ADVERTISEMENT

Jaren Sina...

Good luck to him... unless he's against us of course. Then I hope he plays worse than seeing DeAndre Jordan shoot FTs.

If he did have interest from Stanford as they said, then he should have gone there. But maybe he didn't or maybe playing many minutes and being a starter was more important. I wish him good luck

Stay classy and uninformed, Bobbie. He was one of the good guys on the team this year.

I don't disagree with that. By all accounts a good kid, and one who I wanted to stick around and find a role (spot-up shooter) that he would have thrived in for us. I actually supported him in person & on here when he was being bashed, as I saw what he was at least attempting to do out there.

But when you bail on your team mid-season like that, i can't get with that. Same shit as Cosby. The program needed him to play, despite his lackluster #'s at times. Whatever threats from Whitehead's boys or god knows whatever the f#ck was going on, they clearly weren't scary/dangerous enough that he had to withdraw from the school itself, right? So if you go by that, then he shouldn't have HAD to quite the team then & there either. Man up, finish out the season & improve your game at the same time. I think he'll regret missing out on those games when his career is over. He'll never get those back, and he could've left for GW at the end of this semester all the same.

Interesting choice. The only time I saw them play was against SHU, and they did not strike me as a team built around spot up shooters. I could be wrong, but I remember lots of flex screens, cuts, and mismatches, often near the bucket, built around speed and confusion.

Clearly his good friend Mitola and Sina talked and in effect made it a package deal. That said, and I am just throwing this out as I do not know the circumstances, I wonder when both of them leaving their current teams and deciding to play together again first came up?

Mitola can play this year, jaren sits out. I do not think it was a package deal.

They can still keep each other company in the new surroundings and practice together.

Mitola can play this year, jaren sits out. I do not think it was a package deal.
By playing together I mean as teammates in practice. That and being in each others company for a whole school year does raise the obvious question when was this first discussed.

And with that said I am not hinting at something that doesn't happen all the time.

Sure. Let's beat that question to death all day. I think (this is all theory, just like 99% of the stuff on this site) jaren and mitola first discussed the possibility of playing together over Christmas break 2014.

I kinda have to agree with Solo here. His value wasn't going any lower if he stuck around. No way I understand him quitting midseason. If he threatened to quit and Willard showed him door, I'd understand. If something bigger than the game happened, I'd understand. But the few details leaked seems like immaturity on his part and a rash decision.

I kinda have to agree with Solo here. His value wasn't going any lower if he stuck around. No way I understand him quitting midseason. If he threatened to quit and Willard showed him door, I'd understand. If something bigger than the game happened, I'd understand. But the few details leaked seems like immaturity on his part and a rash decision.

Condolences on the first part. In actuality, the few details that leaked hinted at something much more ominous, and Mergin Sina's announcement that it was "not racial" was taken by some, and run with, to imply that it wasn't anything bad at all. Agreeing with Solo puts you in the rarified air of not knowing what happened, and rashly accusing someone else of acting in the same manner.

Condolences on the first part. In actuality, the few details that leaked hinted at something much more ominous, and Mergin Sina's announcement that it was "not racial" was taken by some, and run with, to imply that it wasn't anything bad at all. Agreeing with Solo puts you in the rarified air of not knowing what happened, and rashly accusing someone else of acting in the same manner.
Like so much of what happened with SH basketball this past season we don't know what the exact circumstances are that led Jaren to quit in mid-season . I do know that quitting in mid-season seems totally out of character for him and he and his family must have felt it was in his best interests to do so. With that in mind I can only wish the best for him .

i wish him well but that's as far as it goes.
Like so much of what happened with SH basketball this past season we don't know what the exact circumstances are that led Jaren to quit in mid-season . I do know that quitting in mid-season seems totally out of character for him and he and his family must have felt it was in his best interests to do so. With that in mind I can only wish the best for him .

His father quit Seton Hall mid season also. Maybe it's a family tradition.

TK

Sina was a very good kid. I interviewed him after most every game this past season and he was polite and intelligent in his responses.

I never felt an undertone of dissension from him even though I knew of his issues last year with the locker room chemistry.

As the season progressed and the team played poorly I did sense frustration, but never did I feel he would leave during the Big East portion of the schedule.

In every situation you never know the whole truth. Sometimes you have more details, (not many here as there have been a ton of speculatation) but I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt for a few reasons.
He has committed to multiple schools and wanted to leave after year one which leads me to believe he changes his mind often. Also, as Solo mentioned he quit mid season as things got tough. He continued to be enrolled in school and still hung out with some players on the team. SPK was very quick to say he did the right thing based on the situation but I havent heard anything from him after the first day or so supporting him so who knows if what he was told origionally was factual.
In the end, Sina quit and it makes me wanna beat GW even more next year even if Sina isnt playing.

Wish him the best as he moves on---obviously he and his family felt leaving the team was in his best interest and without knowing the details who are we to judge---hope he does well at GW
Good luck to you young Jaren. Keep up the yoga.

Go PIRATES!

We can all speculate on what Jaren did (or did not) have to endure as a member of the team this year. Ideas range from his dissatisfaction about the way the team is coached to an "untenable" locker room situation in which he was cast out by a faction off the team because of his color. Hard for any of us to know for sure, especially given all the self-protecting obfuscation from every side.

But if a competitive, proud kid felt that it was better to walk away midseason than to remain in the locker room another day, that's his call, and I can't say for sure he was wrong. It does speak loudly, though, and we know it wasn't a matter of minutes. Tough to judge absent complete knowledge of the situation.

In any case, while he was on the team, he never did anything to bring us shame or embarrassment (which, unfortunately, is never a given), so he deserves our appreciation for that, at least. So I hope he does great at GWU; just not against us, if it happens.

Reactions: donnie_baseball
Dartmouth transfer Alex Mitola is heading to George Washington
Rob Dauster

Apr 22, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptyyn2m1yzuyngq1n2jlytvmngnjmjllmjc0nmm3mgzk-e1429714151102.jpeg

AP Photo
George Washington has added a shooter for the 2015-16 season, as Dartmouth transfer Alex Mitola has committed to the program, a source confirmed to NBCSports.com.

Mitola averaged double-figures all three years he played for the Big Green, posting 12.4 points while shooting 36.6 percent from three as a junior. He’s a small guard — listed at a generous 5-foot-11 — but, according to one Ivy League coach, “he is fast and shoots the ball lights out.”

He’ll be eligible immediately at GW.

Mitola will be a good fit for GW in that sense, as the Colonials really struggled shooting the ball from the perimeter last season. They missed the presence of Maurice Creek, who graduated in 2014, and while Mitola doesn’t have the same size or ability as Creek, he should be able to help stretch the floor.

Mike Lonergan will have some talent up front in 2015-16. Not only will Kevin Larsen and Patricio Garino be back for their senior seasons, but Yuta Watanabe is in line for an excellent sophomore year and Wake Forest transfer Tyler Cavanaugh will be eligible this season. but with Kethan Savage and Nick Griffin transferring, GW needed some back court depth.

Seems like an odd fit. Lonergan is a of a grind-it-out defensive style coach, and his offense relies heavily on offensive rebounding and individual shot creating. His teams don't also shoot many threes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT