ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Giants/Jets Training Camps

Piratz

All Universe
Gold Member
Mar 25, 2004
NFL Training Camps begin opening later this week.

For the Giants, both lines have major issues given the offseason injuries to DE Jason Pierre-Paul and OT Will Beatty. Plus OG Jeff Schwartz' return from a broken toe and ankle is a big question mark.

And the safety position is entirely comprised of novices. No clue what to expect from Spagnuolo II. It cannot be much worse than last season as the Giants' defense gave up the most big plays and had the worst run defense in the league (yards/attempt). Spags' linemen are not as well-rounded to rush the passer and play the run as the previous groups he had with the Giants, so how he rotates and deploys them will be critical.

That offense should hum if they get solid blocking. Otherwise, I'd expect a lot of quick passing as we saw early in the season last year before Beckham arrived. One of the best groups of offensive skilled players in the league. The addition of Vereen as a pass-catching RB out of the backfield should be a major help as well.

The Giants D had a million injuries last year. I'm not concerned with the d line as most. Ayers will be healthy, Moore should take the next jump. They don't need jpp to be a superstar just solid. I'm more concerned with the linebackers. No major upgrades. BEason is old & beat up. Secondary should be better. Prince will be healthy. Landon looks solid but the other safety is a question mark. Offense should be top 10 in the league.

Giants offense has the potential to be top 5 in the league. Beckham, Cruz, Randle (I'm not his biggest fan but he did have 70+ catches last season and is in a contract year), absolutely love the Vereen signing, Jennings (although he always gets hurt), and Williams showed some flashes as a rook. They have lots of depth at WR and RB. With that being said, that defense looks to be pretty dreadful. I have no idea what to think they are going to get out of JPP. Spags usually likes to rotate defensive linemen but not sure how much depth Giants have there. I would expect a lot of high scoring games this season. How good is the division? I have to think Dallas would be good, who knows about the Eagles, Washington is probably the cellar dweller again. How good are the Giants? Tough to really say.

Defense is a big question mark on the line and at both the line backing and safety position. I personally don't expect JPP to be a major plus as his contract situation will impact how he plays.

On offense the possibility of playing a rookie at LT could hamper the offense. The offense is solid at the RB , WR, TE and QB position but the OL still is an unknown quality.

Defense is a big question mark on the line and at both the line backing and safety position. I personally don't expect JPP to be a major plus as his contract situation will impact how he plays.

Moore and Ayers are classic speed rushers. They're like Osi Lite. They aren't the type that play the run well. JPP does both, just like Strahan, Tuck, and Kiwanuka did in the past. Selvie, Jenkins, Hankins, and Ellis need to be good against the run. The kid they drafted from UCLA Odighizuwa looks good, too. A wildcard.

Spags is known for run-blitzes, so I'm really interested to see how he works these pieces in. Need both Beason and Kennard to stay healthy at LB. That Kennard kid is going to be a major playmaker.

Those safeties are scary. All are novices. One of them needs a season like Larry Donnell had last year.

Landon Collins (R2, 2015)
Mykkele Thompson (R5, 2015)
Justin Currie (Undrafted FA, 2015)
Jeromy Miles (FA from from Baltimore, signed last week)
Nat Berhe (R5, 2014)
Bennett Jackson (R6, 2014)
Cooper Taylor (R5, 2013)

Last edited:
Did JPP officially sign the franchise player contract?

Surprised no one expressed concern about his injury. I never played football but losing an index finger would seem like it would impact a player like him. Brian Baldinger (not a big fan, but he's know more than I do about football) was on a local radio station down here a few weeks ago saying he thinks it will have a major impact on his game.

Did JPP officially sign the franchise player contract?

No he did not. Nor have the Giants' rescinded it. That's why the whole situation remains murky. They'll likely come to a compromise, but in doing so JPP will have to reveal the full extent of the injuries to them, which he has failed to do thus far in an attempt to maintain some leverage, I suppose.

Many have reported that the explosion also broke his thumb and he has major recovery times.

With or without Brady the AFC East may be the toughest division in the NFL this year with all the teams except New England significantly improving during the off season. The Las Vegas odds have the Jets finishing last in the Division but with the over/under on them being 7.5 wins so all four teams being at least .500 is a strong possibility.

Tom K.

The Bills are very interesting. Strong group of offensive skill players (McCoy, Jackson, Watkins, Woods, Clay, Harvin) and a top defense. But what's at QB!??!

Who has been the best QB Brady has faced vs. the AFC East in his career? Chad Pennington? It's really bad. Even with him suspended the first month I still think they find a way to win that division. Brady is just heads and shoulders better than Tannehill and whoever the Bills and Jets use at QB. You can't win in today's NFL without a franchise QB.

I would say Pennington for sure. In addition to what he did with the Jets, he was also the QB of the Dolphins during that season when they won the AFC East while Brady was injured.

Chad Pennington was such a smart player that I'm surprised he never got into coaching.

TK

You build a team around your QB and the Jets and Bills still are searching for that player to fill that position and until they do they'll still be chasing Brady and the Pats.

Those "other" AFC East teams Miami, Buffalo, and the Jets are interesting this year because they probably boast 3 of the best defensive lines in the NFL while unproven QB's.

Tannehill is the best of the crop by far. Maybe he takes the next step this year.

On offense the possibility of playing a rookie at LT could hamper the offense. The offense is solid at the RB , WR, TE and QB position but the OL still is an unknown quality.

I think the DE talent could surprise without JPP. Ayers sounds like he's really stepping up and and they are really high on Moore (3rd year = go time) and the rookie Odighizuwa. Selvie and Jenkins are solid.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT