ADVERTISEMENT

Italian guard to Mussini to SJU

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

%7E

St. John’s Inks Italian Prospect Federico Mussini

Red Storm Receives Commitment From 6-Foot-1 Point Guard

Web release: http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062915aaa.html

QUEENS, N.Y. (June 29, 2015) – Head Coach Chris Mullin has received a commitment from highly-touted Italian point guard Federico Mussini, who will attend St. John’s and play basketball for the Red Storm next season. The 6-foot-1 prospect, who hails from Reggio Emilia, Italy, is considered one of the top point guards in Europe, according to major recruiting services. He is rated as high as No. 13 for his class according to EuroHopes.com.

Mussini recently played for Grissin Bon Reggio Emilia of the Italian League’s first division, where he averaged nearly five points during the 2014-15 season. He recorded 8.2 points per game in 10 appearances at the 2015 EuroCup. Mussini was also a member of Reggio Emilia’s 2013-14 EuroChallenge Championship team.

“Federico is a crafty guard who will be an important piece to our roster,” said Mullin. “Federico handles the ball well, he can score in a variety of ways and has playmaking skills that will continue to develop as he works with our coaching staff. His team-first mentality and unselfish approach to the game are exactly what we strive for as a program.”

“I am very excited to be a Johnny,” said Mussini. “I selected St. John’s most of all because of Coach Mullin and the entire coaching staff. I think Coach Mullin will help me to develop my game thanks to his experience from a Hall of Fame career. I believe that this staff can take me to another level.”

Mussini has been a pillar of the Italian youth national program for many years. As a member of the Under-18 team, he helped lead Italy to a sixth place finish at the European Championships in 2014. He was named to the All-Tournament team after averaging 22.6 points, 4.0 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.4 steals per game while shooting 42.9 percent from 3-point range. At the 2012 European Championships, Mussini averaged 14.6 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.1 assists for the Under-16 squad. He led the 2012 tournament converting on 52.2 percent of his attempts from 3-point range.

Mussini has also participated in several international showcases. He competed for the World Select Team at the 2015 Nike Hoops Summit in Portland, Oregon scoring nine points and handing out three assists to help lead his squad to a 103-101 victory over Team USA. In 2013, Mussini was selected to participate in Basketball without Borders Europe for the top youth players 19 and under. He won the event’s 3-point shooting contest and was named the Most Valuable Player of the four-day camp. Mussini’s breakout performance came at the 2012 Jordan Brand Classic where he went for a game-high 21 points, four rebounds, four assists and two steals.

Kid is a really good player. Fantastic long range shooter with amazingly quick trigger. Needs to sdd some muscle, but heck of a pickup for sju. Really needs to be guarded close. Kid can rip the nets and is a well rounded player. Played in Italian A-league.

Right now? Hard to tell, I haven't even seen some of these guys. Lovett, mussini, Durand Johnson, Darien Williams and Sima maybe? I still think we see gonna land Maverick Rowan which would change things though too, as he's a top 35 play who is reclassifying to 2015. Craziest difference is SJU's shooting ability changing. Gonna look a lot different roster-wise with several guys shooting in the 35-45% range from 3. From 3 Darien Willaims shot 41%, mussini 43%, mvouika 40%, Durand averages about 35% and potentially Rowan who is a 45% outside shooter. Don't know about Ellison but heard he's solid shooter as well, and Lovett puts up big points. I'm most worried about inexperience and defense, as well as grabbing another post player. That said, this team will have to be guarded at most spots, which is uncharacteristic of sju teams of the past 20-30 years.

Man that is a horrible team on paper. Looks like Mullin is taking the opposite approach of Willard in year 1. Laying down the law early, but at the expense of any legitimate chance of immediate success.

Man that is a horrible team on paper. Looks like Mullin is taking the opposite approach of Willard in year 1. Laying down the law early, but at the expense of any legitimate chance of immediate success.
Which is as it should be and if you dont, well, we know what happens.

Agree Jim. We do have 6'11 Yankuba Sima coming in who is supposedly a very good prospect. In addition, we have Darien Williams a juco coming in who is really a PF at 6'8" 230, but shot the ball at 40% from the outside as well. I don't know exactly what those two new guys will bring us. We return Amar Alibegovic who was serviceable, and I hope better this year. We are still working to land another big with one of the remaining 2 ships. In the past we have played without a big for what seems like decades now. It wouldn't be much different lol.

It was interesting how Mullin went up against Calipari and Self for a recruit so quickly. Sometimes I guess you can lose the recruit and still win. It would have been nice if he landed Diallo, though.

Diallo would have been huge for SJU. Nothing Mullin could have done there. Was a good effort. Diallo also had a lot of handlers around him with differing opinions I've been told. I think we will be getting those types of kids soon enough. We could end up with 2 top 65 players in this class already which would be a coup. Fwiw, Maverick Rowan was down to 3 schools as of today, those being SJU, NCSU and Wisconsin, and then Bo Ryan announced his retirement. Stars aligning for Maverick Rowan to SJU for 15' season, and this kid is near McD's level talent.

Last edited:
Stars aligning for Maverick Rowan to SJU for 15' season, and this kid is near McD's level talent.
Class of 2015 four-star wing down to three schools according to report

Scott Phillips

image24.jpg

adidas

Four-star guard Maverick Rowan recently enrolled in summer school classes to reclassify to the Class of 2015 and according to a report from Evan Daniels of Scout.com, the scoring wing is focused on three schools.

After announcing his reclassification, Rowan took an official visit to St. John’s, where Rowan’s father, Ron, was a one-year teammate of head coach Chris Mullin. The 6-foot-7 wing is also looking to take visits to N.C. State and Wisconsin, his two other schools he prefers at the moment. Even though Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan announced one more season as head coach, Rowan spoke with him and remains interested.

“It’s pretty much down to those three,” Rowan said to Daniels, noting that he’d like to make a decision in August.

If Rowan can finish the courses and enroll in school this season, he’d add a dynamic scoring wing to all three programs and he could likely receive some immediate playing time at all three schools.

Report: Federico Mussini commits to St. John's
By Sam Vecenie | CBSSports.com

mussini-stjohns.jpg

Federico Mussini will play his college career at St. John's. (Getty Images)
Italian point guard Federico Mussini has committed to St. John's, according to Scout.com.

Chris Mullin left the country to add a point guard to his 2015 recruiting class.

Federico Mussini, a 6-foot lead guard out of Italy, verbally committed to St. John's on Monday, a source told Scout. Mussini visited St. John's in early April. He considered a host of college programs, including Gonzaga.

Mussini has been considered a top talent in Italy for a while now, and has shown it on the biggest stages. He was named to the All-Tournament team at both the 2012 U16 European Championships as well as the 2014 U18 European Championships. The 2014 championship was a particularly impressive run of play, as he scored 22.6 points, grabbed four rebounds and dished out 2.1 assists on his way to leading Italy to a sixth place finish. He led that tournament in scoring.

I got to see Mussini up close for a week at Nike Hoop Summit this past April. Mussini scored nine points and dished out three assists in the game, but was extremely impressive in practice all week, as I mentioned here:

Mussini had been terrific in practice this week, but he struggled a bit early adjusting to the general length of the USA team at only 6-1, 155 pounds. Still, he ended up okay and closed the game for the World Team, knocking down a pair of 3s and getting fouled on another late, where he knocked down all three free throws. Mussini is among the more polished and skilled players you'll see at his age, and will likely go to college, as St. John's and Gonzaga are both chasing him. I'm all for watching him in college for four years because he's a really fun player, so I hope this comes to fruition.
Mussini joins what is a rather impressive haul for Chris Mullin's first recruiting class at St. John's, including top-100 guard Marcus LoVett and impressive juco Darien Williams. Mullin will have a tall task in his first season though, given that it seems like all eight of his newcomers will have to play a majority of the minutes on this team. Rysheed Jordan and Chris Obekpa were supposed to carry the team into the new era, but both have left the university for varying reasons. Plus, Phil Greene IV and Sir'Dominic Pointer graduated, the latter of which was drafted into the NBA on Thursday.

It's going to be a transitional year for St. John's but it does at least seem like they've found a guard for the future in Mussini.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...8/report-federico-mussini-commits-to-st-johns

Is a seven-foot Greek center considering playing college ball in the US?

Rob Dauster

Jul 1, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwy0nzrknti4zjy4mwvhzjvmyziymdu1nzvhzjcwztdi.jpeg

Getty Images

Oregon may have missed out on the Jamal Murray sweepstakes last week, but they are one of four teams currently in the market for yet another potential five-star foreign prospect.

That would be Georgis Papagiannis, a 7-foot, 260 pound center from Greece. Papagiannis played one season of high school ball in the states before returning to his home country to play for Panathinaikos, one of the biggest clubs in Greece.

But the big fella only saw time in 11 games this season, and according to this story from SI.com, that plays a major role in the fact that he is considering coming to the United States to play in college.

“If Georgios plays more in college, and plays with guys his age, he’s [going to be able to] show how good he is,” his father told SI.

Papagiannis is considering four schools at this point: Kentucky, N.C. State, St. John’s and Oregon. Kentucky is looking to add some front court depth — they are also toying with the idea of bringing New Zealand prospect Tai Wynyard over in December — as is N.C. State. ST JOHN'S desperately needs a low-post threat on both ends after forcing out Chris Obekpa.

But it’s the Oregon connection that is the most intriguing.

Let’s go beyond the fact that Oregon, a borderline top 25 team, is severely lacking in bid bodies, making Papagiannis a perfect fit on their roster. Not only is the Greece national team sponsored by Nike, but Oregon already has a member of their 2015 recruiting class in the national team program. Tyler Dorsey, a top 25 guard from California, is playing for the Greeks in the U19 tournament in Greece this week.

And you better believe he is actively recruiting the big man.

“I’ve been talking to him every day about it,” Dorsey told SI. “I don’t know what he’s gonna do, but I tell him he could come in and play a key role. We need him. Another big is what we’re missing.”

There’s no guarantee Papagiannis ends up coming across the Atlantic to play in college. But if he does, he may be the last impact freshman available in the Class of 2015.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT