ADVERTISEMENT

OT: St. John's hires Rohrssen

Link

Rohrssen helped build a pipeline of New York players to Pitt in the early 2000s and has experience as a head coach at Manhattan. He's also from Brooklyn and attended Xaverian High in Brooklyn, and has made it no secret the New York area is where his heart is. He was instrumental in recruiting Roselle Catholic High School (Union, N.J.) point guard Isaiah Briscoe to UK.

Though Slice had a pretty good gig with the Wildcats working with John Calipari while making a base salary of about $400,000, you can't blame him for wanting to take a job where he's from.

http://kysportsconnection.com/barry-slice-rohrssen-leaving-kentucky-wildcats-for-st-johns-per-report/

Mullen a HOF NBA player, Dream Teamer, NBA Exec from Brooklyn... Slice from UK and Abdelmassih from ISU... Lead recruiters from both programs... Slice with major NYC ties from Brooklyn and Abdelmassih a SJU alum also from Brooklyn.

Looks like StJ is going to have NYC on lock.

Tiny better be able to hold serve in Coney Island for us. And IW, Desi, Angel, KC better try to help bring in every AAU player they are tight with.

This post was edited on 4/12 6:55 PM by shupat08

Little local talent was main reason Lavin was let go. But before anyone hands over the NYC recruiting to SJU remember that the college game scene is much different than the pros and Mullin with his lack of actual coaching experience will have a lot to prove. This hire could be a HR or a complete bust only time will tell.

Very true. It should pay dividends this year and in the fall , but if he is an awful coach , then it could be a bust. If it does work out then we may need to open our canary pipeline again.

Mullin has put together in a very short time probably the best recruiting staff of assistants in the conference. A smart coach knows what his weaknesses are and hires people to address that weakness and Mullin's weakness is clearly his lack of recruiting acumen. Well, he's sure corrected that problem.

His biggest weakness is coaching, never coached at any level of basketball. There are many players that played and coached in the NBA that were busts coaching at the college level. In fact there are very few that have become successful college coaches.

This post was edited on 4/12 8:39 PM by Flnj86

This post was edited on 4/12 8:40 PM by Flnj86

Told the board 2weeks ago it was a DONE as well as the Mullin hire 2 months ago.

This post was edited on 4/12 8:53 PM by PirateSal

Slice is a great recruiter because he could sign top talent for Kentucky? The assistant at Kentucky does not have to sell recruits on Kentucky, the program attracts the top recruits.

I do not know how Mullin will be perceived as a coach long term. I am however quite certain that he can coach better than the fragile guy whom we have at the helm.

Originally posted by Flnj86:
Slice is a great recruiter because he could sign top talent for Kentucky? The assistant at Kentucky does not have to sell recruits on Kentucky, the program attracts the top recruits.
His acumen goes back much further than just his time at Kentucky. Remember how Pittsburgh OWNED NYC when Slice was on that staff?

The lack of coaching experience for Mullin is something to watch, but the positions on paper with his credentials and the staff he's putting together makes you think he knows what he's doing and what he has to do.

Mullin will be an excellent motivator. He is of the City and his players will relate.
They'll understand that they have to box out, and not shoot dumb 3's , spread the floor, be ready for the pass, and come out like tigers in the second half of a game and the second half of the season. And if they don't , he will rip them a new one.

And if asked why one of his players is playing badly, Chris Mullin will not say," you tell me".

Great for St. John's and the conference. Us? Who the hell knows.

Rohrssen was at Kentucky just one year. That's not where he developed his reputation as a top recruiting assistant. It was in his prior stops at UNLV and especially Pittsburgh. He helped establish a New York City pipeline while at Pitt, and the program hasn't been the same since he left.

This from an RU insider: Also thinks Mullin will be the real deal and will recruit extremely well with his staff. Contrasted that Jordan, who he feels is not the guy...just doesn't have any juice when it comes to recruiting and his in-game coaching is pedestrian. I didn't realize this, but RU's last win this year was against Wisconsin! I asked if he wanted to trade Willard for Jordan and he said absolutely not!

Anyone who thinks that Slice is only successful because he recruited at UK must have had their head in the sand when he was at Pitt.

Slice and Matt A are awesome recruiters. SHU is really behind in the arms war in the Big East now.

Fred Hill has been a huge bust, Tiny has been a 1 trick pony, and Sha does the best he can.

SHU really will have their backs against the wall next year in the Metro area on and off the court.

If Cal goes to the NBA, I fully expect Briscoe at SJU.

Look for a very good season for Seton Hall next year.
roll.r191677.gif

This is great for the league and a punch in the mouth to SHU. I love it because for the Big East to succeed SJU has to be strong.

And now the challenge has been made by St John's to Seton Hall. If you want to become significant in the metro area you better do what has to be done to give your BB program it's best chance to succeed. If not you'll be looking up in the standings for a very long time.

I am sick and tired of the mediocrity of our flag ship program. Time to step up to the plate. Will it happen? It better if Seton Hall wants to become relevant on the sports scene.

Trying to minimize what St.John's is doing will not change the facts that they are on their way to becoming a force in the new Big East.Mullen is a darling of the media,has two sharks as recruiters who are tied into all the key people,plays in the garden and has unlimited resources. Keep telling yourself that he has never coached if that keeps you from the obvious. I am with Dan this is a right to Seton Hall's chin. Compare where the programs are at this moment and keep repeating the we are in the top three mantra.

Originally posted by PirateSal:

Told the board 2weeks ago it was a DONE as well as the Mullin hire 2 months ago.
Yup, good call on your part. Not surprised about Mullin but getting Slice surprised me. If Mullin can coach and run a program, watch out as St. John's has REALLY stepped up their recruiting game.

Dan
You do ask the right question of whether SH will step up to the plate as SJU and other conference schools continue to improve their programs and ours continues to wallow in mediocrity and irrelevance . You're one of the most informed posters on this Board with access to key sources both inside and outside the program and your silence on whether SH is committed to success for our flagship program is a statement in and of itself and not a positive one. Many times it's not what you say but what you don't say that is most telling and the deafening silence from SH speaks volumes and until there is some clear , convincing evidence that they are we can only conclude that they are not.

Originally posted by Halldan1:
This is great for the league and a punch in the mouth to SHU. I love it because for the Big East to succeed SJU has to be strong.

And now the challenge has been made by St John's to Seton Hall. If you want to become significant in the metro area you better do what has to be done to give your BB program it's best chance to succeed. If not you'll be looking up in the standings for a very long time.

I am sick and tired of the mediocrity of our flag ship program. Time to step up to the plate. Will it happen? It better if Seton Hall wants to become relevant on the sports scene.
ouch we all can see between the lines on this.

Fire Kevin Willard Now.

also, the only person arguing against the moves going on SJU is a know-nothing SHU homer/troll. He does not follow the game as a whole in the way alot of others that comment here do. So you're arguing with someone who is clueless & is just purposefully flaming, not actually trying to have a real discussion on the merits oF the hires. ignore ignore ignore.

This post was edited on 4/13 2:24 PM by Bobbie Solo

Improvements have been made compared to where we were during the Gonzo Era, and those should be recognized and appreciated for sure. I thought we were on our way with some of the streamlining of the reporting structure, investments made into facilities and branding with Lyons, even the "creative" coach staff turnover that led to the 2014 blockbuster class.

But all of it is for naught unless you have leadership. We don't have it right now. Our coach should be ashamed of himself for how he's handled the past two seasons.

Let's hope for the miracle turnaround next year. Sigh.

That's exactly how I feel. Time has not shifted the Big East into its eventual perspective yet, and perceptions are still being shaped. St. John's is doing right not only by themselves, but by the entire league with these hires, which prove they mean business and that powerful members of the college hoops world realize they are still a force to be reckoned with. The Big East is exponentially stronger with a strong St. John's.

Of course, in the one-on-one sense, this is brutal in terms of Seton Hall's relative competitiveness, but since it looks like our administration will once again remain content to be relevant merely by association, it gives us longer, stronger coattails to ride, at least. It's just a shame our university refused to forge itself into a powerful member of this new league before the iron started cooling.

This post was edited on 4/13 12:46 PM by SHUSource

While out at the Final Four we visited Butler University, and Hinkle Field House. They just finished a $60 million refurbish and the place is spectacular!! The surrounding town encompasses the school and there are terrific little restaurants and bars and the people could not be any friendlier. So Orange needs to get Politicians in there to do the same and allow SHU to Purchase Buildings leading to and around the Downtown area so that this will benefit both the school and the businesses. There is that park between downtown and the school that is wasted space. anytime I drive by there I never see anyone in it. a 10,000 seat arena could be built with enough parking there. These are the type of things that SHU needs to do to make themselves relevant in the BE or they might as well just go to the MAAC and play in Walsh gym.

Originally posted by hallgrad80:
Dan
You do ask the right question of whether SH will step up to the plate as SJU and other conference schools continue to improve their programs and ours continues to wallow in mediocrity and irrelevance . You're one of the most informed posters on this Board with access to key sources both inside and outside the program and your silence on whether SH is committed to success for our flagship program is a statement in and of itself and not a positive one. Many times it's not what you say but what you don't say that is most telling and the deafening silence from SH speaks volumes and until there is some clear , convincing evidence that they are we can only conclude that they are not.
You actually can make the argument that the SHU BOR DID step up by throwing excessive money and a contract buy out. That being said, you can certainly challenge their competence on overpaying someone who has accomplished nothing. Where is the accountability for the BOR, who put mens BB and the school in this situation? And why should we have faith that they'll get it right next time?

Mullin,Slice and SJU are in scramble mode. Slice is using his connections to recruit foreign players, Italian guard who is 6 ft 150 lbs, Greek center, and a center from Elevate Academy in Fl who my friend's son tells me is not very good - he lives in Fl and has watched many players. If they commit to SJU, the local media and some bloggers will build them up like they are NBA prospects. Hype,Hype and more hype. Let's wait and see how many games SJU wins on the court next year.

Gibbs will be gone after next season. I think Delgado will probably throw his name into the NBA draft. So, that would leave Whitehead (unless he has a monster year and declares but I would be shocked if that occured from what I watched last year), Rodriguez, Carrington, and a bunch of unknowns for '16-17. Every other team looks to be better besides DePaul. If this team doesn't make the tourney next season then I see this team is a bottom feeder for a long, long time. IMO, this looks like a 7th or 8th place team in the conference. If Whitehead is the McDonalds all American that we all thought he was going to be we could be a little better but I don't see this being a big time team currently. And I don't see them buying out Willard and hiring someone for big money after that either. I think the basketball program is in enormous trouble. Would love to be proven wrong.

Mullin,Slice and SJU are in scramble mode. Slice is using his connections to recruit foreign players, Italian guard who is 6 ft 150 lbs, Greek center, and a center from Elevate Academy in Fl who my friend's son tells me is not very good - he lives in Fl and has watched many players. If they commit to SJU, the local media and some bloggers will build them up like they are NBA prospects. Hype,Hype and more hype. Let's wait and see how many games SJU wins on the court next year.
You are just hilarious.

All of those guys were recruited by Lavin and Mullin is still interested and for good reason.

The Italian guard just played in the Nike Hoops Summit.

The Greek center is a monster.

The center from Elevate Academy is wait for it.............................wait for it...............................wait for it................FROM the CANARIAS BASKETBALL ACADEMY!!!!!! And he committed to the Johnnies today.

Sport 44 Your post is all speculation, let's wait for next season and see how many games we win on the court. If you know what the future holds, then tell me what #'s to play in the lottery. Question If Jordan does not play next season, then who is in the back court for SJU? I will take SHU roster over SJU next year. Remember SHU beat SJU last year when SJU had 4 seniors and a coach with coaching experience.

Originally posted by sportsfantatic44:
Gibbs will be gone after next season. I think Delgado will probably throw his name into the NBA draft. So, that would leave Whitehead (unless he has a monster year and declares but I would be shocked if that occured from what I watched last year), Rodriguez, Carrington, and a bunch of unknowns for '16-17. Every other team looks to be better besides DePaul. If this team doesn't make the tourney next season then I see this team is a bottom feeder for a long, long time. IMO, this looks like a 7th or 8th place team in the conference. If Whitehead is the McDonalds all American that we all thought he was going to be we could be a little better but I don't see this being a big time team currently. And I don't see them buying out Willard and hiring someone for big money after that either. I think the basketball program is in enormous trouble. Would love to be proven wrong.
At this point. Whitehead has Mike Rosario written all over him. Sad.

SPK The Italian guard did nothing in the game and will not be a good PG on the college level - not only my words. He can hit an open 3, will not drive around anyone and is a terrible defender who needs to put on weight and muscle. SPK you are so predictable- if someone commits to SJU then they are the best thing since (slice) bread. Sima is not very good, now if you listen to the NYC Post or Zags you might have a different opinion but if you watched him play then you would know the truth.

I agree with this. Mullin is getting lots of media attention for being aggressive on the recruiting trail, but let him land a few big-time recruits before crowning him King of Local Recruiting.

Judging from the St. John's roster from this past season, the Lavin was doing just fine in that aspect of the game. He also took the St. John's job after leading UCLA to six NCAA bids in seven years, including one Elite Eight and four Sweet Sixteens. He then led St. John's to two NCAA bids and two NIT bids in four full seasons (his other season consisted of just four games due to cancer treatment). Not a bad 11 years for a guy some people claim cannot coach. Yet there are people who are already sold on the notion that Mullin is an upgrade on Lavin. I'm not saying a less-experienced head coach can't be better than a more-experienced one, but everyone needs to remember that Mullin has zero games under his belt while Lavin had 359 (226-133). So it will likely take a while for Mullin to prove adept at the bench-coaching part of the job, He also has to prove he can handle the other various aspects of running a college program. It's not a slam dunk hire, despite what many of Mullins old fans want us to believe. It will take a few years before Mullin the coach will be deemed a success or a failure.

Isaiah Whitehead is going to have a great season. He broke his foot and missed 6 weeks, then did not have the time to regain his conditioning. I watched him play vs top competition in The City of Palms Tourney and do work vs Ben Simmons and Montverde Academy. Solo did you ever play basketball? Who are you to make such a crazy statement.

This post was edited on 4/13 4:39 PM by Flnj86

Isaiah Whitehead is going to have a great season.
It might be better to say "Isaiah Whitehead should have a better season." Great? How do you know for sure? "Great" is a word that's way overused in sports. Let Whitehead improve his 1:1 turnover-to-assists ratio as a point-guard first, if that's the position he's going to play.

It's nice being positive, but what you're doing his placing unreasonable expectations on him. Let's just hope he continues to improve.

Remember SHU beat SJU last year when SJU had 4 seniors and a coach with coaching experience.
By that logic, Rutgers was better than Wisconsin this year, too.

Did Kaminsky play vs Ru? Yeah That Kaminisky who won numerous player of the year awards.

JImsouls. Some of the posts on this board get me so fired up that I then post without thinking first, I agree with wording in your post. When did Zags convert his site to the SJU Redstorm.com? Again another well thought out post by you regarding SJU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT