ADVERTISEMENT

Modest goal

Halldan1

Jan 1, 2003
Please forget the hate and respond with a rational opinion.

Does SHU finish .500 in the league this season?

Projected starting lineup.

PG 6-4 Whitehead - Soph

2G 6-2 Carrington - Soph

SF 6-5 Rodriquez - Soph

PF 6-8 Anderson - Junior

C 6-8 Delgado - Soph

Backups

SW 6-3 Gordon - Graduate Senior
SW 6-5 Soffer - Freshmen
SF 6-7 Singh - Freshmen
PF 6-6 Nzei - Soph (4 years eligibility)
PF 6-7 Sonogo - Soph
C 6-9 Carter - Freshmen
C 6-9 Anthony - Junior (3 years eligibility)

PG 6-0 Thomas sitting out - Junior (2 years eligibility)

In order to be over .500 in league play, we need Gordon, Singh, Nzei and either Anthony/Carter to put up some legit "off the bench" numbers AND minutes.

We cannot play 6 men deep for a 30 game season and expect to compete in the BE.

In order to be over .500 in league play, we need Gordon, Singh, Nzei and either Anthony/Carter to put up some legit "off the bench" numbers AND minutes.

I agree with this. We need each of the stars Whitehead, Carrington and Delgado to improve from last year. We also need someone out of all the other players to step up and bury buckets. I would think the players that have the most potential is Desi and Singh. Then we would need some big defensive contributions from Nzei, or Ish or Anderson.

The simple answer is no. Not enough experience upfront,no legitimate center, no true PG, unanswered questions about team unity and control of the locker room and still a very young team. When you add in highly questionable coaching and a proven , undeniable record the last three years of 15 - 39 in conference play there is little to suggest a 500 % record in conference play.

500 will be tough but anything less will be disappointing. Nova, Gtown and xavier have more talent than SHU. Butler, Prov, Marq and Creighton have about the same overall talent. No excuses and just win.

I think we will be a game or two below .500 next year. We have a chance to get to .500 though if we become a very good defensive team and find a few shooters in the mix.

We have arguably the worst coach in the league. With Willard as coach, I can't see a path to .500 unless he takes a leave and lets Sha coach the team.

We have the starting talent to be special. But with our current situation, .500 would be an aberration. If everything goes along the path that many here want, next year could be the year.

I don't see it. This roster is poorly constructed. We can get away with playing small vs. bad teams but not in the league. Too many questions marks with our frontcourt, and no true PG will hurt us down the road. I see at least 6 teams currently that look better than us in the league. The only goal I have is can we make the NIT and that really doesn't bring me much excitement. I don't have much optimism at all. Would love to be proven wrong.

Can I argue that JTIII is a worse coach than Willard? That guy brings in more talent and does less with it than anyone in America. Why anyone would want to play for him (aside from his lineage) is beyond me.

Reactions: PeterN and hall_fan
Can I argue that JTIII is a worse coach than Willard? That guy brings in more talent and does less with it than anyone in America. Why anyone would want to play for him (aside from his lineage) is beyond me.

Willard is 30 games under .500 in the league and his teams have folded like a cheap suit after February 1st the least 3 years. Please.

I am going to buck the trend and say that yes we can be over .500 next year. I see no issues with the locker room this year as the bulk of the players are all sophomores who appear to get along. I think that Whitehead and Carrington will play much better this year and that moving Desi to small forward will give us better balance on the floor. As much as I liked Mobley last year. I believe that a combination of Anderson and Nzei will give us better defense and rebounding and having shooters like Singh and Soffer will help when the second team is in the game. This will only work however if we commit to playing solid in your face defense. The coach must tell the players to play hard as you can for as long as you can and to trust that bench players can play their roles. My only concern is whether the coach can do this.

This might be the youngest roster I've ever seen at SHU. I don't know how they are going to compete with experienced , fully grown men game in , game out..
Who will provide on-court leadership , control and wisdom ?

No, Seton Hall fans are expecting far too much improvement from players who were average or much worse than average in the past. Some will improve, some won't, some might even regress.

Until proven otherwise it's hard to argue with past history.

Last year I was convinced we had finally bucked the trend. And until mid January it sure looked that way. But then as it has every season since KW has been our coach we folded down the stretch.

It shouldn't happen this season but again what makes anyone confident that it won't?

I firmly believe that if Anderson surprises everyone (a possibility) we should finish at least .500 in the Big East. But if anyone is asking me "am I confident" the answer is no.

St. John's did last year. I understand they did it with a bunch of upperclassmen but just saying it can be done. And it's still possible some of the unknowns become contributors.

I think we could potentially be .500, but wouldn't be shocked if we went 11-7 and wouldn't be shocked if we went 5-13. So to answer the original question, I have no idea with this team lol

What in the Willard error would make anybody think this year will be different?

Reactions: deheremike
John Thompson III at Georgetown: Total record: 249–115 (.684) Big East Record: 119–68 (.636)
Career Record: 317–157 (.669)...you really want to compare him to Willard???

Reactions: Hoya1987
I thought we had decent depth and experience two years ago and we couldn't finish .500, and also lost to FDU and St. Peter's at home. I thought we had great talent last year and we couldn't finish .500, completely imploding after a 13-3, 3-1 start with #19 ranking.

We have a coach who has never finished .500 and now has an even younger team to mesh together, lost two veteran guards (with excellent A:TO numbers), including an All-Big East 2nd Team player and one of the more efficient scorers in the league.

Willard has proven to be totally ineffective in managing personnel year after year, roster after roster. He's now lost 39 of his previous 54 Big East regular season games. He's overseen the worst stretch of SHU hoops in 30 years. This returning core group finished 1-9 down the stretch last year and couldn't have cared less. This is the guy who will bring a young team together and inspire?

We have a coach who values the 3PT shot, but without proven outside shooters.

We have a mish-mosh of a frontcourt which could turn out to be decent and better than last year if Anderson turns out to be a find and someone from the Anthony/Carter/Nzei group proves to be a capable back-up. But is a total question mark outside of Delgado. Oh, and now we're magically putting Desi back to the 3?

I'd sign in blood for .500 today. Do not think it's going to happen.

Last edited:
Absolutly. You don't need experienced players up front, you need athletic guys that are willing to bang. For the first tlme in years, we finally do.

Absolutly. You don't need experienced players up front, you need athletic guys that are willing to bang. For the first tlme in years, we finally do.
What does that even mean? Sounds like Gonzo's philosophy. "You give me five of the toughest guys and I'm going to win you some ball games."

Tough guys don't win basketball games. This isn't mixed martial arts.

Unfortunately our front court is still incredibly weak. Delgado won't have much help again.

Please forget the hate and respond with a rational opinion.

Does SHU finish .500 in the league this season?

Projected starting lineup.

PG 6-4 Whitehead - Soph

2G 6-2 Carrington - Soph

SF 6-5 Rodriquez - Soph

PF 6-8 Anderson - Junior

C 6-8 Delgado - Soph

Backups

SW 6-3 Gordon - Graduate Senior
SW 6-5 Soffer - Freshmen
SF 6-7 Singh - Freshmen
PF 6-6 Nzei - Soph (4 years eligibility)
PF 6-7 Sonogo - Soph
C 6-9 Carter - Freshmen
C 6-9 Anthony - Junior (3 years eligibility)

PG 6-0 Thomas sitting out - Junior (2 years eligibility)

No, I dont see us at 500 in the league. A lot of variables for next year, but 6 - 8 wins I think is the range

I thought we had decent depth and experience two years ago and we couldn't finish .500, and also lost to FDU and St. Peter's at home. I thought we had great talent last year and we couldn't finish .500, completely imploding after a 13-3, 3-1 start with #19 ranking.

We have a coach who has never finished .500 and now has an even younger team to mesh together, lost two veteran guards (with excellent A:TO numbers), including an All-Big East 2nd Team player and one of the more efficient scorers in the league.

Willard has proven to be totally ineffective in managing personnel year after year, roster after roster. He's now lost 39 of his previous 54 Big East regular season games. He's overseen the worst stretch of SHU hoops in 30 years. This returning core group finished 1-9 down the stretch last year and couldn't have cared less. This is the guy who will bring a young team together and inspire?

We have a mish-mosh of a frontcourt which could turn out to be decent and better than last year if Anderson turns out to be a find and someone from the Anthony/Carter/Nzei group proves to be a capable back-up. But is a total question mark outside of Delgado. Oh, and now we're magically putting Desi back to the 3?

You completely nailed it with this post

Reactions: TheBluePirate

Piratz with the mic drop.

Reactions: TheBluePirate
Look at the original post. Dan goes through every player on the roster, noting the probable starters, all in an effort, assumedly, to provide the pertinent information to decide whether this is a .500 club in-league or not.

But Dan doesn't mention the one person most responsible in deciding our record, does he? And we all know why he doesn't mention him. Dan wants to talk basketball and not restart the "fire Willard" posts, and I empathize with that. But if you think our record actually depends on our roster and not on our clown coach then you've not been watching the same SHU squad that I've been.

Do we make .500 in league? Not for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Bobbie Solo
.500 in league? Lol! Every team will be better in the Big East next year. St. John's might be the exception. That line up will never win. Williard will play 4 out of those 5 guys at least 30mpg. Why? Because he promised them that!. Don't have a true PG. Who is going to be the shooter in that group? Besides Delgado who will rebound? Not one good defender on that starting line up. Don't mistake getting a steal here and there as playing defense. This team is built like the DePaul team. Which by the way lost both games to last season.So my answer is 4-14 in Big east. Will lose at least 4 games in the non conference. What games were you guys watching last year? Dan, Gordon not starting?

No and that means you know who will be bought out. The hire of Pat Lyons' life is rapidly approaching. Hope he nails it.

Reactions: shupat08
This is the first year since blaneys last year that I have no excitement for the upcoming season. It's a double edged sword, the team loses once again and players leave I am miserable or we win make tourney players leave and we are still stuck with Willard and no recruits for the future.

Is there a scenario were we win, make tourney, keep all players, but get rid of the clapper? Someone tell me please so I can have a glimmer of hope

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT