ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas State Transfer Jevon Thomas to Seton Hall

hbkmyr

All World
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2009
Seton Hall lost one experienced guard recently but has gained another.

Talented Kansas State transfer Jevon Thomas, who recently visited campus, has committed to the Pirates, sources told SNY.tv. He joins the program just as news broke last week that Sterling Gibbs will graduate and transfer to play immediately.

A 6-foot Queens native, Thomas will sit for the 2015-16 season and will then have two years of eligibility remaining.http://zagsblog.com/articles/kansas-state-transfer-jevon-thomas-to-seton-hall/

In the article Zagoria says we are still involved with other immediately eligible transfers. I wonder if he knows something we don't or if he just doesn't know we have no scholarships remaining

Visited 2 weeks ago. Almost committed to SHU out of HS.

26mpg, 4.5ppg, 3.3ast, 2.3topg, 3.0rpg, 1.1spg... 38% FG 29% 3pt, 53% FT

:oops:

In the article Zagoria says we are still involved with other immediately eligible transfers. I wonder if he knows something we don't or if he just doesn't know we have no scholarships remaining

A poor-shooting, at best, average point guard.

And currently no 'ships for the class of 2016 fall recruiting period either.

SMH.

Reactions: shupat08
Zach Brazziler tweeted SHU is taking another guard, so it's not too difficult to infer what is going to happen next. Obviously this moves speaks to how 2016 recruiting is going, too.

KW's going for broke in trying to salvage his career. In all fairness, however, we need guard depth next year.

Can someone explain this one to me? Irrespective of Thomas as a player, I just don't understand the thought process here. We now have 3 guards on next year's roster and are one injury away from being in a position that I can't ever remember a team being in. Gibbs' scholarship had to go to someone who could give us minutes at guard next year and instead we gave it to a transfer who can't contribute at all? This isn't a post to bash Willard, as that's becoming redundant, but I feel like I have to be missing something here.

Is there a current player who is going to transfer? Is someone giving up their scholarship and paying their own way? What did I miss?

I think Jeron shared the PG duties this year with a kid who transferred to RU.

I remember his initial commitment to SJU to be quite a big deal.

I just have to wonder where the oversight from our AD is. All athletic scholarships must be signed off by every school's AD and how could anyone sitting in an AD's office use your last ship on a player who will have to sit a year when you have an absolute need to add a guard to play this year. To compound the situation by using this ship you have no ships available for the 2016 class and thus no ability to add talent because of that.

great point and one i was just thinking about.. if its true that he's on hot seat why sign off on a transfer for next yr. doesn't add up.

I just have to wonder where the oversight from our AD is. All athletic scholarships must be signed off by every school's AD and how could anyone sitting in an AD's office use your last ship on a player who will have to sit a year when you have an absolute need to add a guard to play this year. To compound the situation by using this ship you have no ships available for the 2016 class and thus no ability to add talent because of that.[/QUOTE

Geez, I overlooked the part of JT sitting out next year. This makes no sense. We need a backup guard this year.

I just have to wonder where the oversight from our AD is. All athletic scholarships must be signed off by every school's AD and how could anyone sitting in an AD's office use your last ship on a player who will have to sit a year when you have an absolute need to add a guard to play this year. To compound the situation by using this ship you have no ships available for the 2016 class and thus no ability to add talent because of that.
Since when did Pat Lyons' job description change from AD to Head men's basketball coach.

I have to think that the staff is hoping to catch lightening in a bottle like they did with Gibbs with this kid. The question will be will Willard and/or Holloway be here here in '16-17 when this kid hits the court running.

Jcalz88 you sound confident, will the guard addition for this year be an impact player?

Since when did Pat Lyons' job description change from AD to Head men's basketball coach.
Because he's Willard's boss and has oversight responsibility for all the athletic programs at SH. By your definition Willard could, without checking with anyone , give a ship to a player who is under investigation for criminal activities. If you're suggesting that Pat has no say in who Willard recruits or in any other aspect of the BB program
then all the comments that's been posted on this Board that Pat sits down at the end of the season and goes over the results of the just completed season and discusses the pluses and minuses really doesn't happen. You would also have me believe that Lyons and Willard had no conversation on how he address the guard problem created by Gibbs departure especially given what has transpired this year.

While the AD should have little if any say who starts, who gets what minutes, the type of offense or defense a team plays any other aspect of the program are areas he can exercise his authority over and questioning the validity of using the last ship on a player who will not see the court for a year is a legitimate part of his responsibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMB73
WTF is this? I think Thomas would be a very marginal recruit if he could play immediately. To sit out a year is a disgrace. Willard does not have a clue.

cern. Jevon Thomas has talent. You can not teach speed, and athletic ability. Many people who have watched his game, including Zach Braziller feel he is a good PG. You are in no position to judge his talent, your post carries no weight.

I think it is kind of funny that we are going to go over the scholarship limit, and yet we have limited depth at the guard and forward positions.

Reactions: shupat08
Are you serious? This guy's stats suck. He should be riding the bench at Iona, not taking up a scholarship and sitting out a year to get (hopefully) 2 minutes per game at Seton Hall.

Reactions: Shuathelete
cern. Jevon Thomas has talent. You can not teach speed, and athletic ability. Many people who have watched his game, including Zach Braziller feel he is a good PG. You are in no position to judge his talent, your post carries no weight.
Fair enough. But tell me this. What makes your post carry any weight?

My post is based up his statistics playing 2 years at KState. What is your opinion based on? I would really like to know because it seems like you are pulling it out of your ass.

Reactions: SPK145
And 86 there are others like Jeff Goodman of ESPN who opines that he is not the player you suggest he is. In point of fact the most concerning ( no pun intended) comment from Jeff is the following: " if you're a believer in addition by subtraction and are the optimistic sort this move fits for you. A disjointed point guard who chewed up a lot of playing time while never getting on the same page as his coaches or some of his teammates is now gone."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT