ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Player revenue sharing

CL82

All Big East
Oct 31, 2002

The good news: they are going to cap the amount that teams can pay their players.

The bad news: that "cap" is going to be $20 million.

• Haha
Reactions: Piratz and shupat08

The good news: they are going to cap the amount that teams can pay their players.

The bad news: that "cap" is going to be $20 million.
$20M for football schools who also have basketball. How much of the $20M is allocated to basketball? No way $20M for just basketball. Seems like their only way out of this complete sh show.

If they want to structure it in such a way that the schools pay the players directly -- say, as employees -- I suppose they can cap it. But there is no way that they can continue to effectively pay players under the disguise of "NIL" and have any hope of capping it. Those are individually negotiated payments that (technically) do not come in exchange for playing football or basketball. That money is in exchange for use of the player's name, image, and/or likeness. (I'll pause while everyone stops laughing...)

It can, I guess, begin to limit the amount of money available for "NIL" because the same people funding it now are also going to be the ones tapped to help supplement this new line in the athletic department budget. So it'll turn the focus back to Pirate Blue, while Onward Setonia would still be shaking the tin cup for "NIL" contributions that would help offset athletic department shortfalls. Seton Hall is obviously not going to create a new $20 million budget line to pay its players, right?

This does nothing for us. In fact, it probably makes it harder.

$20M for football schools who also have basketball. How much of the $20M is allocated to basketball? No way $20M for just basketball. Seems like their only way out of this complete sh show.

If they want to structure it in such a way that the schools pay the players directly -- say, as employees -- I suppose they can cap it. But there is no way that they can continue to effectively pay players under the disguise of "NIL" and have any hope of capping it. Those are individually negotiated payments that (technically) do not come in exchange for playing football or basketball. That money is in exchange for use of the player's name, image, and/or likeness. (I'll pause while everyone stops laughing...)

It can, I guess, begin to limit the amount of money available for "NIL" because the same people funding it now are also going to be the ones tapped to help supplement this new line in the athletic department budget. So it'll turn the focus back to Pirate Blue, while Onward Setonia would still be shaking the tin cup for "NIL" contributions that would help offset athletic department shortfalls. Seton Hall is obviously not going to create a new $20 million budget line to pay its players, right?

This does nothing for us. In fact, it probably makes it harder.
As I read this it's a cap of $20 million per school which can be distributed how the school sees fit. I would expect only the FBS and a portion of the FCS schools to dole out that much.

A basketball-only likely wouldn't need to spend that much although it might be an avenue to shore up some of its non-revenue sports.

As per the linked story the money will come from the athletic department budget and also notes that schools can opt-in to a smaller amount than $20 million.

Reactions: Section112
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT