ADVERTISEMENT

Griffin, Ewing, Hurley....

Hallisthebest

All Big East
Mar 3, 2003
Sorry guys I am done, we need a change and we need it now. This is my list. Comment as you will but I think one of these three men is the answer.

Adrian Griffin-SHU alum, Chicago Bulls Asst, NBA playing career, Wife is a SHU alum.

Patrick Ewing-Listen before you judge, the man has been an Asst forever he is dying for a head coaching job, I know a large contingent of G-town people who would love him to be their asst but will never get rid of JTIII, go out of the Box, Big Man, Match St Johns with some BE nostalgia and get strong assistants around him, plus what big man wouldn't want to come learn from one of the best big men to ever play?

Danny Hurley-It's been discussed why already.

Bottom Line- A change needs to happen ASAP

I have been intrigued with the idea of a guy like Ewing who is chomping at the bit and adds instant credibility. However, he can't get a job to save his life and there just may be a good reason for that.

But if you gamble and hire someone like Ewing or Griffin, you cannot penny pinch on assistants. Team them up with Barry Rohrsen and Matt Abdelmissah and I'd probably get excited.

Danny Hurley is THE candidate. Need to be hyper focused. Go after him with all guns, and pursue with full vigor.

Never say never......

I didn't think Bobby would have gone out west to Arizona and he did.

Griffin could always be an option at the end of the NBA playoffs, rather start with a new coach late in the game then...well you know.

Reactions: mga pirate
Danny Hurley is off the table, Ewing would be a horrible candidate, and who really knows of Griffin other than die-hard Seton Hall fans?

We are in big trouble with our next coach. Willard has no choice but to get another guard in here this year to replace Gibbs. Odds are that we are not going to be very good next year and Willard will be gone. Any decent coach is going to want to be able to bring in recruits to turn things around. He will only have one available to him. Plus the shape of the program Willard will leave behind is not going to be very enticing. If we were ever going to get a decent coach this would have been the year. I expect Lyons will pursue Hurley and Hurley will decline. If Hurley has a nice year he will see a bigger, better program than SHU without all the baggage the Willard will leave behind.

Reactions: mga pirate
I have stated this before, by not firing Willard this year, Seton Hall will be in complete rebuild mode. We will have to get used of an idea of not getting a name coach for sure.We will be left with names like Engles, Adrian Griffin, and other low level candidates. There is no home run candidate out there for us next year.

Can Engles be that unknown quality coach? Maybe, he has really done a very good job at NJIT. Maybe Andy Toole at Robert Morris? Or maybe the coach at Louisiana Tech? Maybe Kevin Boyle?

Seton Hall needs to get creative next coaching hire. I would love to see Bob Mckillop come here with Adrian Griffin as coach in waiting.

Whatever happens don't expect that name coach like Danny Hurley to get the job. This program is on the edge of basketball relevancy.

I have stated this before, by not firing Willard this year, Seton Hall will be in complete rebuild mode. We will have to get used of an idea of not getting a name coach for sure.We will be left with names like Engles, Adrian Griffin, and other low level candidates. There is no home run candidate out there for us next year.

Can Engles be that unknown quality coach? Maybe, he has really done a very good job at NJIT. Maybe Andy Toole at Robert Morris? Or maybe the coach at Louisiana Tech? Maybe Kevin Boyle?

Seton Hall needs to get creative next coaching hire. I would love to see Bob Mckillop come here with Adrian Griffin as coach in waiting.

Whatever happens don't expect that name coach like Danny Hurley to get the job. This program is on the edge of basketball relevancy.

While the central question remains as to who our next coach will be I must admit that , at this point in time I don't have any great confidence in the decision makers at Seton Hall to get it right nor do I believe they value how important it is to get it right.

I agree with basically everyone and thought he should have been fired on his way into the BET and then the Marq game sealed the deal...I thought...however the only thing i disagree with is the idea "we are in so much trouble with the next hire" logic. Even if we fired him the day after the BET we would not have attracted the types of names some here think and any time a coach is fired it is a rebuild mode.

Most applauded the DePaul move and look who they hired. They went after the hot shot Hurley failed and went with a very under the radar hire and kind of got killed around boards for it. We would have been the same then now or next year.

The other point is that either we get the right coach or we dont. If Griffin is going to be the "right guy" than it is going to work. Whether the name is big or who you like is irrelevant. It either works because the guy is right for the job or it doesn't.

Also, I will say for the 10th time (and ill be killed by the 10th time) but fire him today and try to bring in Cluess.

I agree with basically everyone and thought he should have been fired on his way into the BET and then the Marq game sealed the deal...I thought...however the only thing i disagree with is the idea "we are in so much trouble with the next hire" logic. Even if we fired him the day after the BET we would not have attracted the types of names some here think and any time a coach is fired it is a rebuild mode.

Most applauded the DePaul move and look who they hired. They went after the hot shot Hurley failed and went with a very under the radar hire and kind of got killed around boards for it. We would have been the same then now or next year.

The other point is that either we get the right coach or we dont. If Griffin is going to be the "right guy" than it is going to work. Whether the name is big or who you like is irrelevant. It either works because the guy is right for the job or it doesn't.

Also, I will say for the 10th time (and ill be killed by the 10th time) but fire him today and try to bring in Cluess.
First, I do not like the way Cluess coaches. No defense spells disaster in the Big East. Second, no more people, players, coaches or administrators from Iona.

Danny Hurley is off the table, Ewing would be a horrible candidate, and who really knows of Griffin other than die-hard Seton Hall fans?

Since you're plugged in more than most, this is going to sound like a silly question: why is Hurley "off the table?" Surely not because of his contract extension at URI. Have any feelers been sent out and rebuffed?

First, I do not like the way Cluess coaches. No defense spells disaster in the Big East. Second, no more people, players, coaches or administrators from Iona.

I understand the lack of defense is a major issue. I like that he has won at multiple levels seems to have local media on his side. Has a defined system and can add pieces to it without relying on super recruiting year in and year out. But like I said I knew I would be killed for it.

However, the Iona thing is extremely logically flawed and should (I hope) have zero to do with the decision

If I had to make a move, I know all will say it is nuts and he isn't ready. But I give Sha a chance. After these two clowns, how could he possibly be worse. Maybe we need a young guy not hung up in the ways he has learned from others who just wants to coach hoops and run a good program.

Reactions: anon_x0d8d0dquuo4t
Since you're plugged in more than most, this is going to sound like a silly question: why is Hurley "off the table?" Surely not because of his contract extension at URI. Have any feelers been sent out and rebuffed?

The extension plus he's not interested. Let's just say the more things change at Seton Hall, the more they stay the same, read into that what you'd like.

I also don't think he'll be jumping at offers that might come his way from P5 schools.

SETON HALL: We like it when we win, we don't care when we lose!

we've gone through potential lists of candidates before. Now that the carousel has slowed down bc it's May, let's see who is still available, realistic, and would improve us. The list that started off this thread only includes obvious and/or local choices. This is a big country with plenty of successful DI coaches that we could at the very least interview:

Michael White at La Tech

Larry Eustachy at Co State (sure plenty of past baggage, but the guy's been a winner almost everywhere & his name's been floated for a bunch of jobs since he turned Co State around)

Danny Hurley

Andy Toole at Robert Morris (although all these transfers this season worry me)

Adrian Griffin

Billy Donlon at Wright State

Ben Jacobsen at Northern Iowa (doubtful he'd leave for a program like ours, but u gotta try)

Leon Rice at Boise State

If Washington fired Lorenzo Romar after this coming season, I'd even be thrilled for that even coming off the firing. Certainly would be an improvement over what we have even if the glory days are over for him at Washington.

Dan Muller at Illinois State is someone to keep your eye on if they make the tourney this season. I doubt he'd leave his alma mater for US, but u gotta try.

If I had to make a move, I know all will say it is nuts and he isn't ready. But I give Sha a chance. After these two clowns, how could he possibly be worse. Maybe we need a young guy not hung up in the ways he has learned from others who just wants to coach hoops and run a good program.
I loved Sha as a player. But, there are way too many better options even if they are low level options. Sha was an assistant for Gonzo and Willard. That is not what I call good mentors.

The extension plus he's not interested. Let's just say the more things change at Seton Hall, the more they stay the same, read into that what you'd like.

I also don't think he'll be jumping at offers that might come his way from P5 schools.

SETON HALL: We like it when we win, we don't care when we lose!
we've gone through potential lists of candidates before. Now that the carousel has slowed down bc it's May, let's see who is still available, realistic, and would improve us. The list that started off this thread only includes obvious and/or local choices. This is a big country with plenty of successful DI coaches that we could at the very least interview:

Michael White at La Tech

Larry Eustachy at Co State (sure plenty of past baggage, but the guy's been a winner almost everywhere & his name's been floated for a bunch of jobs since he turned Co State around)

Danny Hurley

Andy Toole at Robert Morris (although all these transfers this season worry me)
Speaking with a personal friend of Danny's he says SHU lost i

Adrian Griffin

Billy Donlon at Wright State

Ben Jacobsen at Northern Iowa (doubtful he'd leave for a program like ours, but u gotta try)

Leon Rice at Boise State

If Washington fired Lorenzo Romar after this coming season, I'd even be thrilled for that even coming off the firing. Certainly would be an improvement over what we have even if the glory days are over for him at Washington.

Dan Muller at Illinois State is someone to keep your eye on if they make the tourney this season. I doubt he'd leave his alma mater for US, but u gotta try.

Cluess has way to high of a buyout close to 3 million. On top of that Pat will not go back to Iona to grab another coach it will not happen that is "Done". For those of you questioning if Pat can hire a good coach. Look at almost every other higher he has made at SHU. He has done an outstanding job!

Speaking with a personal friend of Danny's we lost our chance with him at the last hiring.
At best it would be a lateral move for him. But, considering where he has URI it would almost seem
like step down.
Curious with Gibbs and Sina does this have anything to do with the Lincoln combo??

Seton75. If we have to make a change, I would give Sha a chance. He played at Seton Hall, has been very loyal, would really want to win-SHU is his school, has worked hard on the recruiting trail, established recruiting ties for 5 yrs- could then be the closer for these recruits.

For those of you questioning if Pat can hire a good coach. Look at almost every other higher he has made at SHU. He has done an outstanding job![/QUOTE]
I hope you are right. Bozzella looks like a good hire. The W Golf coach has been here since 2010, and the volleyball coach since 2012. Did he hire either? Shepard was here. The Wsoc coach was hired by Pat and the softball coach too, but those teams are not very good. What other successful coach at SHU has he hired?

Cluess has way to high of a buyout close to 3 million.

No he doesn't, that is beyond a RIDICULOUS statement!!! His all-in salary is ~$350,000 and his buyout is a very small fraction of your amount.

I loved Sha as a player. But, there are way too many better options even if they are low level options. Sha was an assistant for Gonzo and Willard. That is not what I call good mentors.
They are great mentors. Do what they didn't do and you are golden...

I want a SHU guy as our coach. How do we know anyone is a better option? It is all opinion.

Seton 75 A Seton Hall guy is important to me. Sha has established many recruiting contacts in the last 5 yrs.

Seton 75 A Seton Hall guy is important to me. Sha has established many recruiting contacts in the last 5 yrs.
I have finally come to my senses. I hope we hire Phil Sellers......................

Speaking with a personal friend of Danny's we lost our chance with him at the last hiring.
At best it would be a lateral move for him. But, considering where he has URI it would almost seem
like step down.
Curious with Gibbs and Sina does this have anything to do with the Lincoln combo??

Not that I'd read into this much, but there's a lot of love being shown between IW, DR and Gibbs on Twitter today. Of course that's easy to do when you know you won't be teammates anymore.

Joe Dooley is on the top of my shortlist if/when we make a change. I'd love Ewing, if for anything but vanity reasons; maybe he'd bring Orr on as an assistant. I can't see Hurley coming here but it doesn't mean I wouldn't want him.

Who has Sha landed with these great recruiting contacts? He played with, coached with or played for Kevin Boyle, the current Head Coach at St.Pats, the current Head Coach at Hudson Catholic. Those three schools have produced a ton of D1 players and we/Sha have not gotten a single player from them. Is it Willard's fault? I'm sure it mostly is Willard's fault but being close to those guys you would have to figure they would at least throw him a bone. They have not. That, and the fact that he has coached under Willard and Gonzo would make me pass on him. I would love for him to leave today. Go to a big time winner and come back next year when Willard gets canned.

No he doesn't, that is beyond a RIDICULOUS statement!!! His all-in salary is ~$350,000 and his buyout is a very small fraction of your amount.

Thanks, this is good to know. There is one buyout I am most interested in. Last I heard, you said $1.4/850. Are you able to release your revised number?

Cluess has way to high of a buyout close to 3 million. On top of that Pat will not go back to Iona to grab another coach it will not happen that is "Done". For those of you questioning if Pat can hire a good coach. Look at almost every other higher he has made at SHU. He has done an outstanding job!
Nothing else really matter if the flagship program is a disaster...

You could look at it that way, but I look at it this way.... he now knows how not to coach plus Sha would know how to control his players.

Thanks, this is good to know. There is one buyout I am most interested in. Last I heard, you said $1.4/850. Are you able to release your revised number?

Did I ever actually say it was $1.4/$850? That's what I heard and supposed it was but many others say it is much higher, like over $3.5 now and almost $2.5 after next season, which is another beyond RIDICULOUS buyout!!! If the latter numbers are correct, he's not going anywhere after next year either!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT