ADVERTISEMENT

Just wondering

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Anyone think that with the 5th year graduate transfer rule that many coaches, especially at mid majors might have second thoughts about redshirting players for improvement and maturity purposes?

This type of free agency allows stronger programs to pick the bones of weaker ones.

For those responding this question is not about the rule but the potential the rule could have on coach's decision making processes.

I can see why it would, but if a coach is considering redshirting a player his freshman year it most likely means that the coach doesn't believe that they will be much of a contributor their first year.

So I look at it as, either way the player will be contributing for 3 years - either 1 as a redshirt and 3 as an eligible player before transferring as a graduate student or 1 as a noncontributor and then 3 years as a contributor before graduating.

It could sway the coach if the reason for the redshirt was for maturity reasons, however.

I say make the graduate rule disappear & have them sit a year too. It's all bullshit anyway, none of these kids are transferring b/c a major isn't offered at their current school. If anything, I'd rather see them waive the "5 years to play 4 seasons" rule in certain cases than have all these kids leaving under the current rule

If anything, I'd rather see them waive the "5 years to play 4 seasons" rule in certain cases than have all these kids leaving under the current rule

That is the rule now for transfers (other than graduate transfers). No hardship waivers anymore but an extra year of eligibility.

Anyone think that with the 5th year graduate transfer rule that many coaches, especially at mid majors might have second thoughts about redshirting players for improvement and maturity purposes?

This type of free agency allows stronger programs to pick the bones of weaker ones.

For those responding this question is not about the rule but the potential the rule could have on coach's decision making processes.
Do you think most are cause they red shirt or cause they get hurt? I would guess the latter - pure guess. But yes, It may make me think three times about red shirting a kid knowing that if he develops well, someone else will likely benefit for the last year.

If I were a player and not 100% committed to the program, i would have no reservation about transferring. You get an extra year in college including 1 year in graduate studies, and should you desire yet again to move into a better situation, you can without penalty.
It's not as good as staying with one team for 4 years, but it's not that bad of a situation for that student / athlete.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT