Butler
Prov
Marq
Hall
Creighton
DePaul
St Johns

Dunn Player of the Year

Mentions D. Gordon as an impact transfer. Mentions B. Anderson has an under the radar transfer. Nothing else on the hall.

7th isnt that bad of a preseason prediction. Seeing St. Johns last is weird cause Depaul literally pays rent on the spot, but im not complaining.

Reactions: PirateSal
7th isnt that bad of a preseason prediction. Seeing St. Johns last is weird cause Depaul literally pays rent on the spot, but im not complaining.

Remember DePaul wasn't last last year and I don't expect them to be this year either. They could finish as high as 7th.

In his article he also did write this:

Seton Hall's staff is expecting a major jump from Khadeen Carrington as a sophomore. The 6-3 lefty averaged 8.8 points last season as a freshman and could emerge as a borderline all-league player. The Pirates lost two starters last season when both Jaren Sina and Sterling Gibbs opted to transfer, but still return three quality pieces in Carrington, Isaiah Whitehead, and reigning Big East Rookie of the Year Angel Delgado.

Reactions: arcdreams
We usually finish where the experts pick us. Seventh place means an NIT at best. That also means Willard should be gone, but I think the board of trustees sees it differently.

What else can Rothstein say about the Hall? Too many question marks and looks very much like a flawed team. Picked 7th in the Big East in a coaches 6th year here. Maybe NIT, maybe not. Yup. That should excite everyone.

Will somebody please tell me what happens if Whitehead or Carrington get hurt?

Gordon starts and either Soffer or Singh plays more guard this year than expected. A few years ago we had two kids not in the same stratosphere as these two kid trying to play guard. What happens to PC if Dunne gets hurt? Schools like us lose one of their three best players, it is a huge loss.

Ultimately that's the coaches job to have depth and to adjust when stuff happens. The good ones do. Kevin has done neither. He has done a great job of making excuses when there are injuries.

I root for the team and players to do well no matter what, but you have to wonder.... Is it best for the long term future of SHU basketball if we finish 7th or 10th this year??

Bottom line it should be tourney or bust this season. Nobody wants to hear any excuses anymore. My biggest fear is that we sneak into NIT and administration sees this as a monumental achievement. If that's the case well then I give up.

7th in the Big East is not getting into the NIT.

And i'm not so high on Providence as I was a few months ago. Tyler Harris would have been real good for them.

Five biggest offseason questions for Big East basketball
By Jon Rothstein | CBS Sports
July 29, 2015 11:02 am ET
072915krisdunn.jpg

Providence will need some help for Kris Dunn this season. (USATSI)

1. Is the Big East on par with the other power five conferences?

We'll see after this season. This new version of the Big East Conference had six teams in the NCAA Tournament last March after earning just four bids to the field of 68 in its inaugural campaign in 2013-14. The league excelled last November and December during the non-conference portion of the schedule and that allowed the Big East to have more teams in the bracket than it had the previous year. But here is one thing to remember: this league has only had one team -- Xavier -- in the past two years advance to the second weekend of the NCAA Tournament. That has to change if the Big East is going to be viewed as an equal to other power five leagues. Villanova and Georgetown both look capable of achieving that during the upcoming year, but after that this conference is truly wide open.

2. Which freshman is drastically flying under-the-radar?

Georgetown's Jessie Govan. Villanova's Jalen Brunson and Marquette's Henry Ellenson were immediately put in bold print when they committed to their respective schools last fall, but Govan has somehow fallen through the cracks. It won't stay that way for long. The 6-foot-10 big man will be an immediate starter for the Hoyas at center and is beyond ready offensively to make an impact. Armed with soft hands, an accurate touch around the rim, and a body that can create space around the rim, Govan plays like a redshirt junior even though he's yet to play a game at the college level. This will wind up being one of the best big men in the Class of 2016.

3. Who will be Xavier's point guard?

There's no quick answer -- at least not yet. The Musketeers graduated a true pass-first point guard in Dee Davis and there's no incumbent to replace him. Chris Mack has two options who played last season -- Larry Austin and Myles Davis as well as redshirt freshman Edmond Sumner who boasts good size at 6-5. Sumner and Davis are not built in the form of a true floor general and Austin may not be ready to assume heavy minutes as a starter in the Big East. Xavier is built for success at the other four spots on the floor and has two potential all-conference players in Trevon Blueitt and Jalen Reynolds. But this team still won't enter next season with a known commodity at the most important position in college basketball. That could make for an interesting November and December for the Musketeers who travel to Michigan and Wake Forest, play three games in the Orlando Classic during Thanksgiving Weekend, and play host to Missouri, Cincinnati, and Auburn all before they ever play a game in the Big East.

4. Does Providence have enough of a supporting cast around Kris Dunn?

Time will tell. Ed Cooley led the Friars to a Big East Tournament title in 2014 with a six-man rotation and it will interesting to see how much he uses Providence's bench last season. This team lost their likely starting center when Paschal Chukwu decided to transfer and his potential replacement Alex Owens was unable to qualify academically. That means that the Friars will have to play smaller and quicker with players like Jalen Lindsey, Ben Bentil, Kyron Cartwright, and freshmen Ryan Fazekas, Drew Edwards, and Ricky Council to have a chance to earn minutes next to Dunn. The wild card to watch next year for Providence? Rodney Bullock. The Friars' staff has raved about this 6-8 forward for two seasons, but he's yet to play a minute for this program since he was suspended two years ago and missed last season with an ACL injury. Dunn is pound-for-pound the best point guard in college basketball and he's shown that he's capable of carrying a team if that's what the circumstances require. That may have to happen until Lindsey, Bullock, orBentil emerges as a legitimate double-figure scorer next season.

5. Who is the sleeper?

Marquette. The Golden Eagles went 4-14 in Big East play last year in Steve Wojciechowski's first season in the conference and he has them primed to be a factor in year two. Marquette will likely have the Big East's best power forward-center combination in Henry Ellenson and Luke Fischer (11.0 points, 4.8 rebounds per game, 61.0 percent from the floor in 2014-15) as well as several capable returning rotation players in Duane Wilson, Jajuan Johnson, and Sandy Cohen. The Golden Eagles also have other potential impact first-year players in 6-5 wing Haanif Cheatham and Traci Carter, who could be this team's starting point guard. This group has yet to prove it can win or be in unison each time it takes the floor, but Marquette has talent. And talent in a league that's wide open after Villanova and Georgetown could go an awfully long way.

This and That

• The one guy that continues to be overlooked in Villanova's program is Phil Booth. There's been a consistent amount of buzz surrounding Ryan Arcidiacono, Josh Hart, and incoming freshman Jalen Brunson, but Booth continues to slide under-the-radar -- he shouldn't. The 6-3 point guard had a big hand in the Wildcats' 33-win season a year ago as a freshman and should be even better as a sophomore. Booth averaged 5.8 points in 14.5 minutes per game a year ago while shooting an impressive 56.3 percent from the field and 48.5 percent from long distance. Another thing about Booth? He never turns the ball over. The Baltimore native only tallied a total of 27 turnovers last season in 521 minutes played.

Butler will add a pair of transfers who should be rotation players in Tyler Lewis (NC State) and Jordan Gathers (St. Bonaventure). The 5-11 Lewis is a former Top-100 recruit out of high school while Gathers averaged 8.2 points per game two years ago for the Bonnies while shooting a solid 36.0 percent from 3-point range. Both players should take pressure off do-everything forward Roosevelt Jones (12.7 points, 5.2 rebounds, 3.7 assists per game in 2014-15), who should make a run at Big East Player of the Year.

• How excruciating was last year for Creighton? The Bluejays lost seven games in Big East play by four points or less and finished 14-19 overall. Greg McDermott's team should have an improved talent base, but it will be tested early. Creighton visits both Indiana and Oklahoma before conference play begins and also has to host Arizona State and Nebraska in Omaha.

Seton Hall's staff is expecting a major jump from Khadeen Carrington as a sophomore. The 6-3 lefty averaged 8.8 points last season as a freshman and could emerge as a borderline all-league player. The Pirates lost two starters last season when both Jaren Sina and Sterling Gibbs opted to transfer, but still return three quality pieces in Carrington, Isaiah Whitehead, and reigning Big East Rookie of the Year Angel Delgado.

• How will St. John's fare in Chris Mullin's inaugural season as head coach of his alma mater? Nobody really knows. The Red Storm's top returning scorer from last year's team is Amar Alibegovic, who averaged 1.5 points per game and there's a bevy of newcomers that will arrive in Jamaica as unproven commodities in college basketball. This is the mystery team in the Big East Conference.

1. Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 11h11 hours ago
    5 Big East Breakout Guys: I. Copeland (Gtown), J.P. Macura (Xavier), B. Bentil (PC), T. Wideman (Butler), K. Jenkins (Nova).
    Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 11h11 hours ago
    5 Under-The-Radar Big East Freshman: K. Johnson (Gtown), T. Carter (Marquette), M. Ellison (SJU), E. Sumner (Xavier), J. Patton (Creighton).
    5 Impact Big East Freshman: J. Brunson (Nova), J. Govan (Gtown), M. Derrickson (Gtown), H. Ellenson (Marquette), H. Cheatham (Marquette).
    5 Under-The-Radar Big East Transfers: J. Gathers (BU), A. Agau (Gtown), B. Anderson (SHU), D. Williams (SJU), R. M'vouika (SJU).
    roth_bigger.jpg
    1. Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 11h11 hours ago
      5 Impact Big East Transfers: T. Lewis (Butler), M. Watson (Creighton), C. Huff (Creighton), D. Johnson (SJU), D. Gordon (SHU).
      Big East Preseason Sleeper: Marquette.
      Big East Preseason Player of the Year: Kris Dunn, Providence.

Big East Preseason First Team: K. Dunn (PC), R. Arcidiacono (Nova), D. Smith-Rivera (Georgetown), R. Jones (Butler), D. Ochefu (Nova)
      Big East Offseason Power Rankings: Villanova, Georgetown, Xavier, Butler, Providence, Marquette, Seton Hall, Creighton, DePaul, St. John's.

7th about right unfortunately. Plus KW's teams down the stretch play like they're from the Philippines - the Manilla. Folders. History and coaching acumen not on SH's side. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I am. :(

7th about right unfortunately. Plus KW's teams down the stretch play like they're from the Philippines - the Manilla. Folders. History and coaching acumen not on SH's side. Hope I'm wrong, but I doubt I am. :(
Manilla Folders??? LMAO

SPK, I completely agree about Prov. I think we all agree it's gtown & nova atop and then butler & x & then a significant drop off. You probably have to give prov the benefit of the doubt because they have the best player & coach of teams 5-10 right?

SPK, I completely agree about Prov. I think we all agree it's gtown & nova atop and then butler & x & then a significant drop off. You probably have to give prov the benefit of the doubt because they have the best player & coach of teams 5-10 right?

Maybe, but I'd put Providence, Creighton, Seton Hall, and Marquette all together in a tier, then DePaul and St. John's.

Why Creighton ahead of Depaul? Depaul swept them last year, would have the best player on the court, and upgraded at coaching position. I know Creighton has those 2 transfers but they lost their 2 best players from last year. If St Johns wasn't so bad, I'd put Creighton in a tier with them.

Why Creighton ahead of Depaul? Depaul swept them last year, would have the best player on the court, and upgraded at coaching position. I know Creighton has those 2 transfers but they lost their 2 best players from last year. If St Johns wasn't so bad, I'd put Creighton in a tier with them.

Just an opinion.

Why put Seton Hall ahead of DePaul, doesn't the EXACT same reasoning apply?

I guess so except my logic would be DePaul doesn't have anyone with the talent of Whitehead or Delgado.

Maybe, but I'd put Providence, Creighton, Seton Hall, and Marquette all together in a tier, then DePaul and St. John's.
SPK
The only difference between our view of the BE this year is I have Marquette just below the consensus top 4 and then PC, SH and Creighton in the third tier followed by DePaul and SJU. I believe that Marquette has quality at center in Fischer, the best incoming freshman in Ellenson at the PF position plus other pieces of a very good freshman class.

SPK
The only difference between our view of the BE this year is I have Marquette just below the consensus top 4 and then PC, SH and Creighton in the third tier followed by DePaul and SJU. I believe that Marquette has quality at center in Fischer, the best incoming freshman in Ellenson at the PF position plus other pieces of a very good freshman class.

Just too many new faces for Marquette, they have potential as a team but we know how that goes.

SPK I said DePaul doesn't have the talent of a whitehead or Delgado.

The best incoming freshman imo is jalen brunson

SPK I said DePaul doesn't have the talent of a whitehead or Delgado.

The best incoming freshman imo is jalen brunson

What does best freshman have to do with this conversation???

Based on play to date, Garrett Jr. of DePaul could be considered better than Delgado and Whitehead so far.

I'm sure Willard will have his team playing together, they'll be hungry, they'll fight, they'll be greater than the sum of their parts, they'll adjust and adapt when necessary, and be a tough out.

Right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT