ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Lyons publicly endorses Coach Willard

Fordham_57

All World
Jun 3, 2001
There was a segment on News 12 New Jersey last night wherein Pat Lyons came out publicly and endored coach Willard, and stated he expected next year to be a fabulous year for the Pirates.

He stated that many fences had to be mended when Willard came aboard and that he had faced a tremendous challenge to rebuild our fractured program. They mentioned the locker room problems and Sina leaving. Coach Willard was shown in a press conference refusing to address team chemistry and citing the youth and injuries in a tough conference.

Now that we know for sure that Kevin Willard is coming back, can we please have a detente on anymore Kevin Willard bashing, and get back to normalcy on this board. Please. Frank

Agree All Seton Hall fans now need to get behind the players,team and coaches. Look forward to having a great season next year. Follow Seton Hall recruiting.

just cause he's coming back doesn't mean we cant continue to bash him. he stinks he's a bad coach that didn't change.

Hobbs was interviewed, not Lyons. It's bizarre that a "Seton Hall Dean and Professor of Law" is the one speaking publicly about the basketball program.

It's just enough with the excuses. The expectations will be high next year if he keeps the roster together. I hope he finally figures it out.

Here's the segment. Thank you News 12 for helpfully describing it as "NJ Sportscast, March 31."

http://newjersey.news12.com/multimedia/new-jersey-sportscast-march-31-1.10169375

Originally posted by Fordham_57:
There was a segment on News 12 New Jersey last night wherein Pat Lyons came out publicly and endored coach Willard, and stated he expected next year to be a fabulous year for the Pirates.

He stated that many fences had to be mended when Willard came aboard and that he had faced a tremendous challenge to rebuild our fractured program. They mentioned the locker room problems and Sina leaving. Coach Willard was shown in a press conference refusing to address team chemistry and citing the youth and injuries in a tough conference.

Now that we know for sure that Kevin Willard is coming back, can we please have a detente on anymore Kevin Willard bashing, and get back to normalcy on this board. Please. Frank
No offense Frank, but Kevin deserves every bit of criticism until he actually produces some results. IMO he has used up every bit of good will currency over the past five years and deserves nothing from the fan base. We will all express our support or lack of support as we see fit, but don't expect the critique of our coach to end based on a public vote of confidence from the AD.

Kevin Willard is horrible and I want him gone and so does 90% of the fan base. He is the worst X's and O's Coach in the Big East, the worst recruiter in the Big East, and the biggest coward in the Big East. Lyons could through a friggen parade for him but it won't make a difference since no one will show up. We are sentenced to one more year of being the dregs of the Big East before he is canned the rebuilding can begin. He gives no hope that he can turn this around. Whenever adversity hit Willard folded like a cheap suit and began clapping til the pain went away. I see zero alternatives to another season of .300 Big East basketball, terrible recruiting, garbage offensive sets, no adjustments, and no discipline. I will continue to root for this team and the players, but until we rise from the ashes of yet another collapse under Kevin Willard I will not get my hopes up.

That was the first segment or coverage I have seen that actually mentioned some of the real issues. As Hall28 said it is bizarre that Hobbs is the one that is being interviewed. He has also been rumored as the guy that has been the most outspoken in his support of Coach Willard so I guess he wants to continue to be the front man. Strange but true and only at Seton Hall.

What I do not like about what Hobbs said is that he implied its a tough job and all of that. Does he understand he is continuing the rep that SHU is a tough job? It's terrible to me that he is trying to make his decision look good by implying it's a tough job. He could have easily said more positive stuff and not implied that in his interview.

Let's get behind the team for the upcoming year and support our players. I am looking forward to the season because it feels like it's gonna be a very long off season.
This post was edited on 4/1 11:18 AM by Section112

Originally posted by HALL28:

Hobbs was interviewed, not Lyons. It's bizarre that a "Seton Hall Dean and Professor of Law" is the one speaking publicly about the basketball program.

http://newjersey.news12.com/multimedia/new-jersey-sportscast-march-31-1.10169375
Probably cover for Lyons for when he has to do the dirty deed after next season.

Still, yet another example of SHU not getting it.

Willard, Hobbs, Lyons, SHU BOR, SHU administration have all done irreparable harm to the Seton Hall mens basketball brand.

a total shu move; the outgoing law dean gives exclusive, is he not going to endorse the man he chose?

this makes shu look so small, par for the course

Willard, Hobbs, and Lyons deserve all the bashing they have received and will continue to get. KW is a horrible game coach and personnel manager, Hobbs and Lyons and the BOR are fools for giving him that contract and ridiculous buyout. SHU is clueless. But we have a weight room...yipeeeeee!

Originally posted by Rimas:
Kevin Willard is horrible and I want him gone and so does 90% of the fan base. He is the worst X's and O's Coach in the Big East, the worst recruiter in the Big East, and the biggest coward in the Big East. Lyons could through a friggen parade for him but it won't make a difference since no one will show up. We are sentenced to one more year of being the dregs of the Big East before he is canned the rebuilding can begin. He gives no hope that he can turn this around. Whenever adversity hit Willard folded like a cheap suit and began clapping til the pain went away. I see zero alternatives to another season of .300 Big East basketball, terrible recruiting, garbage offensive sets, no adjustments, and no discipline. I will continue to root for this team and the players, but until we rise from the ashes of yet another collapse under Kevin Willard I will not get my hopes up.
If 90% was true he would be gone..

Originally posted by jcalz88:

If 90% was true he would be gone..
Not really. There are only a few people running the show. It's up to them.

If 90 percent want Willard gone but 90 percent of that 90 percent keep showing up to games he stays. Seton Hall knows they have you in their back pocket. They're playing you all for suckers. Then you come here to complain that this program you support is an embarrassment and you're fed up with it...and then you write another check to Seton Hall. Your complaints here mean nothing. Less than nothing. As long as they keep getting your money they DO NOT CARE. And a year from now you'll do the same thing all over again. But keep beating your chest about what wonderful loyal fans you are, how you'd never stop supporting your beloved program. It's your continued support which allows Seton Hall to keep this pathetic coach for as long as they damned well please. Suckers.

This post was edited on 4/1 11:33 AM by bd98

Jcalz....Show me any statement that is wrong? Where is the X's and O's? The Motivation? The Discipline? The Adjustments? Where? The beginning of the season against cupcakes? Once he is challenged he runs and hides. Refute that please.

"As Dean of the Law School Patrick Hobbs has helped shape sports at Seton Hall for almost 20 years".....What????

And the comment about him rebuilding bridges with local coaches???? How has that worked out on the recruiting front.
This post was edited on 4/1 11:37 AM by phi_pirates

Rimas, not using excuses b/c many teams can deal w/ injuries i.e louisville losing jones unlike we can. nor am i am saying willard is a terrific coach, but

if whitehead does not get injured mid season how do we end the year?

Is Hobbs going to end up on the BOR after he retires? Or is he already on it?

When Whitehead was injured we won our biggest games and played our best basketball...FACT. Willard could not get him back in the lineup and maintain the team chemistry. That's on him.

I'm so glad that somebody in an official capacity has spoken publicly to support Willard. The prolonged silence was ridiculous.

If you're going to keep a coach you cannot leave him hanging the way they did with Orr, who was royally screwed over with vague comments for more than a year. It destroyed his recruiting.

I agree that the team will be much better next season.

As I have mentioned, the SHU players should use Kentucky as an example. If nine McDonald's All-Americans can play together, share playing time, get along and play hard, there's no reason they can't wise up and do the same.

Originally posted by shugrads:
Rimas, not using excuses b/c many teams can deal w/ injuries i.e louisville losing jones unlike we can. nor am i am saying willard is a terrific coach, but

if whitehead does not get injured mid season how do we end the year?
The Hall was 4-4 in League play without him, 2-8 with him plus the blowout loss to Marguette in the BE tourney.

Willards teams at The Hall fade down the stretch, its not just fluff, the facts are there.
This post was edited on 4/1 11:48 AM by dcPirate

There might be 10 fans on this board that post the same thing over and over, 90% of Seton Hall fans- now that is funny. You are only a very tiny,tiny portion of all Seton Hall fans.

Originally posted by 400SOAVE:
I'm so glad that somebody in an official capacity has spoken publicly to support Willard. The prolonged silence was ridiculous.

If you're going to keep a coach you cannot leave him hanging the way they did with Orr, who was royally screwed over with vague comments for more than a year. It destroyed his recruiting.

I agree that the team will be much better next season.

As I have mentioned, the SHU players should use Kentucky as an example. If nine McDonald's All-Americans can play together, share playing time, get along and play hard, there's no reason they can't wise up and do the same.
Someone who is responsible for this mess and is on his way out? I'm glad they finally made some sort of public statement, but for it to be Hobbs is futher indication of how lost our admin is.

Originally posted by Flnj86:
Agree All Seton Hall fans now need to get behind the players,team and coaches. Look forward to having a great season next year. Follow Seton Hall recruiting.

image_zpstwec6f4n.jpg

I get it. As predicted. Lets all be good little lemmings and ignore the truth that outsiders are so well aware of. The ostrich defense will not work. Lyons shows his true colors; he got his job due to Willard and they are tied at the hip. Done with this circus.

LOL at Hobbs still framing this as a clean-up after Bobby Gonzalez. He got his free pass on that for about three to four years when he couldn't bring in really any recruits of significance.

Nothing that happened during the Bobby Gonzalez era should be brought up anymore. The fans want answers about how a team goes from 13-3 to not even making the NIT. Short of trying to lose games, it's just about impossible, yet this coach managed to do it.

No one is arguing with Hobbs that Willard didn't have a tough job. We're arguing he's proven to be incapable of doing it.

And I know it's an older quote but this is the first time I've seen video of it. I guess the first rule about having chemistry issues, is not to talk about chemistry issues.

Originally posted by Fordham_57:

This is the biggest Crock of Shit I have heard on the board. It makes me question Pat Lyons or Hobbs. They are still using the "mend fences" and "we are young excuse".

Lets face it, Willard is not head coach in the Big East material.

I will definitely support the players, but I will be the first to start the Fire Willard Chants as soon as things go bad next year.

We have been a team of excuses for the past 5 years. LETS BECOME DO ers

When I read the title of this thread, I thought finally. Finally Pat Lyons made a public statement regarding Willard. Although I would move on from Willard I could at least respect Lyons and the SHU admin for publically making a statement.

Perfect example, in less than 36 hours after rumors of Travis Ford ,the coach of Oklahoma St., would be fired. His AD makes a public statement supporting him now and into the future. And you know what that does, it ends the speculation, it confirms to recruits that the coaching staff will remain intact, it keeps the fan base and alumni informed, it keeps the fan base from playing the role of AD on message boards and rallying to get the coach fired which looks horrible to future recruits.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12595603/oklahoma-state-cowboys-fully-committed-travis-ford-ad-says

Jcalz....Show me any statement that is wrong? Where is the X's and O's? The Motivation? The Discipline? The Adjustments? Where? The beginning of the season against cupcakes? Once he is challenged he runs and hides. Refute that please.
I just said the 90% number you threw out is not even close. If I were to make an educated guess its less then 35%.... All that matters is money, if you want change pull your tickets and donations. If you wont, then ya need to stop...

Not sure how anyone can watch that clip and think Seton Hall has any clue.

I just said the 90% number you threw out is not even close. If I were to make an educated guess its less then 35%.... All that matters is money, if you want change pull your tickets and donations. If you wont, then ya need to stop...
I don't know where you guys are getting your #s from (thin air), but to think well under half the fan base wants a new coach who has the record, recruiting ineptitude, and personnel issues that KW has had the last 5 years seems very low.

JCalz is right, well at least about it being less than 90%. I know one big, big donor, and one BOR member, and they are both parroting what Hobbs is saying. At least they were when I saw them at the BET.

Originally posted by HallBall10:
When I read the title of this thread, I thought finally. Finally Pat Lyons made a public statement regarding Willard. Although I would move on from Willard I could at least respect Lyons and the SHU admin for publically making a statement.

Perfect example, in less than 36 hours after rumors of Travis Ford ,the coach of Oklahoma St., would be fired. His AD makes a public statement supporting him now and into the future. And you know what that does, it ends the speculation, it confirms to recruits that the coaching staff will remain intact, it keeps the fan base and alumni informed, it keeps the fan base from playing the role of AD on message boards and rallying to get the coach fired which looks horrible to future recruits.
The Travis Ford situation is not the best comparison to our situation. Yesterday, espn.com had a front page story putting Ford's return at only 50-50. In our case, there have been no negative leaks on Espn or anywhere else for that matter. In spite of Lyons' disappearing act, SHU has masterfully controlled the message. The problem is many people here don't like the message.

Originally posted by HallBall10:

And the AD had no power in that situation, so his statement is meaningless. The only voice that mattered belonged to T. Boone Pickens, the near billionaire who would have had to pay Ford's buyout. When he gave his public blessing of Ford yesterday afternoon (after it being in limbo for at least three days), then Ford's job was secure.

Originally posted by donnie_baseball:

JCalz is right, well at least about it being less than 90%. I know one big, big donor, and one BOR member, and they are both parroting what Hobbs is saying. At least they were when I saw them at the BET.
Donnie - did they give any rationale for their thought process? Not sure I really value a BOR member's opinion too much right now, but i'd be curious what the big donor had to say. Or is it all about the too-huge buyout for everyone?

I like Lyons a lot, but he has to be the one giving this interview. He is supposedly in charge of the athletic dept, not Hobbs. Why would Hobbs give or News 12 even want comments from him about Willard's status. Like many things related to SHU sports, this makes absolutely no sense.

Originally posted by phi_pirates:

Originally posted by donnie_baseball:

Donnie - did they give any rationale for their thought process? Not sure I really value a BOR member's opinion too much right now, but i'd be curious what the big donor had to say. Or is it all about the too-huge buyout for everyone?
Nope, neither "argued" with my points, but both said that he's fixed the image of the program, he brought in X and Y, he should be given more time. In both cases, I politely disagreed.

Originally posted by Pirate6711:

And the AD had no power in that situation, so his statement is meaningless. The only voice that mattered belonged to T. Boone Pickens, the near billionaire who would have had to pay Ford's buyout. When he gave his public blessing of Ford yesterday afternoon (after it being in limbo for at least three days), then Ford's job was secure.
T. Boone Pickens is a great name.

that video is maddening. Do not watch unless you're one of the blind sheep that still follows this group of empty suits. I wanted to toss my monitor just now. Complete bullshit excuses, no tough questions or follow-ups, and WHERE THE F*CK IS THE AD??? it's HIS job to address this nonsense, not Hobbs. That alone tells you all you need to know.

Not attending another game (except Wichita State) until they fire this loser. Completely unacceptable what they think they can get away with there.

I guess I can understand why Hobbs was picked to be
the public spokesman . He's gone from SH in a couple of months so if there's negative blowback he won't have to respond in any official capacity; he hired Willard so he can defend his being the spokesperson not Lyons ; it allows Lyons to distance himself from the first public statement on Kevin's status ; and it leaves Lyons free to keep his position on keeping or replacing Kevin private.

There is however one serious issue that I see and that is who the right person at SH should be to speak to the issue of Kevin's status and it should not be the retiring law school dean. If it's not going to be the school's president, the chairman of the BOR , the chairman of the BOR's athletic committee then it should be the AD . Look at who is defending the retention of their coaches at Indiana and Oklahoma. State, it's the school's AD not a dean of their school of agriculture. The bigger question in my mind is just what authority Lyons has over the men's basketball program when it comes to issues like the way is being run by the head coach and evaluating the head coach's performance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT