ADVERTISEMENT

jcalz: ENOUGH !

Samsa

Junior
Nov 23, 2001
This is a basketball board. To be sure, there are a number of instances wherein something "off-topic" is introduced here which sometimes is important enough to be communicated to those of us interested in the basketball program. As an example, your report on the attack of the young woman on campus was such a case. However, your lectures to us on the mishandling of finances by the school administration, followed by an in-depth report concerning a reaction by the student body to the lack of security on campus is totally inappropriate for this site. It serves as some delusional attempt to turn this venue into your own personal facebook. See "Life Off The Ship" which is designed for such topics such as yours.

Originally posted by SPK145:

Originally posted by Seton75:
I totally agree with Samsa.
I don't.

I don't either. People are honestly jumping down this kid's back for raising legitimate concerns about our university? Is it really that big of a deal? I mean, he's labeling everything OT. Let's be honest, "Life on the Ship" certainly doesn't get as many hits as the BB board. I for one, never go in there, I imagine many others don't. That doesn't mean we aren't concerned with these issues surrounding our university that he's posting about. What is the big deal? It's just as easy not to read his posts and comment on anything that's titled, "OT." This post is just as off-topic for the basketball board as any of his are.

What is the difference? If you don't want to read JCalz's thoughts then don't open the thread.

We have another board for topics such as this one. I dont see why this should be an exception. Talk about it all you wish, but do it on the right board. This one is for basketball.

Originally posted by Samsa:
This is a basketball board. To be sure, there are a number of instances wherein something "off-topic" is introduced here which sometimes is important enough to be communicated to those of us interested in the basketball program. As an example, your report on the attack of the young woman on campus was such a case. However, your lectures to us on the mishandling of finances by the school administration, followed by an in-depth report concerning a reaction by the student body to the lack of security on campus is totally inappropriate for this site. It serves as some delusional attempt to turn this venue into your own personal facebook. See "Life Off The Ship" which is designed for such topics such as yours.

Totally off base...while this site's main focus is SHU men's basketball, it should be a place where we can discuss anything going on with SHU. Let's face it, the 5 people who go to the Life Off the Ship board doesn't get any kind of discussion going.

We have another board for topics such as this one. I dont see why this should be an exception. Talk about it all you wish, but do it on the right board. This one is for basketball.

Maybe that puts things in perspective. These recent events surrounding our university are MUCH BIGGER than basketball. Why doesn't the other board get hits? At the moment there are 192 people on this board. On the other 0. People are obviously concerned about these events and want to talk about it here, let them, no reason for it to get to this. Just ignore threads that don't interest you. JCalz is trying to raise awareness, he's not trying to offend anyone.

Listen everyone I get it sorry for the posts on this board. Just the actions at the university hit very close to home as a current student.. Just felt like the BB board was the best way as noone reads life off the ship.. Next time I will make sure to post there but like I said I was just so infuriated with shu at the time and figured this was the best place to put some of my thoughts as to see feed back from others. Your right this is a basketball boars let's call it a day.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

The other board was at one time very vibrant. I participated there on many OT topics as did many. The disfunctional nature of contemporary American politics made many decide to stop posting there, at least that was my reason. It stopped being enjoyable. If this board becomes subject to the whim of every topic we want to discuss here, the same thig will happen to it. The board once voted to allow discussion here of college fb - after a vote for Gods sake. After three months of threads about how RU did last Saturday, the admins got some sense and decided to stop that practice.

jcalz is a poster I really like and I admire much about him via the way he presents himself thru his posts. I am not offended by the posts.
This stuff just does not belong here. That is clearly how these boards were designed.
This post was edited on 11/18 2:06 PM by Seton75

TThis stuff just does not belong here. That is clearly how these boards were designed.
This post was edited on 11/18 2:06 PM by Seton75

Actually, it does to a point. The description of Life off The Ship states: "A place to discuss things that have nothing to do with Pirate athletics or the Big East Conference."

While it may be a slim connection, SHU's lack of security affects campus quality (and recruits views of it..) and it's management of funds certainly affects athletics in any number of ways. So if his posts don't belong here, I guess they have no home at all on piratecrew.

I find this entire thread silly and embarrassing as a Seton Hall alum.

So no more OT posts on this board about anything?

Originally posted by The SHUttle:

Totally off base...while this site's main focus is SHU men's basketball, it should be a place where we can discuss anything going on with SHU. Let's face it, the 5 people who go to the Life Off the Ship board doesn't get any kind of discussion going.

Well said. 100% agree.

Airing the dirty laundry on a recruiting/basketball message board could be harmful to our recruiting, I am just saying.

Originally posted by SPK145:
I find this entire thread silly and embarrassing as a Seton Hall alum.

So no more OT posts on this board about anything?

Samsa's post does not suggest that no OT subjects are appropriate if you took the time to read what he said. I find this board embarassing as a human being alot of the times..lol specially recently (not related to this thread). So what!
This post was edited on 11/18 2:36 PM by Seton75

Lighten up, Francis. BTW, your post lecturing him on what he can post on the board is just as distracting. As long as the posts are labeled "OT" then I have no problem with them on the basketball board. I find significant events that occur to SHU students relevant to SHU basketball (after all, aren't these issues our players and fellow fans are facing?). Furthermore, these types of events adversely impact the reputation of the school and the success and failures of the university affect the hoops program.

Actually Dan handles this kind of situation better than all of us. He keeps such things here for awhile and then moves them to the Life Off The Ship board.

I appreciate the on campus information provided by Jcalz, whether it involves recruiting, current players or these other activities.

Who the hell cares? Stop bitching about everything if you dont like it then dont read the thread, no one reads life off the ship so I have no problem with these posts by jcalz in fact I like to hear from a current student on what is going on at campus. Keep posting jcalz shake the haters off

I think jclaz is a good poster. The problem is in his riled up, exhuberant state he has probably started too many threads on this one issue. Should have kept it to one and then move to the Life of the Ship board.

Again No one reads life off the ship its such a filler message board, I just cant understand why people would waste time on a thread instead of just ignoing it if you dont want to read it.

Please limit discussions to basketball. I'm not suggesting that other topics are not valid but I come to this site for hoops only. One man' view. Thanks

Haven't left yet. The plane leaves first thing in the morning. LOL

I just want to note that both sides have valid points here. And when I see a post of this nature I will leave it on piratecrew for a while to ensure maximum viewing before transferring it to the Life off the Ship board for anyone to follow up on it.

I have already transferred yesterday's post by John to that board and will do the same shortly to this and another thread started by John.

If our readers feel the need to continue the debate, you will be able to do so on our other board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT