ADVERTISEMENT

First SHU game of the 2015/16 season and

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
......what five player take the court?

And if you don't agree what change(s) would you make?

Expect to see this and if I was coach at this point I would go with the same lineup.

PG - Whitehead
SG - Carrington
SF - Rodriguez
PF - Anderson
C - Delgado

PG: Whitehead
SG: Carrington
SF: Rodriguez
PF: Anderson
C: Delgado
---------------------------
First 4 off the bench:
Gordon, Singh, Anthony, Nzei

If Nzei is healthy for the preseason, he and Desi at forward, Angel at center.

Isaiah and Khadeen of course at guard.

If he is not healthy, I go with Anderson at center I guess and swing Angel to the four.

Expect: Whitehead, Carrington, Desi, Anderson, & Delgado. I would start Gordon and have Carrington come off the bench because imo we have no one that can score the ball off the bench.

Reactions: Pirate6711
Could coach Willard go small ball with this lineup?

PG- Whitehead SG- Carrington SF- Singh PF- Rodriguez C- Delgado

And have 1 guard/wing to come off the bench / literally zero scoring off the bench? No freaking way.

If Nzei is healthy for the preseason, he and Desi at forward, Angel at center.

Isaiah and Khadeen of course at guard.

If he is not healthy, I go with Anderson at center I guess and swing Angel to the four.

Why would Nzei not be ready for the season opener? He has had over a year to get healthy.

Expect: Whitehead, Carrington, Desi, Anderson, & Delgado. I would start Gordon and have Carrington come off the bench because imo we have no one that can score the ball off the bench.

agree 100% with Carrington being the 6th man. I would start Gordon at the other guard but I would be shocked if that happened. Other than Singh there is nobody that looks to bring some scoring off the bench. Bench looks very weak unless someone blossoms quickly.

agree 100% with Carrington being the 6th man. I would start Gordon at the other guard but I would be shocked if that happened. Other than Singh there is nobody that looks to bring some scoring off the bench. Bench looks very weak unless someone blossoms quickly.

Best chance for bench scoring/blossoming after Gordon and Singh would be Nzei, from what I gather.

As of right now, my rotation would be IW, Gordon, Desi, Anderson, & Delgado. First 3 off the bench would Carrington, Singh, & Anthony. I think Nezi's injury is worse than what we're led to believe.

The lack of a quality bench that you are all talking about is why I see no way we get the bid that you know who needs. I agree with Dan's starters.

Reactions: shupat08
Whitehead
Carrington
Angel
Desi
Anderson

No way Carrington doesn't start . If he doesn't he'll walk . Looking at the bench, other then Gordon , it's unclear where we'll get any scoring from as there isn't one player who has demonstrated he's a proven scorer sitting on the bench.
Realistically of the starting five the 4 returnees will provide the bulk of the scoring with Anderson's ability to put points on the board a total unknown. Is there potential for players to step up , at least in my opinion, there is and my choice for the player to do that was Nzei so let's hope he's completely healthy.

Last edited:
No way Carrington doesn't start . If he doesn't he'll walk .

Why do you insist on thinking the worst of our players? Personally, I would follow Dan's lineup and start Carrington and hope our bench offense can come from Singh, but I think a reasonable case could be made for starting Gordon and having the instant offense that Carrington can provide come off the bench. To insinuate that Carrington would not accept this lineup is insulting to him.

Why do you insist on thinking the worst of our players? Personally, I would follow Dan's lineup and start Carrington and hope our bench offense can come from Singh, but I think a reasonable case could be made for starting Gordon and having the instant offense that Carrington can provide come off the bench. To insinuate that Carrington would not accept this lineup is insulting to him.
I agree with 80. The NYC POY doesn't expect to sit at SHU for two years given our status now. It would sure piss me off if I were Carrington. I think I would have started him last year.

I am not really concerned about scoring off the bench. (Of course I want it and understand why it is valuable, but we have so much to worry about, that is way down the list.) I am concerned with fielding a coherent, tough starting 5. I think it is madness for us to hold back one of our best players so we have more juice on the bench.

I agree with 80. The NYC POY doesn't expect to sit at SHU for two years given our status now. It would sure piss me off if I were Carrington. I think I would have started him last year.

I am not really concerned about scoring off the bench. (Of course I want it and understand why it is valuable, but we have so much to worry about, that is way down the list.) I am concerned with fielding a coherent, tough starting 5. I think it is madness for us to hold back one of our best players so we have more juice on the bench.

Again, if the question today is who should start - my answer is Carrington. I am optimistic that Singh will be productive off the bench and like you I can only worry so much about bench scoring.

That being said, I would be very disappointed if the best lineup has Carrington coming off the bench and Carrington "walks" as a result. I think he is a better person than that. Whether he starts or not, he will play a ton of minutes. He is a dynamic player. 80 always looks for the worst in people.

It's not thinking the worst of anyone its accepting the reality of college basketball today where kids transfer in record setting numbers each year because of playing time, not starting, being recruited over and discord with the coach.

It's not thinking the worst of anyone its accepting the reality of college basketball today where kids transfer in record setting numbers each year because of playing time, not starting, being recruited over and discord with the coach.

Fair enough, and when you are speaking in generalities like this I agree with you. I think it is unfair to pin this on a particular player, especially since we don't know it to be true.

My first inclination is Whitehead, Carrington, Singh, Rodriguez, Delgado. But sounds like Desi will be back to the 3 with Anderson alongside Delgado.

It would be nice if one of the new bigs showed he could play D and rebound, like Greg Morton when TA surprised us by starting him. Nzei has great athleticism and Anderson, Anthony and Carter have good size. Here is hoping...

Wow, if Nzei is not healthy for this season he is a wasted ship.
He's still on the mend and I have differences of opinion on how healthy he is at this point.

His wrist (off hand) was badly injured last fall.

One person close to the situation said about 2 weeks ago he's 50% healed. Another pooh poohed that saying he's much better than that and should be around 90% or so by the start of school in September.

That's the reason I'm not expecting much from Nezi. Unable to practice last year, lingering injuries, buried behind Delgado, Anderson, & some Desi at the 4.

Reactions: shupat08
Bench is so incredibly weak. Can't sugarcoat it. That is why I like Carrington off the bench for instant offense. He would still play starter's minutes.

Expect to see this and if I was coach at this point I would go with the same lineup.

PG - Whitehead
SG - Carrington
SF - Rodriguez
PF - Anderson
C - Delgado
Minor difference but I would play Anderson at center and Angel at the PF.

The ben
He's still on the mend and I have differences of opinion on how healthy he is at this point.

His wrist (off hand) was badly injured last fall.

One person close to the situation said about 2 weeks ago he's 50% healed. Another pooh poohed that saying he's much better than that and should be around 90% or so by the start of school in September.
I am not a doc, but I never heard of a wrist taking more than a year to heal, and to still not be ready after all this time.

Whitehead
Carrington
Gordon
Desi
Delgado
Bud, that's a very small team. 3 guards, a 6-5 PF and Delgado.

Last season Angel was worn out by the end of the year being the only quality legitimate big man down low. And that was with the 6-8 Mobley playing the stretch 4.

Plus you are playing all your guards to start the game. That could cause foul issues down the line.

Bud, that's a very small team. 3 guards, a 6-5 PF and Delgado.

Last season Angel was worn out by the end of the year being the only quality legitimate big man down low. And that was with the 6-8 Mobley playing the stretch 4.

Plus you are playing all your guards to start the game. That could cause foul issues down the line.

I'd love to play bigger, but we just don't have the roster for it IMO. Desi can be a very serviceable 4 in this league. He rebounds at a higher level than Mobley. He will also be a better defender, I think. I see a lot of J-Rob in him. The lack of guard depth is an issue (as is the lack of quality front court depth), but I'm not benching one of my 5 best players just to preserve a contingency plan if someone gets in foul trouble.

But we don't have the roster to play "small" either... We have 3 guards. That's it. You can't really play a 3 guard system with ONLY 3 guards on the roster.

Reactions: Pirate6711
I do think we will see IW, Carrington, Godon, Desi, and Delgado quite often

But we don't have the roster to play "small" either... We have 3 guards. That's it. You can't really play a 3 guard system with ONLY 3 guards on the roster.
We have Soffer (a guard) and Singh (who plays like a guard) too. I doubt either is going to be an all-star in year 1, but they can handle the back-up work. Plus, if one of our top 3 guards gets in foul trouble, we can always play the two-guard lineup Dan proposed for the rest of that game. I don't want to start backups for the sake of meeting some arbitrary height quota and preserving our bench.

Providence made the tournament a few years ago playing a rotation of 6 guys (the starters all played 30+ mins, and Cotton and Henton played nearly 40). I think we're going to have to do something similar next year.

Soffer playing back up guard and having to play minutes against Nova, G'Town, etc? Think that'd go well? I don't.

Bud's lineup is perhaps the 5 best players regardless of size or position. While I don't think this will be the starting lineup, I suspect we'll see this group on the floor once in a while and maybe even at the end of games.

Soffer playing back up guard and having to play minutes against Nova, G'Town, etc? Think that'd go well? I don't.
Probably not. I'm guessing he'll fill his shorts the first few times he plays against those types of teams. Most freshmen do. But is giving Soffer reserve guard minutes against Nova/Gtown worse than giving [plug in the name of a reserve big man here] starter's minutes against Nova/Gtown?

I would say giving Anderson/Nzei/Singh minutes at the 3/4/5 along with Desi and Delgado... Plus KC/IW at the 1/2 with Gordon spelling them is the best bet.

Put Soffer/Ish/Anthony/Carter in for emergency minutes.

Probably not. I'm guessing he'll fill his shorts the first few times he plays against those types of teams. Most freshmen do. But is giving Soffer reserve guard minutes against Nova/Gtown worse than giving [plug in the name of a reserve big man here] starter's minutes against Nova/Gtown?
I will wait to see which if any of the frosh are ready to play quality BE minutes. I will be surprised if Singh isn't ready to play. Who knows with Soffer. If he can bring his HS stroke to the BE and hit threes, maybe he surprises us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT