ADVERTISEMENT

Getting on his good side

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Think the NY papers are fawning just a little on Chris Mullin. LOL

Like with most new coaches he is seen as a breath of fresh air and is now enjoying his honeymoon period.

More Mullin magic: Jordan, Obekpa returning to St. John’s
By Howie Kussoy

April 23, 2015 | 2:52am

sju.jpg

Rysheed Jordan (left) and Chris Obekpa will return to St. John's and play for new coach Chris Mullin. Photo: Getty Images; Neil Miller

Three weeks into his tenure as coach at St. John’s, Chris Mullin continues to reward his alma mater for its optimism.

After securing multiple player commitments — and the even more important additions of assistant coaches Barry “Slice” Rohrssen and Matt Abdelmassih to his staff — Mullin confirmed Wednesday night Rysheed Jordan will return to the Red Storm for his junior season, along with soon-to-be senior Chris Obekpa.

Though both players have had multiple disciplinary issues during their time at St. John’s, Mullin said Obekpa and Jordan have been “a pleasure dealing with so far,” during workouts over the past week.

Jordan and Obekpa will be the only players from this past season’s six-man rotation to return, with D’Angelo Harrison, Sir’Dominic Pointer, Phil Greene and Jamal Branch all graduating.

Jordan, the team’s most talented playmaker, was St. John’s second-leading scorer (14.1 points) and leader in assists (3.1), while Obekpa, the Red Storm’s defensive centerpiece, blocked 3.1 shots per game and also averaged seven rebounds.

“My thought with that, much like when you walk into a new situation as I did in the NBA, is that everything is from the first day forward, a clean slate and we forge our relationship from that day on,” Mullin said Wednesday night at the Metropolitan Basketball Writers awards dinner in Tarrytown. “I didn’t really sell them. I told them what I told you. ‘I’m here, I’m new. Whatever has happened in the past, good or bad, is in the past and we move forward.’ ”

Having been thrown into a new position in a new environment, Mullin has had no time to settle in, and despite all that’s been accomplished on paper, Mullin said he doesn’t feel like he has achieved anything yet.

“I’m always looking toward wins and losses,” Mullin said. “But in building from the ground up, I’m really happy about the staff additions. Starting where we did a few weeks ago, getting Barry and Matt was huge for me because I need guys with experience in the college basketball world, and they’ve been at every different level.

“Getting those guys with me right away has helped lead me because it’s all new to me. Each and every day has been a new adventure, so, having guys with experience has helped. I’ve got to really be patient with myself because things are being thrown at me. I don’t know what’s going on. I have to figure it out on the fly.”

Mullin said he is determining what additional staff positions need to be filled, relying on Rohrssen and Abdelmassih as “sounding boards.”

But back in his old dribbling grounds, Mullin said the feeling has been “natural,” and he has received warm welcomes from coaches throughout the city.

The Hall of Famer has needed no introduction when trying to land recruits who were born long after his prime as a player, but are dreaming of being where he was for 16 years.

“A lot of these kids — I don’t know if that’s changed, maybe they’re a little more verbal — a lot of their dreams are to play in the NBA [and] they want that secret how to play in the NBA,” Mullin said. “I know I can help them with their dream as far as navigating the right way to train, skill development, things like that, to reach their fullest potential.”

People in NYC have always loved Mullin since his SJU days. He's always been a figure everybody remembered. He's liked because he's he exact opposite of Lavin in most ways, and that's not s knock on Lavin.

Mullin has always been known as the hardest worker in the nba in his time there. Salt of the earth guy who beat alcoholism to become a hall of famer. Mullin loves SJU, loves NYC and has a work ethic like few others. SJU fans can't ask for much more. SJU has gone all-in with the new President to support him. I give them credit.

The timing of the article is I think more purposeful than than that though. It was released same time as SJU snuck in for a second visit with Cheick Diallo. I don't think it is a coincidence that Mullin publicly confirmed Rysheed Jordan's return at same time as they were meeting with Diallo. Diallo has made it known that he wants to play with a team with a good PG. SJU squashed the PG issues yesterday so there was no question and they are still recruiting Mussini.

%7E

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

St. John’s Signs Williams, Owens and Mvouika

Red Storm Receives Commitments from Darien Williams, Tariq Owens and Ron Mvouika
Web Release: http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/042315aab.html

QUEENS, N.Y. (April 23, 2015) – St. John’s head coach Chris Mullin received commitments from Darien Williams (San Francisco, Calif.), Tariq Owens (Odenton, Md.) and Ron Mvouika (Paris, France) as all three student-athletes have officially signed with the Red Storm. Williams, a 6-foot-8 junior college transfer, and Mvouika, a 6-foot-6 graduate transfer, will be available for the 2015-16 season. The 6-foot-10 Owens comes to St. John’s from Tennessee, and per NCAA transfer regulations, he must complete one full academic year of residency before competing for the Red Storm.

“Darien, Tariq and Ron are part of the new foundation we are in the process of building for our program,” said St. John’s first year head coach Chris Mullin. “These three players add a mix of size, skill and athleticism to our roster, and they all have experience at the collegiate level, which will help offset the graduation of our five-member senior class.”

Williams averaged 16.1 points and 6.7 rebounds in 2013-14 at Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs, Iowa, playing for longtime head coach Jim Morris. He comes to St. John’s with three seasons of eligibility remaining after sitting out this past year at City College of San Francisco while recovering from shoulder surgery. During his freshman season at Iowa Western Community College, Williams collected All-Region XI honors and ICCAC Academic All-Region XI recognition. He scored double-figures in 21 games, while shooting 51.2 percent from the field and 41.1 percent from 3-point range.

“We are excited to welcome Darien to the St. John’s basketball program,” said Mullin. “He can make an immediate impact next season with his length and ability to shoot the ball. Darien is a versatile player with great character who we believe will represent the program well.”

Williams attended St. John Bosco in Bellflower, Calif., where he helped lead his high school squad to the 2013 California Interscholastic Federation Southern Section (CIFSS) Championship as a senior under head coach Derrick Taylor. The All-Area honoree averaged over eight points and nearly six rebounds playing alongside UCLA guard Isaac Hamilton and his younger brother Daniel Hamilton who plays for Connecticut. Williams was a member of the Dream Vision AAU program.

Owens appeared in 28 games at Tennessee as a freshman, starting five contests and was first off the bench six times. He averaged 7.6 minutes per game and tied for third on the team in blocks (13), including eight in SEC play. Owens started four of 17 SEC appearances and averaged 1.3 points and 1.2 rebounds for the season. In the SEC Tournament quarterfinals against Arkansas, Owens scored a season-high seven points and had three rebounds.

“Our staff looks forward to coaching Tariq,” said Mullin. “He will add a new dimension to our roster with his size and motor on the court. Tariq has a reputation of being a hard worker so we are excited to aid in his development as a player.”

The 210-pound big man was rated the eighth-best prospect in Maryland coming out of high school. He attended St. Vincent Pallotti High School in Laurel, Md., before spending his post-graduate year at Mt. Zion Prep School in Baltimore playing for head coach Rodrick Harrison. Owens played AAU ball for Baltimore’s Finest program.

A graduate transfer from Missouri State, Mvouika appeared in 31 games as a junior in 2013-14, starting nine, and finished fourth on the team in scoring (6.8) and third in rebounding (3.6). He was second on the squad dishing out 54 assists and shot 39.7 percent from 3-point territory. Mvouika averaged 5.5 points in two games for the Bears in 2014-15 before suffering an injury that sidelined him for the rest of the season.

Mvouika spent his first two collegiate seasons at Sheridan College in Wyoming playing for head coach Steve Smiley where he averaged 19.3 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.6 assists as a sophomore. He was a NJCAA All-Region IX first team honoree in 2012-13 and helped Sheridan to a 24-7 overall record and a Region IX North title. Mvouika averaged 9.4 points, 4.9 rebounds and 1.8 assists as a freshman helping Sheridan to a 25-7 record.

“Ron’s veteran leadership will be important for our team next season,” said Mullin. “He has a knack for scoring and ability to make shots at a high percentage. We are glad he chose St. John’s to continue his education and pursue a graduate degree.”

Mvouika played for Rob Fulford at Huntington Prep (W. Va.), and prior to his arrival in the United States he averaged 25 points, five rebounds and six assists at the Canarias Basketball Academy in Spain where he played his first three high school years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT