ADVERTISEMENT

Recruit Visits

g0pirates

Freshman
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2022
Jordan Derkack is scheduled to visit SHU. Anyone else?

Side note on Derkack- 6’6” G who won DPOY at Merrimack. SHU, Rutgers, Penn St, USC are frontrunners… so clearly he’s well-regarded. His tape looks pretty bad though - anyone familiar with him? Thoughts?

Side note on Derkack- 6’6” G who won DPOY at Merrimack. SHU, Rutgers, Penn St, USC are frontrunners… so clearly he’s well-regarded. His tape looks pretty bad though - anyone familiar with him? Thoughts?
Horrible 3 point shooter (27%)
Averaged 4 turnover per game (amongst the highest in the nation)
mid level athleticism

Saw him play at Sacred Heart (Living in CT I go to a lot of Sacred Heart and Fairfield games when they don't conflict with Hall games) He is a baller, plays good D and boards. Volume scorer on a good team.

Younger brother is a Top 100 player.

Reactions: Jerry1992
Seems to play with intensity and was defensive player of the year in the NEC and we need some depth.
don’t read too much into this as Merrimack was known for playing 2-3 zone in a league with limited big talent and not exactly known for dead eye shooters.

Reactions: Merge
Saw him play live, I think he can be All-Big East in 2 years, he's really really good. He was better at Merrimack than Cam Spencer was at Loyola MD. Spencer had benefit of 5th year this year at UConn that we'll never see from Derkack, but I think Derkack is tremendous prospect.

Reactions: CT Pirate
Saw him play live, I think he can be All-Big East in 2 years, he's really really good. He was better at Merrimack than Cam Spencer was at Loyola MD. Spencer had benefit of 5th year this year at UConn that we'll never see from Derkack, but I think Derkack is tremendous prospect.
Cam Spencer shot 43 and 46% from 3 in his first 2 years at Loyola. Derkack shot 27% from 3 and doesn’t have the athleticism to attack the hoop in the big east

Cam Spencer shot 43 and 46% from 3 in his first 2 years at Loyola. Derkack shot 27% from 3 and doesn’t have the athleticism to attack the hoop in the big east
I think Derkack is still growing as an athlete, he's a real 6'5, much more athletic than Spencer and despite the zone at Merrimack why he was Defensive POY. I would take him in a heartbeat, the upside is very high

We need rotation players and if he can get his shot right he would be a nice fit.

Let's see, we need a point guard, a shooting guard or two, a power forward, a center, several bench players--- in other words, a lot of help. The pitch can be--not a lot of money but plenty of playing time. Bill this as an entry level position & build your resume for the big bucks down the road. Welcome to the sh*t show. I'm done with it--

Reactions: shupat08
Let's see, we need a point guard, a shooting guard or two, a power forward, a center, several bench players--- in other words, a lot of help. The pitch can be--not a lot of money but plenty of playing time. Bill this as an entry level position & build your resume for the big bucks down the road. Welcome to the sh*t show. I'm done with it--
As bad as you think it is for us now, think about all the low-majors and mid-majors who are dealing with this who have even less NIL than we do. They are in an even worse position.

Heck, even the SEC and Big 10 have to deal with this. You dont have to look any further than just down the road at Rutgers who have multiple players leaving to other teams via transfer portal. It's gonna be constant turnover every year. The current situation is even worse than professional sports at this point. You'll routinely have players playing for 3 or 4 different teams during their "college" careers.

Understand it is new normal. But it really stinks in my opinion. I hate the constant turnover, NIL, and new transfer rule. Used to love watching players stay three or four years and develop. Oh well. Got to deal with it or start watching something else. Btw. Bring on Derkack. Think he can help out. :)

Reactions: Seton75
I don't know a great deal about this kid but he was the NEC Player of the Year and the Defensive POY. The best player on the best team (13-3 in NEC). He carried a huge workload, a 31% usage rate, which was higher than Kadary's. He would not be used that way in the BE.

When I watch his highlights, he definitely has some skills. Good passer, attacks the basket well and uses his body well to draw fouls and finish well. Uses his size to post up smaller defenders and has multiple moves. If he refines his shot selection and sticks to his strengths, he could be an adequate shooter. I think he'd be a 3 in the BE who you could use to run offense through at times.

His stats are similar to Quincy McKnight after 2 years in the NEC. Difference is Derkack did it for a winning team - they weren't stats pumped up on a losing team. Kid isn't going to be a star but he could help us. Years ago, he would have to sit out and could take a year to improve and adjust to the BE level. That was good for most players jumping in competition.

As bad as you think it is for us now, think about all the low-majors and mid-majors who are dealing with this who have even less NIL than we do. They are in an even worse position.

Heck, even the SEC and Big 10 have to deal with this. You dont have to look any further than just down the road at Rutgers who have multiple players leaving to other teams via transfer portal. It's gonna be constant turnover every year. The current situation is even worse than professional sports at this point. You'll routinely have players playing for 3 or 4 different teams during their "college" careers.
I wish we had multiple players leave and arguably the 2 best high schoolers in the country coming in. Just sayin’

That entire family plays basketball as a pedigree. I went to high school with his father and uncle, who both played. His father was a 1,100 point scorer at Florida International. I think his sister just scored 2,000 points in high school and is a McD All American nominee too.

Reactions: mbraue
That entire family plays basketball as a pedigree. I went to high school with his father and uncle, who both played. His father was a 1,100 point scorer at Florida International. I think his sister just scored 2,000 points in high school and is a McD All American nominee too.

Out of curiosity, do you know if he is related to a teacher in Scotch plains / Fanwood? My daughter had a Mrs Derkack last year. I was going to ask her but haven’t seen her yet.

woah a white PG? when was the last time we had that? sina was the last white guard and his tenure was short and out of touch

Chaunce Jenkins from ODU would add some needed scoring avg 16 pts but not sure if he is more of a 2 than a pg

Last edited:
Right, and the next game we knocked off Nova in a wild OT game when Carrington was tremendous in the OT. The atmosphere in that one went thru the roof win Hart blatantly tripped Angel running up court when the Hall was on a fast break.

Right, and the next game we knocked off Nova in a wild OT game when Carrington was tremendous in the OT. The atmosphere in that one went thru the roof win Hart blatantly tripped Angel running up court when the Hall was on a fast break.
didnt hart step on a shu players head?

Reactions: shupat08
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT