ADVERTISEMENT

Freshmen ineligibility

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
The Big Ten is really pushing freshmen ineligibility hard in basketball and football.

If it comes to pass they will increase their scholarship numbers substantially.

Do you agree or disagree with this course of action?

I don't see this being a positive for big ten basketball. I don't see any reason why a top 25 recruit, potential 1 and done, would go there and I think a lot of top 150-top 200 recruits will look the other way because they'll be guaranteed to not get any playing time in year 1.

Maybe this is part of Jim Delany's plan to move the Big Ten to Div. 3. That would be the only logical reason to put in a dumb rule such as this and since he has said in the past that he would move the Big Ten to Div. 3...

Delany has said that he will not implement the change unless the rest of the power conferences comply.

I truly doubt this rule will come to pass.

I think he sees the SEC & ACC as a threat because of their academic standards compared to the Big 10's. If this new rule is approved, KY & Duke will no longer be the dominant programs they are now. At least from a basketball standpoint.

His angle is simple they will increase the number of ships from 13 in basketball to 20 or more to field a freshman team and take players away from the AAC, BE , A10 etc.

And who would play against this Freshman team?

Div-2, Div-3, JUCO teams? Only Big-10 teams? Would they play for a Frosh National Title? Or only play a 13 game season since they are the only ones doing this? Or would they just sit in the gym holding their jock straps saying "yeah, next year... when we can, maybe play, unless we're behind all the upperclassmen."?

Last edited:
And who would play against this Freshman team?

Div-2, Div-3, JUCO teams? Only Big-10 teams? Would they play for a Frosh National Title? Or only play a 13 game season since they are the only ones doing this? Or would they just sit in the gym holding their jock straps saying "yeah, next year... when we can, maybe play, unless we're behind all the upperclassmen."?
And that's part of why it will never happen. It makes zero sense. But of course it came from a man who has personally profited as much as anybody in college athletics. In some weird twisted way, I'm sure Jim Delany thinks this will result in a personal profit as well. Thankfully, the mass majority of the country knows this idea is insane.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT