ADVERTISEMENT

OT: eSports

Pirata

All American
Dec 21, 2009
I recall a previous thread with much debate about the merits and validity of eSPorts.

Saw this today in the WSJ.

On a related note, if they ever launch eFishing, it will be time for me to pack it in. :)

Full Article:

http://on.wsj.com/1VMsOsP

Excerpt:

"The growing money and fame in “e-sports” over the past several years has hatched a field of coaches and other professionals who want in. Most of the 116 teams world-wide that participate in tournaments run by Riot Games Inc. for its “League of Legends” battle game have at least one coach on their payrolls, according to Riot.

Some e-sports coaches make between $30,000 and $50,000 a year. That is in line with traditional baseball minor league coaches, says John Thorn, Major League Baseball’s official historian. The median annual salary for all coaches and scouts in 2012 was $28,360, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics."

I think the idea of these competitions is really cool, and it's great that people can actually make money bc there's an audience. But I stop at the point of calling them a "sport". It's a skilled competitive activity for sure, but using the term "sport" cheapens the word.

Reactions: Pirate6711
I watched one of these on ESPN a few months ago. No idea what was going on but i couldnt stop watching.

If we can find more ways to send kids to college for free, then im all for it!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT