ADVERTISEMENT

Last on Chris Mullins

LFBall

All American
Nov 12, 2003
Why Chris Mullins Would be Great at SJU!

Some of you still do not get it. 17 year old kids might not remember Chris Mullin but I am sure their dads and HS Coaches sure do. I would bet the heads of every AAU Team in America knows him as well as many advisors, and uncles and friends of the family. If he takes the job at SJU they will automatically go back to being the NY Area College Media darling and front page sports news. They will sell out more games and the media hype will be unbelievable. Of course he will bring in respected and knowledgable people. You think that Soft Drink King who is a SJU Grad and ex walk on helped before? He will double up with Mullins and other SJU Alumni on staff. Some of the greatest coaches are the ones who know how to manage and delegate. Chris would surround himself with the right people. Also remember Mark Jackson never even coached CYO basketball and he did quite well at Golden State.

Chris Mullins being hired at SJU is like Kareem Abdul Jabar coaching at a re-opened Power Memorial HS or a Dr. J coaching The University of Massachusetts! What an opportunity and what pressure his hiring would be on other area schools in regard to recruiting and media attention and coverage. JMHO

Abdul-Jabbar and Dr J were much better basketball players.

This post was edited on 3/30 9:29 AM by Flnj86

This post was edited on 3/30 11:16 AM by Flnj86

This post was edited on 3/30 11:16 AM by Flnj86

It's not the spelling police. If that were the case, I'd constantly be harping all over the spelling on the board, which is not exactly college-graduate level.

Someone who fancies himself as a basketball writer should know how to spell the name of one of the game's icons.

Originally posted by JIMSOULS:

It's not the spelling police. If that were the case, I'd constantly be harping all over the spelling on the board, which is not exactly college-graduate level.

Someone who fancies himself as a basketball writer should know how to spell the name of one of the game's icons.
It's also Chris Mullin, not Mullins. Someone telling us that we "don't get it" should probably get the subject of their thread's name right.

This post was edited on 3/30 10:34 AM by phi_pirates

Jim,

Seth Greenberg was on ESPN this moring with Mike & Mike. He had an interesting quote. He said "Mully better be ready for what he is getting into. There is a big difference in being GM of the Warriors than the rat race college basketball is today".

there is a definite novelty thing to Chris Mullin being the HC at St. John's, but I don't think it guarantees anything as far as on court success goes. It definitely should help St. John's sell tickets at MSG, and I'm sure FOX won't be crying about it either.

This hire will not be a bad thing for SHU which is all I'm concerned about.

Originally posted by TomD82:
Jim,

Seth Greenberg was on ESPN this moring with Mike & Mike. He had an interesting quote. He said "Mully better be ready for what he is getting into. There is a big difference in being GM of the Warriors than the rat race college basketball is today".
Yep. College basketball is a sleazy business, and it's hard to see Mullin getting dirty like his newfound peers.

Originally posted by phi_pirates:

Originally posted by JIMSOULS:

It's also Chris Mullin, not Mullins. Someone telling us that we "don't get it" should probably get the subject of their thread's name right.

This post was edited on 3/30 10:34 AM by phi_pirates
laugh.r191677.gif

If they were hiring Rick Pitino, or Tom Izzo, or Sean Miller, or Bob Hugginns, everyone would know it was a slam dunk that they are on the road to elite status.

Chris Mullin can turn St. John's into a winner. But it's no slam dunk.

My thoughts:

1) No way to know what kind or how good a coach Mullin will be but he is very connected and should have a very good staff. That bodes well for recruiting.

2) One fear I would have is the fear I have seen with other icons like Mullin: How will he feel/deal with players that don't/won't work as hard as he did?

Both Moon and Jeff Mullins gotta be tickled pink with this thread title!

People will remember Chris, but less likely Jeff and Moon.

Ideas can come from anywhere. I happen to agree with LF on this one, though it won't be a walk in the park for Chris.

Spelling issues? I once wrote a piece on deadline late at night and misspelled a guy's name throughout the piece.

The PR guy called to complain the next day. Looking to lighten the tone of the call, I asked, "DId I at least misspell it the same way each time?"

He said, "No." Ooops! Ah, the beauty of having an editor sticking around late. At least LF is consistent here.

Originally posted by SPK145:
My thoughts:

..........2) One fear I would have is the fear I have seen with other icons like Mullin: How will he feel/deal with players that don't/won't work as hard as he did?
That's always the classic question when a great player takes on a coaching job.

That and why don't they play the game as well as I did?

Politi hates the hire. Given his track record it will likely work out very well for the Johnnies

Originally posted by Halldan1:

My thoughts:

..........2) One fear I would have is the fear I have seen with other icons like Mullin: How will he feel/deal with players that don't/won't work as hard as he did?

Good point, Dan. Bill Russell coached the Sonics for a bit. An all-time great player on the college and pro level and a very cerebral guy, too, yet I don't remember him tearing it up as a coach.

phi.pirates and Jimsouls

Please accept my apology for the misspelled names. You both are correct there is no excuse for it. Even though this is a basketball message board and not a article in the NY Times or NY Daily News, its no excuse. Even if its early in the AM and the huge screen Apple Computer I use often self corrects wrongly it's not an excuse. I only wanted to express a few points I thought some of you would be interested in based on what you are going through coach wise and what your fellow Big East School is doing to bring back the excitement. I am sure Abdul-Jabbar, a person I know, would be equally disappointed. So based on that I will not even attempt to share some info I received 20 minutes ago about both SJU and Seton Hall University because I do not wish to have the two of you jumping down my throat based on your dislike of me much more than me misspelling two names of people that I am sure you knew who I was referring to. Lastly: Ef U Cn Reaad Ths you sure understod wht I was saying in that post with mispelled words. Lastly writer? nah just basketball follower with an opinnion! oops, I meant opinion! Sorry!

This post was edited on 3/30 11:42 AM by LFBall

Originally posted by Raritan_Mike:
Good point, Dan. Bill Russell coached the Sonics for a bit. An all-time great player on the college and pro level and a very cerebral guy, too, yet I don't remember him tearing it up as a coach.
Mike, the best example of this I can remember, and many of our younger readers won't know this is Ted Williams.

One of the greatest hitter of all time who was a fighter pilot in WW2 and had 20/10 vision to go along with his amazing coordination and reflexes.

He just could not understand why ball players couldn't see and hit like he did and eventually lost the patience needed to excel in that capacity.

Re: phi.pirates and Jimsouls

Originally posted by LFBall:
Please accept my apology for he misspelled names. You both are correct there is no excuse for it. Even though this is a basketball message board and not a article in the NY Times or NY Daily News, its no excuse. Even if its early in the AM and the huge screen Apple Computer I use often self corrects wrongly it's not an excuse. I only wanted to express a few points I thought some of you would be interested in based on what you are going through coach wise and what your fellow Big east School is doing to bring back the excitement.
Bump

I am sure Abdul-Jabbar, a person I know would be equally disappointed. So based on that I will not even attempt to share some info I received 20 minutes ago about both SJU and Seton Hall University because I do not wish to have the two of you jumping down my throat based on your dislike of me much more than me misspelling two names of people that I am sure you knew who I was referring to.
Set

Lastly: Ef U Cn Reaad Ths you sure understod wht I was saying in that post with mispelled words. Lastly writer? nah just basketball follower with an opinnion! oops, I meant opinion! Sorry!
SPIKE!!!

laugh.r191677.gif

Please accept my apology for he misspelled names. You both are correct there is no excuse for it. Even though this is a basketball message board and not a article in the NY Times or NY Daily News, its no excuse. Even if its early in the AM and the huge screen Apple Computer I use often self corrects wrongly it's not an excuse. I only wanted to express a few points I thought some of you would be interested in based on what you are going through coach wise and what your fellow Big east School is doing to bring back the excitement. I am sure Abdul-Jabbar, a person I know would be equally disappointed. So based on that I will not even attempt to share some info I received 20 minutes ago about both SJU and Seton Hall University because I do not wish to have the two of you jumping down my throat based on your dislike of me much more than me misspelling two names of people that I am sure you knew who I was referring to. Lastly: Ef U Cn Reaad Ths you sure understod wht I was saying in that post with mispelled words. Lastly writer? nah just basketball follower with an opinnion! oops, I meant opinion! Sorry!
laugh.r191677.gif

Please accept my apology for the misspelled names. You both are correct there is no excuse for it. Even though this is a basketball message board and not a article in the NY Times or NY Daily News, its no excuse. Even if its early in the AM and the huge screen Apple Computer I use often self corrects wrongly it's not an excuse. I only wanted to express a few points I thought some of you would be interested in based on what you are going through coach wise and what your fellow Big East School is doing to bring back the excitement. I am sure Abdul-Jabbar, a person I know, would be equally disappointed. So based on that I will not even attempt to share some info I received 20 minutes ago about both SJU and Seton Hall University because I do not wish to have the two of you jumping down my throat based on your dislike of me much more than me misspelling two names of people that I am sure you knew who I was referring to. Lastly: Ef U Cn Reaad Ths you sure understod wht I was saying in that post with mispelled words. Lastly writer? nah just basketball follower with an opinnion! oops, I meant opinion! Sorry!

This post was edited on 3/30 11:42 AM by LFBall
So your auto-correct changes Mullin to Mullins? Not Mulligan, or an actual real word?

Just busting your chops. And definitely no disliking of you from me.

Tell Kareem phi_pirates said "what's up" though.

lolololol I sure can take a Joke. And if I happen to see The Big fella in the next two years, he is supposed to come to our Harlem Real Basketball Players Reunion in July, I will tell him you said "Whats Up!" He will most likely be standing near Dermon Player and the new SJU Coach Chris Mullin (no S),

My thoughts:

Mike, Russell was player coach on the Celts in probably their only upset win in the 60s vs LA. . The last time they played with Russell. Was that 69?

If I was Mullin, I would call Rawle Akins and ask to see him right after the announcement, and explain to him that thirty years from now, NYC people will think of you like they think of me if you join me at SJU.

Totally forgot about Bill's days as a player coach, Dick. Those 76er-Celtics matchups were epic. With Russell as player-coach, I bet bed checks for curfew were definitely player friendly. lol.

Mike, the best example of this I can remember, and many of our younger readers won't know this is Ted Williams.

One of the greatest hitter of all time who was a fighter pilot in WW2 and had 20/10 vision to go along with his amazing coordination and reflexes.

Here's some interesting (to me, anyway) vision tidbits from the book "The Sports Gene," chapter 3, which also said Williams had 20/10 vision:
"Over four years of testing, and 387 minor and major league players, Rosenbaum and his team found an average visual acuity around 20/13. Position players (players who have to hit) had better vision than pitchers, and major league players had better vision than minor leaguers. Major league position players had an average right eye visual acuity of 20/11 and an average left eye visual acuity of 20/12."
""Half the guys on the Dodgers' major league roster were 20/10 uncorrected," Rosenbaum says."

"The two largest population studies of visual acuity, one from India and one from China, give a sense of just how rare 20/10 vision might be. In the Indian study, out of 9,411 tested eyes, one single eye had 20/10 vision. In the Beijing Eye Study, only 22 out of 4,438 eyes tested at 20/17 or better.

Smaller studies focused only on young people, though, have documented average vision that is better than the standard 20/20. Seventeen- and eighteen-year-olds in a Swedish study had average visual acuity around 20/16. So we should expect that Major League Baseball hitters-their average age is around twenty-eight-would have better than 20/20 vision just because they are young, but not an average of 20/11. (Coincidentally, or perhaps not, twenty-nine often is the age at which visual acuity starts to deteriorate and the age when hitters, as a group, begin to decline.)"
"About 2 percent of the players in the Dodgers organization dipped below 20/9, flirting with the theoretical limit of the human eye. Daniel M. Laby, an ophthalmologist who worked on the Dodgers study and later with the Boston Red Sox, says that he encounters a few players at that level every year in spring training. "I can pretty comfortably say that in twenty years of caring for people's eyes I've never seen someone outside pro athletics achieve that, and I've seen over twenty thousand people," Laby says. David G. Kirschen, an optometrist who also works with professional athletes and is chief of binocular vision and orthoptic services at the Jules Stein Eye Institute at UCLA's medical school, says that he has seen a few patients outside of elite sports with 20/9 vision, "but you can count them on one hand over thirty years.

[/QUOTE]

He just could not understand why ball players couldn't see and hit like he did and eventually lost the patience needed to excel in that capacity.
The famous Ted Williams heat map of the strike zone! Maybe the greatest ever at the plate. That IS the best example of a great player going to the coaching ranks. But if I'm not mistaken, didn't the Washington Senators' hitting dramatically improve after Williams joined? (I'm only relying on memory, so I might be off) I think Eddie Brinkman, the worst hitter in the A.L., a perennial .198 average, had his best year with Williams as his coach. But they still came in last, I believe.

Unfortunately I was not a natural athlete meaning I had to work hard for everything I got. But I was blessed with one thing and that was 20/10 vision.

I had no idea my sight was that good. Just assumed most everyone could see like I saw. Then I went with my girlfriend at that time (now HallRox) to an eye doctor as she needed glasses. While she was reading the eye chart and not too successfully I was at the back of the room and I said I could read the bottom line of the chart. The doctor didn't believe me and said I probably memorized it. When I say no he hooked me up to a machine and said you have 20/10 vision. Something that he had rarely seen.

So maybe I jumped like a white guy, but hell no one had a better view than I when players soared over my head. LOL

Unfortunately I was not a natural athlete meaning I had to work hard for everything I got. But I was blessed with one thing and that was 20/10 vision.

I had no idea my sight was that good. Just assumed most everyone could see like I saw. Then I went with my girlfriend at that time (now HallRox) to an eye doctor as she needed glasses. While she was reading the eye chart and not too successfully I was at the back of the room and I said I could read the bottom line of the chart. The doctor didn't believe me and said I probably memorized it. When I say no he hooked me up to a machine and said you have 20/10 vision. Something that he had rarely seen.

So maybe I jumped like a white guy, but hell no one had a better view than I when players soared over my head. LOL
You must have been a hell of a hitter in baseball. Didn't Rod Carew and Ted Williams also have abnormally good vision?

Under Williams in 1969, Brinkman's average rose from .187 to .266. Del Unser went from .230 to .286. Mike Epstein went from .234 to .278, while upping his home-run total from 13 to 30 in just 52 more at bats. The team as a whole went from .224 to .251. Also, Senators went 86-76 that year, up from 65-96 in 1968.

The Senators' pitching also improved under Williams, as the staff ERA was 3.49 (5th in the AL) after being 3.64 (10th) the year before. It's remarkable that the staff ERA went down when you consider that the previous year was the famed "Year of the Pitcher." As a rule, staff ERA's went up in 1969. Senators' pitcher Dick Bosman led the league in ERA under Williams at 2.19.

1969 wound up being the only winning season in the expansion franchise's 10 years in Washington. Williams had a positive impact on the Senators, if only for a short time.

Originally posted by batts:

You must have been a hell of a hitter in baseball. Didn't Rod Carew and Ted Williams also have abnormally good vision?
Not a great fielder in the outfield (center and left). Only average because of lack of foot speed. But yeah I did have a pretty good eye at the plate. LOL

I remember when I was young I used to argue with my friends that I could see the spin on the ball as soon as the pitcher released it. They told me I was full of it (actually their words were slightly different). I couldn't understand what they were talking about because I just assumed everyone could see what I saw.

Originally posted by batts:

Not a great fielder in the outfield (center and left). Only average because of lack of foot speed. But yeah I did have a pretty good eye at the plate. LOL

I remember when I was young I used to argue with my friends that I could see the spin on the ball as soon as the pitcher released it. They told me I was full of it (actually their words were slightly different). I couldn't understand what they were talking about because I just assumed everyone could see what I saw.
No wonder you like to sit at the top of your section. Nothing to block your view of the cheerleaders.

someone on here and im sorry should have gotten the name said the hiring of Mullin will not hurt or should not hurt SHU. It already hurt SHU simply because SJU has the balls to go out and part ways with Lavin who got them into 2 NCAAS in 4 years of coaching. 1 year he was very sick. Include also an NIT. This shows recruits and everyone who has an interest in basketball that they are not fooling around PERIOD. Getting to the NCAAS twice is not good rnough especially when you don't win. That's their thinking. This hirind made national news as will the press conference on Wednesday. And we sit idly by and do nothing.

Originally posted by piratehall:

someone on here and im sorry should have gotten the name said the hiring of Mullin will not hurt or should not hurt SHU. It already hurt SHU simply because SJU has the balls to go out and part ways with Lavin who got them into 2 NCAAS in 4 years of coaching. 1 year he was very sick. Include also an NIT. This shows recruits and everyone who has an interest in basketball that they are not fooling around PERIOD. Getting to the NCAAS twice is not good rnough especially when you don't win. That's their thinking. This hirind made national news as will the press conference on Wednesday. And we sit idly by and do nothing.
You may be referring to the fact that someone referenced that they didn't hire a Hurley. I agree with the post that a Hurley hiring (esp. Danny) would hurt but I also agree that the perception that they aren't fooling around (and we are, at least perception wise) does not reflect well on us.

LFBall - consider your critics above. You red this forum and know the credibility of the posters who criticized your post, not for content but for spelling. Pathetic posts by universally recognized pathetic posters.

Thanks but its all good. I look at this as a message board, though a great one, still just a place to vent through posts. Whats interesting is what I said Sal now validates by what he is hearing . Maybe people need to just go with the flow and not attempt to discredit others just for the sake of doing it or hidden agendas. I have great inside sources at many places. I even have heard stuff about SHU and whats going on and why some folks are there. But, thats for another time lol. Thanks Vegas pj

Thanks but its all good. I look at this as a message board, though a great one, still just a place to vent through posts. Whats interesting is what I said Sal now validates by what he is hearing . Maybe people need to just go with the flow and not attempt to discredit others just for the sake of doing it or hidden agendas. I have great inside sources at many places. I even have heard stuff about SHU and whats going on and why some folks are there. But, thats for another time lol. Thanks Vegas pj
LF do tell what you are hearing about SHU? I won't ever criticize your spelling I promise.

Originally posted by Vegas pj:
LFBall - consider your critics above. You red this forum and know the credibility of the posters who criticized your post, not for content but for spelling. Pathetic posts by universally recognized pathetic posters.
Just curious PJ, are you calling me a "universally recognized pathetic poster"? I admittedly don't offer the insight that some do here, but you might have me confused with someone else. I was busting LF's chops about the fact that he spelled the subject of his thread's name wrong.

Don't assume you are in that category just because you posted before my post. So did a others before your initial post. That said, joining in and piling on someone like LFBall doesn't make it right and can associate you with others you might not want to be associated with. Sermon over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT