ADVERTISEMENT

Father Hall Responds

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
the_setonian_72ppi.png

Former campus priest discusses his LGBT social media post

Posted By Emily Balan on May 18, 2015

Courtesy of the New York Daily News

The Rev. Warren Hall has confirmed that his removal from his position as director of the Office of Campus Ministry was due to the picture he posted on Facebook last fall.

The NoH8 picture he posted on his Facebook that started the controversy, “came from a gathering on anti-bullying of LGBT teens in New York that I attended,” Hall said in an email. “I was aware that the ‘NoH8’ organization also supports marriage equality but that was not the purpose of my attendance.”

He added, “In the fall I posted that picture on my Facebook page with the caption, ‘why can’t we all just get along.’ That was in response to a discussion I was involved with pertaining to the police/racial tension situation at the time.” Hall is referring riots that followed the Ferguson, Mo. grand jury decision not to indict a white officer for fatally shooting an unarmed black man.

According to Hall, the picture was brought up in December at a regularly scheduled meeting with Monsignor Anthony Ziccardi, vice president for Mission and Ministry and a member of the Board of Regents. When asked about this incident, Ziccardi said in an email that as a matter of University policy, he is unable to speak publicly about personnel or employee matters.

“I explained the circumstances about it. He asked that I take it down, which I did. I heard nothing else about it until Archbishop Myers called me Monday (May 11) to say he was removing me from SHU because of the picture,” Hall said.

Jim Goodness, a spokesman for the Archdiocese of Newark, denied Hall’s claim and said that he was a part of 700 reassignments planned by the archdiocese, originally speaking to BuzzFeed News. He confirmed that the Archdiocese was aware of the the original post and the tweet and said he could not explain why Hall would believe he was fired for the post. “I am aware that he will be available to start a new assignment in June,” he said in a phone call.

A University spokesman, Dan Kalmanson, the associate vice president for Public Relations and Marketing, said in an email, “Seton Hall is a welcoming and accepting academic community with a diverse array of students, faculty and administrators. We pride ourselves on the close-knit fabric of our community and celebrate, accept and embrace all of our members.”

This is not the first time the Newark Diocese has been conflicted with a Seton Hall faculty member for their public affiliation with LGBT and equality issues.

Dr. King Mott, associate professor of political science, has been with Seton Hall since 1997. He wrote an op-ed to the Star-Ledger in 2005 concerning the Church hierarchy’s discrimination against gay men. The next day he was fired from his position as the associate dean for the School of Arts and Sciences, relocated as an associate professor in the Political Science Department and was forced to take a two-month leave of absence.

“From the perspective of some, (Hall)’s been insubordinate. It doesn’t matter what the official position of the church is. He is seen as advocating for the LGBT people. On a Catholic college campus like Seton Hall, you cannot get away with that,” Mott said.

Students posting on Twitter and Facebook have repeated that firing Hall for posting about equality and antidiscrimination of a certain group is wrong. Some have even criticized the University’s lack of LGBT support on campus.

Junior Demetrius Terry, an openly gay African American male, spoke out about his experience at SHU.

“I honestly was looking for a LGBT club to join to help me transition into the University but unfortunately I couldn’t find one,” he said in an email. “I had to email an individual to find out there was any LGBTQ clubs on campus and they told me yes, it was called Allies.”

Mari Eboli, the former secretary of Allies, said although the club receives a couple hundred dollars in funding from a University source unknown to her, the club is not officially recognized by the Student Government Association.

“In our constitution, we are not allowed to try to become a real club because that goes against the Catholic Mission. All of our events have to be educational events, not promotional,” she said.

Dr. Andrew Bereton, director of special projects in the Division of Student Services and Allies faculty advisor, explained that instead of SGA-recognition, “There is a memorandum of understanding that delineates the relationship between Allies and the Office of the Vice President. That memorandum was negotiated and agreed to by student leaders and university officials about 10 years ago. The Allies e-board renews their commitment to that agreement each year. Under that agreement, Allies is advised by a representative of the Vice President’s office.”

Eboli explained that beyond not being recognized by SGA, the club has to “jump through hoops” about getting events and flyers approved by the administration. To her, the biggest downside to not being able to promote the club is that, “People don’t know that we’re out there and people might be looking for us.”

Eboli knew Hall from seeing him around campus, especially at SGA events and presiding over masses. She said that in his homilies, “He would incorporate the acceptance of all people, no matter what he’s talking about he always brought it back to that. He was the perfect person when I think about someone who is Catholic,” she said.

Terry had similar sentiments. “It saddens me to see not only Fr. Hall but the Seton Hall community get punished because Fr. Hall supports equality. By him not being at Seton Hall, it leaves an empty place in our hearts. One thing that attracted me to come to Seton Hall was the ‘family-like environment.’ Now one of our family members is gone, it’s just not right to me!”

Emily Balan can be reached at emily.balan@student.shu.edu.

http://www.thesetonian.com/2015/05/18/reverend-hall-discusses-his-lgbt-social-media-post/

the_setonian_72ppi.png

LGBT conversation ramps up on Seton Hall’s campus

Posted By Rebecca White on May 16, 2015

Courtesy of shu.edu

Laverne Cox. Chaz Bono. And recently, Bruce Jenner identify as members of the LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender) community. The dialogue about LGBT support and awareness has increased in recent years with movements such as the pride parades and the legalization of gay marriage in certain states.However, how is the conversation represented at Seton Hall University? And what position does SHU take on such issues?

On May 15, it was revealed through Father Warren Hall’s Twitter that he was fired from SHU for posting a picture on Facebook supporting the LGBT community. As of now, this tweet has been taken down, but a snapshot was taken and has been posted on numerous Facebook groups started by students who are outraged about the decision to fire Father Hall.

According to the online petition to reinstate Father Hall, the Archdiocese of Newark made the decision to fire the priest. The petition has already been signed by over 115 people.

As of now, the LGBT community is recognized at SHU through the Allies club that is acknowledged through the Office of the Vice President, but it is not a Student Government Association (SGA) recognized club. In the last two years, no LGBT related group has applied to be an SGA recognized organization, according to Maggie Bach, the SGA advisor.

“There is a memorandum of understanding that delineates the relationship between Allies and the Office of the Vice President,” said Dr. Andrew Brereton, the Allies advisor in the division of student services. “That memorandum was negotiated and agreed to by student leaders and university officials about 10 years ago. The Allie e-board renews their commitment to that agreement each year. Under that agreement, Allies is advised by a representative of the Vice President’s office.”

Corina Hendren, a rising senior and diplomacy major, will be the secretary for the Allies club for the 2015-2016 school year. According to Hendren, the club hopes to get SGA recognition next year.

“I would definitely support giving SGA recognition to any LGBT club,” said Timothy Hoffman, the former SGA president of the 2014-2015 school year and 2015 graduate. “Our constitution has a strong anti-discrimination policy and as long as the club met the standards of all SGA recognized clubs, there would be no reason for them to be denied by SGA.”

As a non-conforming, androgynous, lesbian and pansexual member of the community, Hendren said SHU has some comfortable places for the LGBT students, but there are also some places that are uncomfortable.

“Just knowing that the University does not accept me because they believe that the way I was born is morally wrong just leaves a sour taste in my mouth sometimes” said Hendren. “I figured that the school would be more accepting.”

Marina Montenegro, a junior who is gender neutral and androsexual, doesn’t believe there is a lot of representation for the LGBT community outside the Allies club at SHU.

“I’ve never felt uncomfortable at Seton Hall because of my gender, but I also appear as female and people treat me as such” said Montenegro.

The LGBT community is receiving more media coverage due to Bruce Jenner’s interview with Diane Sawyer and the Bruce Jenner special appearing on E!

“I feel the LGBT community is under represented in the media” said Montenegro. “Specifically, I am tired of seeing cis-gender straight people playing gay or transgender characters on TV.”

Hendren agreed with Montenegro that the LGBT community is often portrayed in film and movies by people who are not a part of the LGBT community.

“This is especially the case for transgender representation,” said Hendren. “There are plenty of transgender actresses and actors that are more than capable of playing transgender roles that are oftentimes given to cis-gendered people.”

According to Hendren, it appears that the LGBT community has responded positively to the Bruce Jenner coverage.

“I think it is positive because it gives people who are unaware of transgender issues something to think about,” said Hendren. “People who are transgender require so much more representation in the media, as I feel that it could help people understand how they really are no different from someone who is cis.”

Hendren and Montenegro agree that creating a dialogue is the first step for SHU to create a place that is accepting of LGBT community members.

Father Hall tweeted, “Turn this into an opportunity for open/reasonable discussion on LGBT issues on a Cath Campus.”

Rebecca White can be reached at rebecca.white@student.shu.edu.

http://www.thesetonian.com/2015/05/16/lgbt-conversation-ramps-up-on-seton-halls-campus/

Am I reading this correctly? He wasn't fired, but rather being reassigned?

Correct. Fr. Hall wasn't fired BY SHU, or even FROM SHU, rather he will be reassigned to a new post within the Arch Diocese. Odd for someone to be fired and working in that same position 3 days later.

Well it was only a matter of time before this sort of thing hit the fan at SHU.

Am I reading this correctly? He wasn't fired, but rather being reassigned?
He no longer works at his previous job at SHU but is still a priest who will get another assignment. Read it how you want, but he got fired from his SHU job.

Hopefully this won't last too long as AB Meyers only has a short time left. When he was hired I was not happy and he has disappointed me even more than I could have imagined.

Do priests ever get "fired". Reassigned is the term they use. I know of a priest who stole hundreds of thousands from the church coffers of a church near my home, and he got "reassigned" to a church in a different state.

I know nothing about how the Archdiocese works with regards to moving people around. Do they typically move, rotate or reassign; not just for punitive means? I'm not defending them at all because I believe in acceptance and tolerance.

Right now though we are only hearing Fr Hall's side of the story. FB post was in the fall; why timing of reassignment now if there is a connection? Wouldn't they have done it last year?

Hopefully this won't last too long as AB Meyers only has a short time left. When he was hired I was not happy and he has disappointed me even more than I could have imagined.

112-Absolutely agree with you. AB Meyers should retire immediately but to his multi-dollar mansion in Hunterdon County.

Maybe the question the newspaper reporters should be asking: Who will be paying to keep up AB Meyers life style which will have to include cooks, house keepers, landscapers. pool keepers. etc.

I know nothing about how the Archdiocese works with regards to moving people around. Do they typically move, rotate or reassign; not just for punitive means? I'm not defending them at all because I believe in acceptance and tolerance.

Right now though we are only hearing Fr Hall's side of the story. FB post was in the fall; why timing of reassignment now if there is a connection? Wouldn't they have done it last year?

I like Father Hall but the Church's teaching on gay marriage is crystal clear. If he disagrees with that position, which he is entirely free to do so, then he should not have become a priest. I agree with the Church's position on the issue but respect others' right to disagree with me.

I find it almost unethical that he publicly posted about a private matter while knowing full well that the AB cannot respond in kind. I wish Father Hall well but I don't think that he is a victim in this matter.

I like Father Hall but the Church's teaching on gay marriage is crystal clear. If he disagrees with that position, which he is entirely free to do so, then he should not have become a priest. I agree with the Church's position on the issue but respect others' right to disagree with me.

I find it almost unethical that he publicly posted about a private matter while knowing full well that the AB cannot respond in kind. I wish Father Hall well but I don't think that he is a victim in this matter.

The church "teaches" about gay marriage? And how, exactly, did they arrive at their bigoted stance? Did they talk to any actual gay people, or are they opposed because they think being gay is icky?

As a Christian, I've yet to hear a good reason why anyone would be opposed to gay marriage. Since you don't need to go to a church to get married, or even believe in God, any opposition makes no sense. Who, exactly, is harmed by two gay people getting married? I've been asking this question for years, and have never gotten a legitimate answer.

The Catholic Church needs to crawl from out of the dark ages, and admit they've been wrong all along about this issue.

Fr Hall may be a likable individual but it's very clear that he's stirring up a dirt storm, and that the media (which always loves a good "Gays vs Catholics" story) isn't letting logic or balance get in its way. If he really loves either the Catholic Church or Seton Hall University, he sure has an odd way of showing it via his attention seeking behavior.

Jimsouls,

As you correctly point out, a same-sex couple neither needs to believe in God nor needs Church sanction to get married. So why impose same-sex marriage on the Catholic Church?

The issue today is less about tolerance, which most Americans and most Catholics practice quite well on an individual level (consistent with the teachings of Jesus Christ). The issue is that the pendulum has - in a startlingly short period of time - overcorrected so dramatically that the gay movement is now very much on the front foot and vigorously seeking to impose its agenda on the Catholic Church.

Whatever happened to freedom to practice ones own religion, separation of church and state, etc? Let the state authorize gay marriage; why should the Church be forced to do so...particularly when there is abundant scriptural, theological and natural law support for the Church's position. Not that every American has to agree with or believe this objection is correct - that's your freedom of religious conscience, which is equally protected by the first amendment.

Fr Hall is free to have his own opinion on the matter, he plainly can not go about openly and publicly flouting his organization's official policy without expecting to eventually be disciplined in some form.

Reactions: SHU11516
SHUMA04,

That still doesn't explain why anyone would be politically opposed to gay marriage. Since we are not a Catholic (or Christian) nation, why would anyone be against two consenting adults getting married? Surely Catholics are reasonable enough to understand that not everyone in America is Catholic (and should therefore have their own individual rights as citizens). Or are they? By saying gay couples shouldn't be allowed to marry on religious grounds, a Catholic person is thereby trying to impose their religious beliefs on all Americans. That's selfish, especially since any reasonable person would agree that a gay couple getting married hurts no one. So why would anyone be against it, unless the reason is bigotry?

Jimsouls,

Thank you for your cordial and civilized response.

I don't disagree with you actually. America is not nor every was run by a Christian government. I am affirming a separation of church and state.

All I am saying is that the Church shouldn't be silenced or bullied when it comes to having its position regarding (Church) marriage as a sacrament between a man and a woman. There is abundant scriptural justification for the Church-held view of marriage. The Church should of course have the right to express its view in the context of a broader political and social debate over marriage.

However, the government and population are under no legal obligation to concur with the Church. So by all means if the population is in favor of gay marriages (as we all acknowledge it is now) then the government can define it as it wishes. And the government by and large has done exactly that.

But what we have today is the gay movement - having had a very rapid and decisive victory in the political and social spheres - now invading into Church territory to try to force the church to redefine the sacrament.

That is wrong and violates both freedom of religion as well as separation of church of state. It also reeks of tyranny of the majority and a new form of intolerance where the shoe is on the other foot.

Reactions: boatshu
Interesting and thought provoking debate. Great work guys.

Agree with SHUMA04. The thing is its not only the Catholic religion that has this stance. Baptists, many Born Agains, certain Jewish sects and more feel the same way about gay marriage but its the Catholic church that takes much or all of the heat which is patently unfair but now part of the populist agenda of the press. The press is a big part of the problem in this country as it is not fair nor balanced in any way shape or form.

Agree with SHUMA04. The thing is its not only the Catholic religion that has this stance. Baptists, many Born Agains, certain Jewish sects and more feel the same way about gay marriage but its the Catholic church that takes much or all of the heat which is patently unfair but now part of the populist agenda of the press. The press is a big part of the problem in this country as it is not fair nor balanced in any way shape or form.
Fundamental I sts take more heat imo. If we get a lot of snow that nut pat Robertson will blame it on this issue. But you reap what you sow.

Yes, priests are reassigned all the time for all kinds of reasons, good or bad, from different parishes, between different schools and different positions in the same school, as well as positions with diocese. but in this case seems like it was done for punitive reasons.

The church "teaches" about gay marriage? And how, exactly, did they arrive at their bigoted stance? Did they talk to any actual gay people, or are they opposed because they think being gay is icky?

As a Christian, I've yet to hear a good reason why anyone would be opposed to gay marriage. Since you don't need to go to a church to get married, or even believe in God, any opposition makes no sense. Who, exactly, is harmed by two gay people getting married? I've been asking this question for years, and have never gotten a legitimate answer.

The Catholic Church needs to crawl from out of the dark ages, and admit they've been wrong all along about this issue.

You can learn of the Church's teachings in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Good arguments against gay marriage? How about violating natural law? What about 5000 years of tradition?

Pro gay marriage advocates have no coherent arguments against 3 or more people marrying, none. If you have it it i would be pleased to read it. I find it amusing that individuals belittle a religious principle as from the dark ages which is, in fact, based on firm philosophical and theological underpinnings (again read the CCC). What is the pro gay marriage clear principle? Recall, 90% of Americans were opposed to gay marriage 10 years ago and the sitting President was opposed to it as recently as 3 years ago and yet the pro traditional marriage crowd is comprised of Neanderthals. Is this change due to moral relativism or due to a newly discovered "truth".

Your position appears to be that the Catholic Church has been wrong on this issue for 2000 years (Orthodox Jews for far longer) but now because the elites in our country claim that gay marriage is equivalent to traditional marriage it is therefore true. Really? Do you truly find that compelling? Recall that same elites held a contrary position 20 years ago. Has natural law or human nature change over twenty years? Or, were these same elites wrong before but now understand real truth? Really? How did elites suddenly become so smart?

If gay people seek the same legal rights that accrue to married couples, I have no objections. However, to call it marriage mocks the meaning of the word. I disagree with your position but I won't name call as you have done.

Reactions: catholicman
I think that the gradual acceptance of gay marriage reflects our changing social values and mores. It also reflects the current societal belief that sexual orientation is an inherent trait rather than a matter of preference.

got it, you're another bigot dressing your bigotry up with alot of window dressing. next.

You just proved my point. You can't articulate any reasoned argument and can only name call. Based on your "reasoning", our President was a bigot 3 years ago as was the majority of Americans. Is asking you to state your case bigotry? I love the so-called diversity police in today's society, not only is someone who disagrees with another person wrong but he is evil as well.

I'm curious but if someone opposes a 3 person marriage, is he a bigot? Can a brother and sister marry? If not, why not?

Reactions: catholicman
I think that the gradual acceptance of gay marriage reflects our changing social values and mores. It also reflects the current societal belief that sexual orientation is an inherent trait rather than a matter of preference.

There has been nothing gradual about it at all. In the context of western civilization or even US history the change has been absolutely revolutionary. It reflects the constant advocating by elites in our society and propaganda at our schools and universities over the past 10 years. in my view, far too many Americans wish to be viewed as progressive, pc or whatever title you like rather than hold a principled position that is not in keeping with society's elites. Ten years ago gay marriage was extremely unpopular. Thus, to radically redefine the oldest institution in human history over about one decade is the antithesis of gradual.

Fr Hall may be a likable individual but it's very clear that he's stirring up a dirt storm, and that the media (which always loves a good "Gays vs Catholics" story) isn't letting logic or balance get in its way. If he really loves either the Catholic Church or Seton Hall University, he sure has an odd way of showing it via his attention seeking behavior.

Jimsouls,

As you correctly point out, a same-sex couple neither needs to believe in God nor needs Church sanction to get married. So why impose same-sex marriage on the Catholic Church?

The issue today is less about tolerance, which most Americans and most Catholics practice quite well on an individual level (consistent with the teachings of Jesus Christ). The issue is that the pendulum has - in a startlingly short period of time - overcorrected so dramatically that the gay movement is now very much on the front foot and vigorously seeking to impose its agenda on the Catholic Church.

Whatever happened to freedom to practice ones own religion, separation of church and state, etc? Let the state authorize gay marriage; why should the Church be forced to do so...particularly when there is abundant scriptural, theological and natural law support for the Church's position. Not that every American has to agree with or believe this objection is correct - that's your freedom of religious conscience, which is equally protected by the first amendment.

Fr Hall is free to have his own opinion on the matter, he plainly can not go about openly and publicly flouting his organization's official policy without expecting to eventually be disciplined in some form.
Great post and sums up the way I feel as well. Why can't we delineate church and state? That doesn't seem to be good enough for many.

In the meantime, there doesn't seem to be the same uproar against Islam (zero gay acceptance, much less marriage and prehistoric women's rights).

I think TrueBlue1989 articulates the Church's position quite well. All are certainly welcome at Seton Hall, and within the Catholic Church, but this demand for admission that it's another shade of normal, and labelling those who don't fall into lockstep as "bigots," is disgusting.

I think turiddu mentioned the beatitudes the other day: "Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"

Agree, too, that the "Stone Age" thing is a joke. Those with no understanding of the foundation of Christian Theology based on Greek philosophy could only be so ignorant. Those who hate the Church shout "science," without realizing the lack thereof regarding the inheritance of homosexuality, or, ironically, the anti-Darwinistic nature of same-sex coitus.

I guess the real question, to any SHU alum, is: WHY would you want any relationship with an institution whose values are so contrary to your way of thinking?

Last edited:
In the meantime, there doesn't seem to be the same uproar against Islam (zero gay acceptance, much less marriage and prehistoric women's rights).

Amen Hall 85! It's OK to bash Catholics because we will simply debate you.. But God forbid you bash Muslims because they will do more than just debate you and that is also not cool with the press when you say something true about Muslims.

Saying gays are welcome as long as they do not live a gay lifestyle is hardly acceptance. Who says gay is not part of natural order? It is common in the animal kingdom. It was embraced by the most advanced of the ancient civilizations. And is has been common among men and women throughout the history of the world, even while being damned, even while being gay was dangerous, illegal etc.

The church would still say the Sun revolved around the Earth it science didn't clearly disprove that. 2000 years of church teaching to me holds as much weight as 2000 years of any other religion. And let's face it, if our parents were from Teheran, we would be debating Islam.

Darwin observed same sex COITUS (wow that word sucks) in nature, probably happened since the beginning of time. But im not sure what that has to do with anything. Its meaningless. Pretty sure humans arent dying out any time soon.

Great post and sums up the way I feel as well. Why can't we delineate church and state? That doesn't seem to be good enough for many.

Islam is far worse that Catholicism on these issues. Who doesn't acknowledge that? Such an attempt to deflect attention.

Reactions: Pirate6711
I think TrueBlue1989 articulates the Church's position quite well. All are certainly welcome at Seton Hall, and within the Catholic Church, but this demand for admission that it's another shade of normal, and labelling those who don't fall into lockstep as "bigots," is disgusting.

I think turiddu mentioned the beatitudes the other day: "Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven"

Agree, too, that the "Stone Age" thing is a joke. Those with no understanding of the foundation of Christian Theology based on Greek philosophy could only be so ignorant. Those who hate the Church shout "science," without realizing the lack thereof regarding the inheritance of homosexuality, or, ironically, the anti-Darwinistic nature of same-sex coitus.

I guess the real question, to any SHU alum, is: WHY would you want any relationship with an institution whose values are so contrary to your way of thinking?

Donnie- I think you are confusing/combining SHU with the church with your last line. The statement of “Seton Hall is a welcoming and accepting academic community with a diverse array of students, faculty and administrators. We pride ourselves on the close-knit fabric of our community and celebrate, accept and embrace all of our members” came from SHU, not the church and might explain why someone would still want to be associated with the university even though they dont share the values of the church.

Donnie- I think you are confusing/combining SHU with the church with your last line. The statement of “Seton Hall is a welcoming and accepting academic community with a diverse array of students, faculty and administrators. We pride ourselves on the close-knit fabric of our community and celebrate, accept and embrace all of our members” came from SHU, not the church and might explain why someone would still want to be associated with the university even though they dont share the values of the church.

True, 09, but at the core, it's a Catholic University. If I was as anti-Catholic as some of the posters on this board, I'd have nothing to do with SHU. Wouldn't have even gone there!

The church would still say the Sun revolved around the Earth it science didn't clearly disprove that. 2000 years of church teaching to me holds as much weight as 2000 years of any other religion.

If science didn't prove it, so would everyone (say that). Talk about deflection. You do know that during the Dark Ages, the monastaries HOUSED the scientific texts. I'm a scientist, and subscribe to Darwin's theories. But we have enemies of religion constantly brandishing Darwin as an argument against a creator. My point about evolution and genetics is that we have no definitive proof, either way, about the genetic nature of homosexuality. It was classified as mental illness until the 1960s or 70s.

On your second sentence, we are in agreement; anyone who seeks something greater than him/herself in the Universe has my respect.

I went to SHU. I was losing the little faith I had. That loss continued while at SHU. I was close to one priest, Fr Marino, who was a good friend and advisor. We spoke about academics and literature, his specialty. I admired SHU for keeping to its mission of education and while there, for the first time in my life I became a willing learner, not just a person in the class. I thank SHU for that. I mentioned this years ago, and Belluno and Old Alum took great offense at my being thankful that religion was not a larger part of my education or SHU experience. But it was not. BTW, I went to SHU for the same reason I was a Catholic...family members did it before me.

Islam is far worse that Catholicism on these issues. Who doesn't acknowledge that? Such an attempt to deflect attention.
Not deflecting; just putting it in perspective. Acknowledgement; Yes. The same level of attention (When is should be much more): No, No, No.

I dont agree with the churches stance on many issues (including the one being discussed here) but I don't think I am anti Catholic. I am free to think and believe as I wish, as are those whose thoughts and beliefs are in conflict with mine. I don't try to sway the opinions of the church and in my 20+ year relationship with SHU, I've never once felt as though the University or the church were forcing me to think of believe in certain things.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT