ADVERTISEMENT

NIT - What does it make?

cams555

Sophomore
Oct 24, 2019
Does anybody have any insight into what these NIT tournament games will produce for the school? Revenue of tickets sales can't be great playing in Walsh but I am assuming the TV deals must pay the teams.

Does anybody have a breakdown of what NIT money looks like and how does that compare to the NCAA tournament?

Not sure if it's an exact number but I heard it's something like $5,400 a game as well as travel or incidental expenses. Losing out on the $$$ is another reason to be pissed with our snub... are you listening Val? :rolleyes:
That is accurate. I believe it is $5,220 a unit per round with max total payout $334,000. Now everyone can see why if you sell 3,000 tickets at the rock you can lose money.

That cash is pretty dismal. The NCAA should throw another carrot out there for the NIT teams that wouldn't cost them any cash and could add a little juice to the NIT. Grant the NIT champion school an auto-bid in the following year NCAA tourney. Could be the play-in game or better if they deserve; usual seeding applies. Yeah, it would be different team following year, players leave / graduate, blah blah blah. But think about how useful as a recruiting tool it could be for the winning school. Team would be a hot destination for transfers- who wouldn't want to play where you know you are going to the dance from day one.

I like it. With an auto bid you wouldn't get any teams rejecting a bid, that's for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT