ADVERTISEMENT

Message Board Changes - PLEASE READ

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
All Premium and Free Message Boards will be READ-ONLY from approximately 12 p.m. ET to 6 a.m. ET.

Here are some of the new Features & Benefits for the new Rivals.com Message Boards:

1. They are a responsive design; meaning, they were designed for desktop, tablets and mobile - all in one design and all at the same URL. No need to go to a different address to get the proper version for your device

2. They have a modern, secure and actively maintained framework built for speed & stability

3. There will be no limit on Thread History, so you can reference old topics or replies at any time

4. There is Private Messaging, Social Profiles and Rich(er) Content - embeddable video, embeddable Tweets, etc

5. You now can set up alerts and follow users so you don't miss replies to topics you're participating in or miss great posts from your favorite users. In your News Feed you'll be able to see all of the topics, users, and content that you wish to follow.

6. Dynamic quoting system so what you select within a thread can be quoted without copying and pasting any code. You select what you want to quote and click Reply over that selection, and it will be put automatically in your reply. You can quote multiple posts and automatic quoting is set up so that you can always follow the conversation with a user forgetting to quote.

7. Improved navigation and search: quickly jump to the first unread post in a thread or to the top and bottom of each thread. Advanced search features include by keyword, date or thread title.

ABOUT TIME. Honestly. This site barely loaded on my mac anymore. And its nice to have a mobile optimized site... its 2015!

One last thing to upgrade...

Reactions: BabyBlue
Hmm, Not liking the look to it. I do not like grey shadow lettering. Makes it too difficult to read. Other functions seem to be helpful but I have not used it so I have no review on that. But I do hate light grey lettering.

Only reason they changed this week is because Google was changing the way they rank web pages when it comes to mobile compatibility. Once the new algorhytem was dropped into the system most would not be able to find rivals on a search.

The new look blows.

How can I tell if I've read something yet? Everything is the same gray color.

Hmm, Not liking the look to it. I do not like grey shadow lettering. Makes it too difficult to read. Other functions seem to be helpful but I have not used it so I have no review on that. But I do hate light grey lettering.

I hate the grey on grey lettering also.

TK

Only reason they changed this week is because Google was changing the way they rank web pages when it comes to mobile compatibility. Once the new algorhytem was dropped into the system most would not be able to find rivals on a search.
I'm sure you're right, but I actually liked the mobile app, even though it was very different than the desktop style. You couldn't quote someone easily, but it was very readable. The mobile site looks just like this now, but that's not great for mobile.

+1 Not fond of the change at all. Hard

The lack of contrast between the tread titles and back color burns the eyes, God.

I am not a fan of the format, but I really like (no pun intended) that instead of creating a new post just to say +1 you can just click "like" on a post. I'm sure I will get used to it - right now it just feels like "who moved my cheese."

is there anyway to switch back to the old format. on scout they recently made changes to some message boards but i know there is an option to revert to the old format.

is there anyway to switch back to the old format. on scout they recently made changes to some message boards but i know there is an option to revert to the old format.
No.

The changes were made by Rivals, Tom and I had no part in the decision.

Reactions: Muggsy Blue
ironically, the new "mobile-friendly" setup works much much worse on the Dolphin browser for my android phone. i cant open multiple tabs , and i have to find just the right spot on a subject for it to even open at all. There's no way to click to the next page of a multi-page thread either. And that's on top of the terrible layout that wastes space all over the page and as others have said, has a bad color scheme for text to background.

The new changes have made it a lot easier to navigate with my IPhone 6. I had trouble logging into and posting on the old format with my Iphone6 on the Safari Browser.. No such issues on the new format. I agree with the others, however, that I don't like the dull gray coloring of the new format.

Will the articles that used to appear at the top of the threads (ex. Wingate) come back. Likewise, what about being able to easily connect to SH Athletics etc , recruiting SH targets and other sites (BE & RU)?

Will the articles that used to appear at the top of the threads (ex. Wingate) come back. Likewise, what about being able to easily connect to SH Athletics etc , recruiting SH targets and other sites (BE & RU)?
Working on it.

It's been a slow process because Tom and I have to wade through tons of new stuff and it's very time consuming.

All Premium and Free Message Boards will be READ-ONLY from approximately 12 p.m. ET to 6 a.m. ET.

Here are some of the new Features & Benefits for the new Rivals.com Message Boards:

1. They are a responsive design; meaning, they were designed for desktop, tablets and mobile - all in one design and all at the same URL. No need to go to a different address to get the proper version for your device

2. They have a modern, secure and actively maintained framework built for speed & stability

3. There will be no limit on Thread History, so you can reference old topics or replies at any time

4. There is Private Messaging, Social Profiles and Rich(er) Content - embeddable video, embeddable Tweets, etc

5. You now can set up alerts and follow users so you don't miss replies to topics you're participating in or miss great posts from your favorite users. In your News Feed you'll be able to see all of the topics, users, and content that you wish to follow.

6. Dynamic quoting system so what you select within a thread can be quoted without copying and pasting any code. You select what you want to quote and click Reply over that selection, and it will be put automatically in your reply. You can quote multiple posts and automatic quoting is set up so that you can always follow the conversation with a user forgetting to quote.

7. Improved navigation and search: quickly jump to the first unread post in a thread or to the top and bottom of each thread. Advanced search features include by keyword, date or thread title.
They are going to change/fix this right? I mean...I can hardly read my screen! Was the intent to use a color scheme that makes it very difficult to read anything? Does anyone actually test this stuff out?

Well, not that there is anyhting good to read about SHU hoops now anyway, but....then again....on this site...I wouldnt know

In looking at the boards from other schools they have tailored their boards with colors for the text.

The gray text on our board is barely visible. I know you had to do a bunch of work to set ours up and everyone appreciates it. Would you consider trying to find the settings to darken the text on the thread titles?

I have some experience with web stuff and would be more than happy to assist.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT