ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond

Pirates1991

Senior
Jan 17, 2018
Saw that KR had a trip to Oklahoma but has he gone on other official visits? Duke and Kentucky was mentioned but did he visit ? Curious as to his list ? Hopig that Shaheen is guiding him (along with family) as to the best fit for him basketball wise (and away from St. Johns)!!!

Saw that KR had a trip to Oklahoma but has he gone on other official visits? Duke and Kentucky was mentioned but did he visit ? Curious as to his list ? Hopig that Shaheen is guiding him (along with family) as to the best fit for him basketball wise (and away from St. Johns)!!!
If it was about the right fit he would have decided by now. My guess it’s all about the Benjamin’s and a bidding war.

St. John's seems poised to add Utah transfer PG Deivon Smith. Money is money, obviously, but it does seem like that would be an odd pairing. Two starting caliber guards on the same team who would both want the ball in their hands running the offense. Seems strange.

Shaheen should have wished him well weeks ago when he chose to leave, and completely moved on focusing on next year.

Smith committed to St. Johns. Zags says they are still pursing KR.

Smith committed to St. Johns. Zags says they are still pursing KR.
That seems like bad roster construction, but what do I know.

Maybe Smith wants to play more off the ball more. I can't see Richmond not wanting the ball in his hands as long as he's on the court.

Reactions: JRSlim2284
Haha, these Johnies fans and beat reporters are underestimating the impact of a top shelf ( 6 foot PG only ) transfer has on Kadary….

Reactions: BA10151
Deivon Smith is awesome. Agree, however, that his commitment would likely mean no Richmond for SJU.
Had the same thought. Richmond didn't want any competition last year on the ball.

Smith is a PG who can also be a combo guard, I think. But I'd be surprised Richmond wants to play somewhere that has another established PG option.

Hopig that Shaheen is guiding him (along with family) as to the best fit for him basketball wise (and away from St. Johns)!!!

Richmond has basically told Shaheen that he is too good for his program. The last thing Shaheen should be doing is helping him find a good fit. It's not like he has nothing better to do at the moment.

Well, Pitino is like a second father to Willard, and Willard gave Sha his first assistant job at Iona, right? Than papa P stabs Sha in the back with this move. Slick Rick will spare no one in his quest to stroke his ego and restore his tarnished reputation.

Reactions: Flnj86
Well, Pitino is like a second father to Willard, and Willard gave Sha his first assistant job at Iona, right? Than papa P stabs Sha in the back with this move. Slick Rick will spare no one in his quest to stroke his ego and restore his tarnished reputation.
Lol.

Pitino's job is to win games same as any other coach. The best way to win games is to have quality talent at your disposal. If the situation were reversed we would stop at nothing to get said player.

Why would Sha waste another minute of his time if KR intends to leave? Shake his hand like a man, wish him the best, and move on to those that are willing to commit to Seton Hall next year. For the money I presume Kadary is looking for, he can hire someone to guide him.

Lol.

Pitino's job is to win games same as any other coach. The best way to win games is to have quality talent at your disposal. If the situation were reversed we would stop at nothing to get said player.
Plenty of quality talent at his disposal without poaching a player from a friend and mentee. Would he do the same to Willard if Willard were still the HC at SHU? I doubt it.

Why would Sha waste another minute of his time if KR intends to leave? Shake his hand like a man, wish him the best, and move on to those that are willing to commit to Seton Hall next year. For the money I presume Kadary is looking for, he can hire someone to guide him.
Maybe they developed a strong relationship and want the best for each other? It's as if pro players and coaches are dead to one another when switching teams

I don’t think Richmond and his family are going to Holloway for advice, nor do I think Holloway is offering any. It’s pretty clear he’s moved on.

Reactions: lloyde dobler
Maybe they developed a strong relationship and want the best for each other? It's as if pro players and coaches are dead to one another when switching teams
That's great but given the climate of college basketball and what Shaheen gets paid to do, one would hope he spends all of his time securing our roster rather than sitting down and guiding KR on the pros and cons of leaving us for St. John's.

Lol.

Yes, I don’t get it. It’s wild. This is what coaches and teams do now. Actually what they’ve done forever. When Sha tries to improve the roster, is he doing it because of some sinister motive to get back at another program/coach and further his “ego”. No, he’s trying to do his job and win games.

That's great but given the climate of college basketball and what Shaheen gets paid to do, one would hope he spends all of his time securing our roster rather than sitting down and guiding KR on the pros and cons of leaving us for St. John's.
I didn't say he is or should. Just answered a poster asking why he possibly would

Plenty of quality talent at his disposal without poaching a player from a friend and mentee. Would he do the same to Willard if Willard were still the HC at SHU? I doubt it.
Pitino would do whatever it takes to succeed. The issue, as I've stated many times, is his ability to create team chemistry and that comes down to roster construction. KR and Smith on the same roster would be bad for chemistry. Perhaps this is SJU's acknowledgement that KR is not heading their way.

Pitino would do whatever it takes to succeed. The issue, as I've stated many times, is his ability to create team chemistry and that comes down to roster construction. KR and Smith on the same roster would be bad for chemistry. Perhaps this is SJU's acknowledgement that KR is not heading their way.
You may be right on the chemistry piece. That is the hardest thing to replicate in this post-portal world where kids change teams like socks. Pitino's handled uber-talented back court pairings before, but you never know how this stuff plays.

Reactions: Bluebeard
I find this funny because Richmond is the complete opposite of what Pitino likes in his Pg… Richmond is a great player and obviously the people at st John’s would love to stick it to seton hall, but this has the makings of imploding for st johns

Reactions: Burnsly and HallB
Posted yesterday on the Trove that SJU called Richmond a lock.

Insert my fave acronym when kr comes up.

Like dylan (Bob that is) said, ...if you gotta go, go now...

I would think the relationship between Pitino and Holloway is about zero. And in the era of one-and-done mercenaries, relationships also amount to zero: they are things of the past.... like typewriters.

I would think the relationship between Pitino and Holloway is about zero. And in the era of one-and-done mercenaries, relationships also amount to zero: they are things of the past.... like typewrite
After what the guy did to his wife, people wonder if he has a connection with someone who never played or coached for him?

I think KR is going to get $1.5MM somewhere......good for him and his family. He deserves it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT