ADVERTISEMENT

Jevon Thomas?

JIMSOULS

All World
Feb 5, 2006
Jevon Thomas, Kansas State point guard from Queens, is transferring. Rothstein tweets that he's currently visiting Seton Hall, and would have two years remaining. Would this be a good get?

Rothstein also says Rutgers transfer Junior Etou will visit Xavier on Wednesday and Thursday.

Here are the stats for him. Not much of a scoring threat, especially from outside the arc. Does have a reasonable assists to turnover ration. Nothing spectacular, but decent.

Jevon Thomas stats

He has to sit a year and 16 class is strong locally. Must mean we don't feel good with those kids....

Willard should contact Shannon Evans, an all-MAC second-teamer who is leaving Buffalo now that Bobby Hurley is gone. Buffalo has blocked him from going to Arizona State (understandable), other MAAC schools (understandable), and his home area schools VCU and ODU (not understandable). It would be a reach, but he's a good player who wants to play at a higher level than Buffalo, and he would have two years of eligibility remaining. Contact as many players as possible, if they're good.

Shannon Evans leaving Buffalo

He seemed ready to come here after we lost Kyle, but I think there were some issues.

Looking at our roster we have 6 players who will be sophomores, 3 incoming freshman plus Nzei as a redshirt freshman, Ajou a junior and Gibbs our lone senior. If nobody leaves early that means you'll have 11 players returning and 2 open ships for the 2016 class and the question is whether you want to use one on Thomas or do we need to add more talented players to move up in the conference. The unanswered question that has been suggested by others is that taking a player of Thomas's talent level is a statement on where our 2016 recruiting efforts stand.

Those are bad stats. Why would we look for this type of player? 28% from three, 52% from the Free Throw, 3 assists in almost 26 minutes. A horrible reflection what this staff's recruiting. Without jobs to give away, Willard's recruiting is putrid.

Jevon Thomas has skills, fast, great handles, improving shot and true point. He was rated a 90 by 247 composite out of H.S. What were Sterling Gibbs stats at Texas, he did good here the last two yrs.

Originally posted by Flnj86:
Jevon Thomas has skills, fast, great handles, improving shot and true point. He was rated a 90 by 247 composite out of H.S. What were Sterling Gibbs stats at Texas, he did good here the last two yrs.

Thomas' 2014-15 stats were accumulated while playing 26 mpg for Kansas State. I believe Gibbs saw considerably less time in his one year at Texas.

In two years at K-State (1,141 minutes), Thomas is 62-188 from the floor, 59-129 from the line. It's difficult to put an improving shot spin on that. He seems like the kind of player who returns home to play at a lower level.

I didn't want Thomas out of HS, I don't want him now when he has to sit a year and the guard spot is very good in the local class. We take Thomas, that means the staff doesn't like our chances with the 2016 guard class flat out.

I think the general spreadsheet that is available on verbal commits is useful but with so many college players leaving early and transferring it's really difficult to make assumptions on how many ships you'll have year to year.

In other circumstances, I would think getting jevon thomas would be a decent signing but..

IMO, we have the talent to make the tournament in 15-16 but our roster's lack of quality depth will prevent us from making it.
This needs to be addressed now. In our current circumstances (Sterling senior, IW maybe last year) I don't see why we wouldn't go all out to improve 15-16's team. Not to mention, giving 15-16's team a better chance of success (NCCA bid) would improve recruiting and could help land someone as good or better than jevon thomas.

Upgrade the current roster for 15-16. When do we stop looking 2 years down the line?

Improving shot? lol Well, his shooting percentages are so low that it cannot possibly get worse. 37% FG, 28% 3-pt, 52% FT. Let's compare this to Sterling Gibbs at Texas. Gibbs avg 7.5 minutes, 45% FG, 37% 3-Pt, 77% FT.

Jevon Thomas is not even in the same league as Sterling Gibbs. Thomas should not even be looked at.

Thomas would be a good pickup for someone like Monmouth. But that's probably out of the question because he's now being courted by a Big East team. If Seton Hall offers, how could he tell his friends that he turned down the Big East in favor of the MAAC?

So we are short on ships in a make or break year for the staff and you want to give away our last ship to a player who won't play until 2016? On top of that, the strength of 2016 are the guards in our area. Thomas makes about as much sense as bringing in Sean Grennon.

At least 6 of the posters on this thread, are the same posters that always have something negative to post on other topics under different threads. You are a very, very small portion of the Seton Hall fan base. I guess you are Seton Hall fans.

This post was edited on 4/20 10:19 PM by Flnj86

The question I keep asking myself is if the 2015/2016 season is a make or break year for Willard why recruit a player who has to sit out a year as opposed to a player who could contribute immediately and maybe help you keep your job. Could the answer be that Willard has been told he'll be back no matter what the results next season are.

Georgetown also interested. All of you just hate Willard and he can do no right in your mind. Im sure JT3 is an idiot too for considering him? I have seen Javon Thomas play, he is the quickest player I have ever seen and is a true floor leader, something we lack.

He generally is a pass first point guard, something we desperately need, and has also other good interest. I would be happy to get him.

Fling What's wrong with you? You compared Thomas's stats to Gibbs when he was at Texas. I then give Gibbs' stats that blows your argument out of the water and then you say we are just negative posters. We are negative not because we want to be negative, it is just the facts are go negative. You have zero facts to back up your delusional posts. It is impossible to have serious basketball discussions because you bring up whether we are really true Seton Hall fans.

Sir, I do not know who made you arbiter of who and who isn't a Seton Hall fan. But anyone who is on this board in my opinion is a fan whether or not we agree with each other's opinions.

cernj, don't bother. you're not going to get a reasonable back & forth. just more mindless troll sychophant stuff. No one of any merit is on here praising this transfer, so that tells you all you need to know for now.
This post was edited on 4/20 10:44 PM by Bobbie Solo

At least 6 of the posters on this thread, are the same posters that always have something negative to post on other topics under different threads. You are a very, very small portion of the Seton Hall fan base. I guess you are Seton Hall fans.

This post was edited on 4/20 10:19 PM by Flnj86
Flnj86:

I don't think anyone is being negative. We're just wondering what the priorities are, recruiting-wise, as we approach what surely figures to be a make-or-break year. It's a fair question by fans on a team's message board.

Linked is an updated list of the top 25 transfers, many of whom would be eligible right away (and some who have already committed). Obviously Seton Hall wouldn't be recruiting Sina, Ennis or Harris, but each of the others are or were fair game. Did Willard and his staff take a shot with any of these players? If not, then shame on them because Seton Hall is supposed to be a major-conference program with many of the pieces needed to compete for an NCAA bid in the coming season. Meanwhile, there are Big East programs linked to several of these players. Heck, Georgetown and St. John's are both linked to multiple players in the Top 25. It's called recruiting, and people are getting tired of Seton Hall not being in the running for quality players. The coach and his staff just don't seem very aggressive or connected on that front.

Top 25 Transfers and complete list

Read what hall_fan posted, he is spot on regarding you posters.

Originally posted by hall_fan:
Georgetown also interested. All of you just hate Willard and he can do no right in your mind. Im sure JT3 is an idiot too for considering him? I have seen Javon Thomas play, he is the quickest player I have ever seen and is a true floor leader, something we lack.

He generally is a pass first point guard, something we desperately need, and has also other good interest. I would be happy to get him.
Among transfers, Georgetown is also in on Nigel Williams-Goss, Johnathan Williams III, Anthony Collins, and Anton Gill. Each is considered a better player than Thomas. The Hoyas are being aggressive in their recruiting, and casting a wide net in hopes of landing an experienced player who will help them. They have a plan.

Marquette is also in on multiple transfers, and their "momentum" going in consists of a losing season under a first-year coach. What excuse does Willard have for being behind Wojo on the recruiting trail?

To me, it seems as if KW has been a little gun-shy since being jilted by Kyle Anderson. He doesn't want to invest much time or energy on a recruit because he's afraid of rejection. Well you know what, recruiting is all about rejection because most of your targets will wind up going elsewhere. When that happens, you just have to dust yourself off and move on to the next kid or kids. The good recruiters know how to do this. And they know how to go toe-to-toe against other big-time programs. Chris Mullin, a rookie coach who has been on the job a month, is currently battling John Calipari and Bill Self for one of the most-coveted recruits in the nation. He may not win, but at least he's in the game. And, win or lose, it will reflect well on St. John's in the future because it shows they're willing to play the game.

KW is on charge of running the basketball program at a major-conference school. It's about time he started acting like it. There is no excuse for Seton Hall to not be linked to some big-time talents.

This is how it's done. Yes it's the storied Kentucky program, but John Calipari and Kenny Payne aren't sitting home in Lexington hoping recruits will magically land in their laps. They have instead been making home visits every single day of the signing period, hoping to add a piece or two to what already figures to be a Top 10 team. Calipari makes a great salary, and is working his butt off to show that he's worth every penny. On some scale, Kevin Willard should be doing the same. Never take a day off. That's how PJ got it done. Why can't KW do the same thing?

John Calipari on the recruiting trail

JIMSOULS with a great summary. Only question I have is, Did KW work that hard on KA?? Based on his track record sounds like Sha did all the heavy lifting. How many times was KW really in his house or with him?

FLNJ86,

In some other threads you say how you expect 2016 to be a big recruiting class, but you now want us to settle for a transfer whose states are questionable when we only have two open spots currently in the 2016 class? So which is it? Because if you truly believed we were going to get a top 2016 class Thomas would really be a reach at this point, especially since he needs to sit out a year.

cernj, don't bother. you're not going to get a reasonable back & forth. just more mindless troll sychophant stuff. No one of any merit is on here praising this transfer, so that tells you all you need to know for now.
This post was edited on 4/20 10:44 PM by Bobbie Solo

Time to reset ignore, with this new board. I should reconsider, though -- who else is going to tell me whom I should, or shouldn't, listen to?

A true floor leader? I have never seen him play but can read his stat line.. in 25 mins/game last year he averaged 3.3 Assists (102) and 2.3 Turnovers (72) while shooting 53% (42-80) from the line. How can a team have the ball in their "floor leaders" hands with that assist/TO ratio and FT shooting stats of Shaq?

A true floor leader has nothing to do with his stats. I meant I have seen him play and he is a leader on the floor, in terms of interacting with his teammates

Last edited:
Jevon Thomas, Kansas State point guard from Queens, is transferring. Rothstein tweets that he's currently visiting Seton Hall, and would have two years remaining. Would this be a good get?

Rothstein also says Rutgers transfer Junior Etou will visit Xavier on Wednesday and Thursday.

Finally I can post!

My personal feeling is that we should pass and go strong after a pg for 2015-2016. If we need anything right now is a PF or C that can play immediately next season.

Among transfers, Georgetown is also in on Nigel Williams-Goss, Johnathan Williams III, Anthony Collins, and Anton Gill. Each is considered a better player than Thomas. The Hoyas are being aggressive in their recruiting, and casting a wide net in hopes of landing an experienced player who will help them. They have a plan.

Marquette is also in on multiple transfers, and their "momentum" going in consists of a losing season under a first-year coach. What excuse does Willard have for being behind Wojo on the recruiting trail?

To me, it seems as if KW has been a little gun-shy since being jilted by Kyle Anderson. He doesn't want to invest much time or energy on a recruit because he's afraid of rejection. Well you know what, recruiting is all about rejection because most of your targets will wind up going elsewhere. When that happens, you just have to dust yourself off and move on to the next kid or kids. The good recruiters know how to do this. And they know how to go toe-to-toe against other big-time programs. Chris Mullin, a rookie coach who has been on the job a month, is currently battling John Calipari and Bill Self for one of the most-coveted recruits in the nation. He may not win, but at least he's in the game. And, win or lose, it will reflect well on St. John's in the future because it shows they're willing to play the game.

KW is on charge of running the basketball program at a major-conference school. It's about time he started acting like it. There is no excuse for Seton Hall to not be linked to some big-time talents.

Big East programs are benefitting from pursuing transfers. GT already has C Akoy Agau from Louisville ; Butler has added two graduate seniors who will play immediately in SG Kethan Savage from GW and Jordan Gathers from St.Bonaventure and Creighton has Marcus Foster from KSU plus we know how aggressive SJU has been since Mullin was named to Succeed Lavin.As Jim has pointed out our head coach doesn't appear to be as engaged in looking to add talent to this class as his peers in the Conference are .

I have no comment on Thomas but I'm holding out hope that Bryce Aiken is still interested in Seton Hall despite ... nm

Interesting, Cobb is 6-9, 240, and has also received offers from VCU and South Carolina (per verbalcommits.com). James Madison, Temple, UMass, and NC-Greensboro have also shown interest.

What's going on at Kansas State? Three transfers and now a de-commit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT