the desire and commitment wasn't there for him to succeed and that should have been a part of the process before you take a chance on a player that is a risk.

Dan
The issue with Ajou from my perspective is that when you look at any player you look at certain key factors that determine if the player can succeed and contribute at a BE level. You look at his basketball skills, his athletic ability , his upside AND his desire and determination to succeed . While he had athletic ability his BB skills were lacking and I'm learning this now from you is that the desire and commitment wasn't there for him to succeed and that should have been a part of the process before you take a chance on a player that is a risk.

You can hardly blame Dan that you are learning about Ajou now. Dan has consistently said Ajou was a great guy, always leaving the subtext of desire open if unstated. You just failed to pick up on it and now that Ajou is gone, Dan is being more forthright about it. BTW - Ajou would still be here if Gibbs had not transferred. He got caught in a numbers game once we needed to replace Gibbs for next season. It happens.

You can hardly blame Dan that you are learning about Ajou now. Dan has consistently said Ajou was a great guy, always leaving the subtext of desire open if unstated. You just failed to pick up on it and now that Ajou is gone, Dan is being more forthright about it. BTW - Ajou would still be here if Gibbs had not transferred. He got caught in a numbers game once we needed to replace Gibbs for next season. It happens.

No one is blaming Dan for anything as I was just stating the fact that I had not heard any talk about Ajou's commitment to succeed in the time he's been at SH.

Reactions: shupat08
If Ajou was super talented and an athletic freak (Does height only count in this sense? Not sure), but he didn't have the desire... Do you take him? Most likely, yes.

If Ajou was not that talented and not all that athletic (just tall and not a stiff) and he doesn't have the desire... do you take him? I say NO... Our staff says YES.

If Ajou was super talented and an athletic freak (Does height only count in this sense? Not sure), but he didn't have the desire... Do you take him? Most likely, yes.

If Ajou was not that talented and not all that athletic (just tall and not a stiff) and he doesn't have the desire... do you take him? I say NO... Our staff says YES.
While our staff has compiled the biggest squad of reaches out of desperation to make it look like we've had at least some activity, Ajou is one that is OK, and a local guy like Ish for that matter. But the line needs to be drawn shortly after.

As for recruiting, it is upsetting that the staff didn't get Okafor, Winslow, Townes, Johnson, Jones, Ullis, Russell and Alexander. Gee whiz - what failures! SHU didn't have a snowball's chance in Hades of getting any of them. The cream is skimmed before the Hall gets to take a drink. SHU was fortunate to get IW, AD, DR and KC. Appreciate what is there. They played well as frosh. It is not unreasonable to expect growth as sophs. Even a team of all stars (KY) struggled from time to time (e.g. Columbia game) and ultimately lost to WI who had probably no players that many on this board would have jumped up and down for as recruits.

We are talking about 18 year old young men, many of whom have been coddled since they were biddy ball players. Excepting the very highest ranked ( and even some of them disappoint), every kid is a risk.

The talk of bringing in a "name" coach follows the same lines. Who would come to the Hall? As much as I love it, is it really such a plum coaching position in college bball?

As for second guessing the coach, with the exception of perhaps one (maybe two from my read) persons on this board, no one is in practice, no one participates in the planning process of the coaching staff, no one participates in the scouting and analysis process of the staff and no one is privy to the recuiting strategy and implementation of that strategy. moreover, the coaching resumes of the members of the board are a little light. The sports mentality that every Tom, Dick and Harry knows best has permeated sports on every level - everyone is an analyst. Everyone is a superior coach. It is a reflection of the times. So sad. Oh yeah - I know that a board such as this is all about expressing opinions and I understand fanaticism for a team. But really!

I am proud supporter of the Hall. I enjoy how the currently constituted group of returning players plays. They hustle. They play with elan. Things will be OK.

I love college basketball because a team like Columbia (real students) can give Kentucky (guns for hire/pros) a game and with a few favorable bounces could even win. That is the beauty of college hoops. That is why the NCAA tourney has become so special. The Davids have a chance - although it seems more and more that those chances are dwindling. When college hoops becomes so divided that the "mid-majors" and below don't knock off a Goliath everyonce in a while, the game will start whithering away and interest in the game will wane.

In the words of today's kids: Just sayin...

Not defending either side here but KW did use Ajou in a meaningful situation once: the last six minutes of the 1st half of the 1st Nova game. Angel was on the bench with foul trouble, I think Desi and Anthony were also, we had absolutely no inside presence so he brought Ajou off the bench (and Ish too). I remember one rebound and at least one foul but he brought some stability for a few minutes.

As I recall, Ajou committed 3 fouls in about a minute and a half. Ajou had no clue how to play defense or how to position himself to play defense. He looked very lost out there.

As for recruiting, it is upsetting that the staff didn't get Okafor, Winslow, Townes, Johnson, Jones, Ullis, Russell and Alexander. Gee whiz - what failures!
LOL so you decide to go the opposite end of the spectrum... from Ajou to Okafor... laughable

Even a team of all stars (KY) struggled from time to time (e.g. Columbia game) and ultimately lost to WI who had probably no players that many on this board would have jumped up and down for as recruits.
LOLOL um we would be jumping for joy for a majority of them. There are a bunch of ESPN top 100 in there. Laughable again.

Things will be OK.
LOLOLOL. I guess you have a different opinion of what OK is.

I don't go to practice, I am not a coach. I watch the games and comment on what I see. And I comment on the program based on how I view it. I think that makes me a fan. And to have the opinion of our program that most of us have is pretty easy to trace.

I seem to remember the nice rebounds. It's coming back to me now. Thanks.

Other then Fordham has there been more kids to transfer out of a program then Seton Hall in the last 5 years?

Other then Fordham has there been more kids to transfer out of a program then Seton Hall in the last 5 years?
Please. There are over 700 kids on the transfer list. It happens every year virtually to every program and it's become more and more common every year. The last several years it's been like an epidemic.

Reactions: hall_fan
Isn't motivating players to be the best they can be part of the coaches job? This player is two strikes as far as I'm concerned. 1) he should never been offered a scholarship. He barely played at his old school. 2) how many players has Willard be unable to motivate?
I don't like to keep knocking Willard or the staff but they just keep letting the program down

It's a shame when people are steered toward playing basketball just because they're tall.

He wants to play BB not sit on a bench his whole remaining career and he knew that wasn't going to happen at the Hall. The split was amicable.

Wait so he wants to play, but not that hard....

I want to bring education received into this but i dont know where to begin

What will typically occur in these situations is a coach will sit down with a player and go over his shortcomings and say he will never get any minutes and hint/encourage the player to weigh his options. My guess is that occured in this situation but its only a guess and its true he would not have gotten many minutes at all here. Hopefully it works out for both parties.

It's a tough business for both the kids and coaches and its important that the kids know that.

Why do we all act shocked when things like this happen. It happens in mens and womens b ball across the board from the patriot league to the big. ( cant believe I just called it the big)

I thought he played a heck of a game in our win against Villanova. During the minutes he played, he kept their bigs from under the basket.

He wants to play BB not sit on a bench his whole remaining career and he knew that wasn't going to happen at the Hall. The split was amicable.
Dan, no offense but do you really think the kid was happy about being told he wasn't wanted and he went skipping out the door? These kids have feelings. They are not machines that have no emotions. Ajou left quietly without any hoopla and if that is what is considered amicable, then I guess you are right. My heart just goes out to these kids. The dissappointment is harder on them than you will ever know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT