ADVERTISEMENT

Honest question about reffing (I come in peace I swear):

Mar 14, 2021
A lot of the RU fans (myself included) thought the game was called inconsistently.

It seemed to us that the refs where calling touch fouls on us time-after-time and allowed your defenders to bump our guys repeatedly. And, that this uneven officiating helped shu stay within reach in the second half (particularly when shu went on a scoring drought you were getting to the line via touch fouls). Again , the perspective from many RU fans

As the opposing fanbase - do you think there is any validity to this? Do you think the RU fans have a point?

OR

Did you see the exact opposite (did SHU get hosed by the refs?)

or maybe you feel the refs had no impact either way ?

I ask this because I am honestly curious how opposing fanbases observe the same game

Objective feedback appreciated

Last edited:
I thought the officiating tonight was a total non-factor, which is about as much as you can hope for. One or two things each way made me raise an eyebrow, which is typical. You guys might have just had them under more of a magnifying glass under the circumstances.
Agreed.

Also, Seton Hall was finding some success in the second half driving the ball and getting physical in the paint which were legit fouls. But we kept trading 2's for 3's given Rutgers' unusually great shooting night from 3.

Reactions: RedTeam1994
I thought over all the game was called just fine. I watch a lot of games and this includes teams from around the US and officiating is almost always NOT perfect with calls being made that should not be and then there is contact and NO call.

Kadary was called for palming the ball and that is almost never called since if you watch how guys dribble the ball these days it could and should be called 10 times a game. Since that is almost never called kids do it all the time knowing they can get away with it.

Appreciate the input thus far

I wonder if RU fans are particularly sensitive since apparently the wake game wasn’t called evenly (I couldn’t watch the game so can’t comment) but even the radio guys were commenting on the officiating- time after time

So I wonder if the RU fans were overly sensitive as in “here we go again”

Personally I have a tendency to whine about the officiating during the game and then afterwards can objectively reflect whether the officiating was actually that bad.

As much as I whined during the game - last night was hardly the worst.

Yeah there was a few minute stretch there in the second half (when we were pulling away) when they DID call like 3-4 touch fouls on us (and then on the other side of the court let your guys bump and reach) but that was only like a 5 minute stretch and didn’t result in too many points for you so ultimately it didn’t affect the game much.

Reactions: SHUSource
The game was officiated as well as any game I have seen all year.

Rutgers fans have a terrible habit of whining about whistles in most every game. The better team won last night by 7 points and it had absolutely nothing to do with the referees.

This isn’t directed at you, but any RU fan whining about the refs genuinely has no idea about the game of basketball…

First half foul discrepancies were because y’all were on fire from 3. If refs were calling fouls on cliff blocks then maybe we have a discussion but reffing really wasn’t an issue.., thinking back on it too, I didn’t think it was all that physical of a game for a rivalry like this.

Refs were a non-factor. There are always close calls that the fans of that team will be pissed about, but I do t even remember too many of them.

This isn’t directed at you, but any RU fan whining about the refs genuinely has no idea about the game of basketball…

First half foul discrepancies were because y’all were on fire from 3. If refs were calling fouls on cliff blocks then maybe we have a discussion but reffing really wasn’t an issue.., thinking back on it too, I didn’t think it was all that physical of a game for a rivalry like this.

FWIW - The whining that I saw was about the reffing was in the second half (not the first).

I agree the reffing wasnt bad

I’m getting the impression here that the types of calls / non-calls that RU fans were complaining about are the types that opposing fans would naturally disagree on

The touch fouls they call on us: You have no reaction since technically they were fouls (except for one on Gavin that was horse shit ;)) but our reaction is “are you seriously calling THAT?”

Then on the other end. You guys see defense and there is always some contact in defense that goes uncalled all game (as it should). But we see our guys getting bumped (when we are getting called for less on the other end). It seemed to us

It wasn’t obvious uncalled hacks or horrible uncalled walks or obvious out-of-bounds calls that went the wrong way

So I’m not surprised you guys see it the other way - and I’m not going to try convince you otherwise (since I’m not sure you’re wrong ;)

Anyway. Thx for participating.

Most fan bases do that do a degree. But for the most part I think those on this board are very practical with a few exceptions.

Red colored glasses, refs were fine. Reality is a team taking the ball into the paint is going to get fouled more than one that scores the majority of its points from the arc. If anything, the foul discrepancy actually helped RU because a foul for them was effectively a stop lol

I visit quite a few boards & Rutgers has by far the whiniest fans when it comes to officiating, the selection committee, the B10 making them play a home game at the garden, etc.

I visit quite a few boards & Rutgers has by far the whiniest fans when it comes to officiating, the selection committee, the B10 making them play a home game at the garden, etc.

Not gonna argue with you

But I do question your observation regarding the selection committee. Personally I think most RU fans think we got what we deserved (including being left out last year). But I’m sure there were a few vocal whiners.

There is a small group of the same posters on this site who always seem to call out the refs during Seton Hall games. This group was very quiet last night so, in addition to what I saw, I think the game was called well.

A lot of the RU fans (myself included) thought the game was called inconsistently.

It seemed to us that the refs where calling touch fouls on us time-after-time and allowed your defenders to bump our guys repeatedly. And, that this uneven officiating helped shu stay within reach in the second half (particularly when shu went on a scoring drought you were getting to the line via touch fouls). Again , the perspective from many RU fans

As the opposing fanbase - do you think there is any validity to this? Do you think the RU fans have a point?

OR

Did you see the exact opposite (did SHU get hosed by the refs?)

or maybe you feel the refs had no impact either way ?

I ask this because I am honestly curious how opposing fanbases observe the same game

Objective feedback appreciated
We hosed ourselves by not showing up. At one point your big guy was swinging off the rim which should have resulted in a T but nothing was called. Wouldn’t have helped us anyway because we would have missed the damn free throws. Refs weren’t a factor. Us missing shots and leaving your guys wide open for threes is what decided this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT