ADVERTISEMENT

Gibbs to Huskies

No surprise there
The college hoops gods hate me. Lol. I grew up a UConn fan, went there for a semester before transferring to SHU. My Senior year they won their first national championship. And after winning another two since that's where our best player transfers to. Can't make it up. Hopefully some good news re: Gordon will come out soon to take the sting off but not holding my breath.

I have been saying this for 2 months now. Inspite of all his his tweets and all the nay sayers here on this board. His trip to Storrs was no joy ride.

Reactions: shupat08
Man i hope he doesnt go off on us in the event we face uconn in the tournament... HAHA!

PirateSal called this one awhile back. He has the most spot on info on this board.

I'm just waiting for the "Willard and Lyons are goners" post from him.

We will get a lot of publicity every time he's on the court : . " Sterling Gibbs, the transfer from Seton Hall..."

Love the possible dig on Willard in Gibbs' quote:

“It’s a great opportunity to be able to come into a veteran team with a great coach and have the chance to make an impact,” Gibbs told SNY.tv. “The tradition of UConn and their guards speaks for itself.”

Then the father states that we were not a good fit and a mistake:

Asked what they would be looking for in a new school, Temple Gibbs, the player’s father, said, “We only have one year, it’s gotta be a great fit for him. We can’t make a mistake on this.”

“It’s a great opportunity to be able to come into a veteran team with a great coach and have the chance to make an impact,” Gibbs told SNY.tv. “The tradition of UConn and their guards speaks for itself.”

Asked what they would be looking for in a new school, Temple Gibbs, the player’s father, said, “We only have one year, it’s gotta be a great fit for him. We can’t make a mistake on this.”
Guess Maryland was a mistake. And Texas was a mistake. And now Seton Hall was a mistake.

If UConn had such great tradition with their guards then why didn't daddy Temple suggest Sterling go there in the first place? After all he certainly had his say in the three years his son was here.

Guess Maryland was a mistake. And Texas was a mistake. And now Seton Hall was a mistake.

If UConn had such great tradition with their guards then why didn't daddy Temple suggest Sterling go there in the first place? After all he certainly had his say in the three years his son was here.

And if Gibbs is not a first round pick , UConn will be a mistake. There's a huge difference in parents providing guidance and counseling in helping their children make their college choice and micro-managing every move of that process .

Gibbs should be grateful to Seton Hall. He emerged here as an impact player after an awful year at Texas, where he was something less than a role player. Give our coaching staff credit where it is due. They really helped develop Gibbs into a very good player

And if Gibbs is not a first round pick , UConn will be a mistake. There's a huge difference in parents providing guidance and counseling in helping their children make their college choice and micro-managing every move of that process .
Do you think Gibbs has an even outside shot at being a first round pick? I don't see him getting drafted but could probably have a decent career in Europe.

Will be interesting to see if the grass is greener for Sterling at UConn. Good luck to him.

If Dan means to intimate that the Gibbs family was a pain these three years, Willard has no chance of ever managing personalities if the Gibbs family was too much for him.

Reactions: SHUSource
If Dan means to intimate that the Gibbs family was a pain these three years, Willard has no chance of ever managing personalities if the Gibbs family was too much for him.
Keep reading more and more references to this. Let's get Gordon and move on. Probably for the better.

As far as managing a locker room, that ship has probably sailed for Willard, so why can't an assistant step up?

He does not say what you said. No where in there does it say Seton Hall was not a good fit. That's your interpretation.

Good riddance. He's so overrated.

Can't wait to see the Hall have a dream season this year without him while he's on a 14-17 UConn team that loses in the first round of the American tourney.

Can't wait to see the Hall have a dream season this year without him while he's on a 14-17 UConn team that loses in the first round of the American tourney.
Off the top of my head I think Uconn is probably a bubble team. They lose boatwright. Gain Gibbs and I believe one solid guard recruit.

Do you think Gibbs has an even outside shot at being a first round pick? I don't see him getting drafted but could probably have a decent career in Europe.

Phi
The justification for Gibbs' choice of UConn is that Ollie is known for his ability to develop guards that wind up inthe first round of the NBA draft, however I personally don't see that at all.

Phi
The justification for Gibbs' choice of UConn is that Ollie is known for his ability to develop guards that wind up inthe first round of the NBA draft, however I personally don't see that at all.
Is that documented on Twitter or anywhere ? Either way, if that's the case he's really being poorly micromanaged as mentioned above. I just don't see it but hopefully he proves me wrong.

Off the top of my head I think Uconn is probably a bubble team. They lose boatwright. Gain Gibbs and I believe one solid guard recruit.
Looks like they added a top 75 big as well. They'll be starting two 6'1, shoot first guards.

I actually like Gibbs. He was a great interview. Very well spoken, friendly and didn't duck questions. Plus he was our best player last season so what I noted above wasn't sour grapes.

Now of course I am not happy he left and maybe he might have been able to handle the situation a little better but that's not a big deal as far as I am concerned. But if dad is going to get snarky with his comments knowing that he was vocal while his son was here then a rebuttal is necessary.

Maybe taking a cue from Jaren Sina's dad Mergin who said little beyond his son wanting to look elsewhere is a better tack than slyly criticizing the 3rd school you committed to and then left in a four year period.

I actually like Gibbs. He was a great interview. Very well spoken, friendly and didn't duck questions. Plus he was our best player last season so what I noted above wasn't sour grapes.

Now of course I am not happy he left and maybe he might have been able to handle the situation a little better but that's not a big deal as far as I am concerned. But if dad is going to get snarky with his comments knowing that he was vocal while his son was here then a rebuttal is necessary.

Maybe taking a cue from Jaren Sina's dad Mergin who said little beyond his son wanting to look elsewhere is a better tack than slyly criticizing the 3rd school you committed to and then left in a four year period.
Can't disagree with this Dan, other than I think mergin sina could have handled it better as well. He blatantly called attention to our locker room situation in public, which I think could have been avoided.

Bottom line, How did Sterling Gibbs play at Texas? and how much did his game improve in his 2 yrs at Seton Hall, if you decide to move on at least be thankful for Seton Hall helping to improve your game. The comments made were not necessary.

My 2 cents on Gibbs. He was our best player and he gave us some of our best wins. But regarding the parents, I'm with Dan. I was in the Virgin Islands at the tournament and sat next to Mrs Gibbs during the 2nd game. The team was winning handily and there were good feelings all around. She did not have one good thing to say about the coaching, the coach, the team even though Stirling was playing out of his mind and playing 30+ minutes a game. She only had something good to say when Stirling was scoring. All parents want the best for their kids but that experience stayed with me.

Gibbs was far from overrated. Seton Hall is far from a place that actual good players want to be. He tried it and he left. Look at how our first McD AA is going... not really shocking the world is he? Im glad these kids choose SHU, but if you want to win dont come here. It wont end well. Countless players I love leave empty handed without a sniff at the tournament. It sucks.

My 2 cents on Gibbs. He was our best player and he gave us some of our best wins. But regarding the parents, I'm with Dan. I was in the Virgin Islands at the tournament and sat next to Mrs Gibbs during the 2nd game. The team was winning handily and there were good feelings all around. She did not have one good thing to say about the coaching, the coach, the team even though Stirling was playing out of his mind and playing 30+ minutes a game. She only had something good to say when Stirling was scoring. All parents want the best for their kids but that experience stayed with me.

My two cents, which is probably only slightly more valuable than that of our friend from Wisconsin, or OH, or wherever he's from:

On The Court:
- Obviously some major clutch moments, especially against Nova (for which I'm eternally grateful)
- Good handle and penetrator
- Decent finisher but needs to figure out the bizarre FT yip situations from the line as the season wears on, esp. if he's going to be in more high leverage situations at UConn
- Sub-par on the ball defender
- Great 3-point shooter but a shoot-first player in a PG's body
- Improved as a distributor in his 2 years here

Miscellaneous:
- Chippy attitude that led to multiple technicals and suspensions, and terrible body language and relationship with KW and teammates (lot of blame to go around here from what I've witnessed and read)
- Didn't appear to have a leader's mentality. Just speculation but seems like he resented the incoming freshman and could have done a better job trying to galvanize the upper classmen with the new guys (Willard's decision for not naming captains was bizarre but not an excuse here IMO, nor was the equally bizarre decision to not send him to BE media day but true leaders rise above those snubs)
- External factors like his family's over-involvement exacerbated things from what I can tell.

This is all just from a combination of what I witnessed personally and read on this board from what I consider knowledgeable posters.

pretty much sums up Willard's tenure here. Gibbs was best recruit/transfer that he got into the program and then the player ultimately transferred out of the program. Gibbs might have been 1st team BE this year if he stayed. And now we are blaming Sterling's dad for why Sterling is leaving. Give me a break. I'm so tired of the excuses with this basketball program every single year. Just admit that wins and losses don't matter here anymore. The excuses are beyond nauseating now.

Reactions: Shuathelete
pretty much sums up Willard's tenure here. Gibbs was best recruit/transfer that he got into the program and then the player ultimately transferred out of the program. Gibbs might have been 1st team BE this year if he stayed. And now we are blaming Sterling's dad for why Sterling is leaving. Give me a break. I'm so tired of the excuses with this basketball program every single year. Just admit that wins and losses don't matter here anymore. The excuses are beyond nauseating now.
BINGO... and i think sterling should have been 1st team this year

Bottom line, How did Sterling Gibbs play at Texas? and how much did his game improve in his 2 yrs at Seton Hall, if you decide to move on at least be thankful for Seton Hall helping to improve your game. The comments made were not necessary.
His play at Seton Hall is exactly what was expected of him out of SHP. His numbers at Texas were more a reflection of a lack of playing time. He was what he was supposed to be at Seton Hall, an outstanding guard.

You realize that Gibbs is responsible for the only moments of real celebration we've had over the past two seasons, right? I know Whitehead was "the show" in the win over Rutgers (which was not a good team), but really, in terms of clutch, last-second shots against big teams, have we had anyone else get it done?

I shudder to think how bad we would've been without Gibbs the last two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT